The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Joined a private club.  Loving it so far.  No tee times.  Only busy weekend mornings.  I usually don't golf at peak times so it works out great for me.   Should be a bargain if I can get out there enough.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I was just reminded that at the Master's this year, Spieth, while knowing cameras and microphones were picking up what he was saying asked Greller "what would Arnie do, Mike?"  

COME ON. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    ed243421 said:
    Still don't understand these silly rules.  His ball was on a mound with an unplayable lie.  Okay, why can't he just place the ball on the mound in a place where it isn't unplayable?  Or at the base of the mound instead of wasting so much time.  If you need to go 20 yards back then you hit a shitty shot and should get more than a one stroke penalty.  

Happy Jordan won but these rules are stupid.
    The penalty for doing so is one stroke. Your three options include going back to the point where you played your previous stroke, taking a drop within two club lengths, or moving straight back anywhere along an extension of a line between the flagstick and where your ball originally came to rest.

the practice area is probably deemed part of the course in a local rule

I understand it was completely part of the rules.  Any one of us who took 30 minutes on a hole would be kicked off the course.  HE could have dropped 1 yard behind where his ball landed (which is much closer to the "play as it lies" spirit), but he chose (within the rules) to go to the driving range. 

Anyway, they play at courses with no trees or water, so they can't get into much trouble. 

I don't know about that. Links courses are full of danger. The rough can be nearly impossible to hit out of. Not to mention the bunkers where you may have to hit out backwards just to get out of the thing. Pros are pros and usually play the holes as smart as possible- stay away from bunkers or choosing shots that even with a miss they're not in the horrors. Factor in a day with heavy wind on a links course and you'll be wishing the only hazards were trees and water. lol
    eddiec said:
    ed243421 said:
    Still don't understand these silly rules.  His ball was on a mound with an unplayable lie.  Okay, why can't he just place the ball on the mound in a place where it isn't unplayable?  Or at the base of the mound instead of wasting so much time.  If you need to go 20 yards back then you hit a shitty shot and should get more than a one stroke penalty.  

Happy Jordan won but these rules are stupid.
    The penalty for doing so is one stroke. Your three options include going back to the point where you played your previous stroke, taking a drop within two club lengths, or moving straight back anywhere along an extension of a line between the flagstick and where your ball originally came to rest.

the practice area is probably deemed part of the course in a local rule

I understand it was completely part of the rules.  Any one of us who took 30 minutes on a hole would be kicked off the course.  HE could have dropped 1 yard behind where his ball landed (which is much closer to the "play as it lies" spirit), but he chose (within the rules) to go to the driving range. 

Anyway, they play at courses with no trees or water, so they can't get into much trouble. 

I don't know about that. Links courses are full of danger. The rough can be nearly impossible to hit out of. Not to mention the bunkers where you may have to hit out backwards just to get out of the thing. Pros are pros and usually play the holes as smart as possible- stay away from bunkers or choosing shots that even with a miss they're not in the horrors. Factor in a day with heavy wind on a links course and you'll be wishing the only hazards were trees and water. lol
    Spieth didn't hit a ton of fairways and won.  The rough or long grass was pretty thin on the Open Course.  I get it though that the wind can be brutal.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I was just reminded that at the Master's this year, Spieth, while knowing cameras and microphones were picking up what he was saying asked Greller "what would Arnie do, Mike?"  

COME ON. 
    Give it a rest, man. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

COME ON. 
    Give it a rest, man. 
    Come on. What would arnie do? Really? In the middle of the masters? 
    Tiger 72nd hole at Torrey: "What would Jack do here, Stevie?"

Stevie: "shut the fuck up and make the putt"

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Tiger 72nd hole at Torrey: "What would Jack do here, Stevie?"

Stevie: "shut the fuck up and make the putt"

Hahaha.  So true though.
    Nice featured group on the app this morning with Spieth, Koepka and Sergio.
    edited August 2017
    Nice featured group on the app this morning with Spieth, Koepka and Sergio.
    Yeah, no complaints here.  Got through a big presentation yesterday so smooth sailing at work today and tomorrow, knock on wood.

With Koepka just clapping that dude in the head.  I got drilled in the neck by a ball at the BC Open when I was probably 13 or so by Peter Jacobson. It actually derailed his final round and he ended up losing. He was very close to the lead at the time.  Bounced off my neck and landed like 20 feet in the wrong direction.  He got up there all pissed bitching about what the hell did this hit?  How did it go over here?..."ME, ya bastard!".  Felt like I got stung by a bee.  I yelled that I got stung until my dad told me it was a ball.  Good times.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    I don't think you could make up a worst leaderboard at this point

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I have Woodland, Lingmerth, Finau, Dustin Johnson, Rory, and Jhonattan Vegas in my DraftKings lineup. I'm alright with the leaderboard for now :grin:
    bflynn1 said:
    I have Woodland, Lingmerth, Finau, Dustin Johnson, Rory, and Jhonattan Vegas in my DraftKings lineup. I'm alright with the leaderboard for now :grin:
    Ha, yeah, I was going to say that I am okay with it as I have Woodland, Lingmerth, Murray and Rory.  I think they are split up between a couple lineups though.  Would love for that to be one right now
    Speith is washed up. 
    Rahm just hit a 5 iron to with about 15-20 feet on a 259 yard par 3.  Wow.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Had Jason Day as my 6th golfer in my fantasy pool and scratched it out and went with Thomas Pieters.
    Yeah that looks like a big mistake.
    Rahm just hit a 5 iron to with about 15-20 feet on a 259 yard par 3.  Wow.
    Golf equipment = out of control
    So many damn commercials.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Thorbjorn has to be the ultimate nordic name.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    dumb question....how do they determine friday tee times? kisner was leading yesterday and has already finished today.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    dumb question....how do they determine friday tee times? kisner was leading yesterday and has already finished today.

I think the general rule is you play in the morning one day and in the afternoon the other day for 1st and 2nd round of tournaments.  So the guys who play Thursday afternoon generally play Friday morning.
    Wobbie said:

I think the general rule is you play in the morning one day and in the afternoon the other day for 1st and 2nd round of tournaments.  So the guys who play Thursday afternoon generally play Friday morning.
    Yeah, they flip them.  First out Thursday is last out Friday and so on.
    thanks, I71

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Watch....the time I forget to put a bet in on Hideki is the time he finally breaks through at a major
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm in this golf majors pool and you can only use each guy once for the year. ...payouts for each tournament and an overall champion.  It's all based on prize money.  I'm 3rd out of 40 going into this weekend.  Felt great about the 5 I picked for the PGA with Rory, Spieth, Hideki, JT and Hoffman.  Of course Spieth is dogshit when I finally used him.  Hopefully Hideki and JT stay near the top...could be looking at a big win if I'm the champion for the whole year.
    I'm in this golf majors pool and you can only use each guy once for the year. ...payouts for each tournament and an overall champion.  It's all based on prize money.  I'm 3rd out of 40 going into this weekend.  Felt great about the 5 I picked for the PGA with Rory, Spieth, Hideki, JT and Hoffman.  Of course Spieth is dogshit when I finally used him.  Hopefully Hideki and JT stay near the top...could be looking at a big win if I'm the champion for the whole year.
    Yeah I'm in a full season one. Pick every week. It's great and I have liked my picks, but I'm doing terribly 
    How about this Chris Stroud guy???  Only qualified by winning last week and now he's 1 back...wild week for this dude.
    Can this get more boring?
    Day wtf. Awful decision