Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    dudeman said:
    Yeah man. I'm really excited to get them finished. The C-V's aren't the speakers I would recommend for jazz or classical music but they are incredible rock speakers. That works for me because rock is 99% of my collection. Restoring them has been pretty fun so far.

Those HD-10's are awesome, too. BA does cohesiveness better than most. They sound much bigger than the enclosures should allow and they match crossover points to drivers so well that the individual components seem to disappear. I'd like to find a pair for myself some day. 
    BA's are good rock speakers.  Not great on nuance and I wouldn't hook them up to my TT to listen to some John Coltrane.  But if you want to jam some AIC while staining some furniture or washing the car, they will punch you in the face.  
    I remember your CV's.  They had a good reputation for sure for being loud and plenty of punch too.  Aren't they like 50 or 60 lbs each??
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, they're heavy. The cabinets are deep and built solid with a lot of bracing. 

Sonically, they punch and pound like no other 3-ways I've heard. Not the best imaging, but that's just about using a different tool for a different job. 

I have a decent Klipsch setup and a pair of Wharfedales that are incredible for detail and finesse. 

The Vegas are just a lot of fun. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

I got the crossovers out last night. Recapping them over the next few days.

That should be the last step. The woofers have been refoamed, mids replaced and I dealt with the little cosmetic issues that pop up over the course of three owners and two and a half decades of use. 

I even refinished the speaker mounting screws by tumbling them with walnut media and applying black epoxy to the heads. They look brand new. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    dudeman said:

I got the crossovers out last night. Recapping them over the next few days.

That should be the last step. The woofers have been refoamed, mids replaced and I dealt with the little cosmetic issues that pop up over the course of three owners and two and a half decades of use. 

I even refinished the speaker mounting screws by tumbling them with walnut media and applying black epoxy to the heads. They look brand new. 
    You close to NY?  You want to have fun and help me with mine?
    edited May 2017
    Well I'm back in Michigan now but it's closer than Florida. It would be a bit of a drive. However, I'd be happy to talk you through any of things you want to do. 

What are you thinking of doing to yours? 
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • I'd like to post some pics of some of my gear, which btw if anyone is near Charlotte, NC I may be downsizing so lemme know if you need/want something and I'll see if I can help. I'd rather my items go to a good home than try to make some extra $ myself or sell to a flipper. Anyways I can't get my pics to post on hear, any recommendations. I use a Mac with Firefox.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I'd like to post some pics of some of my gear, which btw if anyone is near Charlotte, NC I may be downsizing so lemme know if you need/want something and I'll see if I can help. I'd rather my items go to a good home than try to make some extra $ myself or sell to a flipper. Anyways I can't get my pics to post on hear, any recommendations. I use a Mac with Firefox.

:lol: strange you mentioned this because I have some gear that I am going to be selling soon and I live in Asheville NC.

I will post a list on here once I get everything inventoried.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

I'd like to post some pics of some of my gear, which btw if anyone is near Charlotte, NC I may be downsizing so lemme know if you need/want something and I'll see if I can help. I'd rather my items go to a good home than try to make some extra $ myself or sell to a flipper. Anyways I can't get my pics to post on hear, any recommendations. I use a Mac with Firefox.
    I don't think pics are necessary quite yet... what do you have to move?  I can never stop buying gear.  
    I'm looking for a Tube amp
    Anything in particular? 
  • I'm in a pancreatic flare, I'll try to make a list when I recover. I'm getting too many amps, receivers, and speakers, and I'm not including my horde of musicians gear as I collect and play everything so I that stuff as well. I just got married and I have to make room or it won't last too long, that's a joke btw.. kinda.. BTW, hospitals suck.....
  • kateikatei DC Metro Posts: 76
    Orbit u turn
    Denon late 90's Cd changer
    Carver ct6 preamp, 1995
    Carver tfm35x amp, 1995
    Polk Audio monitor 10 speakers, 1980's, made in USA

I'm in a pancreatic flare, I'll try to make a list when I recover. I'm getting too many amps, receivers, and speakers, and I'm not including my horde of musicians gear as I collect and play everything so I that stuff as well. I just got married and I have to make room or it won't last too long, that's a joke btw.. kinda.. BTW, hospitals suck.....
    Good luck with your health and congrats on the marriage. I hope both go the way you want them to. 
    katei said:
    Orbit u turn
    Carver ct6 preamp, 1995
    Carver tfm35x amp, 1995

That's a couple setup there. I don't know if you planned it, but all of those books are probably helping the Orbit. They are adding mass and reducing vibrations from footfalls and bass frequencies when you turn up the volume. I know those Polks have been known to shake some shit. 

