How old is too young?

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    JH6056 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JH6056 said:
    Get_Right said:
    This thread is funny.  There are no right or wrong answers and nobody has the right to say what is right or wrong for another persons child.
    At the end of the day, if you are a good parent, exposure to the "bad" things that are common at rock concerts is not going to turn your child into a drug addict, prostitute or criminal. Unless you take them to insane clown posse.  Then you deserve whatever you get.
    Crap!  [Jumps online to see if I got ticket insurance and can cancel 6 tickets to Insane Clown Posse]  [Also wondering if 5 yr olds I was going to take will slash my tires for cancelling]
    LOL and dump cotton candy flavored Faygo all over your new ride
    I just can't believe I believed the 5 yr olds when they told me ICP was kids' music and that singing about killing your parents was the theme on Sesame Street this week... 
    Kids these days are soooooo smart!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mace1229 said:
    I don't get half the comments in this thread.
    first, the repeated notion of "why would you let what others think dictate what you do?" Well that's called common courtesy. I'm assuming anyone who says that is the guy holding the annoying banner blocking the view of 20 people behind him for half the show. Taking into consideration how others feel is the basics behind common courtesy, so I don't know why that is treated like a bad thing.

that being said, who has ever been bothered by a kid at a show? Never even occurred to me that anyone could be bothered by a kid until I read some comments. My first though when I see a kid at a show or game is "dang it, now I'm going to look like a dick if I reach over their head to grab a foul ball or t-shirt," but that's about the extent of it.
    what age is too young is up to the parents. Personally for me probably not under 12 for PJ. I know very few kids 7 or 8 who are into their own music that isn't going to make me wish hateful things on the band. And so I just don't see the point of spending that money. 
    Each parent should decide their own filter. I don't get the criticism about that. I personally probably wouldn't want to expose my kids to everything that entails a Pj show until 10 or 12. And just because what said on the playground is worse than anything on TV doesn't mean I'm going to put on Game of Thrones for them. I'll still censor when I can until they are older.
    my kid is not blocking your view. my kid is sitting there with her headphones on, bopping her head to the music. if that ruins your time, then yes, that is your problem, not anyone else's. 

i have yet to hear one single solitary reason why my kid being at a show effects your time. not one. 
    One reason: Total buzz kill. As a parent, you may be cool with your child watching me smoke pot. I'm not cool smoking pot in front of children. It would definitely affect my high, and please don't tell me not to light up because that would really, really annoy me even more.
    now this is rich: you don't want my kid there to ruin your time, but it's because you want to do something illegal and that has the potential to bother many people around you, but no one's allowed to tell you not to light up if it's ruining their time?

I smoke weed. But I don't smoke weed at indoor shows anymore as I understand how bothersome it can be to people around me. not to mention running the risk of getting kicked out of the show. 
    Oh, I'm sure there will be people who tell me what I can and cannot do everywhere and anywhere . . . Isn't what this whole thread is about? Someone asked for an opinion on what to do regarding a child. If the acceptable answer to the parent is "whatever floats your boat, daddy" then I expect the same respect. It floats my boat to smoke weed at concerts. Sorry that bothers anybody, but sitting next to your kid bothers me. I can't very well ask you not to bring your child, can I?  In fact, I haven't. My consistent position is just that I hope I never sit next to one, as well as hoping I don't sit near the pot police either. Sorry not everyone is in love with your child. I know that's hard to believe as a parent, but maybe you can work on letting that sink in.
    jesus. who the fuck ever said anything about being in love with my child? what a bizarre thing to say. 

blowing weed smoke in someone's face is not respect. I don't do it. it's pretty fucking rude to expect others to just be ok with it. another human being that happens to be younger than you doens't make you cough or possibly induce an allergic reaction. it's selfish. 

i'm not leaving my kid at home because you hate kids after 5pm. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    At Tom Petty last week, I remarked how the show would have been a great one to bring kids to (lawn seats). Sound wasn't very loud, crowd was tame--but man people don't really seem to care how evil cigarettes are.
    Yup, I have mild cigarette/weed smoke allergies.  Saw Radiohead some months ago at indoor arena and coughed for literally 2 weeks afterwards.  It's legal (but nasty for those who don't like it) to smoke outdoors... but per HughFreakinDillon's point, it's not even legal to smoke anything indoors in the US anymore (in most states anyway).  I view it as a predictable and necessary evil (and no, I don't get security when people smoke near me, although if they are right next to me I absolutely tell them about my allergy and ask them to have mercy, which they almost always do).

