The Food Thread

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This thread was like foodforeplay for lunch, yet I ultimately picked up potstickers from the market.

Anti-climactic :angry:
  • Great food takes time even just combining three ingredients can rise to amazing gustatory heights like this great amuse bouche..fresh walnut halves slathered with blue cheese and drizzled with honey...vary the cheese and honey for a different take...so good...
  • Speaking of burgers. I tried to follow this to a tee and it works.  I have done this 4 times this year.  They are amazing.
    It's not hard at all.  Key advice - you can't season the burger after it is cooked. (1:08-1:10).  I use charcoal not gas but I'm sure it would work either way and taste to suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_KMYulI_s

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Burgers on the grill. 85/15. Salt pepper and worch sauce.  And I will put cheese on after they come off the grill!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Great food takes time even just combining three ingredients can rise to amazing gustatory heights like this great amuse bouche..fresh walnut halves slathered with blue cheese and drizzled with honey...vary the cheese and honey for a different take...so good...
    Alright, this I shall try.  Sounds tasty, healthy, and fortifying.

Win/win/win!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    You cant season after it is cooked?  He does that as he approaches 6 mins...he also flips more than once, which flies in the face of what so many others preach.
    I once ate at Hell's Kitchen during a taping and am a Ramsey fan...and I am sure his burger blasts mine.  Odd video, though.  (F Kanye 3 doors down)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ^^^
    I took it as after you take it off the grill there is no sense adding seasoning.  He seasoned while it was still cooking. 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    You cant season after it is cooked?  He does that as he approaches 6 mins...he also flips more than once, which flies in the face of what so many others preach.
    I once ate at Hell's Kitchen during a taping and am a Ramsey fan...and I am sure his burger blasts mine.  Odd video, though.  (F Kanye 3 doors down)
    I took a piss next to Ramsey in Vegas
    hedonist said:
    This thread was like foodforeplay for lunch, yet I ultimately picked up potstickers from the market.

Nothing wrong with potstickers!
    hedonist said:

Nothing wrong with potstickers!
    I love them, but freshly made!  These ones became gummy upon (re)heating.  Even healthy condiment-doctoring couldn't save them.

My co-worker brought in some ripe figs from her sister's trees.  I haven't had one in ages...might try with a bit of honey?
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    mcgruff10 said:
    Italian BBQ: slow cooked ribs, chicken parm, sausage/peppers, chicken cutlets, burgers, dogs, sausage rings, pasta, salad, sides, appetizers and many home made desserts.  
    How many people?! God damn.

fuck is a sausage ring?
    My first thought was a sausage ring was some kind of f'd up proposal. :giggle:
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    I come from the school of smashed thin burgers on the flat top griddle. Never cared for a fat pub style burger.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Get_Right said:
    I come from the school of smashed thin burgers on the flat top griddle. Never cared for a fat pub style burger.
    I agree, if you burger is almost 2 inches thick, you need 4 inches of bread and too much fixins and condiments to keep the ratio reasonable.
    Then it becomes a monstrosity you have to deconstruct and eat with a fork, and that detracts from the burger experience a bit.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I actually (gasp) will go to a Bubba Burger (w/sweet onions) for most of our picnics.  I might have to cook 25-30 burgers and since I do most of the prep and everything else it is not conducive to make the burger's myself.
    Bubba Burgers are far and away the best frozen burgers I have found, for my dollars.  Still can stay juicy and the holes on the top make it easy to know when to flip, unlike many frozen burgers.
    Also unlike most frozen burgers, they dont fuck up my grill.

Miss making ones myself, will need to do that again soon.  Seems I am always cooking volume when making burgers.

My burgers should have....
    Burger
    Fine Cheese
    Grilled Onions
    Garden Tomato
    Boston Lettuce
    A dill chip or two, if they are good
    Some sort of sea salt on the cheese
    Ketchup on the top bun.

Love bacon or mushrooms provided they are quality...either or, not both, for me.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2017
    burgers were a success tonight!  went 85/15, salt pepper and worch sauce.  I put the cheese on the bun and they melted perfectly!!!  I learned something today!
    homemade rice balls and salad as a side.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited August 2017
    What are thoughts on 1000 Island dressing on burgers?  Not mixed *edit - with ketchup, mustard, etc...
    Post edited by hedonist on
    I actually (gasp) will go to a Bubba Burger (w/sweet onions) for most of our picnics.  I might have to cook 25-30 burgers and since I do most of the prep and everything else it is not conducive to make the burger's myself.
    Bubba Burgers are far and away the best frozen burgers I have found, for my dollars.  Still can stay juicy and the holes on the top make it easy to know when to flip, unlike many frozen burgers.
    Also unlike most frozen burgers, they dont fuck up my grill.

