This is who is to blame for Trump

13»

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I wish the abortion issue would just disappear.  It seems that it is the main wedge issue that keeps the most people stuck in either corner.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the electoral college was never an issue for either side until this election. hillary lost because she sucked. she was smug and dismissive and called half the country names. that is the worst mistake anyone could make in politics. she single-handedly started a movement that won trump the election. trump won because people didn't want more of the same, so they took a risk. many of them liked a "straight shooter" that all the people my parents age complain is lacking in today's society; the "fuck this PC nonsense" folks. 

the republicans in congress who blocked every good thing obama tried to do did the trick; they fucked everyone, and were successful in convincing everyone it was obama's fault, and that hillary would be much of the same. "higher taxes to pay for programs for lazy people who just want handouts while the working man gets the shaft!". 

if russians altered voting tallies (which there's no evidence they did) that's a problem. if they made use of twitter to try to influence voters, who cares. people still made up their minds. 

you telling me the US doesn't influence foreign politics? but they claim their own are off limits? they're just mad because it's possible they got fooled. 

let's be honest: the republicans were just as shocked as everyone else was at trump's success in the primaries, but they outsmarted everyone when they took the nuclear football and ran with it. months later and the dems still don't know what happened, never mind how to regroup. 

I can't stand trump. but nothing the liberal base is doing is going to do him any harm. not unless they find some smoking gun. could happen. but other than that, they need to regroup and re-message and ignite their base. anything short of that and it's going to be a long 8 years. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Where does the article or I ever imply that people don't want to work? It sounds like people were laid off (not their choice) and instead of being hired back- goats were used in the name of cutting costs. 
    This article was preciously posted on AET in that paragon of reliability, WWWD. In any case the goats weren't "hired" to cut grass, they were brought in to clear areas that human gardeners won't or can't do. And the union filed a grievance; big shocker. 

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2017/07/06/goats-taking-jobs-union-workers/455237001/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    the electoral college was never an issue for either side until this election. hillary lost because she sucked. she was smug and dismissive and called half the country names. that is the worst mistake anyone could make in politics. she single-handedly started a movement that won trump the election. trump won because people didn't want more of the same, so they took a risk. many of them liked a "straight shooter" that all the people my parents age complain is lacking in today's society; the "fuck this PC nonsense" folks. 

the republicans in congress who blocked every good thing obama tried to do did the trick; they fucked everyone, and were successful in convincing everyone it was obama's fault, and that hillary would be much of the same. "higher taxes to pay for programs for lazy people who just want handouts while the working man gets the shaft!". 

if russians altered voting tallies (which there's no evidence they did) that's a problem. if they made use of twitter to try to influence voters, who cares. people still made up their minds. 

you telling me the US doesn't influence foreign politics? but they claim their own are off limits? they're just mad because it's possible they got fooled. 

let's be honest: the republicans were just as shocked as everyone else was at trump's success in the primaries, but they outsmarted everyone when they took the nuclear football and ran with it. months later and the dems still don't know what happened, never mind how to regroup. 

I can't stand trump. but nothing the liberal base is doing is going to do him any harm. not unless they find some smoking gun. could happen. but other than that, they need to regroup and re-message and ignite their base. anything short of that and it's going to be a long 8 years. 
    Very well said HFD, to quote you from the Stone solo tour thread, "we are soul mates, you and me."
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

I agree with most of that.  

It is time to "moveon" or you will just be getting him another term.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

I third this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

And, yes, hopefully this presidency will make people see the importance of caring about their choices and ability to vote. 

Lastly, I'm just delighted to see they are equal-opportunity goat owners, looks like good diversity of colors. Better to only have just AFSCME on their case than adding NAACP too! None of them speak English though, so hope they have their papers. I kid! 
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJinIL said:
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

And, yes, hopefully this presidency will make people see the importance of caring about their choices and ability to vote. 

