Options

Banning phones and cameras at shows

13»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

From The Arcade Fire  email for their upcoming Brooklyn show....

PHONE-FREE VIEWING EXPERIENCE:

No cellphones, cameras or recording devices will be allowed at this show. Upon arrival, all phones and smart watches will be secured in Yondr pouches that will be unlocked at the end of the show. Guests maintain possession of their phones throughout the night, and if needed, may access their phones at designated Yondr unlocking stations in the lobby.

This sounds reasonable to me.  And maybe if big acts that have the money to do it would say, "OK, look, we knew you're used to getting some nice shots and video so instead of letting you distract the show with your cell phones, we're going to have a roadie or two snap some nice shots and take some video and make it available for you on out web site.  That way you can just have a great time and not have to deal with all that distraction for you or your fellow concert goers.  Thank you."  Pearl Jam could certainly afford to do something like this and make the shows a better experience for all. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i dont care..everyone have the choice to enjoy his/her way the show..i dont care or check what other people do at the show..it doesnt matter
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 937
    Its soo annoying if you are at a show and the person in front of you is blocking your view with their phone most of the night.
    Thats when it does matter what other people do at the show when it begins to impact on your own experience

However I love seeing the 99% of shows I dont go to on youtube later
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    At the Jason Isbell show in Charleston the other night there were signs once you entered the venue about taking pictures/videos. Maybe it was because I was basically front row but except for one incident (douchebag decided to come up to the front and take a selfie while the band was playing) phones weren't really a problem. I did look back at the audience a few times and even down the row next to me and I honestly saw very few phones out.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    i dont care..everyone have the choice to enjoy his/her way the show..i dont care or check what other people do at the show..it doesnt matter
    I think it matters.  The problem is when how one person chooses to enjoy the show impacts another person.   Quite often when I have floor tickets I get someone in front of me filming entire songs and sticking their phone/camera (with the screen part of the display facing me) and blocking my view.  I try to shift over and they shift over, or there's another person with another phone doing the same thing.

Sure there's quite a number of people that are awesome.  Hold their phone up for second, snap a pic or two and put it back down.    I think the, keep the cell phones locked up, is a consequence of the people who push it too far and start impacting other peoples enjoyment of the concert.   It's hard to ignore phones held up in your line of sight :(

The only other option is to camp out for a few days and get rail :)

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    The Yondr bags sound like a solution that may work. Having security patrol the aisles ready to pounce on anyone who maybe might have a phone in their hand does not.

So much of this could be solved by mutual respect. Be aware of how your behavior is affecting those around you and don't worry so much about what everyone else is doing. Enjoy the show.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    It DOES matter...if you are up front for every show it may not matter to you. But as a veteran GAer for many many bands it is SO ANNOYING when people video every fucking song and "enjoy his/her way the show" affects the way I ENJOY THE SHOW!! This is a epidemic that won't stop I know, but I am GLAD to put down my phone and watch shows the way I used to before everyone had a damn phone in their hands. 
  • Options
    It DOES matter...if you are up front for every show it may not matter to you. But as a veteran GAer for many many bands it is SO ANNOYING when people video every fucking song and "enjoy his/her way the show" affects the way I ENJOY THE SHOW!! This is a epidemic that won't stop I know, but I am GLAD to put down my phone and watch shows the way I used to before everyone had a damn phone in their hands. 
    it doesnt matter to me
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Zod said:
    I think it matters.  The problem is when how one person chooses to enjoy the show impacts another person.   Quite often when I have floor tickets I get someone in front of me filming entire songs and sticking their phone/camera (with the screen part of the display facing me) and blocking my view.  I try to shift over and they shift over, or there's another person with another phone doing the same thing.

Sure there's quite a number of people that are awesome.  Hold their phone up for second, snap a pic or two and put it back down.    I think the, keep the cell phones locked up, is a consequence of the people who push it too far and start impacting other peoples enjoyment of the concert.   It's hard to ignore phones held up in your line of sight :(

thats why i go ga..so i can move  where ever i want..if someone wants to take videos or pic or selfies.,.his choce..i dont even turn to look at them..i dont waste my time with what other people does
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    edited July 2017
    it doesnt matter to me
    Good for you..and I do GA for same reason, but seriously...you all know you try to get a "Good Spot"...and then phones everywhere. 
  • Options
    it doesnt matter to me
    Good for you..and I do GA for same reason, but seriously...you all know you try to get a "Good Spot"...and then phones everywhere. 
    back of ga at soundbooth is the best place to dance,watch,,have the best sound,have personal space etc..and ofcourse move where ever u want..helps for relay too
    i ve been to like 40-45  ga pj  shows.i really dont bother what other people do..to tell u the truth if u worry what gonna happen around u.. ,u always gonna find something annoying around u..cellphones,someone screaming shit,,someone drunk,someone acting weird..etc
    so i go in positive mood,and dont care what others do
  • Options

Zod said:

thats why i go ga..so i can move  where ever i want..if someone wants to take videos or pic or selfies.,.his choce..i dont even turn to look at them..i dont waste my time with what other people does
    I get the opposite experience in GA.  If I shift the person holding up the phone seems to shift in the same direction.  If I move to a different spot, it's someone else with another phone.   I don't mean to be wasting my time, but you can't ignore them when their in front of your face.

