The Worst Movie Ever?

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Fight Club.

Let's be fuckin real. You're not a 15 year old alpha male anymore. Fight Club was never as god damn epic as you made it out to be.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Fight Club.

Let's be fuckin real. You're not a 15 year old alpha male anymore. Fight Club was never as god damn epic as you made it out to be.
    I never liked it. Or any film by David Fincher, for that matter. 

To be fair, I want to like Zodiac. At least there's no gimmick to it, and I recognize Fincher's talent. It's just too damn obvious for my taste, though. No subtlety or nuance whatsoever. Kind of Oliver Stone-y.

Christopher Nolan is another one I don't really like. Also gimmicky, and unoriginal with his gimmicks. The backward Seinfeld  episode did it first and much better. Unlike Fincher, I do still give his films a chance. They still look great despite their lame attempts at being cerebral. The only Nolan film I've actually enjoyed so far was the Batman one with Hardy as Bane. I missed Interstellar, but I hear that one is good. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    hedonist said:
    The only musical I've ever liked is Cabaret.  Almost all of the songs are performed onstage, so they fit the context of the story.
    No Tommy or Quadrophenia?
    ;)
    "It's not a musical, it's a fucking o-per-a!"  (said in Keith Moon's voice)

I guess it depends on the definitions but I never think of those as musicals.  I love both albums but I didn't much like the Tommy movie.  A few scenes--Roger running on the beach singing I'm Free, the Sally Simpson segment--but that's about all.  It definitely hasn't held up well.  I like the Quad movie all right but it still doesn't seem like a musical.  Nobody breaks into song.  The music is used as the soundtrack.

I don't care about seeing either story enacted.  I've seen the band perform both live and I think that's the way they should be experienced.  The Quad tour a few years ago blew me away.  I don't think we'll ever get to see that again.

And yeah, your post reminded me that I liked Jesus Christ Superstar.

Otherwise, NO MUSICALS!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

hedonist said:
    The only musical I've ever liked is Cabaret.  Almost all of the songs are performed onstage, so they fit the context of the story.
    No Tommy or Quadrophenia?
    ;)
    I've been a fan of The Who since earliest memory, and I think Tommy is a hot mess. My parents took me with them to see it when it was released -- I was, what, five years old?!? -- and it was not a pleasant experience.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

To be fair, I want to like Zodiac. At least there's no gimmick to it, and I recognize Fincher's talent. It's just too damn obvious for my taste, though. No subtlety or nuance whatsoever. Kind of Oliver Stone-y.

Christopher Nolan is another one I don't really like. Also gimmicky, and unoriginal with his gimmicks. The backward Seinfeld  episode did it first and much better. Unlike Fincher, I do still give his films a chance. They still look great despite their lame attempts at being cerebral. The only Nolan film I've actually enjoyed so far was the Batman one with Hardy as Bane. I missed Interstellar, but I hear that one is good. 

I like most of Fincher's work and loved Fight Club, but must admit to not having watched it in over 10 years, so not sure what I'd think now, but still think I would enjoy it - certainly wouldn't dislike it. I LOVED The Game and Se7en is a favourite of mine.

As for Nolan, I think he is a genius! Memento, Inception and Interstellar are all time great movies and his Batman Trillogy are the best Super hero movies by a long way for me - all of coarse in my opinion. Can't wait to see Dunkirk

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

Oh man, you just named two of my favorite directors. I still haven't seen Fight Club, but I always loved the cinematography of a Fincher film. He uses the dark tones so well. Seven is one of my absolute favorites and Nolan's work on Batman was awesome. I loved Momento and got hooked on his films after that. Interstellar is fantastic. What I like about both of them is how you can rewatch their movies and pick up on things you didn't notice no matter how many times you've seen it. That's what I like about Tarantino as well.

Not to mention Fincher teamed up with two of my favorite artists, NIN and A Perfect Circle, to direct a couple videos and did a lot of great videos for several artists. How can you not like Fincher a little? The Social Network and Benjamin Buttons were great movies. Oh, and then there's The Game and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    No Coder said:
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

I like most of Fincher's work and loved Fight Club, but must admit to not having watched it in over 10 years, so not sure what I'd think now, but still think I would enjoy it - certainly wouldn't dislike it. I LOVED The Game and Se7en is a favourite of mine.

