ALS Charity Softball Game

BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
I don't post here often, so I apologize if I am over stepping my bounds or stepping on any toes.  My father is a former minor league baseball player and former local TV News Anchor in Charlotte, NC.  He played for the hall of fame manager Sparky Anderson. On June, 14th, 1966, he played in the longest uninterrupted professional baseball game in history. My father loves the Boston Red Sox. 
In November of 2016, he was diagnosed with ALS.  Here in Charlotte, we have an organization called the Joe Martin ALS Foundation.  They provide support to families dealing with ALS. My grandmother taught me to always give back twice as much as you borrow.  So, because this organization has helped my father so much in the last few months, I decided to organize a charity softball game.  The game combines my father's love of baseball with the rivalry of The Red Sox and The Yankees.   As you may know, ALS is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease. 

Please take a moment to watch the clips below and click the link to the event.

Thank you on behalf of the entire Taylor Family. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLZN9pegDE&t=1379s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkaVk13SA8g&t=24s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mssn7WsVMw
https://www.crowdrise.com/thejoemartinalsrivalrysoftballchallenge

I'm like a tab

Comments

• pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836

My mother was diagnosed in February of this year.  If you don't mind I'd like to share your crowdrise link on my Facebook to help raise awareness for this game.  Please let me know if that is an issue.  I will not post there until I hear back from you here.  Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer.

Much love and strength to you and your family,

Chris Walker

Plainfield, Indiana

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ALS robs so many people of what could be, what should be.

Best of thoughts from here too.

And bless you for giving back.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    We lost my Dad over a decade ago after a short & insanely intense battle with ALS.
    He was diagnosed in December, and passed in April.
    I am the youngest of 4.
    He never met my wife, my brother's wife, my sister's husband, and 3 of his grandkids.
    It hurts like hell, but we've been donating and fighting as much as we can in our own little part of the world. I applaud you for doing the same. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families, @DrewTaylor27 and @pjman75 . Please reach out any time....I'd be happy to give you my number if you want to talk. I've been through it....and I'd like to help in any way that I can.

I miss my Dad....more and more each day. We're trying to start our own family and I have so many questions to ask him. I've come to realize that he answers a lot of these questions for me even though he's not physically here anymore.

Be well & reach out anytime...I mean it.

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mfc2006 said:
    We lost my Dad over a decade ago after a short & insanely intense battle with ALS.
    I am the youngest of 4.
    He never met my wife, my brother's wife, my sister's husband, and 3 of his grandkids.
    It hurts like hell, but we've been donating and fighting as much as we can in our own little part of the world. I applaud you for doing the same. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families, @DrewTaylor27 and @pjman75 . Please reach out any time....I'd be happy to give you my number if you want to talk. I've been through it....and I'd like to help in any way that I can.

I miss my Dad....more and more each day. We're trying to start our own family and I have so many questions to ask him. I've come to realize that he answers a lot of these questions for me even though he's not physically here anymore.

Matt
    Beautiful post, Matt - and my dad (still) does that for me, though he passed from cancer.  Either way, a testament to our fathers and the role they continue to play in our lives.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    hedonist said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I am the youngest of 4.

Matt
    Beautiful post, Matt - and my dad (still) does that for me, though he passed from cancer.  Either way, a testament to our fathers and the role they continue to play in our lives.
    They help us all every single day. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    @mfc2006 thank you so much for saying that, same to you and yours.  I've got no clue how the future will unfold but I know today is good and I'm always here if needed as well.
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    edited February 2018
    I'm VERY sorry again... like I said... I don't post here often so this update is extremely late, however, 

I wanted to tell you all that we raised $15,000 for The Joe Martin ALS Foundation last year during this Charity Softball game, and we are currently planning this years event for May 19th.

Here are some photos of the event last July.... again, I'm sorry I didn't update this sooner.  

In case you are wondering, I wore a complete replica 1940's wool Red Sox uniform.   The pants and socks are part of my father's old Cardinals uniform.   The jersey and hat are official Cooperstown replica's.  

I played college baseball... let me tell you... I gained a WHOLE new respect for players from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's.   

Wool uniforms are FUCKING HOT..... 

Post edited by BlackCircle on
    I'm like a tab