The Food Thread

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wow...way to keep your intestinal fortitude on track!
    My tummy couldn't handle the peppers, but the rest of it?  Cliffy best not ever post his full name or address, otherwise he can expect a few hungry people on his doorstep.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Myself included.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    lol 

I go hot food. The hotter and more painful the better 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited August 2017
    Ohhhhh shit. Did it right tonight.

Started out with some Brie and honey. Dinner was meatballs with a herbed pasta along with caprese salad and fried long hots. A bottle of nice Pinot noir too, of course.
    You're killing me! That sounds sooo good! But what are fried long hots?
    Think it's a Philly thing. These guys. So good. Have some good heat too

Pepperoncini or banana peppers?
    (Either way, I'd devour them!)
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Just baked some salmon in the oven with some salt, pepper, teriyaki glaze, scallions, and cilantro. Sweet potatoes to accompany.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Just baked some salmon in the oven with some salt, pepper, teriyaki glaze, scallions, and cilantro. Sweet potatoes to accompany.
    Yum. Salmon is on a regular rotation in our household. Solid combo you going going there
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Italian BBQ: slow cooked ribs, chicken parm, sausage/peppers, chicken cutlets, burgers, dogs, sausage rings, pasta, salad, sides, appetizers and many home made desserts.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited August 2017
    I didn't check the zucchini patch last week because I thought the first planting had petered out.
    I found 3 arm size zukes.  Whoops.
    Thick skin, big tough seeds, pithy center.  
    No problem, hollowed them out and stuffed them with DiRusso's Italian sausage (is that a thing everywhere or is that local? It's the best commercially available by a mile.) sautéed with onions, garlic, sweet and hot banana peppers, from the garden, of course.
    Topped it with fresh sliced Sungold super sweet cherry tomatoes, fresh grated Asiago and mozzarella cheese.  Obligatory drizzle of olive oil, of course.
    Yum.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I didn't check the zucchini patch last week because I thought the first planting had petered out.
    No problem, hollowed them out and stuffed them with DiRusso's Italian sausage (is that a thing everywhere or is that local? It's the best commercially available by a mile.) sautéed with onions, garlic, sweet and hot banana peppers, from the garden, of course.
    Topped it with fresh sliced Sungold super sweet cherry tomatoes, fresh grated Asiago and mozzarella cheese.  Obligatory drizzle of olive oil, of course.
    Yum.
    That sounds amazing. Not familiar with DiRussos but not much better than good Italian sausage 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Italian BBQ: slow cooked ribs, chicken parm, sausage/peppers, chicken cutlets, burgers, dogs, sausage rings, pasta, salad, sides, appetizers and many home made desserts.  
    How many people?! God damn.

fuck is a sausage ring?
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    About to start cooking a god old breakfast, eggs over easy, good old Canadian back bacon and some toast
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Yes please, what the fuck is a sausage ring.
    I need to know so I can make it.
    BLACK35 said:
    About to start cooking a god old breakfast, eggs over easy, good old Canadian back bacon and some toast
    Shit yeah!
    I just did a three egg omelette with hot chili and onion from the garden.
    I'd like to brag and say the eggs were laid this morning and still warm, but the reality is that I found a hidden nest in the weeds with 11 eggs in it this weekend and I'm still working through those.
    Still fresher than store eggs, nice firm deep orange yolks and whites that stand up tall.  Eggs are awesome, I'm glad they no longer think the cholesterol is so problematic, since I eat a dozen a week.  Or more.
    rgambs said:
    Yum.
    That sounds amazing. Not familiar with DiRussos but not much better than good Italian sausage 
    It is hard to find good Italian sausage commercially.  Brands like Johnsonville use so much fennel it is literally inedible to me.  Most groceries and delis follow suit around here and jack the fennel seed through the roof.

I just looked it up, it's an Ohio company that gained huge popularity at fairs and carnivals and then started selling in stores in Ohio, PA, WV, and NY.
    rgambs said:
    BLACK35 said:
    Shit yeah!
    I just did a three egg omelette with hot chili and onion from the garden.
    I'd like to brag and say the eggs were laid this morning and still warm, but the reality is that I found a hidden nest in the weeds with 11 eggs in it this weekend and I'm still working through those.
    Still fresher than store eggs, nice firm deep orange yolks and whites that stand up tall.  Eggs are awesome, I'm glad they no longer think the cholesterol is so problematic, since I eat a dozen a week.  Or more.
    This all sounds so awesome. Would hit the spot on this rainy Philadelphia Monday morning...

Started out with some Brie and honey. Dinner was meatballs with a herbed pasta along with caprese salad and fried long hots. A bottle of nice Pinot noir too, of course.

https://www.cayennediane.com/peppers/italian-long-hots/

They are good. Very good.
    I judge people who don't like spicy food.
    Mildly. 
    I'll still be your friend, and I'll still cook for you, but I will always have that little tsk tsk internally, like when you find out someone listens to top 40 radio.

Food is such a joy in life, I can't imagine being a person who eats to live, I live to eat and wouldn't want it any other way.
    Sausage ring looks like this. Comes in all sorts of flavors. Yesterday was parsley/mozzarella. 

mcgruff10 said:

fuck is a sausage ring?
    Maybe twenty five. This is a very typical Italian BBQ. 

mcgruff10 said:
    Sausage ring looks like this. Comes in all sorts of flavors. Yesterday was parsley/mozzarella. 

Ohhhh, haha.  Just sausage.
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

fuck is a sausage ring?
    Maybe twenty five. This is a very typical Italian BBQ. 