Lastly, I'm just delighted to see they are equal-opportunity goat owners, looks like good diversity of colors. Better to only have just AFSCME on their case than adding NAACP too! None of them speak English though, so hope they have their papers. I kid! 
    Wrong.  This Presidency, and many previous, illustrate that the President has too much power.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    HFD said it well. I think that may be why he won the primary; a un-united GOP and the straight shooter attitude. Also benefited from a ridiculous number of candidates to start with and no one took him seriously until it was too late to stop. I think there's a good chance he wouldn't have taken the primary if he was just taken seriously.
    But he beat Hilary because Hilary is very unlikeable. We had 2 of the most unlikeable candidates in history face off. Many Trump votes were really just anti-Hilary votes, and same with Hilary. She deliberately tore half the country down and made it well known that she took pride in not uniting and working together. That is why the undecided overwhelmingly voted for Trump and cost her the election. 
    Hilary could have been running against a brick and the results would not be very different.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    mace1229 said:
    HFD said it well. I think that may be why he won the primary; a un-united GOP and the straight shooter attitude. Also benefited from a ridiculous number of candidates to start with and no one took him seriously until it was too late to stop. I think there's a good chance he wouldn't have taken the primary if he was just taken seriously.
    But he beat Hilary because Hilary is very unlikeable. We had 2 of the most unlikeable candidates in history face off. Many Trump votes were really just anti-Hilary votes, and same with Hilary. She deliberately tore half the country down and made it well known that she took pride in not uniting and working together. That is why the undecided overwhelmingly voted for Trump and cost her the election. 
    Hilary could have been running against a brick and the results would not be very different.
    The undecided voted for trump at the last minute because Comey reopened the case
    against Hillary. 
    mace1229 said:
    The undecided voted for trump at the last minute because Comey reopened the case
    against Hillary. 
    She still brought it on herself. Reopened because she refused to cooperate in an FBI investigation. The contents of the emails don't matter, had she cooperated like she was required to by law, instead of making jokes about the fact she didn't, it wouldn't have been reopened at the last minute like it was. She has only 1 person to blame for that.
    not to mention the Russian hacking probably wouldn't have happened as a result either. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    against Hillary. 
    She still brought it on herself. Reopened because she refused to cooperate in an FBI investigation. The contents of the emails don't matter, had she cooperated like she was required to by law, instead of making jokes about the fact she didn't, it wouldn't have been reopened at the last minute like it was. She has only 1 person to blame for that.
    not to mention the Russian hacking probably wouldn't have happened as a result either. 
    It's not Hillary's fault you were conned into voting for Trump. Wear that badge with pride.
    This thread isn't about my vote. It's about why so many voted for Trump to begin with, and the latest comment was blaming that fact on Comey. To which I responded anyone who wants to blame Comey should blame Hilary, she could have prevented the FBI investigation herself. So anyone who thinks that is what tipped the scales in Trump's favor, had Hilary handled things differently there would not have been an FBI investigation reopen to begin with.
    Thats the same logic as canceling car insurance, then blaming them when they don't pay for your stolen car.
    so if you think anyone was conned by Comey, Hilary allowed it to happen.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2017
    mace1229 said:
    This thread isn't about my vote. It's about why so many voted for Trump to begin with, and the latest comment was blaming that fact on Comey. To which I responded anyone who wants to blame Comey should blame Hilary, she could have prevented the FBI investigation herself. So anyone who thinks that is what tipped the scales in Trump's favor, had Hilary handled things differently there would not have been an FBI investigation reopen to begin with.
    Thats the same logic as canceling car insurance, then blaming them when they don't pay for your stolen car.
    so if you think anyone was conned by Comey, Hilary allowed it to happen.
    The only person or people who anyone can blame votes for Trump on are the voters who voted Trump. Do you realize how many of us knew that that would be a ridiculous, terrible mistake no matter what? Hillary has nothing to do with that. Voting for a wooden stick would have made more sense than voting for Trump.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I still think at the end of the day that it was the on the fence people that don't vote and the non voters are to blame.  If ya don't vote ya can't complain.  
    I still think at the end of the day that it was the on the fence people that don't vote and the non voters are to blame.  If ya don't vote ya can't complain.  
    Well, yeah, those who didn't vote and those who voted 3rd party at such a time as that are certainly to blame for Trump's win as well. I just meant that actual votes for Trump are only the fault of the voters, in response to the apparent assertion that somehow a vote for Trump could be blamed on someone other than the person who cast the ballot, which is, of course, silly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    I still think at the end of the day that it was the on the fence people that don't vote and the non voters are to blame.  If ya don't vote ya can't complain.  
    i agree with all of this except for the "if you don't vote you can't complain"part. check out youtube and look up george carlin talking about not voting. he makes a somewhat compelling case to not only not vote, but hold people accountable for their votes. if a group of people are responsible for negatively impacting all of us, they should be held to account kind of thing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ^^^
    I hear what you are saying.
    I'm  very aware of the George Carlin bit and his comedy (truth?) as I am a fan.  

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    PJfan?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    unsung said:
    PJinIL said:
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

Wrong.  This Presidency, and many previous, illustrate that the President has too much power.
    You can disagree, you can call me wrong, I guess. But it's a dick move, to be honest. Did  you type that in the Don's voice, too, lol. Wrong. You're wrong. Wrong. 