But yeah, it's nasty stuff and it is ironic that someone would say what What Dreams did above about kids ruining a show for someone because they won't feel comfy smoking weed in front of kids, when that weed/cigarette smoke is NEVER contained, floats everywhere, and affects everyone around you -sometimes really for the worse like me.  Still, I know it's possible/likely, and if it's a band that apparently has a huge weed-smoking contingent like Radiohead, I know I gotta just balance my desire to see them with my desire to not end up at urgent care the next day.  Praying for outdoor shows next time Radiohead tours... (and NO, I didn't bring my kid.  I knew it would probably be smoky, just didn't know how bad).  But still, how hypocritical to say "Don't bring your kid, it crushes my weed vibe" when actually, your weed smoking may be crushing the breathing vibes of way way more people than the # who even noticed that a kid is there. 
  • Options
    I like to socialize with my peers at concerts. Five year olds are not my peers. I don't understand people who think they are. I hope I'm never seated next to a five year old. I won't think it's cute, and I sure as hell won't refrain from lighting a joint right next to that child. I believe I read a post in this thread with a parent saying she/he calls security on the pot smokers? Holy Batmobile. Please tell me I misunderstood that.
    i've never done it, nor would I. but it's fucking illegal. how can you blame someone for calling security about someone doing something illegal?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    leave the turds at home.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited July 2017
    I like to socialize with my peers at concerts. Five year olds are not my peers. I don't understand people who think they are. I hope I'm never seated next to a five year old. I won't think it's cute, and I sure as hell won't refrain from lighting a joint right next to that child. I believe I read a post in this thread with a parent saying she/he calls security on the pot smokers? Holy Batmobile. Please tell me I misunderstood that.
    i've never done it, nor would I. but it's fucking illegal. how can you blame someone for calling security about someone doing something illegal?
    Because that's super fucking lame and would cause the smoker to suffer unfair/unbalanced consequences if someone did call security over. Especially considering there are hundreds if not thousands of people there doing it and not getting ratted out by a bad neighbor. Anyone who would call security about someone smoking weed at a rock concert is a huge asshole. That said, I'm pretty sure the person in question said they'd call security if someone next to them was smoking METH, not weed. Big difference, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mace1229 said:
    I don't get half the comments in this thread.
    first, the repeated notion of "why would you let what others think dictate what you do?" Well that's called common courtesy. I'm assuming anyone who says that is the guy holding the annoying banner blocking the view of 20 people behind him for half the show. Taking into consideration how others feel is the basics behind common courtesy, so I don't know why that is treated like a bad thing.

that being said, who has ever been bothered by a kid at a show? Never even occurred to me that anyone could be bothered by a kid until I read some comments. My first though when I see a kid at a show or game is "dang it, now I'm going to look like a dick if I reach over their head to grab a foul ball or t-shirt," but that's about the extent of it.
    what age is too young is up to the parents. Personally for me probably not under 12 for PJ. I know very few kids 7 or 8 who are into their own music that isn't going to make me wish hateful things on the band. And so I just don't see the point of spending that money. 
    Each parent should decide their own filter. I don't get the criticism about that. I personally probably wouldn't want to expose my kids to everything that entails a Pj show until 10 or 12. And just because what said on the playground is worse than anything on TV doesn't mean I'm going to put on Game of Thrones for them. I'll still censor when I can until they are older.
    my kid is not blocking your view. my kid is sitting there with her headphones on, bopping her head to the music. if that ruins your time, then yes, that is your problem, not anyone else's. 

i have yet to hear one single solitary reason why my kid being at a show effects your time. not one. 
    One reason: Total buzz kill. As a parent, you may be cool with your child watching me smoke pot. I'm not cool smoking pot in front of children. It would definitely affect my high, and please don't tell me not to light up because that would really, really annoy me even more.
    now this is rich: you don't want my kid there to ruin your time, but it's because you want to do something illegal and that has the potential to bother many people around you, but no one's allowed to tell you not to light up if it's ruining their time?