As for Nolan, I think he is a genius! Memento, Inception and Interstellar are all time great movies and his Batman Trillogy are the best Super hero movies by a long way for me - all of coarse in my opinion. Can't wait to see Dunkirk

Agreed. Momento was amazing and something no one had done. I remember seeing it in an art house theater and being blown away. Then there was Inception. Nolan just rewrites the rules and isn't rehashing old scripts and ideas.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    That turd of a movie Signs needs a mercy flush. Oh, and Lady in the Water is a real stinker, too. *flush* Shyamalan lost his mojo after Unbreakable.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    MayDay10 said:
    Dreamcatcher.  Great cast, promising prologue.  Aaaaand then it all goes to holy fuckin shit.

Darkman for a close 2nd, then Waterworld.
    :lol:
    I meant to post before that I could guarantee that someone would name some movies I really like.  (Why these threads are fun.)
    I liked all three of those movies.  Not my favorites but ones I like for many different reasons.
    ha, I love Darkman.  I don't hate Waterworld either.  A couple parts were poorly thought out, and got a bad rap due to the budget and hype, but overall, very good (to me).

I don't hate Waterworld either, but it's one of those movies I never want to watch again. Funny story...One of my friend's older sister was on vacation in Martha's Vineyard (I think) in 96 and they were in a coffee shop in line and Kevin Costner was behind them. They said hello and he  was very cordial and more than happy to chat with them. When they got to the cashier, she said she was paying for him. He smiled and said she didn't have to do that and she responded "It's ok. It's my pleasure, plus, after Waterworld, just wanted to do something nice for you" He laughed and thanked them lol
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Hobbes said:
    That turd of a movie Signs needs a mercy flush. Oh, and Lady in the Water is a real stinker, too. *flush* Shyamalan lost his mojo after Unbreakable.
    Yea, Split was kind of a waste of time.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Hobbes said:
    Yea, Split was kind of a waste of time.
    Another gimmicky director. He never had any mojo, imo.

That being said, I will admit that The Visit is something of a guilty pleasure.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    tbergs said:
    No Coder said:
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

Agreed. Momento was amazing and something no one had done. I remember seeing it in an art house theater and being blown away. Then there was Inception. Nolan just rewrites the rules and isn't rehashing old scripts and ideas.
    Watching a Fincher film to me is like being hit across the face with a brick.

As for Memento, again, nothing original about it--Seinfeld did it first. And better. I will give Nolan credit for something, though: By sucking all the joy out of Batman and making those films bubblegum-pop thinkpieces for mindless millennials, the whiff of something posing as cerebral somehow got chicks to show up at the cinema for a comic book movie. That in itself was a huge win for nerds everywhere. I can't say the same for Burton's more whimsical Batman flicks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited July 2017
    I think Shyamalan gets a bad rap because the twists at the end of Unbreakable and the Dead People movie (forgot the name)...
    So everyone watches these movies and waits to have their socks blown off, expecting a huge twist and guessing the whole time and walking away disappointed (expecting a twist makes said twist meh).  

Anyways...  I really liked The Village.  The problem that had is in order for it to "work", they had to market it as a horror movie.  People watched it expecting to be frightened, were disappointed and angry.  The movie itself, without labels is good.

Signs is a really well done movie.  I love the way it is shot and the acting was awesome.  The aliens' weakness was a bit lame I guess, but also necessary for the movie to work.  Signs IMO is his strongest film followed by The Village  

The Visit was pretty good, as was The Happening.  I dont think Devil was as bad as people make it out to be.  Lady in the Water too.  Unique, and also some humor in there, when that Asian woman had to keep explaining the mythology to Giamotti (who is one of the most underrated actors)

Overall, I think people follow the herd and pile on Shyamalan.  His movies arent wonderful.... but they are different and deal with 'atmosphere' in a great way.  In an industry that props itself up with remake after sequel after superhero movie after "reboots", we can use more like him.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:
    I think Shyamalan gets a bad rap because the twists at the end of Unbreakable and the Dead People movie (forgot the name)...
    So everyone watches these movies and waits to have their socks blown off, expecting a huge twist and guessing the whole time and walking away disappointed (expecting a twist makes said twist meh).  

