Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    The Bible has some nice passages of wisdom to be sure, but the problem for me that arise are twofold, first that (for me) nagging business  "the Father" (where's the Mother?) and second, the denial of natures place of importance in the world.  Here's a classic example of what I mean.  There is some fine wisdom here that is sabotaged by the idea that some unseen "Father" meets our basic needs and an egregious misunderstanding of how nature works.:

MATTHEW 6:25-24 (ASV)

25 Therefore I say unto you, Be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment? 26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto the measure of his life? 28 And why are ye anxious concerning raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God doth so clothe the grass of the field, which to-day is, and to-morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Be not therefore anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 For after all these things do the Gentiles seek; for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Are we of more value than birds (read as all none human life)?  No, of course not.  Were it not for other life, we would not be alive.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Annafalk said:
    "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you" 
    "Love your next as yourself"
    There are also many beautiful things written in the Bible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi

Not from the bible...plagiarized from the Code
    Makes me wonder if the Bible just happened to be in the "right place at the right time" and was escalated as "the one book".
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    The Bible is actually a collection of books.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I was using the term loosely.  So many other books, collections of books, they don't get the notoriety of the Bible.  Just saying.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    amethgr8 said:
    I was using the term loosely.  So many other books, collections of books, they don't get the notoriety of the Bible.  Just saying.
    Yes, and of course it's commonly called The Book or The Good Book, so your wording was valid. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    brianlux said:
    The Bible has some nice passages of wisdom to be sure, but the problem for me that arise are twofold, first that (for me) nagging business  "the Father" (where's the Mother?) and second, the denial of natures place of importance in the world.  Here's a classic example of what I mean.  There is some fine wisdom here that is sabotaged by the idea that some unseen "Father" meets our basic needs and an egregious misunderstanding of how nature works.:

25 Therefore I say unto you, Be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment? 26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto the measure of his life? 28 And why are ye anxious concerning raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God doth so clothe the grass of the field, which to-day is, and to-morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Be not therefore anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 For after all these things do the Gentiles seek; for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Are we of more value than birds (read as all none human life)?  No, of course not.  Were it not for other life, we would not be alive.

That's not what that passage means. It's not putting nature as second fiddle really. That passage is about worrying. Do not worry about what you will eat or what you will wear. Don't go after material things. It says that the birds of the air do not toil or work hard, but God provides for them. The Lilies are dressed in the field, and are beautiful, but Solomon, with all his wisdom and riches, was never clothed as beautiful as the those flowers. The flowers and the animals simple do their job and don't worry about other things. If you seek first the kingdom of God, all of those things will be taken care of like he has taken care of the animals and the rest of nature. That whole chapter is basically about living a simple life and not worrying about how much money you have, or self proclaiming how good you are and how many people you help.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited August 2017
    brianlux said:
    If everything can be defined and there is nothing that cannot be defined, why do we have the word, "ineffable"?
    Ineffable is my favorite word. :) ... I think because I find it to be the most ironic word in the English language. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ponytd said:
    brianlux said:

That's not what that passage means. It's not putting nature as second fiddle really. That passage is about worrying. Do not worry about what you will eat or what you will wear. Don't go after material things. It says that the birds of the air do not toil or work hard, but God provides for them. The Lilies are dressed in the field, and are beautiful, but Solomon, with all his wisdom and riches, was never clothed as beautiful as the those flowers. The flowers and the animals simple do their job and don't worry about other things. If you seek first the kingdom of God, all of those things will be taken care of like he has taken care of the animals and the rest of nature. That whole chapter is basically about living a simple life and not worrying about how much money you have, or self proclaiming how good you are and how many people you help.

"Are not ye of much more value than they?"

I say, no.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited August 2017
    Annafalk said:

Well I don't know what the Code is.
    The Golden Rule originated in Matthew 7:12. Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
    Love they neighbor, is mentioned several times.
    Matthew 22
    22:37 Jesus said unto him, thou shalt love the Lord the God with all the heart and soul, and with all the mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
    Also again Mark Chapter 12. Read it for yourself.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12:28-31&version=KJV
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    RYME said:
    Annafalk said:

The Golden Rule originated in Matthew 7:12. Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
    Matthew 22
    22:37 Jesus said unto him, thou shalt love the Lord the God with all the heart and soul, and with all the mind.

