***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Spoony C said:
    Very good show Sunday night in Foxboro.
    I thought all the songs on Joshua Tree sounded great.
    My complaints were "Miss Sarejevo" and ending with "The Little Things that you give away".
    Both of these sounded really out of place.
    Really to end a show with a song that no one knows seems pretty dumb to me.

I've seen the show twice (Dallas and Louisville), and I found "Miss Sarajevo" moving, if an oddly placed back-to-back downer with "Mothers of the Disappeared," but neither of my shows had "The Little Things..." at all, much less as closer. Dallas ended with "I Will Follow" (I think for the first time all tour) and Louisville ended with "Vertigo" (which had been added a couple of shows earlier. I overall liked the Louisville show better, but I thought "I Will Follow" was a better finale song, energy and crowd-pumping-up-wise.
    I'm still chasing "40" as a closer.  I always miss that song by one show.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488

The show last night was incredible. Nothing really needs to be said about the screen that hasn't been. It's that amazing

We went in about 630 and walked right through basically ending up 15 feet from the b stage dead center of the main stage. Still can't believe that happened.

The whole show was incredible. Visuals were nuts. Have to say though and it's directly influenced by the spot I had but the 4 songs to start were just ridiculous. Not sure how it played to the rest of the house. But just the band on a small stage felt like it way a club show. 

Highlights: 

New Year's Day

Streets (one of the best live songs ever)

BTBS

Exit with the eenie meenie miny more tag

Beautiful Day

And loved Miss Sarajevo with the refugee message

Actually all of the messages about peace, unity and community, women's rights. All of it. We need to be reminded of a lot of things right now. 

Only negatives and they weren't really that bad were closing with the new song (which I like but feels weird) and Bono clearly being extremely uncomfortable singing Red Hill still (which is weird to me)

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    Poncier said:
    Spoony C said:
    Yeah, the women's tribute video had been set to "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" up to that point. I saw that version in both Dallas last month and on Friday in Louisville. I can't decide whether I'm disappointed they didn't make the change one show sooner, so I could have seen it both ways; I think I like "Ultraviolet" better as a song (and have seen "Mysterious Ways" more times on past tours), but it would have been cool to be there for a tour song debut and to get both versions to compare.

Apparently the night of the Philly show was Edge and Morleigh's anniversary, and Mysterious Ways was a one off to celebrate that. (Morleigh was the belly dancer during Mysterious Ways on ZooTV tour that's how they met).
    They are back to Ultraviolet on a nightly basis now.

And I knew as soon as I posted this yesterday they would play Mysterious Ways last night on night 2 at MetLife, and they did. They also played Ultraviolet.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    ISO tickets for the Croke Park show. Please PM if you have any extras or know of someone who might. 

Thanks. 
    NYPJ
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited July 2017
    wall232 said:
    ISO tickets for the Croke Park show. Please PM if you have any extras or know of someone who might. 

Thanks. 
    I just got tix 2 days ago off TM. They've had a few drops this week. Up in the bleeds but at this point just happy to be in the building. Have a look, they been randomly dropping upper level tickets.

Edit: Also try the Irish site adverts.ie  The rule is face value sales only.
    As it gets closer to the show people may drop their prices on donedeal.ie but at the moment they're asking stupid money.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Can't wait for the shows to come to Europe, hoping for mixlr's as well.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    eddiec said:
    wall232 said:

Thanks. 
    I just got tix 2 days ago off TM. They've had a few drops this week. Up in the bleeds but at this point just happy to be in the building. Have a look, they been randomly dropping upper level tickets.

Edit: Also try the Irish site adverts.ie  The rule is face value sales only.
    As it gets closer to the show people may drop their prices on donedeal.ie but at the moment they're asking stupid money.
    Yeah, I keep seeming to miss the drops. I'll keep checking and also keep an eye on those 2 other sites.  Can't wait to be in Ireland for the first time in a few weeks. 

Thanks for for the info.
    NYPJ
    listened to achtung baby today for the first time in a long time...fuck it's so good!  I really need to get this on vinyl.  
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Damn, BC place actually made pretty good on the U2 entrance fiasco. Just got an email, getting $50 ticketmaster card for each ticket purchased, which alone is nice but also getting a ticket to any BC Lions or Vancouver Whitecaps game per ticket bought and each ticket infludes $20 for the concession. 
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Horse2345 said:
    Damn, BC place actually made pretty good on the U2 entrance fiasco. Just got an email, getting $50 ticketmaster card for each ticket purchased, which alone is nice but also getting a ticket to any BC Lions or Vancouver Whitecaps game per ticket bought and each ticket infludes $20 for the concession. 
    Did you complain? 

How do i get some of rhese?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Horse2345 said:
    Did you complain? 

