The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The Trinidad Scorpion is just behind the Reaper and a little ways ahead of the Ghost (Bhut Jolokia) terms of "holy fucking hell"!
    An extract of Trinidad Scorpion?  Yowza.  I'd be a little scared myself!
    I've never had an extract, I wonder if it maintains flavor or if it just isolates the heat?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    The Trinidad Scorpion is just behind the Reaper and a little ways ahead of the Ghost (Bhut Jolokia) terms of "holy fucking hell"!
    I've never had an extract, I wonder if it maintains flavor or if it just isolates the heat?
    I think it just isolates the heat.  Basically just taking the capsaicin out of the pepper.  For adding heat without altering the flavor.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    The Scotch Bonnets, I'm going to try to recreate Bajan hotsauce that we had on our honeymoon in Barbados. 
    It's a very hot mustard sauce and I hope I'm able to get close because it was tailor made for pairing with and chicken.
    That sounds freakin delicious.  Scotch Bonnets are my favorite hot chili.  They punch you in the face, but have such great flavor.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm going to make a roasted cheery tomato and watercress salad I saw on a Gordon Ramsay cooking video. It should be easy and yummy.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm going to make a roasted cheery tomato and watercress salad I saw on a Gordon Ramsay cooking video. It should be easy and yummy.
    Cheery tomatoes > gloomy tomatoes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    rgambs said:
    I think it just isolates the heat.  Basically just taking the capsaicin out of the pepper.  For adding heat without altering the flavor.
    I dont know when I will mess with it.  Perhaps will make some chili or something that can stand up to some of it and try.
    Only a few of us here would even try it so I have to make small batches to test and then I could freeze larger batches if it works.
    Before the ghost experience I always though a stomach ache was the worst I could do -- and it was worth it for the rush and fun of doing this with a bunch of friends.  Learned that my body will revolt if I put too much of that in.  :lol:
    One of my buddies was a chili guy and it was hot for him but no other side effects. He laughed at me and mocked me in Spanish. Told me my gringo ass needed to stick to jalapenos or habeneros.   

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Ms. Haiku said:
    That sounds awesome.  I haven't made many salads with watercress, but love anything of the sort. This sounds good.

This recipe isn't nearly as fresh, but I make it once or twice a year.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016395-sugar-snap-pea-salad

Arugula is our go to green. Salt, olive oil and a little bit of fresh lemon juice is all it needs. Though throwing some fresh beets in never hurt anyone.
    What would you want to add heat to but not want pepper flavor in?
    I can't think of anything, but there must be an application.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Left over ribs for breakfast. On the smoker for six hours. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Any other pork skin lovers here?
    Was reading about rolled pork skin Sunday Sauce.  Sauce on pasta for course #1 and cut up the skin for course #2.
    Frying it is easy (and delicious) -- braising?  I am going to do this.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I prefer hot but not hurts my insides hot.

Fuckin' A!

DK =)

mcgruff and I seem to be on the same page when it comes to scarfing leftovers at odd hours.
    Any other pork skin lovers here?
    Was reading about rolled pork skin Sunday Sauce.  Sauce on pasta for course #1 and cut up the skin for course #2.
    Frying it is easy (and delicious) -- braising?  I am going to do this.
    I have never heard of this rolled pork skin but just looked it up and am 100% down.  This may be a this weekend kinda project for me.

Italian market fest, porchetta everywhere, but you just gotta ask and they'll give you all the skin and crackling you want for free.
    rgambs said:
    Only thing I can think of is challenge food.  I once ate wings covered in pepper spray concentrate.  Only wing challenge I ever had to forfeit. Fuck those things!
    Mmmmm, crackling.

My sister and I used to fight over who got the crispy butt when my mom made her amazing roast chicken.

I pray we have some bone marrow lovers here.
    hedonist said:
    Mmmmm, crackling.

My sister and I used to fight over who got the crispy butt when my mom made her amazing roast chicken.

I pray we have some bone marrow lovers here.
    You and your sister sound like good people.