The golden rule is articulated in Matthew, yes, but certainly didn't originate in Matthew. In fact, virtually all religions include a version of what we call the golden rule. It was codified in many ancient societies much predating the bible. The bible does not have dibs on compassion. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    RYME said:
    Annafalk said:

Matthew 22

The golden rule is articulated in Matthew, yes, but certainly didn't originate in Matthew. In fact, virtually all religions include a version of what we call the golden rule. It was codified in many ancient societies much predating the bible. The bible does not have dibs on compassion. 
    I know that the way I stated it makes me look idiotic my bad.
    I read the word code and it didn't compute in my head till I thought more about the code of Hammurabi. I see what he was saying now. And the argument that Moses stole his writings from that has been an argument for a long long time. I hadn't read about it in a long long time so I found an article that might be interesting.  Then like I said I am no expert.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Moses-Hammurabi-code.html
  • Options
    I guess to put in context what god is as a non-believer through a believers eyes would be like trying to explain that President Trump is real and that many people believe in him.  Yet so many don't and can't get that fact through some heads.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I guess to put in context what god is as a non-believer through a believers eyes would be like trying to explain that President Trump is real and that many people believe in him.  Yet so many don't and can't get that fact through some heads.
    Aw come on now, you were a real person in this thread for a while, now you're back under the bridge.
    What a shame.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    ^^^
    This thread is a trap.  There is no way to explain what god is unless you are a believer.  

• Options
    "God as a non-believer".  Now there is a conundrum!

• Options
    This now reminds me of a dog chasing it's tail.  Oh well.  I enjoy reading the different view points, that articulate somethings even if I don't agree.  And I like learning about things that I don't know much about like "The Code"
    Keep up the good work. B)
  • Options
    Geezuz man.

Really? Why? Why be like this?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    RYME said:
    This now reminds me of a dog chasing it's tail.  Oh well.  I enjoy reading the different view points, that articulate somethings even if I don't agree.  And I like learning about things that I don't know much about like "The Code"
    Keep up the good work. B)
    That's when the Train is at it's best! :smile:

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,602
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The Book of Eli

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Geezuz man.

Really? Why? Why be like this?
    I was hoping to not see Donald Trump's name in this thread but there was.  Oh well.  I'm going to try to compose an interesting post in a little while.  Stay classy.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options

• Options
    edited August 2017
    brianlux said:
    I don't know if I'm classy or not, but I am definitely Always Thirsty! =). I think it's ok to pause from the heavy lifting of this topic if it needs time to regroup. Voices like these certainly don't do anything but boost my own faith.  It's the weekend.

https://youtu.be/kSeZO6UWa6g B) 

And cheers Shyner!
    That's Alright. I think this is a good time for this tune by Stevie Nicks!

https://youtu.be/Ljuhu6mtYOE
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Everyone is a piece peace of God

I love you all

• Options
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    I don't know if I'm classy or not, but I am definitely Always Thirsty! =). I think it's ok to pause from the heavy lifting of this topic if it needs time to regroup.

https://youtu.be/kSeZO6UWa6g B) 

And cheers Shyner!
    That's Alright. I think this is a good time for this tune by Stevie Nicks!

https://youtu.be/Ljuhu6mtYOE
    "In Hiding", my theme song haha! Such a great song!

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Shyner said:
    Everyone is a piece peace of God

I love you all

Better a piece peace than a peace piece, I suppose!  Or is it the other way around?  Oh, shoot, I dunno.  It's Friday night!
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited August 2017
    I'm not really sure which It'd rather be actually

Piece , peace of God is what i thought initially

I'm confused
  • Options
    Shyner said:
    I'm not really sure which It'd rather be actually

Piece , peace of God is what i thought initially

I'm confused
    As are we!  :wink:

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Our local churches seem to be competing for a "worst sign quote" award.
    The latest isn't stupid, but it's a nasty message.
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."
    Sure, that's a great message... "What's that little Timmy?  You want to be a fireman?  Hah!  God's laughing at you because he's going to wreck your plans!"

Some recent hall of famers:
    "Love doesn't rub it in, it rubs it out"
    "Cross-eyed people have the best vision."
    "The best gift for Mother's Day is time spent on your knees."
    That last one came down quick.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    rgambs said:
    Our local churches seem to be competing for a "worst sign quote" award.
    The latest isn't stupid, but it's a nasty message.
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."
    Sure, that's a great message... "What's that little Timmy?  You want to be a fireman?  Hah!  God's laughing at you because he's going to wreck your plans!"

Some recent hall of famers:
    "Love doesn't rub it in, it rubs it out"
    "Cross-eyed people have the best vision."
    "The best gift for Mother's Day is time spent on your knees."
    That last one came down quick.
    I thought god didn't like me rubbing one out?