A Declaration

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
       IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Someone should read this to the president....but condense it and include many bullet points and pictures for him to understand.

God help us all. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    We are heading over to Lexington and Concord later today. It's become a 4th of July tradition for us. The Declaration will be read in its entirety on the Old North Bridge at 1pm. Hoping to make it there in time before hiking the Battle Road.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    except for the first two paragraphs and the last two paragraphs, the whole thing is bullet points. no excuse for the presidential dumbass to not understand it. he could tweet each one of them if he would like.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited July 2017

Free and Independent States, not bitches to this federal government or any other.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    unsung said:

Free and Independent States, not bitches to this federal government or any other.
    If you lived in Rwanda you wouldn't be so cavalier in your dismissal of a strong federal government.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:

If you compare the articles of confederation vs the Constitution,  you should be more for the articles as compared to the Constitution.  it weird that the framers of the Constitution if they really wanted the stats to be free and independent that they would not have thrown out the articles away like they did,
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    unsung said:
    So I expect you have answers for the following then. Without Government:
    -Who will cover infrastructural costs? 
    -Who will prevent over-fishing and over-hunting to the point of extinction (a trend we're moving towards even with preventative government measures)
    -If your raw milk makes a person sick, who has liability - the creator or the consumer?
    -When you get back to reality where there are governments and borders, who will protect your nonexistent borders from people with worse lives who don't even need to seek refugee status on your land (because you have no law to adhere to)?

You criticize the government when they fail at enforcing a law/restriction - do you disagree with the laws' existences, or do you feel that disorganized members of society could enforce them better? If the former, who is the right person/group of people to decide what prohibited or necessary actions belong in a society, and how would that differ from a government? If the latter, how do you perceive disorganized members of society could enforce it better? 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    benjs said:
    unsung said:
    -Who will prevent over-fishing and over-hunting to the point of extinction (a trend we're moving towards even with preventative government measures)
    -If your raw milk makes a person sick, who has liability - the creator or the consumer?
    -When you get back to reality where there are governments and borders, who will protect your nonexistent borders from people with worse lives who don't even need to seek refugee status on your land (because you have no law to adhere to)?

You criticize the government when they fail at enforcing a law/restriction - do you disagree with the laws' existences, or do you feel that disorganized members of society could enforce them better? If the former, who is the right person/group of people to decide what prohibited or necessary actions belong in a society, and how would that differ from a government? If the latter, how do you perceive disorganized members of society could enforce it better? 
    Ben, unsung's premise of not needing a federal government makes good sense assuming people are capable of handling themselves in  a manner based on common courtesy, working for the good of all, having concern the environment and respecting and living within the balances of nature.  The fact that American's elected our current president- that alone is proof enough that we are not yet capable of those things.  His premise therefor is based on an unlikely idealist premise- sort of like mine hope that we might someday have world peace and come to live within the laws of nature.  Doesn't mean we can't hope for these things and work toward them, but they're not gonna happen any time soon, I'm afraid.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    unsung said:

Ben, unsung's premise of not needing a federal government makes good sense assuming people are capable of handling themselves in  a manner based on common courtesy, working for the good of all, having concern the environment and respecting and living within the balances of nature.  The fact that American's elected our current president- that alone is proof enough that we are not yet capable of those things.  His premise therefor is based on an unlikely idealist premise- sort of like mine hope that we might someday have world peace and come to live within the laws of nature.  Doesn't mean we can't hope for these things and work toward them, but they're not gonna happen any time soon, I'm afraid.
    Brian, I know we're on the same page, and I'm well aware of unsung's premise. The point that I'm trying to make is precisely what you stated - we are not psychologically capable of working together for a greater good because of some dominant faults such as greed and laziness. I'm tired of seeing these nonsensical statements attributing all evils to governments, when governments are just a subset of an evil called 'mankind'. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Some people are so predictable you can set a watch to them 
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    unsung said:

Brian, I know we're on the same page, and I'm well aware of unsung's premise. The point that I'm trying to make is precisely what you stated - we are not psychologically capable of working together for a greater good because of some dominant faults such as greed and laziness. I'm tired of seeing these nonsensical statements attributing all evils to governments, when governments are just a subset of an evil called 'mankind'. 
    Sad but seems to be the case, Ben
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    unsung said:

I hate to sound so pessimistic, I really do, I just see this as the unwavering trend in all the history books: an opportunist saw an opportunity, and seized it with irreverence for the community at large. 