I smoke weed. But I don't smoke weed at indoor shows anymore as I understand how bothersome it can be to people around me. not to mention running the risk of getting kicked out of the show. 
    Oh, I'm sure there will be people who tell me what I can and cannot do everywhere and anywhere . . . Isn't what this whole thread is about? Someone asked for an opinion on what to do regarding a child. If the acceptable answer to the parent is "whatever floats your boat, daddy" then I expect the same respect. It floats my boat to smoke weed at concerts. Sorry that bothers anybody, but sitting next to your kid bothers me. I can't very well ask you not to bring your child, can I?  In fact, I haven't. My consistent position is just that I hope I never sit next to one, as well as hoping I don't sit near the pot police either. Sorry not everyone is in love with your child. I know that's hard to believe as a parent, but maybe you can work on letting that sink in.
    jesus. who the fuck ever said anything about being in love with my child? what a bizarre thing to say. 

blowing weed smoke in someone's face is not respect. I don't do it. it's pretty fucking rude to expect others to just be ok with it. another human being that happens to be younger than you doens't make you cough or possibly induce an allergic reaction. it's selfish. 

i'm not leaving my kid at home because you hate kids after 5pm. 
    Didn't ask you to. You have me confused with someone else.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Because that's super fucking lame and would cause the smoker to suffer undue consequences if someone did call security. Anyone who would call security about someone smoking weed at a rock concert is a huge asshole. That said, I'm pretty sure the person in question said they'd call security if someone next to them was smoking METH, not weed. Big difference, lol.
    why big difference? because you smoke weed at concerts and not meth? either way, if I get caught doing something illegal/wrong, I don't blame anyone but myself. that's called being an adult. personal accountability and all. 

smoking indoors, weed or cigarettes, is against the law almost everywhere you go, for good reason. my wife has pretty severe asthma, so forgive me if I don't give a shit if someone's buzz gets ruined. aw, too bad about your buzz. how about my wife's inability to breathe?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Because that's super fucking lame and would cause the smoker to suffer unfair/unbalanced consequences if someone did call security over. Especially considering there are hundreds if not thousands of people there doing it and not getting ratted out by a bad neighbor. Anyone who would call security about someone smoking weed at a rock concert is a huge asshole. That said, I'm pretty sure the person in question said they'd call security if someone next to them was smoking METH, not weed. Big difference, lol.
    Wow, I said above that I don't go get security but I do have cigarette/weed/smoke allergies and it DOES ACTUALLY AFFECT MY HEALTH when people smoke near me at shows.  That said, I assume it's a necessary evil (more common and evil for some bands than others) but still, how can you have such a righteous attitude about something that, in the end, is actually illegal and does actually affect everyone around you?  

Some around you may not care; others around you may not like it but not be affected; while others around you may get sick from it, either on the spot or later.  What is so much more valuable about you and your desire to do something illegal at a show than the rights of everyone around you to enjoy the show without being affected - literally affected, by breathing in your smoke - by your weed smoking?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    No, because weed doesn't make you insane and meth does. Doing meth or shooting heroin or smoking crack during a rock concert isn't appropriate because it fucks up the user too much and even has the potential to make them dangerous to be around or puts them at risk of ODing there. Weed, on the other hand, has no consequences like that.

Are you saying that if someone smoked a bowl near your wife in a huge arena, she would stop breathing?? So that would mean that she can't go to concerts at all, no? Since arenas tend to be pretty smoky in general during concerts, whether someone is smoking right next to you or not. How does she navigate the sidewalk? People do still smoke on the streets.

Yeah, I'm fine with people smoking a bit of weed at a rock concert. Not exactly a shocking attitude.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    PJ_Soul said:
    I could care less about the legality of weed.  But if the smoke was a major distraction I would ask the person to put it away.  If they weren't courteous enough to listen than I don't what other choice you would have besides speaking to an usher. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Give me all the kids around me at the next concert if they replace the weed. Good gosh I hate that smell. 