I do agree with the above poster that having security handle it is horrible.  The only thing worse that people holding up cell phones in your face is security constantly plowing through your isle, or squishing their way through GA. 

Those bag things seems like an awesome idea.  No one loses their phone.   If you need to make a call there's a place you can do it.   Seems win/win to me.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited July 2017
    I definitely support something being done. I'm not bothered by people taking the occasional photo or quick vid, but that isn't what a lot of people do. They hold their stupid phones up for entire songs, filming them, and couldn't care less about blocking people behind them. A LOT of these jerks ruined my U2 experience in May. I've found that simply having someone who represents the band come out and making an announcement/plea immediately before the main act starts works just fine. The artist personally saying something after the first song or three also works. I don't understand why more artists don't do that. They all seem to really dislike all the phones being held up, but they almost never ask people to stop it. :confused:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    JimmyV said:
    The Yondr bags sound like a solution that may work. Having security patrol the aisles ready to pounce on anyone who maybe might have a phone in their hand does not.

So much of this could be solved by mutual respect. Be aware of how your behavior is affecting those around you and don't worry so much about what everyone else is doing. Enjoy the show.
    And in reality, less hands on phones most likely means more hands holding drinks. And the pics may go away, but you might have more drunk bastards*. It really is about respect - don't push through crowds, try not to block views, keep your drink in the cup or your belly, etc.

* Yes, usually the person pissing me off is the person who got loaded before the show and attempts to take blurry phone pics all night.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I definitely support something being done. I'm not bothered by people taking the occasional photo or quick vid, but that isn't what a lot of people do. They hold their stupid phones up for entire songs, filming them, and couldn't care less about blocking people behind them. A LOT of these jerks ruined my U2 experience in May. I've found that simply having someone who represents the band come out and making an announcement/plea immediately before the main act starts works just fine. The artist personally saying something after the first song or three also works. I don't understand why more artists don't do that. They all seem to really dislike all the phones being held up, but they almost never ask people to stop it. :confused:
    It's free advertising.  Those videos end up all over things like youtube and perascope.    I was listening to a podcast (that someone recommend in a thread title the other day) and the hosts were talking about how the videos are the greatest source of advertising for bands.   The other day I almost bought Roger Waters tickets because I saw the video circulating of him and eddie, and I've never seen Pink Floyd, roger waters, or doug gilmour.   I immediately went to TM to see if there was a Vancouver date (of which there was but only limited view tickets left :( ).
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,273
    edited July 2017
    We're missing the bigger picture here. I'll tell you what is a much bigger issue than phones or cameras, and has caused me way more problems over the years...

Tall people!! 

I've lost count of how many shows I've been to in the last 20 years where I think I've found the perfect spot, not too crowded, great line of sight, just at the right point sound-wise... only for some fuckin' behemoth to block my view 2 songs in! Sometimes I even have to move a metre or so to one side to be able to see, only for them to move too! Who gave you the right to be so tall? It's completely unnecessary and you're ruining my enjoyment of the show.

I'm sure they do it on purpose. Bastards! Ban them, I say! :lol:
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Fuck GA. Wings are the way to go. Great line of sight, great sound, nobody so tall I can't see (5'8). Someone has a phone out? Not messing with my seeing or hearing the show. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    goldrush said:
    We're missing the bigger picture here. I'll tell you what is a much bigger issue than phones or cameras, and has caused me way more problems over the years...

Tall people!! 

I've lost count of how many shows I've been to in the last 20 years where I think I've found the perfect spot, not too crowded, great line of sight, just at the right point sound-wise... only for some fuckin' behemoth to block my view 2 songs in! Sometimes I even have to move a metre or so to one side to be able to see, only for them to move too! Who gave you the right to be so tall? It's completely unnecessary and you're ruining my enjoyment of the show.

Well, even tall people suffer from this. I am tall, but there is still always at least one person taller than me blocking my view, lol. And there is usually someone even taller up there blocking that person's view, haha.
    I have actually heard people seriously suggest that all tall fans be forced to the back of the floor as a rule. I may have scowled these people to death when they said it. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

Tall people!! 

Well, even tall people suffer from this. I am tall, but there is still always at least one person taller than me blocking my view, lol. And there is usually someone even taller up there blocking that person's view, haha.
    I have actually heard people seriously suggest that all tall fans be forced to the back of the floor as a rule. I may have scowled these people to death when they said it. :lol:
    Yah.... It's obviously not as bad for tall people, but there's always another tall person blocking the tall person view too.

Even I (at 6'2) don't like being on the floor after row 20.  Can't see much of the stage.    I also don't want to see tall people banned to the back.   I suppose the problem could also be solved by banning all short people to the seats :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

Tall people!! 

Yah.... It's obviously not as bad for tall people, but there's always another tall person blocking the tall person view too.

Even I (at 6'2) don't like being on the floor after row 20.  Can't see much of the stage.    I also don't want to see tall people banned to the back.   I suppose the problem could also be solved by banning all short people to the seats :)
    Now you're talking! :lol:
    If anything, all tall people should be up at the front because we're taller. We win. =)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on