EV
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    unsung said:

I hate to sound so pessimistic, I really do, I just see this as the unwavering trend in all the history books: an opportunist saw an opportunity, and seized it with irreverence for the community at large. 
    It's not pessimistic, it's realistic. That's human psychology. We, as a society, are gradually and slowly getting more humane due to the efforts of many people, but we will never be rid of those who take advantage, because those traits can confer a competitive advantage genetically. Even if many of the ruthless risk takers die young for entirely self-inflicted reasons, there will always be enough who survive to perpetuate those traits. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Since this (so far anyway) seems to be our 4th of July thread, I'll point something out here that is meant to be more positive than it may sound.

Many Americans will celebrate this day by firing up the barbecue. The article linked below states that,

"Roughly eighty percent of American households own barbecues or smokers, according to the Hearth, Patio, and Barbecue Association. Let’s say all 92.5 million of them decide to grill on Saturday. A 2013 study by HPBA found that 61 percent of users opted for gas grills, 42 percent for charcoal, and 10 percent for electric (some respondents had multiple grills). If that reflected all households across the United States, and each household used itd grill for an hour on the 4th of July, then we’d get a calculation like this:

(56.425M gas grills*5.6 pounds of CO2) + (38.85M charcoal grills*11 pounds CO2) + (9.25M electric grills*15 pounds CO2 ) = 882 million pounds of CO2."

http://www.motherjones.com/food/2015/07/your-grills-smoky-truth/

And then there are fireworks.  Another article (also linked) states:

"Fireworks on the Fourth of July dramatically increase air pollution, boosting exposure to potentially dangerous pollutants for millions of onlookers, according to a recent study in the journal Atmospheric Environment."When people think of air pollution, they think of other kinds of things—smoke stacks, automobile exhaust pipes, construction sites," says study author Dian J. Seidel, senior scientist for climate measurements at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). "I don’t think most people think of fireworks."

http://time.com/3943702/fourth-of-july-fireworks-pollution/

I'm not suggesting we should not celebrate the 4th of July or even necessarily that everyone should desist from the above rituals, but maybe by simply pointing out some facts, some of might consider ways to celebrate the holiday in ways that are less polluting.  After all, doing things differently and better is a part of being independent.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Trump supporters went apeshit on social media yesterday after NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence in observance of the holiday. They misread it as a socialist act of treason that called for acts of organized violence against their grand wizard supreme leader president.

"Outside is America."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dankind said:
    Trump supporters went apeshit on social media yesterday after NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence in observance of the holiday. They misread it as a socialist act of treason that called for acts of organized violence against their grand wizard supreme leader president.

"Outside is America."
    So what you're saying is that they didn't even recognize the declaration as such? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2017
    dankind said:

"Outside is America."
    So what you're saying is that they didn't even recognize the declaration as such? 
    Exactly! Tweets and entire Twitter accounts were thereafter deleted upon being made aware of just how fucking stupid and undeserving of the very air they breathe through their slack mouths they are.

While their social media presences have been improved or destroyed, these knuckle-dragging goons unfortunately are still with us. And they can still vote. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I've seen more post/comment on social media about fireworks then I ever remember.  From animal lovers who don't want you to disrespect their dogs to now Brian who wants to stop pollution.  And then Brian wants to take away everyones grill....guess we will eat raw meat.

Of course - we could skip meat all together and just eat organic veggies but then again, that has a higher Carbon footprint than conventional farming....so stop all organic production as well!!!

Ok - I'm mostly joking.  But c'mon....you are seriously worried about the environmental impact of grilling?

hippiemom = goodness
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2017
    ^^^
    I contribute pollution offsets naturally and almost free.   I eat grilled burgers from slaughtered cows. It's cheap to do and it is one less cow methaning the planet to death. 

^^^
    I contribute pollution offsets naturally and almost free.   I eat grilled burgers from slaughtered cows. It's cheap to do and it is one less cow methaning the planet to death. 

Twisted logic,

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    ^^^

Twisted logic,
    But tasty.
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    ^^^

Twisted logic,
    But tasty.
    Like a pretzel! :wink:

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    brianlux said:
    ^^^

Twisted logic,
    Bri I found your song ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACxfKB3iP4
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    ^^^

Twisted logic,
    Bri I found your song ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACxfKB3iP4
    OUCH!! :lol:

I envy the willpower of vegans-- but not their lame rapping! Old f*ckers should never try rapping.  And definitely not vegans!  :lol:

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2017
    ^^^
    That is wack. Ha, ha

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Happy fourth everyone!! I ll be poolside all day long.  Stay safe and enjoy.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......