Kaepernick

Comments

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited August 2017
    update on Kap and the Raven trial balloon. Richard Sherman having played against kap thinks he is a decent QB, decent enough to start in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/richard-sherman-gets-to-the-heart-of-the-colin-kaepernick-situation/amp/

“What is it about?” Sherman said. “It’s not about football or color. It’s about, ‘Boy, stay in your place.’”

Bingo.

“Not a lot of guys are willing to step out there,” Sherman added. “So the guys not speaking up for him are doing him a disservice. There should be a lot more guys saying something. Most guys are like, ‘I don’t want my job to end up the same way.'”

Sherman told Bell that Kaepernick would have been a great fit in Seattle, but the Seahawks decided not to sign him. At least the Seahawks didn’t engage in an awkward, clumsy, slow-motion crowdsourcing exercise aimed at determining whether fans and sponsors would revolt before deciding whether to offer him a job.

“For you to say you have to check with sponsors and fans because this guy took a knee and made a statement?” Sherman said regarding the Ravens’ apparently ongoing deliberations. “Now if you told me this guy threw eight pick-sixes last year and played like a bum, had no talent, that’s one thing. But Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett or whoever is playing for the Jets right now — whoever is starting for the Jets is terrible — have jobs. You’re telling me fans would rather you lose and put a worse player out there because a guy took a stand? That’s where it’s so troublesome to me. . . .

“Blake Bortles has shown you enough to where you don’t think Kaep would be a solid fit? Kaep has won games.”

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I don't agree with much Richard Sherman ever says, but he hit the nail on the head with a 10-ton hydraulic press.
    I don't agree with much Richard Sherman ever says, but he hit the nail on the head with a 10-ton hydraulic press.
    greatest post game interview ever! assuming your dont feel the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PH35C7Fhq0

• JC29856 said:
    greatest post game interview ever! assuming your dont feel the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PH35C7Fhq0

Not in my books.

I loved that Seahawk win. I cringed during that clip.

There is something to be said about dignity and class- neither on display here.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    He must've taken a few too many Adderall that game.
    maybe...that was literally 20 seconds after a great play against a trash talking opponent (that nobody heard of against one of the greatest corners ever) that preserved a conference victory.
    I think that interview would have been much different if done minutes later or in the locker room.
  • JC29856 said:
    maybe...that was literally 20 seconds after a great play against a trash talking opponent (that nobody heard of against one of the greatest corners ever) that preserved a conference victory.
    I think that interview would have been much different if done minutes later or in the locker room.
    Nobody has ever heard of Crabtree?

Try again. Highly touted out of college (two time Biletnikoff winner given to the nation's best wide out). High first round draft pick. And solid pro.
    Not taking your bait, JC.  You sound as ridiculous here as you do in the Trump threads.
    JC29856 said:

Try again. Highly touted out of college (two time Biletnikoff winner given to the nation's best wide out). High first round draft pick. And solid pro.
    you're right I probably should have used the phrase "everyone has forgotten about", my bad. anyway the point is the competitiveness and emotions immediately after a play.

• JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:

you're right I probably should have used the phrase "everyone has forgotten about", my bad. anyway the point is the competitiveness and emotions immediately after a play.

So you're excusing poor behaviour?

Sure hope you have limits to which bad behaviours have good excuses for and which ones do not!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited August 2017
    except Richard will someday himself learn when the skills erode and they can find someone equally as good an employer will always choose the good soldier over the one who wants to stir the pot. it's not complicated.  yea you can speak your mind, but it doesn't mean there might not be consequences from employers.

Edit: and i haven't looked for it but i'm still waiting to see where Kaep supposedly donated his million dollars to as he pledged to do last year.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:
    except Richard will someday himself learn when the skills erode and they can find someone equally as good an employer will always choose the good soldier over the one who wants to stir the pot. it's not complicated.  yea you can speak your mind, but it doesn't mean there might not be consequences from employers.