I sent an email to ticketmaster saying i wasnt impressed with the way things were handled.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Horse2345 said:
    Horse2345 said:
    Did you complain? 

I sent an email to ticketmaster saying i wasnt impressed with the way things were handled.
    Nice work!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Horse2345 said:

I got the same email today. I was impressed actually :)
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
    Why is u2 vinyl so expensive?!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Most reissue vinyl is. 
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187

Louisville show was my second time seeing the boys and my first time with floor seats. What a show...glad I made the trip for a solo show for while they are doing TJT album in full. Finally saw Bad which is one of my favorites and it did not disappoint. Could have used an I Will Follow closer to send us off buzzing. These sets have been so top heavy that the encore leaves a bit to be desired. Such a cool random moment during the beginning of WTSHNN when a giant FedEx 747 flew over the stadium as it was making its descent to the airport. Hope we get Songs of Experience Tour sooner than later. Can't wait for next time.

2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2017
    Saw U2 for the first time last night. I'm not a huge fan, but I do really like Joshua Tree. 

I've gotta say I really enjoyed the show. The band were really tight and Bono's voice is still really good. 

Would love to see an Actung Baby tour, but I can't see that happening!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
    tino_11 said:
    Saw U2 for the first time last night. I'm not a huge fan, but I do really like Joshua Tree. 

I've gotta say I really enjoyed the show. The band were really tight and Bono's voice is still really good. 

Would love to see an Actung Baby tour, but I can't see that happening!
    Achtung Baby tour would be unreal! I missed out on ZooTV tour.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited July 2017
    Horse2345 said:
    Yeah, it's an excellent compensation package. I actually think it's too much TBH (not that I begrudge those getting it). I mean, people only missed a mediocre opener. They all got in the for actual show. I definitely don't think that a 6 song opener is worth the price of the entire concert ticket, which is what the compensation amounts to. I say this with as little jealousy as humanly possible: I feel a little ripped off as someone who stood in that line too, but managed to get in just before the opener started. That opener was not even close to being worth the compensation package, so logically, those who got in earlier got the short end of the stick. I still had to wait in line for 2 hours even though I got there when doors were supposed to open. Damn, even when I was actually there on the floor I said that I would be having more fun in the line outside than I was having seeing M&S play. They may as well have played the same song over and over again - I honestly wouldn't have noticed the difference. I wish I'd complained about the situation so that I didn't feel ripped off compared to those who did!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Would love to see the Pop album get some 20th anniversary love on the next Songs of Experience album tour in the next couple years. Seeing Gone, Last Night on Earth, and maybe Staring at the sun would be great.
  • emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Last night in Dublin 

PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    emjot said:
    Last night in Dublin 

That show was better than expected.
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horse2345 said:
    Yeah, it's an excellent compensation package. I actually think it's too much TBH (not that I begrudge those getting it). I mean, people only missed a mediocre opener. They all got in the for actual show. I definitely don't think that a 6 song opener is worth the price of the entire concert ticket, which is what the compensation amounts to. I say this with as little jealousy as humanly possible: I feel a little ripped off as someone who stood in that line too, but managed to get in just before the opener started. That opener was not even close to being worth the compensation package, so logically, those who got in earlier got the short end of the stick. I still had to wait in line for 2 hours even though I got there when doors were supposed to open. Damn, even when I was actually there on the floor I said that I would be having more fun in the line outside than I was having seeing M&F play. They may as well have played the same song over and over again - I honestly wouldn't have noticed the difference. I wish I'd complained about the situation so that I didn't feel ripped off compared to those who did!

Wow, Mumford"s last album turned me from your opinion above into a big fan. It had zero banjo and was all guitars, solos, etc. Maybe give that album a listen again, wilder mind. Tompkins Square Park is one of my fav songs released in the past five years
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Anyone going to Detroit?
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    New song "The Blackout" is out now. After one listen, it's the best release in easily ten years from them. The chorus is catchy, stadium ready and good four on the floor to move to. This gives me hope for the album. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    It's good. 

Though i I thought Every Breaking Wave or Invisible is the best song they have put out in the past decade.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    New song "The Blackout" is out now. After one listen, it's the best release in easily ten years from them. The chorus is catchy, stadium ready and good four on the floor to move to. This gives me hope for the album. 

Same. I'm really hoping its solid. Haven't truly enjoyed a U2 record since How To Dismantle..
    www.cluthelee.com
    Excited to give it a listen after work!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2017
    The new song is pretty decent IMO. I think this might end up being a pretty good album, in modern U2 terms. I agree they haven't made a good album since How to Dismantle..., although the last one wasn't totally horrible.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    Anyone need two for buffalo sec 102. paypal or meet in person works 160 for the pair