The Food Thread

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2017
    Simple question: what is everyone's recipe for  burgers when using chop meat?
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    Tonight, fajitas.
    Thin cut skirt steak marinated in garlic, lime, a touch of balsamic vinaigrette, and black pepper slapped on the grill for about 40 seconds, wrapped in flour tortillas with sautéed poblanos, cubanelles, onions, and zucchini.  Have some imported Spanish Manchego cheese and Quesa Fresca to top it, a salsa fresco on the side with Black Krim tomatoes, red onions, poblano, and fresh cilantro.
    All vegetables from the garden of course, if I can't or don't grow it, I do without between the months of May and October.
    Sounds amazing.  Poblanos are one of my favorite peppers.  Beef tacos for us tonight, though very basic ones, just with a homemade seasoning and hot sauce.  

Can we talk about cheese?  I wanna talk about cheese.

What do you like?  Me? I like any type of cheese. Literally never met a cheese I didn't like.  That said, the stinkier the better, give me a smelly ass Limburger or Blue and I will destroy it.  How about a little Camembert?  Hmmmmm.

We are very lucky in Philly with DiBrunos.

Just wait till I start talking about cured meats to go along with it...

mcgruff10 said:
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?
    No less than 15% fat under any circumstances for a beef burger.

Curious what people think about what I do with burgers. Salt, pepper, montreal steak, chili powder (a good amount) and a little bit of worcestershire sauce. I think they are amazing.  Trying to hard?  That cabot horseradish cheese is also pretty amazing on top.

Read this yesterday...consider my mind blown.  

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/you-are-cheesing-your-cheeseburgers-all-wrong-and-i-can-1797580296
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I am a proud lover of cheese as well.

Stinkies are A-OK by me, as long as I can wash the "aroma" off my hands.

One of the best snacks I ever had was goat cheese on pumpernickel toast topped with fresh homemade blueberry jam.

Meunster with jam is good too.
    hedonist said:
    I am a proud lover of cheese as well.

Stinkies are A-OK by me, as long as I can wash the "aroma" off my hands.

One of the best snacks I ever had was goat cheese on pumpernickel toast topped with fresh homemade blueberry jam.

Meunster with jam is good too.
    That sounds so good.  This may be a snack this weekend.  Thanks!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?
    85/15 for sure
    1/3 lb patty with salt, pepper, & cayenne
    Cooked to medium
    A slice of muenster cheese melted over top
    Two slices of slab bacon
    Toasted kaiser roll, mayo & bacon on bottom, ketchup, mustard on crown
    Either a crisp iceberg leaf & bread & butter chips on crown, or a spoonful of hot giardinera

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    gambo, I used to doctor up the meat for burgers, but my guy's a purist so now just salt and pepper (maybe a surreptitious dash of Worcestershire).  The cheesing advice in that link makes sense too.

Have you guys heard about cooking burgers with an ice cube in them to retain moisture?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2017
    "I am an eater of beets."

--Alobar in Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mcgruff10 said:
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?

Curious what people think about what I do with burgers. Salt, pepper, montreal steak, chili powder (a good amount) and a little bit of worcestershire sauce. I think they are amazing.  Trying to hard?  That cabot horseradish cheese is also pretty amazing on top.

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/you-are-cheesing-your-cheeseburgers-all-wrong-and-i-can-1797580296
    Holy shit that makes perfect sense!!!  What an awesome article. Thanks bud. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Poblanos are very versatile!  If you get all the membrane out of a green they have no heat, but if you leave it in and let it go red, I've had some that have put the sweats on me.
    They also produce about twice as many peppers as any bell plant I've ever grown, so they ara huge part of my storage portion.
    I usually freeze about 2-4 gallons of jalapeño rings, 2-4 gallons of whole poblanos, and between 4 and 8 gallons of strip cut poblanos plus an assortment of whatever is left of the banana, hot block, bell, frying, cherry hot, and other peppers.
    I dehydrate 2-4 quart jars of Thai and cayenne peppers for soups, chili, and hot sauce, about a quart or two of the super hots for hot sauces and giving to people who think that they can handle anything.
    You pop a dried Reaper in your mouth and you are one sorry individual, without exception.
    My Dad's roommate puts whole Ghost peppers on his pizza and gave them no respect.  When I saw him again, he was respectful lol
    He's a spiritualist sort  a who meditates and all  that, he said they were so hot they made him trip.  He said his face felt so hot and painful that his consciousness evacuated his body and he looked down on himself in pity lol.  A devout skeptic, I am nonetheless inclined to believe him!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?