Anyways...  I really liked The Village.  The problem that had is in order for it to "work", they had to market it as a horror movie.  People watched it expecting to be frightened, were disappointed and angry.  The movie itself, without labels is good.

Signs is a really well done movie.  I love the way it is shot and the acting was awesome.  The aliens' weakness was a bit lame I guess, but also necessary for the movie to work.  Signs IMO is his strongest film followed by The Village  

The Visit was pretty good, as was The Happening.  I dont think Devil was as bad as people make it out to be.  Lady in the Water too.  Unique, and also some humor in there, when that Asian woman had to keep explaining the mythology to Giamotti (who is one of the most underrated actors)

Overall, I think people follow the herd and pile on Shyamalan.  His movies arent wonderful.... but they are different and deal with 'atmosphere' in a great way.  In an industry that props itself up with remake after sequel after superhero movie after "reboots", we can use more like him.
    I liked the TV show he did a couple years ago with Matt Dillon.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Howard the Duck.
    I've never understood how anyone could've been surprised at the end of The Sixth Sense.
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    No Coder said:
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

As for Memento, again, nothing original about it--Seinfeld did it first. And better. I will give Nolan credit for something, though: By sucking all the joy out of Batman and making those films bubblegum-pop thinkpieces for mindless millennials, the whiff of something posing as cerebral somehow got chicks to show up at the cinema for a comic book movie. That in itself was a huge win for nerds everywhere. I can't say the same for Burton's more whimsical Batman flicks.
    Well, I'm not a millennial, but I liked the more serious take on Batman. I think parts of the original movie are a bit cheesy and I prefer Burton's darker take in Batman Returns. So you really think Nolan's Batman got chicks to show up at the cinema? Never saw any of those films appealing to millennials and chicks. Seemed like the opposite of anything Nolan directs.

As for Memento, why does it matter so much that Seinfeld did it "first"? It's not even comparable. A comedy show in a 22 minute segment and a 2 hour movie production. Also, if we're splitting hairs, Nolan's brother actually pitched the plot and wrote the original script in '96, well before the Seinfeld episode aired. It just takes longer with movies. And honestly the budget wasn't that much different! 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I enjoyed Memento. I didn't ever consider it similar to the Seinfeld episode. 

I LOVED the new Batman movies. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah, I was one of the nerds in line for the midnight Batman showings, and about half of those waiting with me each time were women, many of them not accompanying some nerd SO. They were there of their own free will to watch a comic book movie. (Wish I could say the same for my poor wife. Although she never complains if Thor is in the picture. :lol: )

Anyway, bravo, Mr. Nolan!

I guess my thing with Nolan is that the tone of his films always hint at some sort of deep-rooted darkness that never really materializes. All the scripts are fairly formulaic. The tone set by the imagery, music, set pieces, lighting, wooden performances is selling me something Kubrickian, but what I'm really getting is watered-down Spielberg.

And I can't stand most of Spielberg. He gets a pass for the Jaws, Raiders, E.T., and Munich, though. And I think that Nolan has it in him to outdo all of those films. I'll keep watching.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    No Coder said:
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

Well, I'm not a millennial, but I liked the more serious take on Batman. I think parts of the original movie are a bit cheesy and I prefer Burton's darker take in Batman Returns. So you really think Nolan's Batman got chicks to show up at the cinema? Never saw any of those films appealing to millennials and chicks. Seemed like the opposite of anything Nolan directs.

As for Memento, why does it matter so much that Seinfeld did it "first"? It's not even comparable. A comedy show in a 22 minute segment and a 2 hour movie production. Also, if we're splitting hairs, Nolan's brother actually pitched the plot and wrote the original script in '96, well before the Seinfeld episode aired. It just takes longer with movies. And honestly the budget wasn't that much different! 

Memento and that Seinfeld episode were inspired by a play titled "betrayal", later made into a movie in 1983
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 said:
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    No Coder said:
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

Memento and that Seinfeld episode were inspired by a play titled "betrayal", later made into a movie in 1983
    Exactly! Love Pinter. I saw the Broadway production with Daniel Craig a few years back. 

