Options

Arcade Fire

Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
edited January 2012 in Other Music
Recently got into Arcade Fire and all I can say about this band is WOW! All 3 albums are unbelievable. Funeral has quickly become one of my favorite albums of all time. I can't believe it took me this long to get into these guys. Shame on me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    One of my favorite bands! Check out the B-side Cold Wind and their self-titled EP which was recorded a few years before funeral. The EP has some weaker songs IMO and if I remember correctly may even have a different lineup, but it definitely has a few songs worth checking out...Headlghts Look Like Diamonds and Old Flame are two songs from the EP that I would recommend and I think the last one is pretty good as well. It also has a different version of No Cars Go, but I like the one on Neon Bible a lot better. Better yet, just check out the entire EP and decide for yourself! :D
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    welcome aboard. i'd make it a life mission of yours to see them in a live setting if you havent already. Funeral and Neon Bible and The Suburbs are mindblowing, but, their live show is even better than those albums. Ive never seen a show, where the crowd was THAT into the band and the songs. Ive never felt more spiritual, more connected to god, to life, to others, than at the 2 shows ive seen with AF. They couldnt set the bar higher, nor could my words and praise for them. In 2007 i saw them for what was at the time the most significant and favorite concert ever. In 2010 i saw them for a second time, and they were even better than the first time. They are indeed a special band

Funeral is indeed a modern day classic. Ive always been drawn to AF's fairy tale imagery. I think when the history books are written and we look back on what was known as the hipster scene or the indie scene of the 2000's, AF are going to figure prominently in the telling of that.

Plus this is a band in its prime. 3 albums in, and every single one has been recieved in a Radiohead like way.

You joined at a good time, but you missed some good times my friend! In 2004/2005 when the band was just becoming known, there was an electricity and excitement in indie rock in canada and the uk, that i miss terribly and want it to return. seemed like Montreal was the new Seattle. You had new guitar groups out the wazoo. There was an excitement to the band, to AF back then, if you ever have a few hours to kill try and track down old blog posts, from indie rock blogs from way back then. People were FREAKING out. The bands audience grew slowly, and soon David Bowie and David Byrne were both personally giving out copies of Funeral to friends and family, and Chris Martin calling them the "greatest band in history".

if you havent already, check out any of the other big montreal bands who are often associated with arcade fire and that time. The national are good friends with arcade fire. They are one of the most solidly consisent bands in indie rock. Broken Social Scene shares the 9 member group aspect of arcade fire, and i think they are a band i'd assocate most closely with arcade fire. Their album Forgot it in You is up there with Funeral as one of the best albums of the 2000's. Several offshoots of that would be Feist, for some great singer songwriter, easy going music, music you'd hear at starbucks but still great stuff. And Stars a side project of several members of BSS. Wolf Parade, their album Apoligies to Queen Mary is another classic. Godspeed you Black Emperor is another influential band out of canada.
  • Options
    DOWNerDOWNer Posts: 60
    I've caught some of their stuff on my pandora stations and really enjoyed what I heard. I saw them on Austin City Limits recently and was blown away! Now I really want to see them live. Looks like a helluva show...
    <a href="http://www.artsymcgee.com/"&gt;
    artsymcgee.com</a>
  • Options
    I cant think of anything more lifeaffirming than screaming every word to every song Arcade Fire plays on their set list.

i love that the band also serves both my anglophile and francophile cravings. i enjoy all the bits of french thrown in the songs.

as i mentioned above they have an almost childlike view of the world, and i could picture their songs being made into a harry potter type series or something.

Streetlights all burnt out, your eyes are shooting sparks

my family tree is losing its leaves, my whole life ive been learning to drive

talk about expressive and emotion filled lyrics. i can SEE those lyrics.

Something filled up, my heart with nothing, someone told me not to cry, now that im older my heart is colder i can see that its a lie

Alexander our older brother set out for a great adventure, our brother bit by a vampire for a year we caught his tears in a jar.

Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is, so lift those heavy eyelids, people say that youll die faster than without water, but we know thats just a lie, scare your sons scare your daughters

And if my parents are crying then ill dig a tunnel from my window to yours, yeah a tunnel from my window to yours

ice has covered up my parents hands dont have any dreams dont have any plans, kids are swinging from the power lines, nobodies home so nobody minds.