The bride is a 'Carbone' from Philadelphia.  Married into and have accepted Italian, for the most part.  Still make fun of them though.
    rgambs said:
    Mildly. 
    I'll still be your friend, and I'll still cook for you, but I will always have that little tsk tsk internally, like when you find out someone listens to top 40 radio.

Food is such a joy in life, I can't imagine being a person who eats to live, I live to eat and wouldn't want it any other way.
    Yep.  You gotta eat, so eat well.

I fucking love spicy food.  The hotter the better.  The wife is in the same boat.  She can handle more heat than I can.  Well we both handle anything, but she handles it better than I do.  After a certain point, I just look like a hot mess.  F'ing love it.
    mcgruff10 said:

Ohhhh, haha.  Just sausage.
    They call them sausage rings. Yeah I guess just sausage lol.  I m far from an expert in that food category. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Long Hots -- my in-laws gave me a grocery store bag full of them 4-5 years ago as my introduction to them.  It was great fun to grab and eat them as a snack over the next week or so.  Sometimes I tasted like a nice green bell pepper.  Sometimes it tasted like a nice jalapeno type pepper.  Sometimes it made me drink a glass of milk and think of much hotter peppers.  Love the surprise associated with them.

Sausage ring is what I thought it would be...some tasty shit.
    I do agree with Gambs about the overdone herbs in many sausages.  There are some good placed to get them from in Philly (Frank & Sal's, Halteman Meats are two that Amazon Fresh partners with) and I agree that with your assessment overall.

I went healthy this AM and had a cup of steelcut oats and a jersey tomato.  Usually I put some berries and almonds in the oatmeal but my Mother In Law delivered 9 more tomatoes last night. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Long Hots -- my in-laws gave me a grocery store bag full of them 4-5 years ago as my introduction to them.  It was great fun to grab and eat them as a snack over the next week or so.  Sometimes I tasted like a nice green bell pepper.  Sometimes it tasted like a nice jalapeno type pepper.  Sometimes it made me drink a glass of milk and think of much hotter peppers.  Love the surprise associated with them.

Sausage ring is what I thought it would be...some tasty shit.
    I do agree with Gambs about the overdone herbs in many sausages.  There are some good placed to get them from in Philly (Frank & Sal's, Halteman Meats are two that Amazon Fresh partners with) and I agree that with your assessment overall.

I went healthy this AM and had a cup of steelcut oats and a jersey tomato.  Usually I put some berries and almonds in the oatmeal but my Mother In Law delivered 9 more tomatoes last night. 

Yep, they are so hit and miss in terms of heat, it's awesome.

Italian market has a lot of great spots for sausage.  Cappuccio's and Fiorella's are the best. Can't go wrong at Espisito's either.
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    Mildly. 

I fucking love spicy food.  The hotter the better.  The wife is in the same boat.  She can handle more heat than I can.  Well we both handle anything, but she handles it better than I do.  After a certain point, I just look like a hot mess.  F'ing love it.
    My wife is a piquancy nut as well.  I'm having trouble thinking of a single meal we make that doesn't have hot peppers in it.  All year round from the garden most years, but this year is a down year, my jalapenos were all bad genetics and that's 4 gallon bags of frozen peppers that I won't have this year.  We will probably run out in January and I'll be a sad cookie.

I have Scotch Bonnets and Carolina Reapers growing for the extreme heat.
    The Reapers are insane, record holding, weapons grade and they produce pretty well.
    Their flavor is entirely unique, ridiculously floral and citrusy.  I use one, just flesh, to make 2-3 bottles of very hot Louisiana style hot sauce.  I add red sweet peppers to give it body and also balance and enhance the heat with sweetness.

Post edited by rgambs on
    The Scotch Bonnets, I'm going to try to recreate Bajan hotsauce that we had on our honeymoon in Barbados. 
    It's a very hot mustard sauce and I hope I'm able to get close because it was tailor made for pairing with and chicken.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Mildly. 

The Reapers are insane, record holding, weapons grade and they produce pretty well.
    Their flavor is entirely unique, ridiculously floral and citrusy.  I use one, just flesh, to make 2-3 bottles of very hot Louisiana style hot sauce.  I add red sweet peppers to give it body and also balance and enhance the heat with sweetness.

Awesome.  Yeah, I have jalapenos (a crap load), ghost peppers and red bell's growing.  Use the jalapenos in a bunch of different dishes, grill them on their own and pickle them if they need to be used.

We make hot sauce out of the ghost as well as drying them up, grinding them and using them as pepper flakes on pizza and the like.

Scotch bonnets work pretty well for jerk sauce as well.

I want to get my hands on some Carolina reapers.  

This is my guilty pleasure.  The Hot Ones interviews.  It's like a short podcast except the person is typically in obscene amounts of pain.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FirstWeFeast
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Mildly. 

That sounds good.  (And brutal.)
    My sister sent me assorted hot sauce stuff for my birthday this year.
    Trinidad Scorpion Pepper extract - which is strictly labeled as only for cooking, not for direct ingestion.  Haven't gone there yet.
    Some Ghost sauce as well -- also kept that on lock down.  Last time I fucked with the ghost pepper sauce I shit flames for a day and the skin on my butt actually burned from passing the mess out. 
    I prefer hot but not hurts my insides hot.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

https://www.cayennediane.com/peppers/italian-long-hots/

They are good. Very good.
    Gonna have to look for these online.  I guarantee no market where I live has them. 
    And Cayenne Diane sounds like my kinda lady!