Are people generally becoming more rude/ less courteous?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mfc2006 said:
    rgambs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I think a lot of younger people didn't learn social graces because they're always glued their phones, a tv or another device.
    While they are certainly guilty of being somewhat oblivious and inconsiderate, I've seen that young people are more courteous now than boomers, once their attention is focused.
    I've never been flipped off or road-raged by anyone
    under the age of 35 or so, it's always the 40 to 60 crowd that acts out when driving or in public spaces.

I also feel a need to point out that while per capita volume of youngsters glued to their devices is higher, the boomers absolutely own the shitbag awards in terms of being completely incapacitated when using devices in public.  There is no sense even trying to deal with a 50+ person who is trying to text, email, or talk on a cell phone, they are gone to the world.
    Good point. I shouldn't generalize the younger generation like that. I think a lot of the population has forgotten about basic courtesy 
    I agree although I might argue that the G.I. generation (the few that are left) are generally more polite and courteous than the average boomer, gen x'er, or millennium are.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It's a shame that devices have (somewhat) eroded the golden rule.  I can't blame only technology for that, though. General asshole-ness will always be around.  Parents who don't give a shit about teaching their children about basic decency will always be around.

Can't forget there are counters to that all around as well...positive ones.

Just saw that Hawaii is going to ban use of the black boxes in crosswalks.  Who knows if it'll take or even make a difference.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    rgambs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I think a lot of younger people didn't learn social graces because they're always glued their phones, a tv or another device.
    While they are certainly guilty of being somewhat oblivious and inconsiderate, I've seen that young people are more courteous now than boomers, once their attention is focused.
    I've never been flipped off or road-raged by anyone
    under the age of 35 or so, it's always the 40 to 60 crowd that acts out when driving or in public spaces.

I also feel a need to point out that while per capita volume of youngsters glued to their devices is higher, the boomers absolutely own the shitbag awards in terms of being completely incapacitated when using devices in public.  There is no sense even trying to deal with a 50+ person who is trying to text, email, or talk on a cell phone, they are gone to the world.
    Good point. I shouldn't generalize the younger generation like that. I think a lot of the population has forgotten about basic courtesy 
    I agree although I might argue that the G.I. generation (the few that are left) are generally more polite and courteous than the average boomer, gen x'er, or millennium are.
    I agree with that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Piss off!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Piss off!
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Online, yes. In real life, not really. 

www.cluthelee.com
    Hard to tell in Massachusetts. These people have always been rude assholes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Guy tried to run me down in a cross walk again today.  I guess it is me.  "Get that fucker with the ugly scar on his face!  Run him over!"
    :lol:

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    brianlux said:
    This is a good topic that I think about fairly often because my town is very big on not being rude and instead being intentionally friendly with eye contact, saying hello when passing strangers, getting into conversations with strangers, and doing random acts of kindness. It's also kind of a thing to gripe about rude Californians in Oregon. It does seem very regional. Brian, I try not to generalize about people from Cali, but people with Cali plates tend to be bastards on the road, and they do come across as wound pretty tight/cold presentation. I actually had a conversation with a guy from the Bay area standing in GA waiting for the Jack Johnson show. He was younger, 19 or 20, and talked about how people move about with a rough demeanor there, but once you get through that initial barrier, they're nicer. We ended up having a nice conversation about a lot of mutual interests. 
    Do you mind asking where your town is, or even just the county or state? 

Yes, California in general has become a place of rather aggressive behavior. 

