Facepalm Of The Day

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

After recent political events that makes me wonder what are some thinking.....post your Facepalm of the Day here any time of the day.

A Texas teen died Sunday morning while using her cellphone in a bathtub, according to reports.
Relatives told KCBD that the accident was caused either when she plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbed the phone as it was being charged.
http://nypost.com/20...-taking-a-bath/
facepalm 

Facepalm of the day: Fox News hosts feel Amazonian superhero Wonder Woman is not American enough

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/movie-news/facepalm-of-the-day-fox-news-hosts-feel-amazonian-superhero-wonder-woman-is-not-american-enough-35789730.html

As the filmmakers and stars of Wonder Woman celebrate the movie breaking box office records, other are not quite so enamoured by DC's latest superhero offering.

The titular Wonder Woman is an Amazonian superhero, played by Israeli actress Gal Gadot, yet Fox News hosts and guest feel she's not American enough.

Someone might need to buy them an atlas.

EW reports that guest Dion Baia on Your World with Neil Cavuto said, "I think nowadays, sadly, money trumps patriotism.  Especially recently, I personally feel like we're not realy very patriotic, the country, in a certain sense.  They want these movies to succeed internationally, so they're going to dial back."

The fictional character's costume came under fire for being red, blue, and gold, instead of red, white and blue.

"I think the Hollywood aspect, we see this time and time again, it’s cool to hate America these days,” said Mike Gunzelman who then advised viewers to "just go see Baywatch".

I'm hearing this movie is very good I might want to check it out at some point.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Should be an interesting thread, g!  A little Darwin Award, a little Jackass the Movie, a little "What We're They Thinking" and probably a lot of humor!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    k9 cop and the other guy

• JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

There's so much we don't know about this event before crucifying the cop.

Firstly, the cop is wrestling with the dog to get him off the detained- he is not sitting back and watching.
    Secondly, the guy on the ground likely did something that set in motion the events which led to the encounter with the police.

What I would say is that the dog needs some better training. In the event it does not respond to the officer in the future... then it should be put down. One of those dogs- an ex RCMP K9- attacked my son for mo good reason. It did the same thing that mutt did: it grabbed him by the arm and did not let go. It actually shook him so hard his shoe flew off his foot, out of my doorway, over the driveway and on to the street.

We found out later it had bit a pregnant woman beforehand. The dog was apparently put down, but there's a question mark surrounding that (rumour has it that it was given to a local farmer).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited July 2017
    Definitely a case of incopetence.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    brianlux said:
    Definitely a case of incopetence.
    lol...nice! reminds me of my grammy trying to get her slipper back from her chihuahua
    We've been practicing this sort of thing for several decades.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I mean, really? Hope that racist last minute cancellation was worth the $5,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/13/airbnb-california-racist-comment-penalty-asian-american
    It's a hopeless situation...
    brianlux said:

The first photo you posted above didn't quite occur as it's been depicted and remembered. Not that there wasn't actual scenarios like this that did occur, but it's interesting to hear the real story behind a picture that became a symbol of the civil rights movement.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/07/more_than_confederate_statues.html
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I've  been to St. Marten and doing this has never crossed my mind.....

New Zealand woman dies after jet blast at world's 'scariest' airport
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I've  been to St. Marten and doing this has never crossed my mind.....

New Zealand woman dies after jet blast at world's 'scariest' airport
    I've been....and I was tempted.  But never made it.  I think my healthy fear kept me away. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

Firstly, the cop is wrestling with the dog to get him off the detained- he is not sitting back and watching.
    Secondly, the guy on the ground likely did something that set in motion the events which led to the encounter with the police.

What I would say is that the dog needs some better training. In the event it does not respond to the officer in the future... then it should be put down. One of those dogs- an ex RCMP K9- attacked my son for mo good reason. It did the same thing that mutt did: it grabbed him by the arm and did not let go. It actually shook him so hard his shoe flew off his foot, out of my doorway, over the driveway and on to the street.

