Options

What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Never heard of that but I feel the same.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,120
    Dave Franco = Frank Stallone
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    This looks dumb as hell and I can't wait to watch it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G73d-9BZ3bg
    I don't even think that looks dumb. It just looks fantastic, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I'd watch Alison Brie chew gum.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Neon Demon

I have an idea of what the director was aiming for, but he failed miserably.
    Pretentious crap.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    edited June 2017
    Cars 3... really good movie! My 3 year old and I had a great time :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,844
    Jaws :sunglasses:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The Monster

Pretty damn good movie. Excellent acting by the two female leads, esp by the younger actress.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    "Jackass".  I don't know why- I guess just because I had heard about it so long.  About 5% of it was funny.  About 10% actually pissed me off- the parts that could have caused hearing damaged to unsuspecting innocent bystanders. The rest- I don't know what to say but dumb.   I was so tired and beat tonight I wasn't going to get anything constructive done anyway.  Ho hum.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I sat through Suicide Squad again last night. I saw it on a plane in December and was really disappointed but I decided to give it another shot now that it's premiered on TV. It was still shit.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The Neon Demon

Pretentious crap.
    This was only in the theaters (least near me) for only a few weeks.  Heard it was ok.  Wasn't the director the same guy who directed "Drive" from a few years ago starring Ryan Gossling?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    The Great Gatsby.
    It was OK, not the best Baz Luhrrmann film
  • Options
    GLOW: The Story of The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

So after just finishing the Netflix version (which was very good and funny by the way), checked out the documentary of the original GLOW. I didn't even know there was a documentary about it until a few days ago.  Pretty insightful.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I rented The Founder last night on iTunes.  Great cast!  Nick Offerman as Dick McDonald was freakin' excellent.  Michael Keaton was wonderful as always.  John Lynch, Linda Cardellini, Laura Dern, Patrick Wilson, & BJ Novak round out the all-star cast.  I worked at McDonald's through college (and honestly it's the most fun job I've ever had) so getting to see this story played out Hollywood-style was quite nostalgic.  And for the most part, it stayed true to the history of how the restaurant began and grew under Kroc.  An excellent cast of characters and entertaining throughout.
  • Options
    Dead Silence (2007)

For a movie about haunted/possessed ventriloquist dummies, it's actually not bad at all, lol.  
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    The Neon Demon

Pretentious crap.
    This was only in the theaters (least near me) for only a few weeks.  Heard it was ok.  Wasn't the director the same guy who directed "Drive" from a few years ago starring Ryan Gossling?
    Yes, same guy. Great movie, i really enjoyed it in the cinema last year
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    All Eyez On Me. Was good!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    The Blind Side.  :sleepy:
    Another "White People Solve Racism" movie.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Chopping Mall (1986)
    80's Mall,  teens, robots, death and boobies.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,120
    Young Guns 2

was on Sundance a few nights ago

Loved it as a kid...holds up pretty good
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Haha. I didn't actually see it as a white people solving racism movie at all. I don't think there were really any racial issues that she was solving, do you?? It is a white people helping/saving black people movie I guess, lol.
    The thing about this movie, though, is that it is a completely true story, so it hard to criticize the storyline, especially since the real guy absolutely loves his adopted mom to death, apparently. Also, are white people not allowed to help black kids now, without being insulted for it or eight-balled into the "oh great, more white people helping out the blacks, yawn!" corner? I am not so sure that's fair, but negative feelings towards that theme certainly are a potent commentary about the state of racial affairs in America.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haha. I didn't actually see it as a white people solving racism movie at all. I don't think there were really any racial issues that she was solving, do you?? It is a white people helping/saving black people movie I guess, lol.
    The thing about this movie, though, is that it is a completely true story, so it hard to criticize the storyline, especially since the real guy absolutely loves his adopted mom to death, apparently. Also, are white people not allowed to help black kids now, without being insulted for it or eight-balled into the "oh great, more white people helping out the blacks, yawn!" corner? I am not so sure that's fair, but negative feelings towards that theme certainly are a potent commentary about the state of racial affairs in America.
    I know it's a true story.  It's clear that the family genuinely loves each other and I enjoyed seeing the actual photos of them during the end credits.  I read that Michael Oher didn't like how he was portrayed in the film, as a passive, simplistic person.  I also read that his adoptive sister dropped out of some of her advance placement classes so that she could enroll in the same classes as Michael and help him with his homework.  To me, that speaks to a caring family; I don't know why it wasn't in the film.

I guess White People Solve Racism is my term for a story where white people come to the rescue.  Not a bad theme in a story but a little overused.  Put it like this:  If an affluent African-American family had adopted him and transformed his life, the story would be just as compelling.  But would somebody make a feel-good movie about that?  Probably not.  Audiences like to see characters overcoming something.  Michael overcomes his painful childhood; his adoptive parents overcome the prejudices of the people around them.  (Remember the friend who chides the mom about having a black teenage boy in the same home as her pretty teenage daughter?)

As for the state of racial affairs in the U.S., well, we don't talk about race enough.  Not openly and honestly with members of other races.  So I'm fine with white people helping black kids.  It just usually isn't so cut and dried.  We have a long way to go with race relations in this country.  I can remember people actually saying in 2009 that America didn't have racial prejudice anymore because we'd elected a black president.  Seriously.  I think events around the country during the last 2-3 years have demonstrated that we still have a long way to go.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Prom Night(1980)
    Canada's try at the slasher genre.
    Jaime Lee Curtis looking damn fine after Halloween
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Baby Driver

Kick ass movie and soundtrack. Also great cast with Kevin spacey, Jaime foxx,  negan and flea!

edit: ok i thought negan (walking dead) was in the movie but it wasn't him. The guy who played Buddy in the movie looks just like him though.
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    last half of Collateral
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    With kids:  the secret life of pets.  Good kid movie.

without kids:  boondock saints. Oldie but goodie.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    Insidious 3
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Baby Driver

Kick ass movie and soundtrack. Also great cast with Kevin spacey, Jaime foxx,  negan and flea!

edit: ok i thought negan (walking dead) was in the movie but it wasn't him. The guy who played Buddy in the movie looks just like him though.
    Planning on seeing this soon. The casting looks superb. 

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Hateful Eight

Tried watching Dr. Strange but I think I'm over comic book movies until they can come up with something outside the generic story arc.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

Wonder Woman - Was not expecting it to be great, but had seen mostly positive reviews, so thought I'd give it a go. After being mainly disappointed with most Super Hero flicks since the batman trilogy finished (Deadpool and Logan are the only ones I've really enjoyed in the last few years), it was nice to enjoy Wonder Woman. Very solid cast and decent story line.

Split - Really enjoyed this. Easily one of M Night's better efforts in recent times. James McAvoy was excellent

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014