About ten years ago, my wife and I traveled across country to visit friends.  We took mostly "blue highways", smaller roads that led through interesting places.  The best vibe I got with the friendliest people was in a small town (can't remember where, exactly) in Nebraska.  I thought, "If this weren't so far from an ocean, I could live here!"
    I live in Bend. It's interesting with the town really growing quickly over the last 15 years and seeing people's response to that. People from Cal get a bad rap, but I think that initially came from the issue of cheaper real estate here. They move to Oregon after selling their overly expensive house down there. People got pissed because they say them as driving up housing prices. In Portland there's a level of open hostility about it. This has led to a confirmation bias about Californians. If someone acts like a jerk and happens to be from Cali, then they are a "typical Californian". When someone from Washington is a jerk, they're just a jerk. 
    Bend is awesome !
    I love it and feel grateful everyday that I get to live here. 
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    This is a good topic that I think about fairly often because my town is very big on not being rude and instead being intentionally friendly with eye contact, saying hello when passing strangers, getting into conversations with strangers, and doing random acts of kindness. It's also kind of a thing to gripe about rude Californians in Oregon. It does seem very regional. Brian, I try not to generalize about people from Cali, but people with Cali plates tend to be bastards on the road, and they do come across as wound pretty tight/cold presentation. I actually had a conversation with a guy from the Bay area standing in GA waiting for the Jack Johnson show. He was younger, 19 or 20, and talked about how people move about with a rough demeanor there, but once you get through that initial barrier, they're nicer. We ended up having a nice conversation about a lot of mutual interests. 

About ten years ago, my wife and I traveled across country to visit friends.  We took mostly "blue highways", smaller roads that led through interesting places.  The best vibe I got with the friendliest people was in a small town (can't remember where, exactly) in Nebraska.  I thought, "If this weren't so far from an ocean, I could live here!"
    I live in Bend. It's interesting with the town really growing quickly over the last 15 years and seeing people's response to that. People from Cal get a bad rap, but I think that initially came from the issue of cheaper real estate here. They move to Oregon after selling their overly expensive house down there. People got pissed because they say them as driving up housing prices. In Portland there's a level of open hostility about it. This has led to a confirmation bias about Californians. If someone acts like a jerk and happens to be from Cali, then they are a "typical Californian". When someone from Washington is a jerk, they're just a jerk. 
    Bend is awesome !
    That's cool!  Such a place sets a great example. 

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    dankind said:
    Hard to tell in Massachusetts. These people have always been rude assholes. 
    Yea same as it's ever been haha.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    brianlux said:

Bend is awesome !
    Such a beautiful city.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i think people have always been this way, but your perception has a lot to do with your interactions. 
    did you see me? i saw you.
    edited July 2017
    i think people have always been this way, but your perception has a lot to do with your interactions. 
    If you know any who are still alive, perhaps ask some G.I. generation folks if they see people as more, less or equal in terms of being courteous and polite today compared to the past and maybe let us know what they say.

P.S.  Great avatar photo.  I love old buildings like that.  WAH is cool to!
    Post edited by brianlux on

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    It's the "WE"-thinking which is getting lost... basic problem in so many issues.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    ^^^
    You're not unlucky.  You're living in the USA that President Trump is and he wants it to stop. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

...right...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    The toxic discourse is Obama's fault.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    It will all be OK now though because Trump will make it all right.  How do I know this?  PJFan said so!

brianlux said:
    It will all be OK now though because Trump will make it all right.  How do I know this?  PJFan said so!
    Careful, Brian. This post could get you flagged. 

Invoking its name gives it power.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Careful, Brian. This post could get you flagged. 

Invoking its name gives it power.
    I certainly do not want in invoke the wrath of...

"its name"  :lol:

Well played, Dan!

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I think it depends on how you view things.  If you ask alot of Canadians what they think about people in Toronto, many will say that they are rude and smug but I find people in Toronto to be very kind.  Does that mean they always are? hell no but overall they are very nice.  do they go around saying hi to people and saying thanks?  no but go to a bar and anyone will talk to you.  People are very busy now compared to anytime in history and we can't have the same expectation that we had in the past. 

Every time I go to American, I find most of the people I met to be very nice.  strangely, the 1 city I found weird was San Fran. but even there I met very cool and nice people
    fife said:
    I think it depends on how you view things.  If you ask alot of Canadians what they think about people in Toronto, many will say that they are rude and smug but I find people in Toronto to be very kind.  Does that mean they always are? hell no but overall they are very nice.  do they go around saying hi to people and saying thanks?  no but go to a bar and anyone will talk to you.  People are very busy now compared to anytime in history and we can't have the same expectation that we had in the past. 