Not the best Pinter production I've seen -- that honor goes to the Stewart/McKellan No Man's Land -- but pretty damn good. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2017
    I think Tree of Life SUCKED. I absolutely hated it. A movie has never been so pointlessly pretentious, and few film characters have been as unlikable as that stupid asshole son of theirs. The only good part in the movie was when he died, lol.

However, I'm not sure most people here are taking the word "worst" seriously enough, lol. You don't get into the worst movie ever realm until you're talking about shit that is even worse than the likes of Sharknado or something. My vote is for either Left Behind: World at War (that's the third of the Left Behind Trilogy, those religious propaganda films starring Kirk Cameron... oddly, the first one was remade with Nicholas Cage recently, lol, That also sucked, but not as much), or for Cannibal Holocaust (1980), and that is solely because there is real life animal torture in it - they did not fake any of that. The animals were really mutilated and killed on film. So that alone makes it a very easy contender for worst movie ever IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    dankind said:
    Yeah, I was one of the nerds in line for the midnight Batman showings, and about half of those waiting with me each time were women, many of them not accompanying some nerd SO. They were there of their own free will to watch a comic book movie. (Wish I could say the same for my poor wife. Although she never complains if Thor is in the picture. :lol: )
    Clearly, your wife is an intelligent person.  :grin:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    No Coder said:
    dankind said:
    Fight Club.

I'd never seen anything like Memento when I first saw it on release and thought the acting was brilliant. I love Seinfeld, but never saw a link between the 2 due to their differences in delivery. But I didn't think about it too much either

I love the dark tones in his movies and can't think of a movie he has done that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. What he did with the Batman movies, was perfect for me, because I have trouble enjoying most of the super hero movies due to their lack of story line and reliance on wrecking cities.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    dankind said:
    . (Wish I could say the same for my poor wife. Although she never complains if Thor is in the picture. :lol: )

My wife has the same attitude about Thor. She was bummed when I pointed out his haircut at the end of the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    I've never understood how anyone could've been surprised at the end of The Sixth Sense.
    I was.  I get entrenched in a movie.  I don't look for metaphors, I don't look for symbolism.  I just enjoy it...

That being said I hated the new Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.  What a steamy pile that was.  I tried to like it and couldn't...
    I was.  I get entrenched in a movie.  I don't look for metaphors, I don't look for symbolism.  I just enjoy it...

That being said I hated the new Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.  What a steamy pile that was.  I tried to like it and couldn't...
    I just thought it was pretty obvious from the opening scene.  I actually didn't catch much of the symbolism until I watched the extras & commentary on the DVD. That made me appreciate the film a bit more.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2017

I just thought it was pretty obvious from the opening scene.  I actually didn't catch much of the symbolism until I watched the extras & commentary on the DVD. That made me appreciate the film a bit more.
    I am usually able to totally stay in the moment with a movie. Where it may or may not go or how it will end literally never crosses my mind one way or the other when I'm watching a good film (I will start thinking about it if it's a bad film because I'm bored or appalled enough for my mind to wander). So when I watched the Sixth Sense my brain didn't even question what may have been obvious - I just watched it moment to moment, so watching it that way I never predicted the ending. I have found, though, that I'm in a very small minority there. Most people I've known don't watch movies quite that way, and they tend to predict what is going to happen next or whatever. I just don't go there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I am usually able to totally stay in the moment with a movie. Where it may or may not go or how it will end literally never crosses my mind one way or the other when I'm watching a good film (I will start thinking about it if it's a bad film because I'm bored or appalled enough for my mind to wander). So when I watched the Sixth Sense my brain didn't even question what may have been obvious - I just watched it moment to moment, so watching it that way I never predicted the ending. I have found, though, that I'm in a very small minority there. Most people I've known don't watch movies quite that way, and they tend to predict what is going to happen next or whatever. I just don't go there.
    Yeah, I mean, it wasn't so much that I watch things to predict the ending, it's just that I knew he was a ghost all along and when the ending came I was like "Wait, that's the surprise? Well, duh, he died in the opening scene." I just kept hearing about the big surprise and I was expecting something other than what was blatantly obvious from the start. I guess I just don't understand how everyone didn't catch that.