But no, I don't rain on anyones parade if they decide to. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, because weed doesn't make you insane and meth does. Doing meth or shooting heroin or smoking crack during a rock concert isn't appropriate because it fucks up the user too much and even has the potential to make them dangerous to be around or puts them at risk of ODing there. Weed, on the other hand, has no consequences like that.

Are you saying that if someone smoked a bowl near your wife in a huge arena, she would stop breathing?? How does she navigate the sidewalk? People do still smoke on the streets.
    I don't have asthma but I do have allergies and smoke absolutely affects me.  You don't see the hypocrisy in looking down on the use of one illegal substance in an enclosed setting (indoors) but because you enjoy the use of another substance that is illegal to use in the same setting, you see it as "appropriate" in your case even if it has actual health effects on others around you?  The fact that his wife might breathe in smoke on the street is a passing thing, whereas a concert can be as much as 2-4+ hours of music and that is a long damn time to be breathing in that smoke that you can't keep to yourself.

Maybe I've been to laissez-faire about smoke at shows, because if I'd known this was how entitled smokers felt to do something that they have no way of keeping to themselves and that has - where I've underestimated how much smoke there will be - made me to go urgent care, I might have called security a few times just to bite down on the attitude!  How about when you find a way to smoke in public without it going into the air around you, then we can talk about you having just as much a right to do it?  But until you can keep it to yourself, maybe don't do it in public places where it's forbidden since some part of you seems to agree that actual health and safety impacts on others should be  considered?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Are you saying that if someone smoked a bowl near your wife in a huge arena, she would stop breathing?? How does she navigate the sidewalk? People do still smoke on the streets.
    see JH's post above. 

she wouldn't stop breathing, obviously. but when someone smokes a joint, it produces a large a mount of smoke. if that smokes is close to her, you see, it doesn't shoot straight up into the air like a rocket bypassing everyone else's noses, it gets in her lungs, and if she has an allergic reaction, then she can't breathe. if you haven't experienced it, it's not just a "suck it up" moment. it's scary as fuck for her, and for me.

for her to breathe, she has to take a steroid. which then causes her physical issues for up to 3 days.  headaches, muscle spasms, can't sleep, irritability, etc. it fucks her up. she has to take these every time we go to someone's house if they have a pet. which is a whole other issue, with, yes, people on the streets who have dogs that come up to her, "don't worry, she's friendly". "um, no, dickhead, it's not all about fear, it's about her health, get your fucking dog on a leash". 

common courtesy does not extend to people exhaling toxins that make life difficult for others, especially when it is illegal to do so. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2017
    JH6056 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't have asthma but I do have allergies and smoke absolutely affects me.  You don't see the hypocrisy in looking down on the use of one illegal substance in an enclosed setting (indoors) but because you enjoy the use of another substance that is illegal to use in the same setting, you see it as "appropriate" in your case even if it has actual health effects on others around you?  The fact that his wife might breathe in smoke on the street is a passing thing, whereas a concert can be as much as 2-4+ hours of music and that is a long damn time to be breathing in that smoke that you can't keep to yourself.

Maybe I've been to laissez-faire about smoke at shows, because if I'd known this was how entitled smokers felt to do something that they have no way of keeping to themselves and that has - where I've underestimated how much smoke there will be - made me to go urgent care, I might have called security a few times just to bite down on the attitude!  How about when you find a way to smoke in public without it going into the air around you, then we can talk about you having just as much a right to do it?  But until you can keep it to yourself, maybe don't do it in public places where it's forbidden since some part of you seems to agree that actual health and safety impacts on others should be  considered?
    I never ever smoke weed at concerts. I haven't for many, many years. Even back in the day I rarely did because I was afraid security would spot me and kick me out. Is there a reason you decided that I'm a public pot smoker and all entitled and hypocritical? Do you just assume that whoever defends it does it?
  • Options
    I might call security on the people belting out every song next time. That negatively affects my hearing. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Are you saying that if someone smoked a bowl near your wife in a huge arena, she would stop breathing?? So that would mean that she can't go to concerts at all, no? Since arenas tend to be pretty smoky in general during concerts, whether someone is smoking right next to you or not. How does she navigate the sidewalk? People do still smoke on the streets.