We found out later it had bit a pregnant woman beforehand. The dog was apparently put down, but there's a question mark surrounding that (rumour has it that it was given to a local farmer).
    "There's so much we don't know". LOL.  So, you mean, "don't believe your eyes". 
    The problem is that there is no legitimate reason for police dogs to exist at all.
    A dangerous weapon over which you have zero control, deployed in public where it will often injure innocent bystanders.
    Then, of course, when more officers arrive they jump on his already motionless legs instead of helping to control the snarling beast that is attacking a cuffed man lying motionless on his face.
    The guy who filmed this is awesome, trolling those Dredds like a boss.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

The problem is that there is no legitimate reason for police dogs to exist at all.
    A dangerous weapon over which you have zero control, deployed in public where it will often injure innocent bystanders.
    Then, of course, when more officers arrive they jump on his already motionless legs instead of helping to control the snarling beast that is attacking a cuffed man lying motionless on his face.
    Do you always take a video or picture for what it's worth at face value without context? Maybe you should read my post above and listen to Gladwell's podcast.
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

How is that relevant?
    Contrary to your desire, police officers are not judge, jury, and executioners.
    Judgement and punishment are the duties of courts in a civilised society, and though we did elect Trump, we at least still have a semblance of civilisation.
    I'm not ok with living in a society where police can turn deadly animals loose on civilians, particularly civilians who are already apprehended and pose no threats to anything.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

How is that relevant?
    Judgement and punishment are the duties of courts in a civilised society, and though we did elect Trump, we at least still have a semblance of civilisation.
    I'm not ok with living in a society where police can turn deadly animals loose on civilians, particularly civilians who are already apprehended and pose no threats to anything.

Well...when it comes to determining the force required in a situation to get/maintain control, the police are the judge, jury, and executioners.   Well they are the judge and executioners....and then if it's potentially bad a real jury comes into play.
    hippiemom = goodness
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

How is that relevant?

Well...when it comes to determining the force required in a situation to get/maintain control, the police are the judge, jury, and executioners.   Well they are the judge and executioners....and then if it's potentially bad a real jury comes into play.
    And we, as a society, should have the authority to be the jury to their judgements.  We do not have that opportunity right now, police oversight is minimal, at best.
    When a half-naked man is handcuffed, unarmed, and facedown on the pavement and a police officer viciously mauls him, society should have an apparatus with which to say, "hold up, that's​ fucking bullshit, we won't accept this behaviour".

• rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

The only one having trouble with his eyes is you right now, RG. This just got proven in the other thread and your eagerness to vilify every cop regardless of circumstance has you looking the fool again.

The cop is relentless with his efforts to ge tthe dog off the guy. Yes, the other cops on the scene arrived and busied themselves with the suspect, but he was not motionless and he was detained for something which might have made him dangerous in the officers' eyes. Do you know what he did? I don't.

We can debate whether or not dogs are necessary for police work, but we cannot suggest that 'Dredd' was basking in the moment and cheering his dog on as he takes down another innocent and defenceless citizen like you seem to want ro suggest.
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

The only one having trouble with his eyes is you right now, RG. This just got proven in the other thread and your eagerness to vilify every cop regardless of circumstance has you looking the fool again.

The cop is relentless with his efforts to ge tthe dog off the guy. Yes, the other cops on the scene arrived and busied themselves with the suspect, but he was not motionless and he was detained for something which might have made him dangerous in the officers' eyes. Do you know what he did? I don't.

We can debate whether or not dogs are necessary for police work, but we cannot suggest that 'Dredd' was basking in the moment and cheering his dog on as he takes down another innocent and defenceless citizen like you seem to want ro suggest.
    The officer with the dog was trying like hell to get him off, I don't deny that and didn't imply otherwise.  The other officers went for his legs which were not moving in any purposeful way.

Again, it doesn't matter what he did, he was obviously handcuffed, facedown, unarmed, and not resisting.  There is no reasonable, credible reason to consider him a threat.
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

The officer with the dog was trying like hell to get him off, I don't deny that and didn't imply otherwise.  The other officers went for his legs which were not moving in any purposeful way.

Again, it doesn't matter what he did, he was obviously handcuffed, facedown, unarmed, and not resisting.  There is no reasonable, credible reason to consider him a threat.
    Maybe by entering the fray and grabbing ahold of the suspect, the dog might better understand that the suspect is under control and it releases its bite? This is just off the top of my head, but perhaps it is a credible reason why the additional officer got involved? I'm pretty sure that any police procedure does not include leaving a suspect unattended on the ground while cuffed (we just had a young woman escape from custody while cuffed in our area a week ago). So, after the dog handler gets his mutt under control... there is a moment where that guy is unattended to. How long did they chase him for? What did he do? Would it be wise to leave him there while standing to the side and risk losing him- no matter how big the chances of doing so might be- again? That was just off the top of my head too.

