HOW GOOD IS ED VEDDER AS A FRONT MAN

dannydanny Posts: 2,269
FOR ME FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
danny d

Comments

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    yep
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Like no other. Stellar. Unparalleled. Magnetic. Force of nature. Perfect. Scrumtrulescent. 

I could go on. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    He's no Scott Stapp, but he works.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Seems like he started enjoying his job in 1998 and he's gotten progressively better since then. Though he talks too much sometimes imo.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    He's always been great at his job... then got transcendent at it or in it around '98.  He needs to talk a lot more though, that is always a highlight.   
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Being a front man is probably his best quality, that or lyric writing. He might not be the greatest song writer and he might not be able to hit all the high notes but I dare you to find more than a few people that are better at leading their band at a live show and controlling the crowd. 
  • Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    I think he's the best. Yeah yeah. I'm on a pj board.  The way he connects to the audience is like no other. Personally I love when Ed talks. 

I went to philly 1 last year with a couple friends, one had never seen them live. Or knew much about them.  Left saying(and for weeks after)  I think Eddie is the coolest person out there......    
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    He's ok
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    He is a gifted frontman and one of the best at connecting with the audience.   So many shows I go to and the singer when talking to the crowd is very awkward.  Ed really connects and I have always been impressed how much he talks at shows yet rarely tells the same story or says the same thing show to show.  He may speak on topics regularly but says it in different ways.
  • He is good.  But since Pearl Jam is in the no - album and all out other music stage I think that Stone should take over as the frontman and singer.  A lot of fans would love this. Not me though.  

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PP193448 said:

www.cluthelee.com
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think the question is, "who is a better front man than Eddie Vedder".
    And the answer is...
    Nobody.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    I very like the way he seems to care about (and probably understand) fans...If some of you have ever seen Billy Corgan, you know the difference.
    Nevertheless my favorite front man is definitely Paul Dempsey from Something for Kate.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    Meh
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    He's pretty good.. lol.   Obviously we all like his voice and his music, but he also seems super charismatic which has the audience listening to every word he has to say....

edited July 2017
    You know how often at outdoor PJ shows there is black mesh netting on the stage structure so you can't always see what's happening on the side of the stage? In '95 I watched a PJ  show from sidestage and had just moved way to the edge, just inside the net so looking over the edge of the end of the stage,  when the song went into an instrumental part. Focus was supposed to be on rest of the band center stage, but as Ed danced over to the side all eyes were on him. He stopped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME but on the outside, edge of the stage, and for a few moments I was right behind him looking over his shoulder into the crowd, seeing what he sees but invisible myself. I saw thousands of faces upturned with so much affection, so much joy, so much urgency. It was freaking intense!  Overwhelming, actually.

In that moment the respect I already had for him skyrocketed, because I thought "If you can get that much attention, that much devotion and focus, night after night for YEARS, and still stay even mildly humble, much less actually notice and watch out for your fans, you're superhuman."  I understood in that moment how addictive and ego-exploding that kind of attention probably is for most musicians.  Even if he's had a few moments of preciousness, they've been few and far between and for the majority of the time he's truly extraordinary for having stayed as down to earth as he has.

He's an extraordinary frontman, and it was incredible to catch even a tiny slice of his view of us fans, and the energy we generate and give back to the band, in that moment. We're a lucky fanbase, the entire band is f'ing extraordinary. 
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • JH6056 said:
    You know how often at outdoor PJ shows there is black mesh netting on the stage structure so you can't always see what's happening on the side of the stage? In '95 I watched a PJ  show from sidestage and had just moved way to the edge, just inside the net so looking over the edge of the end of the stage,  when the song went into an instrumental part. Focus was supposed to be on rest of the band center stage, but as Ed danced over to the side all eyes were on him. He stopped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME but on the outside, edge of the stage, and for a few moments I was right behind him looking into the crowd, seeing what he sees right to the side of him but invisible. I saw thousands of faces upturned with so much affection, so much joy, so much urgency. It was freaking intense!  Overwhelming, actually.

In that moment the respect I already had for him skyrocketed, because I thought "If you can get that much attention, that much devotion and focus, night after night for YEARS, and still stay even mildly humble, much less actually notice and watch out for your fans, you're superhuman."  I understood in that moment how addictive and ego-exploding that kind of attention probably is for most musicians.  Even if he's had a few moments of preciousness, overall he's truly extraordinary for having stayed as down to earth as he has.

He's an extraordinary frontman, and it was incredible to catch even a tiny slice of his view of us fans, and the energy we generate and give back to the band, in that moment. We're a lucky fanbase, the entire band is f'ing extraordinary. 
    Fascinating perspective! Thanks for sharing!!
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
    You are very very welcome.  :)

It's something I've wanted to share for ages but it always felt weird to write about.  Glad this bigger question was asked, it finally made sense to tell that story.  I'll never forget that perspective.
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    He would be so much cooler if he'd answer the phone when i call. Bahahaha. Truth. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I never saw him as a front man any more than I have with Maynard in his various musical forages.  The bandmates are all front men in my eyes.  Or all side-by-side men?  (or women, as the case may be)

Instruments, I suppose.  Each of them.

Good is subjective; for me, I appreciate the purity of voice and effort and character.  Many others I'd place in that camp as well, both gone of this world and those still among us.

Anyway, I fucking love the voice of Vedder.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    He is very very good. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Very good....a little talky but that only annoys me because I usually can't understand what he's saying.  Not his fault....just can't hear well due to crowd noise, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    The worst I've ever seen.  Terrible voice, sucks at playing guitar, dumb moves, no stage presence, unfriendly toward the audience, stupid songs.

I am a total liar.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The best of my generation. Longevity will do that. Re-watching all those old TV performances from that awesome BluRay project reminds me of why I became so enthralled with Pearl Jam. The music alone was amazing, but then to watch Ed convey it live was so captivating. Someone else said it earlier, but his performance just demands your attention. The little movements and the deep thought or slight sneer as he sang the lyrics. So much passion and emotion behind it all.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    rgambs said:
    I think the question is, "who is a better front man than Eddie Vedder".
    And the answer is...
    Nobody.
    Good question. Who would even be in the running? Bruce maybe? What do you guys think?
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    I think Robert Plant, Roget Daltrey, Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Him, better front man than Eddie? I don't really feel like there is necessarily a better one, but I can think of a few who I think are just as good. Gord Downie from the Tragically Hip is one of them... Gord is significantly weirder than Eddie up there, so very different, but certainly just as engaging. I also think that Glen Hansard is just as good as far as engagement and having that awesome presence and personality goes, and he's an amazing storyteller up there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2017
    RS65573 said:

Ray Davies of the Kinks, David Lee Roth when he was with early Van Halen, Freddie Mercury. I have been lucky to see these seven + Ed solo and with P.J. 
    Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    ryph raph said:
    RS65573 said:

Ray Davies of the Kinks, David Lee Roth when he was with early Van Halen, Freddie Mercury.  
    I just mean these guys are in the running...yes Davies, yes Mercury....wash your mouth out for Roth. ;)