• kateikatei DC Metro Posts: 76
    dudeman said:
    katei said:
    Orbit u turn
    Carver ct6 preamp, 1995
    Carver tfm35x amp, 1995

That's a couple setup there. I don't know if you planned it, but all of those books are probably helping the Orbit. They are adding mass and reducing vibrations from footfalls and bass frequencies when you turn up the volume. I know those Polks have been known to shake some shit. 

Yup, you got it, couple est. 1992.  Original owners of all but the speakers.  Husband was super psyched to have an excuse to get them-had always wanted them-the plunge back into vinyl was the perfect excuse.
    dudeman said:
    Anything in particular? 
    I'm thinking of upgrading to a tube amp but not sure if I really need to?

Also my receiver is giving me a little bit of trouble with the radio.  Dial movement is weird.  I'll try to tune in a station but will have to move the dial back and forth to get it tuned.

Easy or hard fix?
    It depends. Calibrating a tuner can be a pain but yours might be an easy fix without having to do a calibration. 

Sometimes one of the pulleys loosens on its mount and can cause the symptom you're describing. You'd have to take the top cover off to inspect the line, pulleys and mounts. If anything is loose, tightening it might be curative. 

If not, best to take it to tech. 

Also, be very careful if you get into the receiver yourself. Even when it's not plugged in, there are voltages in the caps that can seriously injure or kill you. 

Good luck! 

• dudeman said:
    I'm in a pancreatic flare, I'll try to make a list when I recover. I'm getting too many amps, receivers, and speakers, and I'm not including my horde of musicians gear as I collect and play everything so I that stuff as well. I just got married and I have to make room or it won't last too long, that's a joke btw.. kinda.. BTW, hospitals suck.....
    Good luck with your health and congrats on the marriage. I hope both go the way you want them to. 
    Thanks so much, I'm getting there health wise. And the marriage is awesome, I could not ask for a better wife. She's a fellow member of this Strangest Tribe and puts up with, and even reinforces most of the time, all my collecting/hoarding of memorabilia, audio, and musician's instrument obsessions.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Getting ready to move in about a month... Which means it's almost that not so wonderful time to pack up all of my stereo equipment, only to unpack it and set it all up again.
    Haha. I did that at same thing last fall. I still don't have the setup finished. I'm waiting on an equipment rack that is apparently more difficult to build than a space shuttle. 

Anyway, good luck with the move. I hope it's as uneventful as possible. 
    dudeman said:
    Haha. I did that at same thing last fall. I still don't have the setup finished. I'm waiting on an equipment rack that is apparently more difficult to build than a space shuttle. 

Anyway, good luck with the move. I hope it's as uneventful as possible. 
    Waht is the rack?  I'm in the market for something new.  

I actually don't mind tearing down and rebuilding.  Gives me a chance to re-organize the wires that get jacked up over time.  Although moving sucks
    It's a custom deal from a local carpenter/furniture builder. It was supposed to be done a week after I talked to the builder but it's been several. 
    Finally got the Vega's finished. Recapped crossovers, refoamed woofers, reinforced cabinet bracing, replaced crappy midrange drivers, sealed speaker mounting and crossover plate holes and reblacked and waxed all mounting screws. 

Man that took a long time. Here's a couple pics of some of the process: 
    Are they all the original CV drivers?  If so, were they difficult to find?
    The woofers and tweeters are original, the mids had been replaced by the previous owner with cheap aftermarket drivers. I had a pair of good quality spares that were a good match, TS parameters-wise so I put them in. 

Original speakers can be found from secondary sources but CV doesn't support the VS-120 anymore. 
    I gave up on the custom rack for now and just bought one from Best Buy.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^^^^ Looks groovy!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit