The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Pro tip(s) time:

Any time you go there, try to go during slow hours. If you go during normal lunch or business hours, expect a hell of a wait (hour or two to be seated) While waiting, you have to stay on site. During this wait, there is no drinking in the parking lot. Even if it is beer you just got from the to go window.

If you go to the brewery, try some of their food. It often weird sounding stuff but very good.

You can only buy beer to go at their to go door. You will have a 2 case limit. If you get 2 cases then go eat, you can buy 2 more.

Before you go there to purchase Zombie Dust, check their website or call for their most updated beer lists. You'd really hate to get there and find out they don't have it that day. 

Most importantly, if you go there to get Zombie Dust, make damn sure you go into the brewpub even if it is just to sit at the bar for a drink. You think Zombie Dust is good? You think it tastes better when it was brewed the day before or 2 days ago (it does)? You gotta try the stuff on tap. Soooo good! If they have Zombie v. Unicorn, that shit MAY be even better.

*Non Floyd's related, if you're in the area, try stopping at One Trick Pony in Lansing, IL (right off 80/94/294 and Torrent Ave.). It's a small brewery that is absolutely phenomenal! Especially if you're an IPA guy (which why else would you be going to get Zombie Dust?). They are probably my 2nd favorite brewery around. 3 Floyd's, One Trick Pony, Greenbush.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^^^ Thanks for the tips!  Will definitely keep all of that in mind when I go. 
    bbiggs said:
    Awesome! Let me know of your experience. Hope all goes well for you. Also, if they seem like they (FFF as a whole) have their heads so far up their own asses, it's only because they do. :) 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    bbiggs said:
    So, did you end up going out there?
    bbiggs said:
    So, did you end up going out there?
    I didn't get there yet but looking forward to it.  Going to try and make it within the next month or so. 
    Is the Ninja v Unicorn readily available in and around Chicagoland?

I'm thinking some of us craft beer folk should partake in a bottle share of sorts. I've never really done one before. I have decent access to Zombie Dust usually. 
    ^^^ Yes. It's brewed by Pipeworks which is a Chicago brewery so it can be found in 16 oz. 4 packs in many places in and around the city. Very good stuff and worth a try. I like the idea of a bottle share to try some good stuff from other regions but not sure how it would work.  If you figure out the logistics, count me in :)
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Got these in the mail today.

#FHP
  • HawkeyeJamHawkeyeJam Posts: 209
    The hype behind Toppling Goliath is real. If you are in Eastern Iowa, Southern Minnesota, or Southwestern Wisconsin in is absolutely necessary to buy the bombers of this stuff. The cans are good but are made at a refinery in FL.

The stuff brewed in Decorah,IA is ridculous

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Very nice!  I recently had the Xhops Teal which was pretty good.  I always stock up on some Toppling Goliath bombers whenever I'm in Wisconsin.  The double dry hopped Psuedo Sue is one of my favorite beers.
    A

A Predator..... Approaches!!!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited August 2017
    Had a chance to stop by Troegs this weekend and also discovered Snitz Brewing from Lebanon,PA. Troegs speaks for itself and Snitz had some very good beers. Snitz had this smoked bologna beer that had a very unique taste.

"Snitz Creek Brewery"
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Had some 2.5 year old Avery Tweak from.the original Avery (not tourist Avery).. Was in my fridge all that time. LIsted as 17.8% abv but was definitely  more.

From Beer Advocate...."Tweak is Avery Mephistopheles Imperial Stout, with a chunk of coffee thrown in. If you haven’t geeked out enough, the brewery aged in four months in bourbon barrels."

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I picked these up during my travels. Both were aged by the brewery already. 2013 and 2014 respectively. I just hope they are ok in my luggage...
    the town of Visalia has 4 breweries in it... FOUR!  All within a mile of each other. How cool is that!?!
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483

Have really enjoyed the 3 IPA's I have tried from southern tier.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    mcgruff10 said:
    How's the DFH? Heading to their brewery for the third time next week. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    mcgruff10 said:
    it was really good.  the sour ale was disgusting.
    How is the dfh brewery? worth the trip?
    I've tried on sour ale. Iy was enough to convince me to never try another.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    That Lupu-Luau is soooo good.  Had it on draft last week.  Not as bitter as most IPAs and the coconut is very subtle at the end, not overpowering or too sweet.  Great blend of top end bitterness, smooth & refreshing in body, and just the right amount of sweetness to complement the back end.  Bravo to Mr. Calagione on that one!  Hope there's still some left in the keg when I go to the bar tonight.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Yea those are tough to get down. Thinking of it makes me cringe.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Happy National IPA Day!  Celebrating with this delicious IPA from Mikerphone Brewing...Great brewery that just opened about 7 mins from my house. 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Love me some Sour beers... Y'all are cray.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Love me some Sour beers... Y'all are cray.
    I find them to be hit and miss.The Beatifications I currently have are pretty good.
    #FHP
    Good as hell!!!

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    https://goo.gl/images/oPBzym
    I still don't know how to post pictures because I haven't taken the time to learn.
    Spotted Cow is wonderful!
    Today's selection.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Joe I inboxed you about hotel recommendations for dogfish.
    anybody else have any feedback on the dogfish brewery?  cool for a night? hotels, restaurants? I'm thinking of heading down in nov. for my 40th.  (yikes!)
    RYME said:
    https://goo.gl/images/oPBzym
    I still don't know how to post pictures because I haven't taken the time to learn.
    Spotted Cow is wonderful!
    Spotted Cow is indeed a damn good beer. New Glarus has some other good ones as well.  I'd recommend trying the others if you haven't already.