Edit: and i haven't looked for it but i'm still waiting to see where Kaep supposedly donated his million dollars to as he pledged to do last year.
    Why the fuck did Michael Vick and Ray Lewis have celebrated NFL career's then?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    There's several articles out there referencing his ongoing donations. 
  • pjhawks said:

I would say Vick didn't.

Ray Lewis was found innocent. I thought that was enough for these places.
    But I agree with the message of your post.  I'd hate to see what my current or a potential employer would think if they found my posts on here or elsewhere online.
    pjhawks said:

I would say Vick didn't.

He plead guilty to obstruction of justice.  Should have gone to jail and never stepped foot in an NFL uniform ever again.  At the very least, the latter of the two.
    edited August 2017
    Colin Kaepernick did nothing illegal.  He harmed no one or nothing.  He made a peaceful protest against police brutality on black people.  Which, by the way, is a right protected by those who fought for this country.  The whole "disrespect the veterans/flag/country" line is utterly ridiculous.  He was exercising the very right those people fought for. 

This country is fucking insane with patriotism disguised for racism.

I've never thought he was a great QB.  But for fuck's sake.  If Jay god damn Cutler can get a freaking job - the fuck's he EVER done to prove he's worth a starting job?  Whoever's starting for the Browns or Jets... give me a damn break.
  • pjhawks said:

I would say Vick didn't.

He plead guilty to obstruction of justice.  Should have gone to jail and never stepped foot in an NFL uniform ever again.  At the very least, the latter of the two.
    There was a self defence case at play. He was reluctant to testify against his friends- which he ultimately did.

I am not necessarily saying I think he was innocent, but it would have been tough to condemn him from the league given what he was charged with.

I am not a Ray Lewis fan.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Colin Kaepernick did nothing illegal.  He harmed no one or nothing.  He made a peaceful protest against police brutality on black people.  Which, by the way, is a right protected by those who fought for this country.  The whole "disrespect the veterans/flag/country" line is utterly ridiculous.  He was exercising the very right those people fought for. 

I've never thought he was a great QB.  But for fuck's sake.  If Jay god damn Cutler can get a freaking job - the fuck's he EVER done to prove he's worth a starting job?  Whoever's starting for the Browns or Jets... give me a damn break.

The not so thinly veiled racism should be apparent to most everyone. The theme of "stay in your place" has reared up in other ways e.g. "All lives matter", "blue lives matter" and a vote for lil trump, our "law and order" president. 
    So plea guilty to a felony and it's not enough to condemn someone from the league, but do absolutely nothing illegal or zero harm to anyone or anything and get blackballed.

This is why the NFL is a fucking joke. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    So plea guilty to a felony and it's not enough to condemn someone from the league, but do absolutely nothing illegal or zero harm to anyone or anything and get blackballed.

This is why the NFL is a fucking joke. 
    Agreed. It seems the NFL (and most of America sadly) really only does care about what happens on the field. Go home and beat your wife/gf, get high as fuck, drive drunk, carry guns and use them inappropriately, but do not kneel during the anthem because that shit is not in line with our moral values. There is no need to wonder why we have the worst president in the history of our country right now with thinking like this.

This coming from a non Kap fan, but it was his right to do so. No law was broken unlike 50% of the leisure activities and habits of his co-workers.  
    It's a hopeless situation...
    pjhawks said:

because they were better players. Lewis is a Hall of Famer and Vick was an MVP type talent.  If Kaepernick was better he'd be employed. 

Cutler was signed by a team whose coach was his former offensive coordinator. they have history there. that is why he was signed by the Dolphins.

see my post above.  if you have two people at the same skill level as an employer you are going to take the one with less baggage.  Right or wrong Kaepernick now has some baggage for a guy who wasn't good recently. 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

because they were better players. Lewis is a Hall of Famer and Vick was an MVP type talent.  If Kaepernick was better he'd be employed. 
    That's not the issue and you know it.  If it was, why make the argument you made previously?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Seriously? Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Trent fucking Dilfer. So Colin Kaepernick can't even be a back-up, QB on any team in the league right now? That's BS. Here's a list from ESPN of QB's. Kap is worse than all of them?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Again... Vick was not Joe Montana. He flashed briefly. The dog incident never escaped him. After that... he was damaged goods.