Yeah, man.  Peeeeerfect sense.  Gonna give it a whril next time around.
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    Poblanos are very versatile!  If you get all the membrane out of a green they have no heat, but if you leave it in and let it go red, I've had some that have put the sweats on me.
    They also produce about twice as many peppers as any bell plant I've ever grown, so they ara huge part of my storage portion.
    I usually freeze about 2-4 gallons of jalapeño rings, 2-4 gallons of whole poblanos, and between 4 and 8 gallons of strip cut poblanos plus an assortment of whatever is left of the banana, hot block, bell, frying, cherry hot, and other peppers.
    I dehydrate 2-4 quart jars of Thai and cayenne peppers for soups, chili, and hot sauce, about a quart or two of the super hots for hot sauces and giving to people who think that they can handle anything.
    You pop a dried Reaper in your mouth and you are one sorry individual, without exception.
    My Dad's roommate puts whole Ghost peppers on his pizza and gave them no respect.  When I saw him again, he was respectful lol
    He's a spiritualist sort  a who meditates and all  that, he said they were so hot they made him trip.  He said his face felt so hot and painful that his consciousness evacuated his body and he looked down on himself in pity lol.  A devout skeptic, I am nonetheless inclined to believe him!
    So much good stuff here.  A couple years into growing peppers and have used what I have grown so far, but this year I have a ton of jalapenos.  Talk to me about freezing them.  Jalapeno rings?  Pickled?  Sounds like you have a hell of  garden. 

I have gotten as hot as eating a whole habanero.  Hell of an experience and I am not sure that I could do more than that whole.  When you start getting uncontrollable hiccups, you know you are in trouble. Have a couple hot sauces that do that to me.

Who is developing and growing these trinidad scorpion and carolina reapers?  Up until a while ago, Ghost peppers were the hottest.  Some mad pepper scientist?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Oh geez, I'll never get anything done today.

Cheese.
    La'more

Cabot Seriously Sharp.
    The right cheese is the difference between a meal and an experience.
    The right cheese never comes shredded in a bag lol
    rgambs said:
    The right cheese never comes shredded in a bag lol
    A pretty good rule to live by
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Will have to try that with the next round of burgers.
    I don't generally make my own burger mix but yes, you need some fat there.  15-20 sounds right.
    Salt generously.
    Also like to hit with some finishing salt on the cheese.

Cannot think of a cheese I do not like.
    I even love head cheese.  (I know, not really cheese!)
    My go to cheese, when at home I have a slice and a small handful of almonds (or pecans) as mid-morning & mid-afternoon snack.

And, Brie.
    Baguette, cut in half.
    Mustard on bottom .
    Rare roast beef.  (anything beyond rare is pretty much useless to me)
    Salt/pepper
    Brie.  Thick chunks of the shit on top of the beef.
    Boston lettuce.
    Devour.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Ahh, I see another Cabot fan.
    When I was a pup and worked in a General Store in VT that particular cheese was still called 'Hunter's Cheese.'
    We had a deli and for a meal I would spread a sleeve of ritz crackers out....put a slab of Hunter's Cheese on the deli slicer and put a giant slab over the crackers.
    45 second in the microwave, sprinkled with a bit more salt and it was the dinner every 16 year old wanted.  ;)
    The best parts were the cheese melted onto the tray and not the cracker.  Had some salt to it when you peeled it off...damn that shit was good.
    I would be fat as shit if I ate that way now but all 125 pounds of me at that age could eat like that all day.
    rgambs said:
    So much good stuff here.  A couple years into growing peppers and have used what I have grown so far, but this year I have a ton of jalapenos.  Talk to me about freezing them.  Jalapeno rings?  Pickled?  Sounds like you have a hell of  garden. 

I have gotten as hot as eating a whole habanero.  Hell of an experience and I am not sure that I could do more than that whole.  When you start getting uncontrollable hiccups, you know you are in trouble. Have a couple hot sauces that do that to me.

Who is developing and growing these trinidad scorpion and carolina reapers?  Up until a while ago, Ghost peppers were the hottest.  Some mad pepper scientist?
    Yes, and even better, regular old chili heads like us!

Jalapeños I slice them into rings and spread them out on wax papered cookie sheets to flash freeze them and then I just pack them in freezer bags.
    They don't retain their crunch like pickled peños, but it's much easier. 
    Sometimes I pickle some and sometimes I don't, I get lazy/overwhelmed.
    Freezing is easiest and if they are a little mushy in some dishes, oh well, I don't mind.  I undercook my onions slightly when paired with frozen peppers and that provides the crunch factor that's missing.
    edited August 2017
    Will have to try that with the next round of burgers.
    I don't generally make my own burger mix but yes, you need some fat there.  15-20 sounds right.
    Salt generously.
    Also like to hit with some finishing salt on the cheese.