I can see these lyrics. They paint a picture in my mind.
  • Options
    DOWNer wrote:
    I've caught some of their stuff on my pandora stations and really enjoyed what I heard. I saw them on Austin City Limits recently and was blown away! Now I really want to see them live. Looks like a helluva show...

its more than that.

it puts every band to shame. ive sort of lived off the high i got from those shows, for years. If you do see them live try and get the first couple rows, i did not have great seats in 2007, but win invited people to rush the front rows a couple songs in so i was maybe 8th row. In 2010, i got in line an hour and a half early for a GA show, and was way back in line, this line stretched around the arena, onto the sidewalk. I guess every single person in live went to the seats, because i ended up getting 5th row. They are great from any vantadge point, but if you can, try and get up close. I may see you or be battling to get up close with you the next show! Something about the first couple rows with diehards who are singing along every single word, screaming out loud every single word, freaking out. Most shows you just want to get lost in the music and let the band take over. AF demand you are part of it. The crowd joins in and its like some sort of religious revival or something. I swear ive told this a million times but the portland 2007 show, that i was at, that stone, members from modest mouse and the shins, and members of death cab were at, i looked back, up to the top of the balcony, and it seemed like it was going to topple down, because people were that into it, even in those balcony seats.

unfortunately seems like the days of them going into the crowd and singing a song are over with. In portland in 2005, i missed it, but they played their last song and started leaving the arena asking the audience to come with them, they played a few songs out on the street in front of the venue, and cops had to be called. Wake up was often times performed in the crowd, they'd bring the drums and mics on the floor, set up and they'd be surrounded by people and they'd play. Or they'd play a song in the lobby of the venue afterwords. Those days appear to be over sadly, thats what i was getting at. They are the best live band on the planet, but it seems like those shows in 2005/2006, and i missed those concerts myself, were on a whole other level.

Heres Neon Bible in a elevator, and Wake up in the middle of the crowd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5XK-2Ufd4

wake up in the chruch they recorded neon bible in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbjf7OcpCio

power out paris 05, watch for will going nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwHdrY_pbJI
  • Options
    Fantastic band. I've read a lot of criticisms of them here on the board and just don't understand it. They are a force.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I listened to the suburbs today... what a masterpiece!!!! my favourite one is neon bible though... you can check Arcade Fire in VEVO, you might still watch the MSG show from last year, it was superb, and it was streamed live... it blew my mind... you can check the DVD miroir noir, it is fantastic, you will catch a glimpse of what arcade fire is about and there are some live shots...

I learnt about them via myspace, and on the same week I read an article about them on the Argentinian edition of the French Magazine Les Inrockuptibles, it was about Funeral, that would be around 2004 or 2005. I checked the song on myspace, those were so good, then I realized they put out a record... my first purchase was neon bible, on vinyl, I got the the merge edition, with the download coupon, so I learnt a lot about them and other bands, but arcade fire is my fav from merge catalogue...

I buy all my arcade fire stuff from merge records, the first ep is from 2003, and was rerissued on 2005 by merge records after funeral, cold wind is not a b side, is the first merge records 7" and it's b/w brazil (the brazilian popular song) and those song are only available on that 7", you can still get it from merge along with the three others 7" singles from neon bible, except for the second version of power out and the singles from funeral, they are available only on the arcade fire website, except neighbourhood #1 (tunnels), only 150 were made, you can get it from time to time around 200 USD or more, the b side is the same as neighbourhood #2 (laika), but the artwork of tunnels is superb, plus they are only 150...

the last song of the ep is entitled "vimpire forest fire", very very cool tune, but my favs are "the woodlands national anthem" and "headlights look like diamonds"... no vinyl or 7" for this ep, nor for the suburbs, you could get a promo 12" from merge or arcade fire site for the suburbs b/w month of may, but now your chances are on the bay or discogs, I got from the bay a special edition from portugal, the suburbs CD, the regular one, + the promo one sided 7" of we used to wait, and sprawl II won a prize in canada, don't know which one, and it was released as a split 7" but I don't remember the other artist... neon bible has a special edition on CD, and the suburbs deluxe reissue is awesome...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Hands down the best band to come from the last decade. Finally got to see them in Charlottesville last year with my wife less than two weeks before she gave birth to our daughter. The only way we would have missed it was if she went into labor, so I'm glad little Neko held out for us! :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Can't get into them much at all. Looks like it would be a blast to be into them and be part of one of their shows.

Wake Up is a great song. Reminds me a little of the Flaming Lips somehow. But that and a few others are all I can tolerate.
  • Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I must say that I don't get the hype as well. I think they are alright, but I just seem to think they are overrated. A phenomenon. I think the emperor has no clothes on folks. I do listen to them. Think that they have some good songs. Melodramatic and pretentious comes to mind, but then again so is david bowie and david byrne. That's a little harsh I guess. :? Most of the time I think I'm listening to connor from bright eyes.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Just recently started listening to them, have the Funeral album. I think they may grow on me. I'll have to listen a little while longer to decide.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yep I fell for their music not long ago.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    They are the Talking Heads of today. And that is a good thing.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    i totally feel like Funeral and Is This It will be looked at as the two defining Nevermind like albums of this generation, or of the 2000-2010 period.

Its kind of hard to describe what arcade fire is like in a live setting. And especially in that time period of 2004-2007. The pitchfork set knew who they were, but they werent a well known band. In fact until Pitchfork gave them that now legendary 9.7 out of 10 review, they werent known to anyone really. And during that time period, it was so bizaare. you'd have people telling you to go see this band, who played unbelievable live, and you'd see them and the fans at the show would be SO into it, and then you'd exit the show and no one else in town would know who they are or were.