I didn't comment, nor did HFD say anything about how much power the pres should, or shouldn't have, so there's nothing to be wrong about. Even if I had, it's still an opinion, and cannot be wrong or right.

Whether guilty or innocent in business dealings, tax matters, election results, Trump's administration and term thus far has been a laughable show on a global scale. I'm not a fan of Hillary, either. She seems as crooked as Donald. He's made a fool of himself and those around him. This is the only reason I'm actually glad he won, it's exactly what I expected. A circus show.

Why is that good? Well, someone mentioned the non-voters. I was almost one of them. I think Trump has done nothing more than confirm what many American's think about the politicians and the process - disastrous. So, my comment was more about how awful the state of our political system is, and the spotlight on it may not be a bad thing because it just might ignite interest in the general population to be more aware of their choices, especially primaries. We don't function without politicians, but we can at least do a better job of rewarding excellence and keeping the shady characters away from positions of significant influence.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
    PJinIL said:
    unsung said:
    PJinIL said:
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

You can disagree, you can call me wrong, I guess. But it's a dick move, to be honest. Did  you type that in the Don's voice, too, lol. Wrong. You're wrong. Wrong. 

I didn't comment, nor did HFD say anything about how much power the pres should, or shouldn't have, so there's nothing to be wrong about. Even if I had, it's still an opinion, and cannot be wrong or right.

Whether guilty or innocent in business dealings, tax matters, election results, Trump's administration and term thus far has been a laughable show on a global scale. I'm not a fan of Hillary, either. She seems as crooked as Donald. He's made a fool of himself and those around him. This is the only reason I'm actually glad he won, it's exactly what I expected. A circus show.

Why is that good? Well, someone mentioned the non-voters. I was almost one of them. I think Trump has done nothing more than confirm what many American's think about the politicians and the process - disastrous. So, my comment was more about how awful the state of our political system is, and the spotlight on it may not be a bad thing because it just might ignite interest in the general population to be more aware of their choices, especially primaries. We don't function without politicians, but we can at least do a better job of rewarding excellence and keeping the shady characters away from positions of significant influence.
    That made me laugh. :lol:

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:
    PJinIL said:
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

somewhat disagree with you on this.  This presidency shows that the president doesn't have as much power as people think.  if it did just imagine the laws that would be enacted already.
    fife said:
    unsung said:
    PJinIL said:
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

somewhat disagree with you on this.  This presidency shows that the president doesn't have as much power as people think.  if it did just imagine the laws that would be enacted already.
    Yeah, but Unsung thought there shouldn't really be any government at all. He claimed to pretty much favour the idea of total anarchy/chaos over any kind of government regulation. A total free-for-all.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    unsung said:
    PJinIL said:
    brianlux said:

I third this.
    Fourth. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/quick-limit-the-power-that-trump-or-clinton-would-inherit/472743/

So, honestly, I opened this thread expecting to find Newt Gingrich's photo in the first post. I say that as a woman of a certain age, with small-l libertarian tendencies, who for years preferred the GOP to the Dems, read the National Review regularly, and chuckled at Dems' goofy ideas (but voted Libertarian). I'm now a registered Democrat, since that seems to be the party most grounded in reality. How times have changed. And I blame Newt Gingrich for a lot of that. Read about what he did to Congress and the legislative process.

But Conor Friedersdorf's essay is important; if only Congress had read it! For years, people were okay with executive overreach because they thought Bush or Obama was a decent, responsible, principled president. But it was short-sighted and foolish to assume that we woudl always have such leaders, and indeed, here we are.

We have laws for a reason. They need to apply to everyone, regardless of party or status or belief system. That's why it's important to fight for the Westboro Baptist Church's right to act like assholes in public, and that's why it's important to allow transgender persons to serve in the military along side their cisgender colleagues, regardless of whether or not you, personally, feel comfortable with that. And that's why, although I do believe that Barack Obama is a decent and principled person, an intelligent, reasonable leader, and a devoted husband and father, I was troubled by the continued expansion of executive powers during his administration. There was no guarantee that whoever came next would possess the character, discretion, and humility to use those powers wisely. And here we are.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Of the most populated US cities, which would you guess would commit Fed and State voter fraud?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:
    Of the most populated US cities, which would you guess would commit Fed and State voter fraud?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

NYC
    The New York City Board of Elections is admitting it broke state and federal law when it improperly removed voters from the rolls ahead of the presidential primary last spring
    http://www.wnyc.org/story/city-board-elections-admits-it-broke-law-accepts-reforms/