The Concept of God

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    I wonder if atheists would "recommend" their way of believing (not believing) i mean what does it give you? 
    The power to think critically.
    The ability to appreciate the world much more deeply.
    The hope that someday people will stop killing and hurting each other due to their self-delusions.

Faith doesn't limit the abality to think critically.

I appreciate the world very much and deeply.

I agree and also hope people will stop hurting and kill each other. People won't stop killing each other even if lets say, religion was forbidden.

People will always find reasons to kill each other sadly.

in some ways, it can. look at that evangelical leader who said "god has given trump the authority to take out kim jong un". 

I disagree with gambs saying atheists appreciate the world more deeply. I think a lot of theists believe in god for the very reason of their appreciation of the wonders around them. some of them even cite that as proof of god in and of itself. 

To me, the appreciation part depends on whether they are creationists or not.

Understanding the enormous, beautiful complexity of evolutionary biology leads, in my opinion, to a far deeper appreciation for the natural world than the simplistic thinking of "it's that way because God made it that way".
    I think it depends on the person, not their belief system. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    I wonder if atheists would "recommend" their way of believing (not believing) i mean what does it give you? 
    The hope that someday people will stop killing and hurting each other due to their self-delusions.

I agree and also hope people will stop hurting and kill each other. People won't stop killing each other even if lets say, religion was forbidden.

in some ways, it can. look at that evangelical leader who said "god has given trump the authority to take out kim jong un". 

I disagree with gambs saying atheists appreciate the world more deeply. I think a lot of theists believe in god for the very reason of their appreciation of the wonders around them. some of them even cite that as proof of god in and of itself. 

Understanding the enormous, beautiful complexity of evolutionary biology leads, in my opinion, to a far deeper appreciation for the natural world than the simplistic thinking of "it's that way because God made it that way".
    It could be that we are using terms differently, but I don't believe that one can have a "deep appreciation" for something if one has no understanding of the thing's complexity. You can have a strong appreciation, but not a deep appreciation. That's the scientist in my speaking, though. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

It could be that we are using terms differently, but I don't believe that one can have a "deep appreciation" for something if one has no understanding of the thing's complexity. You can have a strong appreciation, but not a deep appreciation. That's the scientist in my speaking, though. 

being religious doesn't necessarily negate their ability to have both. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my brother, for example, is deeply religious, but also a very intelligent scientist. I don't fully understand how he can reconcile those, but he does. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

Then you missed my part about "depends on whether they are creationists or not"
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

why would that have an impact on how they view the world around them? how the world was created and how long ago, in my mind, doesn't make a difference. I might not have a full understanding of creationist beliefs, I'll admit, however. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

why would that have an impact on how they view the world around them? how the world was created and how long ago, in my mind, doesn't make a difference. I might not have a full understanding of creationist beliefs, I'll admit, however. 
    If one believes that the world was created as-is by some mystical being, then that's incompatible with a deeper understanding and appreciation for the amazing forces of evolution and the changes they have wrought. 

I would think rhat we've all had the experience of seeing something (maybe a complex engineering project) and thinking "oh, that's cool", and then having its inner workings explained, and having your mind blown by that. 

I disagree. I think one can have a different belief on how something works yet still have an equal appreciation for it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

This, and in addition, belief in afterlife inherently diminishes the current life.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I disagree. I think one can have a different belief on how something works yet still have an equal appreciation for it. 
    I disagree.
    Are you telling me that any old Joe can have an equal appreciation for a masterpiece symphony to a composer or performer?
    Can someone who doesn't know how to make Kraft Mac and cheese have an equal appreciation for the finest gourmet meal?
    You have to truly know something to truly appreciate it.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, then. Where evolution is indisputable, a "different belief" is an incorrect belief. 
    rgambs said:
    I disagree.
    Are you telling me that any old Joe can have an equal appreciation for a masterpiece symphony to a composer or performer?
    Can someone who doesn't know how to make Kraft Mac and cheese have an equal appreciation for the finest gourmet meal?
    so because I'm a musician means I'm a bigger fan of Pearl Jam than a non-musician? I don't agree with that at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, then. Where evolution is indisputable, a "different belief" is an incorrect belief. 
    I'm not disputing that. But to me that has nothing to do with someone's appreciation for their surroundings. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