Yeah, I'm fine with people smoking a bit of weed at a rock concert. Not exactly a shocking attitude.
    so am I. that wasn't the point. the point was it's not an asshole move to get security if it's to tell them about someone doing something illegal because it might be compromising their health. or for any other reason, it really makes no difference to me.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I might call security on the people belting out every song next time. That negatively affects my hearing. 
    Right?
    I am regularly irritated by other people near me at concerts. I am actually physically disturbed fairly regularly by aggressive dickheads, or have to suffer some asshole who yells and screams and disturbs me the whole damn show, or hold their phone in front of my face the entire time so I can't even see. I think that is way more disruptive than a minute or two of a bad smell or minor irritation from smoke .... but do I call security on them? No, because it's a fucking rock concert.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    It's equally bizarre to say in one post, "it's okay to expose 5 year olds to drinking and drugs because sharing Pearl Jam brings so much joy and there's drugs everywhere in my city" but then in the next post say "Don't smoke pot at a Pearl Jam show because you're choking me and my child." Which is it?

I'm saying basically the same thing. Bring your damn child if you want to. Just don't bring it near me. How I respond to your child doesn't have to make sense to you any more than your bringing the kid has to make sense to me. 

Peaceful co-existence hopefully occurs in a very large arena for everybody. So far, I've been fortunate and will hope my good luck continues.

My very best wishes to you as you create your special memories because someday you will die and you will be glad to have bonded over the one thing that can bring you and your kid together.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Right?
    I am regularly irritated by other people near me at concerts. I am actually physically disturbed fairly regularly by aggressive dickheads, or have to suffer some asshole who yells and screams and disturbs me the whole damn show.... but do I call security on them? No, because it's a fucking rock concert.
    ok, so singing off key is the same as someone having to possibly seek medical attention because of the actions of a fellow concert goer.

makes perfect sense.   
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

so am I. that wasn't the point. the point was it's not an asshole move to get security if it's to tell them about someone doing something illegal because it might be compromising their health. or for any other reason, it really makes no difference to me.  
    Well, if the activity is truly compromising their health (that doesn't just mean they cough a little until the smoke is gone or whatever. it means it's an actual risk, not just some minor discomfort), then okay. I have never in my life seen or heard of that happening though. Does it ever happen? I have my doubts. It seems like a pretty unrealistic scenario.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,932
    shut it down.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JH6056 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I never ever smoke weed at concerts. I haven't for many, many years. Even back in the day I rarely did because I was afraid security would spot me and kick me out. Is there a reason you decided that I'm a public pot smoker and all entitled and hypocritical? Do you just assume that whoever defends it does it?
    You're right, you defending it made me think you do it.  If you don't, sorry for that mistake.

That said, you originally said:
    "Because that's super fucking lame and would cause the smoker to suffer unfair/unbalanced consequences if someone did call security over. Especially considering there are hundreds if not thousands of people there doing it and not getting ratted out by a bad neighbor. Anyone who would call security about someone smoking weed at a rock concert is a huge asshole. That said, I'm pretty sure the person in question said they'd call security if someone next to them was smoking METH, not weed. Big difference, lol. "

So I made changes to my last post, now I guess the post below fits what you said?
    I don't have asthma but I do have allergies and smoke absolutely affects me.  You don't see the hypocrisy in looking down on the use of one illegal substance in an enclosed setting (indoors) but because you enjoy the use of another substance that is illegal to use in the same setting, you see it as "appropriate" for others to do even if it has actual health effects on others around you?  The fact that his wife might breathe in smoke on the street is a passing thing, whereas a concert can be as much as 2-4+ hours of music and that is a long damn time to be breathing in that smoke that you can't keep to yourself.

And you think the fact that "hundreds if not thousands of people are doing it and not getting ratted out by a BAD neighbor" means his wife should just suck it up and deal with it is perplexing to me.  You must also not mind if hundreds of thousands of people text and drive every day in North America, and so what if it causes 100 accidents every day and a few deaths - hey, it lots of people do it, that justifies it?  Or only in certain cases like weed smoking at concerts does the larger number of people doing something illegal justify it somehow to you? Because that's what you seem to be saying.

Calling someone a "huge asshole" if they call security because they can't get the person next to them to stop smoking weed illegally indoors and due to assigned seats can't just "move away" is... perplexing.  I still want to understand in your view why the smoker has a much greater right to smoke when they can't contain their smoke and keep it out of their neighbor's nose?  