I bet there's some other reasons as well, but I'm not a cop sooo... yah... it seems like there might be some reasonable, credible reasons to consider him at least a mild threat.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

Maybe by entering the fray and grabbing ahold of the suspect, the dog might better understand that the suspect is under control and it releases its bite? This is just off the top of my head, but perhaps it is a credible reason why the additional officer got involved? I'm pretty sure that any police procedure does not include leaving a suspect unattended on the ground while cuffed (we just had a young woman escape from custody while cuffed in our area a week ago). So, after the dog handler gets his mutt under control... there is a moment where that guy is unattended to. How long did they chase him for? What did he do? Would it be wise to leave him there while standing to the side and risk losing him- no matter how big the chances of doing so might be- again? That was just off the top of my head too.

I bet there's some other reasons as well, but I'm not a cop sooo... yah... it seems like there might be some reasonable, credible reasons to consider him at least a mild threat.
    That is all a bit of a reach.  None of that, even if true by a slim margin, is excuse to use that level of force.
    The jumping on the legs isn't such a big deal, it's just one more little detail that makes the whole picture look bad.
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

That is all a bit of a reach.  None of that, even if true by a slim margin, is excuse to use that level of force.
    The jumping on the legs isn't such a big deal, it's just one more little detail that makes the whole picture look bad.
    But if the guy had gotten to his feet, kicked the other officer in the balls and ran off once the dog was secured... the cops would be in the 'Idiot Thread'.

It is unlikely, but possible. I just stated a young woman escaped custody in our area while in cuffs. Police should eliminate any possibility of escape if custody is what they pursue. Come on, man. 
    Yes, police should eliminate escape with an appropriate level of force.
    The dog was a not appropriate, the 2 officers on the legs is somewhat questionable, but not a big deal.  Just a minor complaint.
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    JC29856 said:
    k9 cop and the other guy

Do you always take a video or picture for what it's worth at face value without context? Maybe you should read my post above and listen to Gladwell's podcast.
    Do you use the same level of scrutiny for police statements?

The context of what happened before the video begins isn't really relevant to the question of whether the force was warranted.
    When a threat is contained, any further aggression toward the former threat falls into punishment territory, which is beyond the scope of policing.
    The threat was contained, the use of force was unnecessary.

It very well looks like the dog could have broken free as opposed to being set loose.  That is context that will be important in determining the punitive reaction, but it isn't context that is important to whether or not excessive force was applied.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    The use of force was unnecessary.....ummmm. I didn't see any officers "jump" on any legs. And this is an assumption that the dog was used for a purpose and that makes fleeing obvious and I again assume the officers made the proper decision to maintain custody by quietly sitting next to the perp.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited July 2017
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

The first photo you posted above didn't quite occur as it's been depicted and remembered. Not that there wasn't actual scenarios like this that did occur, but it's interesting to hear the real story behind a picture that became a symbol of the civil rights movement.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/07/more_than_confederate_statues.htmlyes,
    Yes, interesting story!  And of course you're right, there are many incidents that really did occur, many more than were photographed!

Prediction:  lengthy, on-going arguments in this thread over a single incident will eventually earn a...

FoxyRedLa said:
    The use of force was unnecessary.....ummmm. I didn't see any officers "jump" on any legs. And this is an assumption that the dog was used for a purpose and that makes fleeing obvious and I again assume the officers made the proper decision to maintain custody by quietly sitting next to the perp.
    No, they didn't literally jump on his legs.
    I don't understand what you are trying to say following that.

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I didn't see any excess force in that clip.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    Prediction:  lengthy, on-going arguments in this thread over a single incident will eventually earn a...

What's  to argue about?
    The cop did it
    D'uh! :dizzy:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I didn't see any excess force in that clip.
    You didn't see a dog mauling a man who was handcuffed and lying face down? 
    What video did you watch?

In what universe is that not excessive​ force?
    America the free I guess.

Shit, why not just turn the dog loose on him in the cruiser!  Confined space, handcuffed criminal...innocent until declared deceased, right?