Every time I go to American, I find most of the people I met to be very nice.  strangely, the 1 city I found weird was San Fran. but even there I met very cool and nice people
    Trust me, San Francisco people have always been weird.  :lol:

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    brianlux said:
    fife said:

maybe I expected the sterotype of San fran but I found them to be conservative and not what I expected.  the weird part was that they were not weird but from what I understand, with all the tech companies there the city has changed alot
    fife said:
    brianlux said:
    fife said:

maybe I expected the sterotype of San fran but I found them to be conservative and not what I expected.  the weird part was that they were not weird but from what I understand, with all the tech companies there the city has changed alot
    Sadly (to me anyway) it's a changed place.  My favorite era in The City (we call it) was the 50'/early 60's.  The was the Beat era, the time of the longshoremen, the Herb Caen era, the time when cool old warehouses dominated south of Market, the time when the Folger's Coffe plant perfumed the west end of the Bay Bridge with the smell of coffee, when the stink of fish and crabs was more predominant than tourists.  The 60's had it's charm for sure, but was short live.  Peace and love morphed quickly into tombstone eyes and burnt out lost souls.  The 70's/early eighties brought a fine, gritty punk vibe revival.  But then the 90's and 00's led to the high tech take over of wealthy hipsters who know shit about the heritage and charm that was once the great city of San Francisco.  Only the Golden Gate park and a few other spots maintain any allure for me today. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:
    It's funny, I've found that lack of courtesy spans across all ages, races, genders.  People are more and more in their own bubbles, mostly digital ones at that, and leaves them self-absorbed and unaware (or unwilling to see) other drivers, fellow shoppers, people who may need a door held for them, and on.

Agreed that LA drivers can be utter assholes, but all I can do is be considerate and drive defensively, eyes wide open.

i find that there are certain cultures that SEEM rude, but i think, from numerous observations, that it is a cultural difference perceived as rudeness by the culture i was raised in. if one culture acts in a certain way, even to each other, it's not considered rude. but to a different culture, it can be anger inducing. i am sure there are things that other cultures think are rude the way i act, but most or all of my peers act the same way. 

i'm not sure if society is getting ruder. i think it's a general observation as one gets older that you perceive that to be the case. i am like george costanza, to be honest. i find the slightest human transgression maddening. not moving to the back of the bus because they are scared they'll never make it out alive; honking at someone moving too slowly on a crosswalk, that sort of thing. i don't get it. everyone needs to calm the fuck down. 

i don't think it's the digital age either. people our age tend to rag on kids on the bus or walking down the street as being buried in their phones. i saw a pic somewhere on the web that countered that: it was a commuter train FULL of men buried in the daily news, not talking to each other. our tendencies are the same, just different technology. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I live in a building with a range of ages and cultures.  Almost 90% of the time I encounter them on the elevator, no matter who, they are immersed in their phone.  Or talking loudly on it.  No acknowledgement that there is someone with them in an enclosed space.  

Again, it's nothing to with their age (though maybe it is to do with mine, as my tolerance for many bullshit actions from anyone has lowered quite a bit as I've gotten older).  It's just lack of courtesy - not just technologically - and sometimes, self-awareness.

Love the George reference, by the way =)
    My dad is an old timer who only recently started using a cell phone with voice only. He doesn't use the internet ever. There's a hilarious photo of him and his siblings sitting around a table where each one of them is totally buried in the newspaper. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    My dad is an old timer who only recently started using a cell phone with voice only. He doesn't use the internet ever. There's a hilarious photo of him and his siblings sitting around a table where each one of them is totally buried in the newspaper. 
    Buried in a newspaper? Sounds damn near ideal to me. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Buried in a newspaper? Sounds damn near ideal to me. 
    Oftenreading ain't no joke. 
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2017
    ^^^
    I still read and subscribe to the newspaper just because I enjoy it and I now know why my father always had a newspaper in tow. However I can't shake the feeling anymore that what I am reading on print is old news.  I won't quit my steadfast delivery of the local news because I enjoy reading it before the day that is about to start but passing that trait onto the kids is getting harder and harder to want to do.  In the morning I read basically "outdated" news because in this world now if it is more than 12hrs old it is old.