You guys are talking as if Kap is a generational talent. He's okay- a decent back up on a good team and a terrible starter for a bad one.

He was very disliked prior to the kneeling down stance he took. If teams could use his help... they'd employ him just as you stated in your post (winning trumps everything).

He is a marginal player that has a poor reputation as a teammate. Who wants any part of that when the market is flush with similar players possessing better locker room qualities.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

That's not the issue and you know it.  If it was, why make the argument you made previously?
    what argument are you referring to? 
    pjhawks said:

Cutler was signed by a team whose coach was his former offensive coordinator. they have history there. that is why he was signed by the Dolphins.

see my post above.  if you have two people at the same skill level as an employer you are going to take the one with less baggage.  Right or wrong Kaepernick now has some baggage for a guy who wasn't good recently. 
    Less fucking baggage?  Dude, are you actually reading what you type before you post it??

KILLING FUCKING DOGS AND OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE  - TWO FELONIES - is LESS FUCKING BAGGAGE THAN A PEACEFUL FUCKING PROTEST???

You and I are done here.
    edited August 2017
    pjhawks said:

Less fucking baggage?  Dude, are you actually reading what you type before you post it??

KILLING FUCKING DOGS AND OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE  - TWO FELONIES - is LESS FUCKING BAGGAGE THAN A PEACEFUL FUCKING PROTEST???

You and I are done here.
    woah woah woah I never made judgment on their baggage.   i agree with you 1000% that Lewis and Vick's baggage was 1000x worse.  No team chose Lewis or Vick over Kaepernick.  The teams currently looking for backups aren't weighing Kaepernick vs. Vick or Lewis. they are weighing him against the other current players out there.  no idea why that wasn't easily understood but maybe that was asking too much. i'll say it again. if Kaepernick was a better player he'd be employed like Richard Sherman still is.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Kaep does not have less baggage.  Nor is he nearly as bad of a guy as people like Vick, Greg Hardy, and the other violent sociopaths that get jobs in the NFL.

And anyone suggesting that Kaep's unemployment is primarily about his on-field play is not being intellectually honest.  Nobody really believes he's not one of the 96 best QB, do they?  So yeah, it's about the "distraction" combined with the fact that he's not a star.  If teams thought he could be a top-20 starter right now, he'd have over a dozen teams looking to get him. But since he appears to be marginal starter/quality backup at this point, they don't want to put up with it.  And it's aggravating.

I have a real problem with the fact that Joe Mixon was drafted while Kaepernick's career is probably over.  The question is, who is my problem with?  Yeah, the NFL gets too hung up on this "distraction" canard (which I believe also cost Tim Tebow his opportunity).  Yeah, it's hypocritical to give actual criminals jobs. But my real beef is with the fans.  NFL fans are the worst.  While fans grumble about the Vicks and Hardys, Kaep is the only player who's employment actually threatens to chase fans away.  Not only are NFL fans the drunkenest, most boorish and insufferable fans there are, but when they are not busy calling people like us "snowflakes" they are showing their own snowflakiness by losing their damn minds that someone is not following patriotism protocol the way they would.  He's doing it non-violently, he's doing it for a cause (a cause that the average NFL fan is against), and he's putting his time and his money where his mouth is.  And he's a bigger public enemy than Joe Mixon.  And it's the left that's intolerant of diverging opinions and philosophies.  Kaepernick's been the class of this whole thing.

So do I boycott the NFL or do I have to understand that the NFL has no choice but to blackball him lest their snowflake fans tune out.  Neither, but between this and the CTE issue, I think my already waning interest (do to overexposure, primarily) will just sort of continue until it's gone...of course if the freaking Vikings look like they're going to get that Super Bowl monkey off their back, I'll probably tune in...until the other shoe drops.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin