Gang Of Youths

No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
Its been ages since I've been on the forum, but I wanted to get on and share this incredible band from Australia. They have an LP "The Positions" which came out last year and also just released a new EP last week. Have seen them live earlier this year and they were brilliant.

I actually got into them by chance. Their lead singer was the support act for Chris Cornell's tour of Australia and it was great to see a humble and funny guy really taken back by the opportunity to support Chris.

Here is a link to their youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/GANGOFYOUTHSBAND
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
*BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
*BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
*QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
*EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
*Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
*EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014

Comments

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Great band!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    redraw said:

Great band!!!

Saw them at the Tivoli a few months ago and he is a magnetic front man. One of the best front men I've seen, your eyes are just drawn to him when he is on stage. Has a certain quality about him, which is similar to what Michael Hutchence had.

The new EP is really good, an extension of The Positions really. They do a stellar cover of Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell on the EP

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Bump for the countdown to the album release next Friday. Heard another awesome new song yesterday. That's 4 great songs that have been released. 

Great review of the album in the new Rolling Stone - can't wait to hear it!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    New song bump 

https://youtu.be/9URhKk22xbM

Album in 5 days :)
    redraw said:
    Great review of the album in the new Rolling Stone - can't wait to hear it!!!
    Just read the review, the album is going to be awesome. Only 4 more days. It's also album of the week on Triple J :)

This is the highlight of my week!

I watched this interview, with some performances of new songs, over the weekend

https://youtu.be/IQm8ooEfLWY

New song bump 

https://youtu.be/9URhKk22xbM

Album in 5 days :)
    Love the film clip - that's some serious Drone work for that shot. So hyped for this album - I have loved everything I've heard so far

No Coder said:

Thanks for posting. A very insightful interview, love the songs. I can't wait for Friday. 
    No Coder said:

Thanks for posting. A very insightful interview, love the songs. I can't wait for Friday. 

Are you going to see them on their tour? I've got tickets to see their Brisbane show an am about as excited as I get about anything to see them. I can't get enough of their music

Yes we are going in just over 3 weeks to the Sydney show...I'm so excited too. 
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:

Are you going to see them on their tour? I've got tickets to see their Brisbane show an am about as excited as I get about anything to see them. I can't get enough of their music
    I really need to try to get up to the Tiv in a couple of weeks!!!!
    redraw said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:

Do it...you won't regret it :) I heard another song yesterday, this album is going to be awesome. Does anyone know if it is streaming anywhere? I've preordered it but it won't arrive until mid next week. 
    redraw said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:

Do it...you won't regret it :) I heard another song yesterday, this album is going to be awesome. Does anyone know if it is streaming anywhere? I've preordered it but it won't arrive until mid next week. 

It will be only all the streaming services on Friday (Apple Music, Spotify etc). I pre-ordered the limited edition vinyl from J B , which I'm sure won't be here until at least next week. inyl is so bloody expensive nowadays (damn you hipsters!!).

The Friday night show at the Tiv is sold out, but Thursday's still has a few tickets left. At the moment, these guys are easily my fav live show, other than PJ

Wow I'm so excited for the show, I've only seen Dave solo supporting Chris Cornell and he was amazing. 
    My preorder is from jb, they usually arrive the week after release :bawling: that's why I asked about the streaming. Triple J used to stream the album when it was album of the week, but it doesn't look like they do that anymore. 

Redraw: you'll be disappointed if you miss out!
    You will not be disappointed with the album - it is excellent!! Been listening since I first got up, thanks to Apple Music and love it!

I'm so jealous...I probably won't have time to listen until tomorrow. I'm so looking forward to it, I've heard about half the songs on Triple J. 
    I agree it's excellent... 16 great songs. Love the strings :smiley::smiley::smiley::angry:
    I can't believe we haven't enticed anyone else to listen, if it wasn't for Chris Cornell and his great choice in support acts, we may still be oblivious to the awesome band. 
    So true, I've tried to spread the word whenever I can and have a few friends that are into them also. They should be huge!!

Off to see them tonight in the 2nd Brisbane show - can't wait!!

Wish I was going with u No Coder!!!
    Have fun  :)

Keep an eye out on the Tivoli and GOY 's social media pages. They released 50 tix for last nights gig late in the afternoon and they may do the same for tonights

Have an amazing night. A week until I see them :) Any reviews on last night's show? 
    Have an amazing night. A week until I see them :) Any reviews on last night's show? 

Can't see any reviews anywhere and all the videos on Youtube are from the streaming services crap

I'll try and get on tomorrow and give an update on how amazing they were

No Coder said:

Can't see any reviews anywhere and all the videos on Youtube are from the streaming services crap

I'll try and get on tomorrow and give an update on how amazing they were

Thanks I'll be looking forward to it :)
    Okay, my eyes are hanging out of my head, but I'm up to take my kids to their sport.  
    WHAT A GREAT GIG!!! 
    The Fountaineers were the first support act and I thought they we pretty damn good. Singer has a nice deep voice and they are really solid. I must going to check out their album 
    Gordi was next and she has a new album out now. She was good, but not much confidence when talking in between songs. A bit meh for me

Then it was time! They came onstage around 9:40. And from that time in they smashed it. Played a lot off the new album and surprisingly played a few songs that I thought would be closers about mid way. Dave is a seriously charismatic front man. He's the best front man Australia's seen since Michael Hutchence. The band was fantastic! Played for 2 hours with only a minute off stage before the encore, which was killer. Lighting and backdrop was awesome as well. 
    Best  gig I've been too in ages!!! 

Awesome, thanks for letting me live vicariously through you! I'm so excited for next Friday night. Did you take any kids? My 13year old is coming along, he's just as excited as I am.  I can't believe they played for 2hours. I'm loving the new album and can't wait to hear the new songs live. 
    No, my 15 year olds listen to shit music!! 

This song has me totally hooked, can't get enough of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5prFYcgSI

edited September 2017
    Oh my gosh No Coder, you said they would be awesome...but I didn't realise how awesome. Right from the start Dave captured the audience. They played for just over 2hours. Nearly every song off Go Farther in Lightness. 

I loved the combo of Let me down Easy into Magnolia and The Deepest Sighs. I didn't think they could get any better then they took a few minutes break for the encore and the last 3 songs were just amazing.

Dave was happy to be in his home town and was in great spirits. The band rocked hard and were very entertaining. I agree Daves the best Australian frontman, I've seen for a long time. I can't get enough of this new album, seeing them live has me listening to it first thing this morning!

If you're in Australia and GOY are playing close to you...go, you won't be disappointed there's a reason why the album debuted at number one.