jack white help

2»

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited November 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Ok forgive me because I just discovered/realized the brilliance of Jack White. I saw a live show on tv last night and I've been listening to him all morning. Someone point to a starting point...what album do I get first?
    I feel ashamed that it took so long to listen to him.
    Mike

You really can't go wrong with Jack.
    The white stripes
    The Recounters
    Dead Weather
    His solo albums
    It's all good!

My fave White Stripes album is De stijl
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Already been stated several times but The Raconteurs is my favorite project of his. He's pretty much a genius in my book and he's quite a funny guy. Check out his interviews with Conan (they're buds).
    I'm through with screaming
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I got into him late as well and was given some great advice, start at the beginning with the White Stripes 1st album.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited November 2016
    rgambs said:

Anything but Lazaretto, save that for last.
    And you still might hate it, I love Jack White but that album is hard on the ears.

Wow, I think it's amazing. Better than Blunderbuss IMO. More creative. I love the whole thing. Although I agree perhaps it shouldn't be the first album someone hears when they start listening to Jack White. I think some might need to understand JW better before enjoying Lazaretto (and apparently not even then, but I think it's great). Same goes for the live stuff, as others said. It's incredible, but a person might have to "get" JW before getting into live shows..... Then again.... while this theory somehow makes sense, I didn't need any "easing in" with Jack White's work at all. All of his work struck me immediately, and the more creative (aka weirder) it was, the more I liked it right off the bat. So really it just depends on the individual and their own way of perceiving stuff. Therefore I agree with the advice already offered: Start at the beginning and go from there. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    kasedoug said:

I have an extra sealed black copy of the acoustic recordings compilation that he put out a few months back if you're interested.

If you're looking to get started, I've got an extra sealed copy of the Acoustic Recordings compilation 2LP black vinyl for $25 shipped Media Mail. Paid $34 for it in-store at my local record store.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Anything but Lazaretto, save that for last.
    And you still might hate it, I love Jack White but that album is hard on the ears.

Yeah I was listening to lazaretto last night and there's definitely some songs I was not into. The song lazaretto is freaking amazing.
    pm'd you..
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Hey guys thanks for the record offers but unfortunately I have to scale back a bit since I needed a new roof last week. I continue to listen on YouTube and my are they good!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    so um, when is jack white touring?!  I watched his solo show at acl again last night and I need to see this guy live!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    He said he was gonna take some time off from touring for a few years. I'm sure he'll be back out on the road after another solo album. 
    I picked up all of is solo stuff on vinyl...time to work on the white stripes.  My man is so damn talented.  I absolutely love his sound.
    He said he was gonna take some time off from touring for a few years. I'm sure he'll be back out on the road after another solo album. 
    Of course as soon as I get into him he stops touring lol.
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    edited July 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    I picked up all of is solo stuff on vinyl...time to work on the white stripes.  My man is so damn talented.  I absolutely love his sound.
    1 day left to sign up for the White Stripes Icky Thump X anniversary package with Third Man's Vault. They have a referral contest going on as well if you're interested in that I can give you info on.

• Start with White Blood Cells and Elephant. Next check out Icky Thump and Get Behind Me Satan. I would say hold off on solo stuff and side projects until you check out the White Stripes albums 
    Start with White Blood Cells and Elephant. Next check out Icky Thump and Get Behind Me Satan. I would say hold off on solo stuff and side projects until you check out the White Stripes albums 
    I m digging this advice.  Gonna buy white blood cells next.   So much good material that I sadly missed in their heyday.

• ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Racontears i spelled it wrong
    But them live dvd
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2017
    mcgruff10 said: Gonna buy white blood cells next.

I have a sealed one for sale, $24 shipped priority mail and paid as Goods in the US
    mcgruff10 said: Gonna buy white blood cells next.

I have a sealed one for sale, $24 shipped priority mail and paid as Goods in the US

Oh man I ordered one last night off the bay.  Thanks though!