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, if the activity is truly compromising their health (that doesn't just mean they cough a little until the smoke is gone or whatever. it means it's an actual risk, not just some minor discomfort), then okay. I have never in my life seen or heard of that happening though. Does it ever happen? I have my doubts. It seems like a pretty unrealistic scenario.
    doubt all you want. several days of feeling shitty is not minor discomfort. and I know people who have asthma issues way worse than hers. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Right?
    I am regularly irritated by other people near me at concerts. I am actually physically disturbed fairly regularly by aggressive dickheads, or have to suffer some asshole who yells and screams and disturbs me the whole damn show.... but do I call security on them? No, because it's a fucking rock concert.
    ok, so singing off key is the same as someone having to possibly seek medical attention because of the actions of a fellow concert goer.

makes perfect sense.   
    I have never heard of someone needing medical attention because someone smoked weed near them at a concert. Also, I was not talking about people singing off key. I was talking about people physically disturbing me, like ramming into me, being pushed around, having people pushed into me, feet stepped on, elbowed, have a boot in the head, etc. That is way worse than what you're talking about and I would still never call security over for it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Right?

makes perfect sense.   
    I have never heard of someone needing medical attention because someone smoked weed near them at a concert. Also, I was not talking about people singing off key. I was talking about people physically disturbing me, like ramming into me, being pushed around, having people pushed into me, feet stepped on, elbowed, have a boot in the head, etc. That is way worse than what you're talking about and I would still never call security over for it.
    you agreed with the person who said it. 

you go into the pit at a concert, you have to expect to be roughed up a little. that's why i don't go in pits anymore. I'm too old for that shit. that stuff is incidental and comes with the territory. if you are being assaulted by someone on purpose, then I'd say let security know about it. 

I'd take being pushed around over not being able to breathe any day. you obviously have no idea what it feels/looks like. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    When I was a little kid my parents like to do adult things with their adult friends and us kids stayed home with the baby sitter.  I had no problem with that and I had no interest in doing adult things with my adult parents.  So why is the current parenting generation so hung up about wanting their children to participate in adult activities?  Are they themselves having a hard time being adults?  Is it because they want to show off their kids to everyone around them?  Do they want to turn their children into miniature adults? Honestly, I don't get it. (And yes, though not a biological father, I have had parenting experience.)

live music is an adult thing now? I didn't take my daughter to a burlesque show. I took her to a rock show. 

my wife and I do plenty of adult things on our own; kids with my parents. I don't see your point at all, brian. I see narcissistic tendencies with the selfie generation and stuff like that, but I don't see any trend of parents being hung up about children participating in adult activities. examples?

when my wife was a bartender in scotland, she told me stories about how families do everything together. they go to the pub, children in tow, to a drinking establishment on fridays after work. the first time I heard that, I couldn't believe it. I thought "what horrible people these scots are!". then I realized people in north america are just so fucking uptight about everything. 

I'm not at the point, and doubtful I ever will be, of taking my kids to the pub, but to a live music event she wanted to go to? if my daughter shares my passion and begs me to go, then I'm cultivating that. 

It depends on the show and the venue.  My folks took me to see the new Christie Minstrels at an out-door family event.  No problem.  But if they had taken me at the age where my senses were still developing to a venue to see a band with ear damaging levels of sound (keep in mind is its not possible to attenuate more than 40 dBs of volume) and where a large percentage of the crowd is drunk and/or stoned and/or etc., is that I good idea?

I'm not telling anyone what they should do, but as you well know (lol) I'm not afraid to express my opinion wither.  I think it's a bad idea.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    When I was a little kid my parents like to do adult things with their adult friends and us kids stayed home with the baby sitter.  I had no problem with that and I had no interest in doing adult things with my adult parents.  So why is the current parenting generation so hung up about wanting their children to participate in adult activities?  Are they themselves having a hard time being adults?  Is it because they want to show off their kids to everyone around them?  Do they want to turn their children into miniature adults? Honestly, I don't get it. (And yes, though not a biological father, I have had parenting experience.)

live music is an adult thing now? I didn't take my daughter to a burlesque show. I took her to a rock show. 

my wife and I do plenty of adult things on our own; kids with my parents. I don't see your point at all, brian. I see narcissistic tendencies with the selfie generation and stuff like that, but I don't see any trend of parents being hung up about children participating in adult activities. examples?

when my wife was a bartender in scotland, she told me stories about how families do everything together. they go to the pub, children in tow, to a drinking establishment on fridays after work. the first time I heard that, I couldn't believe it. I thought "what horrible people these scots are!". then I realized people in north america are just so fucking uptight about everything. 

