MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Totally agree on the steroid era players.  How Barry Bonds isn't a first-ballot HOFer is just utterly ridiculous.
    I've mentioned this before that Barry Bonds was THE BEST hitter I have ever watched play.  Arod is number 2 on that list.
    No arguments here!

And Raines was still better at running the bases than all of them.  3000 hits?  Yeah, that's practically a guarantee but it isn't a requirement.  Besides, he had 2605.  It's not like he was that far off.
    Fred McGriff and Canseco are just shy of 500 HR's.  Neither of them will ever see the HOF unless they pay admission...
    Also a damn shame. 
    McGriff - 5x All-Star, 3x Silver Slugger, 2x HR leader, WS Champion
    Canseco - 6x All-Star, 4x Silver Slugger, 2x HR leader, 2x WS Champion, ROY, MVP
    I wish I could've seen more of Mike Schmidt's career.  He wasn't that spectacular for average, but my god he had power and was one of the most feared batters of my lifetime.  I was only 12 when he retired but I remember the last few years of his career quite vividly.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I wish I could've seen more of Mike Schmidt's career.  He wasn't that spectacular for average, but my god he had power and was one of the most feared batters of my lifetime.  I was only 12 when he retired but I remember the last few years of his career quite vividly.
    10 gold gloves too
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    One of these years I'm gonna make a trip up to the Hall of Fame. That and the Field of Dreams field are my top two baseball bucket list items.

Raines, Pudge, & Bagwell enshrined this year to the greatest company the sport will ever know. And as much of a critic of Bud Selig I am, he certainly did a lot to help expand the sport during his tenure as acting and sitting commissioner.

That said, The Hall is still incomplete without Rose and Bonds.

two juicers, so I think bonds has a chance.

HOF is great and cooperstown is a cool little town. years ago, my wife (GF then) and I flew to chicago, caught a cubs game, rented a car ("you won't be leaving cook county, will you? "ohhhh, no"), drove to cooperstown and on to boston for a sox game. then, back to chicago. wrigley >> fenway.

I don't know if they still have the "theater" at the HOF, but I got choked up in there. I had a buddy who said the exact same thing happened to him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Totally agree on the steroid era players.  How Barry Bonds isn't a first-ballot HOFer is just utterly ridiculous.
    I've mentioned this before that Barry Bonds was THE BEST hitter I have ever watched play.  Arod is number 2 on that list.
    No arguments here!

And Raines was still better at running the bases than all of them.  3000 hits?  Yeah, that's practically a guarantee but it isn't a requirement.  Besides, he had 2605.  It's not like he was that far off.
    Fred McGriff and Canseco are just shy of 500 HR's.  Neither of them will ever see the HOF unless they pay admission...
    Also a damn shame. 
    McGriff - 5x All-Star, 3x Silver Slugger, 2x HR leader, WS Champion
    Canseco - 6x All-Star, 4x Silver Slugger, 2x HR leader, 2x WS Champion, ROY, MVP
    When Canseco did the 40/40 that was such a huge deal.  I remember that very vividly and he asking for the base after he stole it.

I do think McGwire should be in, one trick pony or not.  He was fun to watch.  He also has the magic # of 500hr.
    Wobbie said:
    One of these years I'm gonna make a trip up to the Hall of Fame. That and the Field of Dreams field are my top two baseball bucket list items.

Raines, Pudge, & Bagwell enshrined this year to the greatest company the sport will ever know. And as much of a critic of Bud Selig I am, he certainly did a lot to help expand the sport during his tenure as acting and sitting commissioner.

HOF is great and cooperstown is a cool little town. years ago, my wife (GF then) and I flew to chicago, caught a cubs game, rented a car ("you won't be leaving cook county, will you? "ohhhh, no"), drove to cooperstown and on to boston for a sox game. then, back to chicago. wrigley >> fenway.

I don't know if they still have the "theater" at the HOF, but I got choked up in there. I had a buddy who said the exact same thing happened to him.
    Astros memorabilia got you, huh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wobbie said:

Astros memorabilia got you, huh?

yeah.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Don Baylor and Darren Daulton?  both from cancer :disappointed:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Don Baylor and Darren Daulton?  both from cancer :disappointed:
    Horrible news...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    What were the chances this could happen?

https://www.thescore.com/news/1346688

Harper hits 150th homer at exact same age as Trout

Is it fate, or merely coincidence?

Bryce Harper and Mike Trout are bound to be linked throughout their MLB careers. Each played his first full season in 2012, and both lay legitimate claim to being the face of the sport.

Harper hit the 150th home run of his career on Monday night against the Miami Marlins at 24 years, 295 days old. Trout hit his 150th home run on May 28, 2016. He was also 24 years, 295 days old, as reported by ESPN Stats & Info.

Both players won their respective Rookie of the Year awards in 2012. Trout won the American League MVP in 2014 and 2016 while Harper took home the National League's top prize in 2015.

The early edge goes to Trout, who has been steadily amazing since overcoming a rough - and brief - 2011 audition before setting the baseball world on fire the following season. He has finished in the top two in MVP voting in five straight seasons. He's also tallied 52.6 WAR compared to Harper's 27.8 (courtesy: Fangraphs)

Related: Harper launches 150th career home run

Harper has, instead, alternated between excellent and forgettable. He struggled mightily in 2016, a season sandwiched between two MVP-caliber campaigns.