I don't understand how one can figure that a person who literally refuses to accept the essence, nature, complexity, reality and truth of something can possibly be said to have an equal appreciation of it compared to someone who does accept those things. That seems like an illogical statement to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't understand how one can figure that a person who literally refuses to accept the essence, nature, complexity, reality and truth of something can possibly be said to have an equal appreciation of it compared to someone who does accept those things. That seems like an illogical statement to me.
    who is refusing the essence, nature and complexity of something?

we don't know who/what created everything. we just try to explain how it works. how is it that someone who thinks they CAN explain who/what created everything must have a lesser appreciation of it?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

we don't know who/what created everything. we just try to explain how it works. how is it that someone who thinks they CAN explain who/what created everything must have a lesser appreciation of it?

Creationists are refusing to accept the essence, nature and complexity of evolution/the existence of life on Earth.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Creationists are refusing to accept the essence, nature and complexity of evolution/the existence of life on Earth.
    how are they refusing the existence of life on earth? I'm not sure I understand that statement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

how are they refusing the existence of life on earth? I'm not sure I understand that statement. 
    They are refusing to accept the essence, nature and complexity of the existence of life on Earth.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I don't understand either. It's like a really good dessert or beer can't be fully appreciated if one doesn't know how they are made??
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

They are refusing to accept the essence, nature and complexity of the existence of life on Earth.
    well obviously they don't believe in darwin's theory. but you don't think that they believe that their god's creations are infinitely complex?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Are we stating facts or opinions now?? :lol:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

well obviously they don't believe in darwin's theory. but you don't think that they believe that their god's creations are infinitely complex?
    I see an actual difference between fact and fiction. If that distinction means nothing to you, then what you're saying makes sense.
    edited August 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Are we stating facts or opinions now?? :lol:
    What are you looking for with this question? Am I supposed to say that creationism is a valid belief system now or what?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I see an actual difference between fact and fiction. If that distinction means nothing to you, then what you're saying makes sense.
    just not in this context. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    I disagree.
    so because I'm a musician means I'm a bigger fan of Pearl Jam than a non-musician? I don't agree with that at all. 
    Being a "fan" is not the same thing as having a deep appreciation for something. 

Part of the definition of "appreciate" deals with having an understanding. 
    rgambs said:
    I disagree.
    Being a "fan" is not the same thing as having a deep appreciation for something. 

Part of the definition of "appreciate" deals with having an understanding. 
    I knew semantics were going to come into play here. let me rephrase:

so because I'm a musician means I have a deeper appreciation of Pearl Jam than a non-musician?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I don't understand either. It's like a really good dessert or beer can't be fully appreciated if one doesn't know how they are made??
    I think that's obvious and people just don't want to accept their ignorance with humility.
    If you tell me you replaced the tie rod on your truck I can't appreciate your mechanical skills because I don't know shit about mechanics.  I don't know if you rebuilt the whole car or just snapped a piece into place.
    If I've never swung a golf club, can I truly appreciate a 300 yard hole in one?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

just not in this context. 
    But in this context, they deny fact in favour of a fanatical religious belief that they try to present as fact. And they don't just "harmlessly" present it as fact. They actually try to get it taught in schools as though it's a valid scientific theory. This is extremely dangerous, as well as simplistic. I totally reject the idea that creationism allows people to equally conceive the complexities of the natural world, the formation and continuance of life on Earth. I think such a statement is a literal absurdity.
    and there you have it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2017
    and there you have it. 
    And there you have what? Seriously, what in the fuck am I allowed to say so that you and Foxy don't chastise me for MY beliefs?? You defend those with religious beliefs, but then I express my own you are all snide about it. It's bullshit, and completely biased and hypocritical. I can't even believe I am now actually having to defend myself for being against CREATIONISTS of all things. Gimme a break. I'm not going to feel guilty about not humouring religious fanatics.