And i think thats what makes Arcade Fire, and music in general so important. i think we all want to feel a part of something. a movement. a community. a scene. to feel connected. and i think Arcade Fire are adept at fostering such an experience.

The pitchfork review, which i think is their finest ever, talks about our generation, spiritually bereft and bankrupt, violence, war, Bush, 9-11, terrorism, and how its so hard to find meaning in ones life, for our generation, to find something to believe in. And i think the review seemed to suggest and i would agree, this is a band that does both, they create meaningful art that directly and or indirectly discusses our generations struggles and also is that band to believe in.

Its been said by press way better than i could, stuff like "arcade fire isnt talking to us, they are us", and describing an arcade fire show at coachella 2007, as a watershed moment of our generation. to quote the la weekly after the show

"Instead, it was the look-inside-yourself call to arms I heard at Arcade Fire that spoke to me. Like a good preacher, Butler got our attention first, then asked us to act. “Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is. Sleeping is giving in, so lift those heavy eyelids” (“Rebellion”).

I left the show with my eyes open, and decided to move outside my musical comfort zone, heading to raver dance tents and hip-hop rap-offs, to see if the feeling would transcend. It did, for rest of the festival. I felt that oneness. I felt a wave rebuilding. The machine is so broken now, it’s almost redundant to rage against it. What’s left is to fight the power in our own quieter lives".

that ending couple sentence is among my most favorite.

Ultimately i think, people age. they grow up. the feelings of a band describing your life or an album defining your life, seems to fade as people age and grow old. when was the last time you heard someone 50 years old saying a current album or band defines their 50's or their life? I think with Arcade Fire, you have a band that is the band we have all been waiting for, the band that changes or changed our lives. a band that defines our complex times. this is that band. a band that writes mythical stories in the form of songs for our times.

In 2004/2005 they were big because they gave us all something to believe in again. In 2012, they are still that band. now they just have 2 more albums under their belt. I eagerly await album 4 and the life changing tour that follows.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    They are the Talking Heads of today. And that is a good thing.

i definitely agree in a certian degree. byrne is pivotal both to the bands early success and because AF sounds alot like Talking Heads, and the TH are one of those bands who are important and influential but are underrated.

with arcade fire, seems like they are way more popular than the TH.

Much is made on this site of my love affair with indie music. and if all thats remembered about this scene, thats lasted what 11 years now, from Is this It, to now, is Funeral, Neon Bible and The Suburbs, i think thats a pretty damn good legacy to have. i couldnt be prouder to be associated with a scene, movement, that has that as its legacy.

Piggybacking off my last post, rare is the band that makes classic and timeless music, rarer is the band that makes the listener feel wanted, loved, special, understood, and that the band is something we can believe in, in a world of lies and deceit.

I also think Arcade Fire is a gateway drug to the magic that is indie music. Im jealous of anyone who is getting into them just now, for the first time, and then spirals out, to the other canadian indie bands, and to indie bands in general.

People always decry rock and current music. music seems fine to me as long as bands like AF are still recording and touring
  • Options
    Just listened to Funeral yesterday. That album will never get old. Such a classic....definitely one of my top albums of all time.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    New music coming very soon! A new vinyl is being sold at a concert but I forgot the name already. 
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,804
    New music coming very soon! A new vinyl is being sold at a concert but I forgot the name already. 
    Need more info please! One of the best bands out there 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Sounds like we'll be hearing a new single by tomorrow....can't wait!

http://www.spin.com/2017/05/arcade-fire-everything-now-rumors-posters/
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,423
    They just announced a U.S. tour.....playing Los Angeles on October 20!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    Single is solid.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    They just announced a U.S. tour.....playing Los Angeles on October 20!
    F N A Cotton, F N A!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,807
    I will be at their Brooklyn show on Thursday. My wife won tix!!! 10 years after our first time seeing them. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Right on, SVRD! While these songs on album don't register with me, I'm certain they'll transition to a live setting very well! Have fun!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    rebellion is awesome
    danny d
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,807
    Right on, SVRD! While these songs on album don't register with me, I'm certain they'll transition to a live setting very well! Have fun!
    Thank you!!!! I'm digging the new songs but it seems like not too many people enjoy it so far. AF is in my top 5 bands ever so I'm pumped. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Listened to the new album a couple times and not liking it at all.  Peter Pan and Chemistry are just flat out awful songs....easily the worst songs they've ever made.  Hopefully some of these songs will translate better in concert.  Still one of my favorite bands, but this feels like a big miss.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Sick show in Vancouver last night!
    Only bummer is they didn’t play Keep the Car Running.
    Great dance party and I like how they left the stage through the audience with everyone singing and swaying to Wake Up.
    Like them much more after last night that girl can really wail on drums!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,423
    RobbyD462 said:
    Sick show in Vancouver last night!
    Only bummer is they didn’t play Keep the Car Running.
    Great dance party and I like how they left the stage through the audience with everyone singing and swaying to Wake Up.
    Like them much more after last night that girl can really wail on drums!
    How was the in-the-round aspect of the show?