The one milestone Harper has a clearer path at reaching first, however, is a World Series Championship. His Washington Nationals sit atop the NL East, and could conceivably challenge the Los Angeles Dodgers for the pennant. Trout's Los Angeles Angels may be in the wild-card race, but the Halos' losing record a makes a playoff berth increasingly unlikely.
    there are a LOT of shitty local broadcasters for MLB.

as a Giants fan, I'm lucky to have HOFer Jon Miller and Kruk and Kuip.

the rockies have always had hacks....tonight, tied at 1-1, 2 outs, bottom 9 at cleveland, 1st and 3rd, one of their dopes says "you gotta watch jackson at first"...uh, no you don't....walkoff 3 run HR...sweet!

harry caray sucked, too.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited August 2017
    Wobbie said:

the rockies have always had hacks....tonight, tied at 1-1, 2 outs, bottom 9 at cleveland, 1st and 3rd, one of their dopes says "you gotta watch jackson at first"...uh, no you don't....walkoff 3 run HR...sweet!

harry caray sucked, too.

Cards radio guys are good. John Rooney has an old school delivery and Shannon is just drunk enough to make sense, but what a classic voice.

TV guys aren't great. Hrboski and McLaughlin struggle to get along. The on field guy comes off like a local cable access news guy. We also get to deal with Tim mccarver 20 or 30 times a year. Amazing when you can get him rambling about his playing days, awful when it comes to providing color or tying those cool stories into the the current narrative.

I never thought Caray was good, but I attributed that to catching him during his declining years. Mostly thought he was hyped b/c he fit right into the loveable loser thing. Still, I'd like to hear him try some of these current last names on for size.
    DewieCox said:
    Wobbie said:

harry caray sucked, too.

Cards radio guys are good. John Rooney has an old school delivery and Shannon is just drunk enough to make sense, but what a classic voice.

TV guys aren't great. Hrboski and McLaughlin struggle to get along. The on field guy comes off like a local cable access news guy. We also get to deal with Tim mccarver 20 or 30 times a year. Amazing when you can get him rambling about his playing days, awful when it comes to providing color or tying those cool stories into the the current narrative.

I never thought Caray was good, but I attributed that to catching him during his declining years. Mostly thought he was hyped b/c he fit right into the loveable loser thing. Still, I'd like to hear him try some of these current last names on for size.
    Tim McCarver is the worst broadcaster I have ever heard in my life...  Awful.

He used to be on here in NY for the Mets and he was on with Ralph Kiner.  Kiner used to booze up during games and get on McCarvers nerves which was funny.  McCarver would get so irritated and you could hear him huff and haw at Kiner.  That made listening to McCarver bearable.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Speaking of Harry Caray, as a Braves fan I enjoyed his son Skip broadcasting Braves games. I thought he and Pete Van Wieren did a great job together. RIP Skip and Pete.

Skip's son, Chip, is now doing Braves games. I wouldn't be upset if they decided to replace him.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Best announcer ever is Brockmire

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Harry Caray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>miles>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> That fucking dickhead Hawk Harrelson on the southside.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Jay Bruce to the Indians
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Jay Bruce to the Indians
    Not even a full season with the Mets, huh.
    Wobbie said:

really?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Jonny Miller sucks 
    Try to unsee this. A simple dot makes the logo look like a bird with arms

chinese-happy.jpg
    Try to unsee this. A simple dot makes the logo look like a bird with arms

Looks like Harmon Killebrew got shot...
    Anybody see Johan Camargo hurt himself trying NOT to touch the foul line?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Anybody see Johan Camargo hurt himself trying NOT to touch the foul line?
    #Barves

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    what does everyone think of the alternate/nickname jerseys for Aug. 25-27?  It's kinda cool I guess.  Kinda weird.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/08/09/players-weekend-jersey-nicknames-mlb-teams

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited August 2017
    I think it's cool that they do it for a weekend.  Some of the nicknames leave much to be desired, though.  No one has ever called Bryce Harper "Big Kid," for example.

Kyle Seager's is funny.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    what does everyone think of the alternate/nickname jerseys for Aug. 25-27?  It's kinda cool I guess.  Kinda weird.

Nope.  Don't like the colors nor do I like the nicknames.

The Jersey is the one thing that I would like left alone.

terrible.

just terrible.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    You guys do know the purpose of this, right?  It coincides with the Little League World Series and helps out youth development programs.  Hence the bright, "youthful" color schemes, etc.  (Seriously, some of the caps looks awesome!) 
    The jerseys will have a patch on the sleeve where each player can write in the name of a person or organization they consider crucial to their development and will be auctioned off with the proceeds going to the MLBPA Youth Development Foundation.
    Many of the players are excited about it because they, too, played in the LLWS.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    igotid88 said:
    Jay Bruce to the Indians
    Not even a full season with the Mets, huh.
    Tribe needed some help with Brantley going down again.  Lonnie still out today.  Plus they are just not hitting home runs.  Bruce has a + arm in the outfield.  In theory he could make Santana expendable too if he continues his first half struggle.  Cleveland is in shock that Dolan is actually spending $.