Miss making ones myself, will need to do that again soon.  Seems I am always cooking volume when making burgers.

My burgers should have....
    Burger
    Fine Cheese
    Grilled Onions
    Garden Tomato
    Boston Lettuce
    A dill chip or two, if they are good
    Some sort of sea salt on the cheese
    Ketchup on the top bun.

Love bacon or mushrooms provided they are quality...either or, not both, for me.

If you see boxed Fatburgers in a freezer, give those a shot, I think they are better than Bubbas.  But yeah, frozen burgers are nice to have on hand for quick, easy meals.  They improve and spruce up better than a frozen pizza.
    1,000 Island isn't my thing, but the way I see it, nothing should be off limits on a burger.  It's a low quality way of eating beef, so season and garnish and slather in whatever you want and chow!  
    I usually eat American cheese on mine, and I'm a cheese nut.
    The fact is, American cheese is meltygooey cheeseburger royalty.  It just works.  I'm a classic American cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and any/all condiment guy myself.

Fancy burgers are fine too, brie and a pear slice? 
    Avocado and a fried egg?
    Barbeque sauce and cheddar?
    Mushroom and Swiss?
    1,000 Island and shredded lettuce?
    Mayo, ketchup, mustard, miracle whip...all of them together?

I say go for it!  

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I like reuburgers.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Looked it up (NOT on Urban Dic) and see it's on the Bukowski menu =)

For the second time today...Jesus, DK!

Boxed fatburgers.  Will keep an eye out.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Gorgonzola. Crunchy bread. Apple slices.

Melon wrapped in prosciutto.

Caprese salad.

Someone mentioned fresh figs. So good.

And honey!

Sometimes a toasted peanut butter-banana-honey sandwich hits the spot, too. Yum-o!
    Thise all sound good, Hobbes!
    What I want for breakfast, but will not be having this fine morning....

My version of Tamago Gohan

Leftover rice....small bowl full.  I make basmati rice frequently so this is what I like.
    One raw egg, cracked into the bowl if rice
    One or two pieces of bacon - leftover thick cut is my favorite for this....chop into small pieces.
    2 pieces of seaweed.  (They sell nori packets my wife loves...I raid these). Crumple up into a bunch of small pieces.
    Add both to the bowl.
    A sprinkle of some great sea salt, whatever variety you like.

Mix around.  The consistency will completely change.

Add a ittle soy sauce as you go, if desired
    If it is too dry - if you went too heavy on those ingredients - crack another egg.

Most people who know about this food love of mine think it is kinda gross.  It is wonderful, and really, it can be constructed from anything you have left in the fridge or cabinet beyond rice and a raw egg.

Hard salami wrapped around a dollop of cream cheese.

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    That reminds me of one of my favorite snacks... cream cheese spread on a slice of smoked ham wrapped around a dill pickle. So good. 
    rgambs said:

Loaded :whistle:

For breakfast, I'm doing a (much!) lesser version of Hobbes' first offering.  Gala apple, couple of Babybel cheeses and some Wheat Thins.
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:

Loaded :whistle:

For breakfast, I'm doing a (much!) lesser version of Hobbes' first offering.  Gala apple, couple of Babybel cheeses and some Wheat Thins.
    Hahaha loaded until exploded.

Your mind is deliciously twisted!
    :heart:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pepperoncinis stuffed with cream cheese & panchetta.

Btw, burger was a success last night.  Toasted the roll, put the cheese slice (muenster) on the crown, then the burger on top. All toppings on the heel then assembled. While I've never really had the sliding all over the place problem, I have had the bun break apart many a time and that didn't happen last night.  Think I've found a new formula.
    Today's lunch makes up for yesterday's.

Tuna sashimi, avocado and soft lettuce, with sesame/miso/wasabi dressing.

Fantastico!
    hedonist said:
    Today's lunch makes up for yesterday's.

Tuna sashimi, avocado and soft lettuce, with sesame/miso/wasabi dressing.

Fantastico!
    Fuck me running...that sounds good