Love me some marrow.  Every time it's on a menu, I order it.
    We call the crispy butt "the pope's nose" in my family.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:
    Only thing I can think of is challenge food.  I once ate wings covered in pepper spray concentrate.  Only wing challenge I ever had to forfeit. Fuck those things!
    I think my reflux just fired up after reading that!
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I think my reflux just fired up after reading that!
    And I've gotta go poop now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:
    I would try a bite, but that is it.  I tremendously enjoy watching people suffer through heat pain. I know the feeling and I find it hilarious.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Left over ribs for breakfast. On the smoker for six hours. 
    Nothing like ribs (or anything) from the smoker!  
    I have an electric one and use it for ribs every time I find them BOGO at the store.  I have a section of felled cherry tree in the yard that I left in place and when I fire up the smoker I chop down into the well-cured interior and shave some fresh cherry chips.
    Smoker is a great alternate to stewing old layer hens, after about 7 hours in the smoker they are tender enough to eat on sandwiches with a nice firm bread.  Chicken soup just doesn't do it for me like an open faced smoked chicken sandwich of a hollowed out crusty roll.
    I pretty much sat at the table with my beer glass half in my mouth until they brought me the two milkshakes I ordered.  It was awful.  And about 2 hours later when we went to another bar, I went to take a piss and realized about halfway thru that I still had some residual sauce on my hands.  Felt like I stuck my johnson in a vat of boiling IcyHot.
    :lol:  Beer does very little to soothe the heat pain. 
    Did you stick your johnson into a milkshake?

Italian Market Fest sounds awesome, minus the crowd of hammers walking around. 

Chicharrón is nearly the perfect food.  I dont think you could actually live on it, or it would be perfect.

Bone marrow is also wonderful.  Could use a straw.

I pretty much sat at the table with my beer glass half in my mouth until they brought me the two milkshakes I ordered.  It was awful.  And about 2 hours later when we went to another bar, I went to take a piss and realized about halfway thru that I still had some residual sauce on my hands.  Felt like I stuck my johnson in a vat of boiling IcyHot.
    Duuuuuuuude. I was cooking with habaneros one time and as I was chopping them seeds all on my fingers, like an amateur and dumbass, I wiped my eye.  I stood in the shower for a good 30 minutes forcing my eye open with cold water.  Insane amount of pain.
    edited August 2017

Chicharrón is nearly the perfect food.  I dont think you could actually live on it, or it would be perfect.

Italian market fest is amazing.  The people are the best part.  Rittenhouse fest you get nerds who think they're rich and cool, or are rich and just not cool.  South street fest is good and fun but is insanity like everything else south street.  Italian market is south philly and much like the italian market these days, all types of people from all races and social classes.  I love it.  So much diversity and amazing food.  Where else can you get a porchetta sandwich and a peroni, followed up by amazing tacos a pacifico, followed up by oysters and champagne?

Oh and you can also watch said hammers try to climb up a 60 foot greased up metal pole.

I would do dirty dirty things to that marrow.
    My god I m cringing and laughing at the same time. 
    Pearl Jam fan-foodies are the best.

Italian market fest is amazing.  The people are the best part.  Rittenhouse fest you get nerds who think they're rich and cool, or are rich and just not cool.  South street fest is good and fun but is insanity like everything else south street.  Italian market is south philly and much like the italian market these days, all types of people from all races and social classes.  I love it.  So much diversity and amazing food.  Where else can you get a porchetta sandwich and a peroni, followed up by amazing tacos a pacifico, followed up by oysters and champagne?

Oh and you can also watch said hammers try to climb up a 60 foot greased up metal pole.

On my Things to Do Next Year short list.
    Amazing (authentic) tacos are tough to come by here, in my experience.  A shitpit of a place in Berlin is the closest thing to street food superstars I have found.  I went a few weeks ago and they moved to the place next door and it is actually much nicer now.  This somehow impacts my opinion of the food negatively.  :lol:
    I am sure there are places around still to be discovered but that is one of the things I miss the most about life in SoCal....amazing Mexican food...available everywhere.  

On my Things to Do Next Year short list.
    Amazing (authentic) tacos are tough to come by here, in my experience.  A shitpit of a place in Berlin is the closest thing to street food superstars I have found.  I went a few weeks ago and they moved to the place next door and it is actually much nicer now.  This somehow impacts my opinion of the food negatively.  :lol:
    I am sure there are places around still to be discovered but that is one of the things I miss the most about life in SoCal....amazing Mexican food...available everywhere.  
    When it comes to tacos, the dingier the better.  A ton of good places in South Philly which such a big Mexican population.  9th street south of Washington has a ton of spots.  Hell even the taco trailer at the corner of 4th and Washington is awesome.  South Philly Barbacoa (not sure what the new name in the Italian market is) is all kinds of awesome.
    hedonist said:
    Pearl Jam fan-foodies are the best.
    Was hoping this thread had potential.  Looks like it does.  Keep it coming.
    Tonight, fajitas.
    Thin cut skirt steak marinated in garlic, lime, a touch of balsamic vinaigrette, and black pepper slapped on the grill for about 40 seconds, wrapped in flour tortillas with sautéed poblanos, cubanelles, onions, and zucchini.  Have some imported Spanish Manchego cheese and Quesa Fresca to top it, a salsa fresco on the side with Black Krim tomatoes, red onions, poblano, and fresh cilantro.
    All vegetables from the garden of course, if I can't or don't grow it, I do without between the months of May and October.