Options

Amplifiers for Acoustic Guitar

Does anyone on here play an acoustic through an amp? If so, what kind of amp? Do you have issues in live settings with other instruments? 

I'm using an older SWR California Blonde. The Martin acoustic bass sounds fantastic through it. The 6 string and vocals take a lot more care to dial in pleasing tone. 

I've been thinking about the Genz Shenandoah, Fender Acoustisonic or the Fishman Loudbox Performer to use for guitar outings.

Any thoughts on these or other amps you've been impressed with? 
If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

Comments

• Options
    dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    I've really liked every Fishman Loudbox I've played through. I've messed with a friends loudbox performer or artist whatever (the bigger one) I have a loudbox mini myself and is great for small café type gigs.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    when my bands play acoustic we don't use amps. we just plug our acoustics straight into the pa. that way we don't have to futz with extra amps. 

i have heard people rave about the recent marshall acoustic amps, but i have never played an acoustic amp.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    when my bands play acoustic we don't use amps. we just plug our acoustics straight into the pa. that way we don't have to futz with extra amps. 

i have heard people rave about the recent marshall acoustic amps, but i have never played an acoustic amp.
    I used to go right to the PA too. The problem I had was at the smaller, shittier places that didn't have stage monitors. At least with an amp onstage, I'll be able to hear myself a little.

I'll look into the new Marshalls too.
  • Options
    Was just at GC today and played with a bunch of acoustic amps.

The new Fishman amps are pretty nice but the deep punch from my Martin just doesn't come through. I really tried to dial in the tone but it just wasn't happening. 

The Fender Acoustic whatever with the wood cabinet sounds pretty good too but I had the same problem as I had with the Fishman. Just not enough body.

Other than those two, they had a few different Acoustic brand amps. I tried the biggest two and they sound full and rich. However, they have the noisiest top end I've ever heard. 

So, I'm still looking. Hopefully I can find a Genz or Marshall to try out locally. Until then, I'll stick with the California Blonde and experiment with preamps.
  • Options
    That's fair about the Fishman/Martin combo. I've only used old Taylor 314ce and current 714ce through the Fishman's. Haven't put any electronics in the D-41. Not sure I will be installing anything at this point.
  • Options
    I wouldn't put anything in your D-41 other than a soundhole pickup. At least that wouldn't permanently alter the guitar. 

FWIW, the best recordings I've done with an acoustic guitar didn't involve onboard pickups or electronics at all. I prefer to mic acoustics and I really only use my guitars pickup/preamp at open mic nights and shows where I only play guitar on a couple songs. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    I wouldn't put anything in your D-41 other than a soundhole pickup. At least that wouldn't permanently alter the guitar. 

FWIW, the best recordings I've done with an acoustic guitar didn't involve onboard pickups or electronics at all. I prefer to mic acoustics and I really only use my guitars pickup/preamp at open mic nights and shows where I only play guitar on a couple songs. 
    Yep, I'm totally with you on that. I didn't even want to drill a hole into the D-41 for strap button lol. I've heard good things about LR Baggs soundhole pickups. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Never tried them but they look good to go. They make some magnetic pickup/mic combo deal that interested me but I've never played around with one. 

Fishman Neo-D and Seymour Duncan Woody HC are the two I've owned and I thought they were both good for what they are.