Cannot think of a cheese I do not like.
    I even love head cheese.  (I know, not really cheese!)
    My go to cheese, when at home I have a slice and a small handful of almonds (or pecans) as mid-morning & mid-afternoon snack.

And, Brie.
    Baguette, cut in half.
    Mustard on bottom .
    Rare roast beef.  (anything beyond rare is pretty much useless to me)
    Salt/pepper
    Brie.  Thick chunks of the shit on top of the beef.
    Boston lettuce.
    Devour.

That sandwich sounds amazing.  When I make pate, I make a shit load of it because the butcher I get chicken liver from sells it in 5 pound increments.  Why? I have no clue. Regardless, I always have a ton of pate to eat/freeze.  We make Brie and pate sandwiches on baguettes.  So good.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    oh Grilled Chicken Livers, Japanese style.  FML

Monk fish liver, sashimi.  Holy fuck.  So good.
    'Ankimo'

this could be the greatest thread outside of "what bootleg are you listening to"?

cheese...oh man such good cheese out there.  Buffalo mozzarella....fresh mozzarella....I'm a huge gorgonzola fan.  smoked cheddar is one of my favorites.  
    goat cheese, feta...it doesn't matter, I love them all.
    When I was a pup and worked in a General Store in VT that particular cheese was still called 'Hunter's Cheese.'
    We had a deli and for a meal I would spread a sleeve of ritz crackers out....put a slab of Hunter's Cheese on the deli slicer and put a giant slab over the crackers.
    45 second in the microwave, sprinkled with a bit more salt and it was the dinner every 16 year old wanted.  ;)
    The best parts were the cheese melted onto the tray and not the cracker.  Had some salt to it when you peeled it off...damn that shit was good.
    I would be fat as shit if I ate that way now but all 125 pounds of me at that age could eat like that all day.
    Interesting thing, Cabot Seriously Sharp is harder to find between April and September, because it has become incredibly popular with Appalachian Trail thru hikers!  It's very nutrient dense and only very hard sharp cheeses are backpackable, even a cheese lover is not going to have a great time munching on a block of parmesan, romano, or asiago, but CSS is delish straight.
    It sells like crazy along the trail corridor to the point where stores run out and trucks sometimes get backed up.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?

You know, that makes a good bit of sense.  I'm gonna try this method tonight. Conveniently enough, I laid some ground chuck in the fridge this morning as tonight's dinner plan was a burger.
    rgambs said:
    Interesting thing, Cabot Seriously Sharp is harder to find between April and September, because it has become incredibly popular with Appalachian Trail thru hikers!  It's very nutrient dense and only very hard sharp cheeses are backpackable, even a cheese lover is not going to have a great time munching on a block of parmesan, romano, or asiago, but CSS is delish straight.
    It sells like crazy along the trail corridor to the point where stores run out and trucks sometimes get backed up.
    When I lived in CA I used to order it from Cabot directly and it came in huge blocks.  Would take me a few months to eat one.  Stuff is gold.  Nobody else in the house likes it as much as I do, but the three year old will eat it in small chunks.  He calls it 'Dada's cheese."
    (It hurts a little to type this but there is always a good amount of American "cheese" in the drawer as the other three people in my family all love it.  I will eat it from time to time (tastes OK) but it isn't even cheese.)
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    salt/pepper?
    85/15?

You know, that makes a good bit of sense.  I'm gonna try this method tonight. Conveniently enough, I laid some ground chuck in the fridge this morning as tonight's dinner plan was a burger.
    Do report back
    mcgruff10 said:
    this could be the greatest thread outside of "what bootleg are you listening to"?

cheese...oh man such good cheese out there.  Buffalo mozzarella....fresh mozzarella....I'm a huge gorgonzola fan.  smoked cheddar is one of my favorites.  
    goat cheese, feta...it doesn't matter, I love them all.
    The key to an amazing caprese salad and not just a good one is good mozzarella and letting it sit out and come to room temp.

Speaking of smoked.  Smoked gouda....hmmmm
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yes, and even better, regular old chili heads like us!

Jalapeños I slice them into rings and spread them out on wax papered cookie sheets to flash freeze them and then I just pack them in freezer bags.
    They don't retain their crunch like pickled peños, but it's much easier. 
    Sometimes I pickle some and sometimes I don't, I get lazy/overwhelmed.
    Freezing is easiest and if they are a little mushy in some dishes, oh well, I don't mind.  I undercook my onions slightly when paired with frozen peppers and that provides the crunch factor that's missing.
    Good stuff.  Thanks.
    Warning, adult, R-rated humor.

https://youtu.be/Uh2clk9E5Ic