Options

Seattle to San Francisco road trip - what to do?!

I'll be road tripping from Seattle to San Francisco in early September with some friends, just looking for some recommendations of things to do along the way.  Obviously I have a few ideas sight-seeing wise, but I'd like some suggestions from locals - in particular for nights out in Seattle, Portland and San Francsico, but all other suggestions welcome too.
Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'd suggest removing any Make America Great Again bumper stickers from your car.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    REDWOOD. TREES. ;)
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    "Keep your eyes on the road, your hand upon the wheel!"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    From Portland, head to the Pacific and take the 101 down. It travels alongside the coast line. Absolutely beautiful. It takes a bit more time than I-5, but totally worth it. And yes, it passes right through the Redwoods.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Hobbes said:
    From Portland, head to the Pacific and take the 101 down. It travels alongside the coast line. Absolutely beautiful. It takes a bit more time than I-5, but totally worth it. And yes, it passes right through the Redwoods.
    Yes and no Hobbes.  US 101 follows much lovely coast line through Oregon and down into CA but only as far as Eureka where it turns inland (and this time of year, HOT!).  From there it goes through some amazing redwood forests.  If you stay on 101 into Mendocino County, watch for Avenue of the Giants which basically parallels the highway but affords much better views of GIANT sequoia redwoods.

On US 101 at Leggett you have the option of taking CA 1 to coastal Mendocino County and on down into Sonoma and Marin Counties.  The 36 miles from Leggitt to Rockport (where you'll hit the coast) is fairly nice BUT is a very winding road, so go easy.  Once you hit the coast, you're in for some of the best CA coastal experiences.  The Point Arena Lighthouse is marvelous.  The little town of Mendocino is cool but crowded in the summer months.  The coast is especially beautiful when you get to  Sonoma county and that stretch is referred to as The Sonoma Coast.  Salt Point State Park on the ocean side is a must see.   Same with Point Reyes National Sea Shore, north of San Francisco.  And then of course, you'll get to cross the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge. 

IN SF, you probably be convinced to see Fisherman's Wharf which I guess is understandable and it's very "touristy" yet it's also not far from the great historic Beat Era bookstore, City Lights.  But also maybe check out some other spots like the incredible view (if no fog) up on Twin Peaks, Fort Point at the base of the G.G. Bridge, Noe Valley, and Lands End.  And of course Golden Gate Park is beautiful!

I wish I could recommend seeing the Sierras but in the late summer and fall with the fires we've been having it could be a bit of a let down. Very smokey!
    In any case, have a great time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    edited July 2017

House of Nanking (San Fran)

919 Kearny Street

Order the following:

1. Fried Shrimpackets
    2. Melts in your mouth fried calamari 
    3. Fried Pork potstickers 
    4. Famous Nanking Sesame chicken
    5. Tsingtao Beer

Very casual place but awesome!

Right up the street from there is Jack Kerouac Alley by City Lights Bookstore 

Cool little bar there (Vesuvio Cafe)

Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Right you are, Brian. I forgot you had to get off the 101 to continue down the coastline.

Caffe Trieste in North Shore is a cool spot. Bunch of the Beats hung out there. Coppola penned most of The Godfather there, too. If you are into garlic -- and I mean a lot of garlic -- The Stinking Rose would be your restaurant. Travel a bit south into Big Sur. Beautiful area.

As for Portland, the Pearl District is cool. Throw a rock in any direction and you'll hit a cool restaurant/bar/café. Great place to hipster watch. Some of the best eatin' is found at the food trucks. There are a number of "pods" in Downtown.

Also, if you happen to stop in Cannon Beach, OR, do yourself a favor and eat at Pizza A'Fetta. Delicious!
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    I have nothing to add but all this talk of driving down the coast has made me very nostalgic, but I don't remember why (his name). In any case, thanks for the drive down memory lane. Enjoy your trip. And I hate you all just a little bit for all the food talk. I'm in freakin' AZ....where food goes to die. :(
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Jason P said:
    I'd suggest removing any Make America Great Again bumper stickers from your car.
    Haha!  And yet if you pass through any of the following towns you might want to stick them back on:

Oregon:
    Bend
    Klamath Falls

California:
    Alturas
    Susanville
    Oroville
    and, sorry to say, you'd not get many odd looks in my town, Placerville.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.