What if: Steve Albini produced Pearl Jam?

Watching Grohls Sonic Highways documentary, and he's interviewing Steve Albini. I always loved the sound of In Utero. 

Would he be a good fit with Pearl Jam? Would he make their material shine? 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    As much as I like Brendan O'Brien, I'd like to see the band do something different. If that means Albini, then so be it. In Utero does sound sweet, I agree with you on that. It'd be really cool and refreshing to see them get out of their comfort zone and do something out of left field, and in order to do that, I think Brendan O'Brien might need to take a backseat on this upcoming album.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    One of your best posts ever, OP. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Id be into it for the tone of the instruments and stuff like that.   Whether its a soft album or acoustic or a heavy one.  I just want a change in how its engineered.  Just to switch things up on me. 
  • AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    100% agree. Brendan did his work and it's awesome, but yeah time for a change. Steve Albini would be amazing. As long as they don't pick Danger Mouse (nothing against him, it's just been done - RHCPs, Beck, U2...) we're good. 
    AAJC said:
    100% agree. Brendan did his work and it's awesome, but yeah time for a change. Steve Albini would be amazing. As long as they don't pick Danger Mouse (nothing against him, it's just been done - RHCPs, Beck, U2...) we're good. 
    So 'no' to a Danger Mouse / Mark Ronson team effort? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I don't think he would.
    kramer73 said:
    I don't think he would.
    He said before he usually takes any bands that ask.  Would be amusing for sure
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I think it could sound good if he recorded them, but i don't think he personally is a good fit for the band. I've long been a proponent of them just having songs written/decided upone and bashing them out. I don't think steves personality could fit with the band. i could be wrong though.
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    edited July 2017
    Rick Rubin... listen to californication and by the way or audioslave, system of a down, etc and then just imagine what a pj album in that same vein would sound like... (and for those just waiting to bitch and complain: not sounding like the chili peppers/audioslave/etc, but a pj album with that sound and the overall production of those albums... Brendan who?...)
    time to crank the volume knobs back up to 11 loosen up, have fun and bring back that live in studio feel, one can dream...
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I hate to be a shyner but i must say i can't even think about stuff

24/7 chris cornell thoughts going on

I don't care if anyone ever makes another song

Love you all
  • AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    edited July 2017
    AAJC said:
    So 'no' to a Danger Mouse / Mark Ronson team effort? 
    Yeah, no. haha. 

I'm happy to throw my hat into the ring for their next project if they're looking. ;)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I'd be curious to the sound DM or Mark Ronson could get out of them. Could be super interesting. I mean, those dudes have produced rock bands and gotten some decent sounds out of them (especially Ronson with the Black Lips)

Shyner said:
    I hate to be a shyner but i must say i can't even think about stuff

24/7 chris cornell thoughts going on

I don't care if anyone ever makes another song

Love you all
    You should log off and reach out for help bud. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Nigel Godrich 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I'd be curious to the sound DM or Mark Ronson could get out of them. Could be super interesting. I mean, those dudes have produced rock bands and gotten some decent sounds out of them (especially Ronson with the Black Lips)

Looking forward to the QOTSA next album with Ronson on board.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Whoever recorded Matt's drums on the Brandi Carlisle cover needs to be involved
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Until i get banned for my art i cant log off and ask for help bubba. I log on to ask for help. 

Let neil young produce im sure that would work
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Shyner said:
    Until i get banned for my art i cant log off and ask for help bubba. I log on to ask for help. 

Let neil young produce im sure that would work
    Neil Young shouldn't be allowed close to producing. Not on his own stuff either. He really needs to find a producer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bigguybigeyebigguybigeye Posts: 205
    Ted Templeman.  Maybe not, he's 72 now.
    1994: ANN ARBOR
    2011: DETROIT (EV), HAMILTON
    2012: OSLO, COPENHAGEN, MEMPHIS (EV)
    2013: LONDON, CHICAGO, VANCOUVER, SEATTLE
    2014: ST. LOUIS, DETROIT
    2015: CHICAGO (EV & TOWNSHEND), NEW YORK
    2016: QUEBEC CITY, OTTAWA, TORONTO 1, BOSTON 1 & 2
    2018: LONDON 1, CHICAGO 1
    2022: HAMILTON