I'm not at the point, and doubtful I ever will be, of taking my kids to the pub, but to a live music event she wanted to go to? if my daughter shares my passion and begs me to go, then I'm cultivating that. 

It depends on the show and the venue.  My folks took me to see the new Christie Minstrels at an out-door family event.  No problem.  But if they had taken me at the age where my senses were still developing to a venue to see a band with ear damaging levels of sound (keep in mind is its not possible to attenuate more than 40 dBs of volume) and where a large percentage of the crowd is drunk and/or stoned and/or etc., is that I good idea?

I'm not telling anyone what they should do, but as you well know (lol) I'm not afraid to express my opinion wither.  I think it's a bad idea.
    depends on the band, but I don't often see a "large percentage are drunk....". You see some. but not a large percentage. but again, even if that were true, the same could be said about a sporting event. 

my daughter said her headphones worked great. she took them off, said it was too loud, so she put them back on. she's fine. if she had told me it was bothersome, we would have left, or listened from the concourse or something. 

people are just way over the top about this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It's equally bizarre to say in one post, "it's okay to expose 5 year olds to drinking and drugs because sharing Pearl Jam brings so much joy and there's drugs everywhere in my city" but then in the next post say "Don't smoke pot at a Pearl Jam show because you're choking me and my child." Which is it?

I'm saying basically the same thing. Bring your damn child if you want to. Just don't bring it near me. How I respond to your child doesn't have to make sense to you any more than your bringing the kid has to make sense to me. 

Peaceful co-existence hopefully occurs in a very large arena for everybody. So far, I've been fortunate and will hope my good luck continues.

My very best wishes to you as you create your special memories because someday you will die and you will be glad to have bonded over the one thing that can bring you and your kid together.
    I must've missed it - please quote the post here where anyone said "Don't smoke near my 5 yr old".  

So far there's the "bring your kid" and "don't bring your kid cuz it crushes my weed vibe", to which someone said "I smoke weed, not at shows, and don't really care that much that others do, but really?  Your weed vibe is illegal indoors and affects others, but you think you have more of a right to smoke than I do to bring my kid who maybe visually affects you but your weed is going up everyone's actual nose?" (paraphrased of course).

But I see no one actually saying "I want to bring my kid, so don't smoke at a PJ concert".  Also, many have said many things, but I for one have not had a problem at the rock shows I've been to with excessively visible drunk or high behavior (and seen more than 1,000 concerts overall), so I also don't see everyone agreeing that bringing a young kid = exposure to really bad drunk/high behavior.  I don't assume my kid will see that when I bring kids, because I rarely see it so bad it's not ignorable at any show.  Then again, I don't go to see Guns and Roses or whoever today's version of "raucous bad boy rock" is, but of course I'd expect all kinds of debauchery at a show like that.  And nudity.

All that said though, whether I bring my kid or not, if you smoke right next to me, I will ask you not to because of my allergies.  Most people are kind and considerate and I appreciate that, I don't make a big deal out of it.  But if it was over the top, constant smoke and you didn't go somewhere else to smoke?  Ever occur to you that there's a reason that it's actually illegal in most places, i.e. because it is literally IMPOSSIBLE for you to keep it to yourself?  I won't miss a show I paid for to run to the ER just because you feel it's your right to enshroud me in a cloud of constant smoke.  Fortunately, that's almost never how bad it is.  Even at Radiohead it wasn't right near me, so I just had to go out for a lot of "fresher air breaks".    

So who said "I'm bringing my kid to PJ so don't smoke weed"?  Quote it please, cuz I don't see it... 
  • Options
    More than 1000 shows? Dang 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
This discussion has been closed.