Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    New song with Promise of the Real is up.

https://youtu.be/kQOPTnxsgKo

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    goldrush said:

I love Neil, but what's he on about this time? 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Not sure about this one, Neil...
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Not his best ever but he's still doing it.  I hope I'm still doing what I do in my 70's!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

If you're of Facebook check out Neil's page.  Cool little video of him and (help out here, forgot the young man's name) talking about their new song, wishing everyone well.  Fun stuff!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    goldrush said:

That was bad. 

:)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Just recently bought Mirrorball and I'm really digging it!!!

My favourite tracks are Act of Love, Big Green Country, Scenery and Downtown, which is so far my favourite off the album. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Love Mirroball.
    Throw Your Hatred down and I'm the ocean are probably my favs from that one but lots of good songs. 
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I'm the Ocean is probably my favorite Neil song - Ragged Glory is my favorite Neil album - here's the goto on that album for me :)

https://youtu.be/l3PV8rDez5c

I'm the Ocean is probably my favorite Neil song - Ragged Glory is my favorite Neil album - here's the goto on that album for me :)

https://youtu.be/l3PV8rDez5c

Oh man, yeah!  One of my very favorites!

Old Ways is a pretty nice record. Never bothered with it when younger. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2017
    goldrush said:

That was bad. 

Lol, it's terrible. It does remind me a lot of what they were doing for The Monsanto Years, but it's much, much, much worse, lol. Does Neil still smoke weed? I feel like he and the band might have been super high when they decided this should be made public. :lol: I do rather enjoy that Neil don't give a shit though. He's obviously at the point where he'll just release whatever the fuck he feels like releasing - money is clearly not the object if this is what these guys are putting out, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

That was bad. 

Lol, it's terrible. It does remind me a lot of what they were doing for The Monsanto Years, but it's much, much, much worse, lol. Does Neil still smoke weed? I feel like he and the band might have been super high when they decided this should be made public. :lol: I do rather enjoy that Neil don't give a shit though. He's obviously at the point where he'll just release whatever the fuck he feels like releasing - money is clearly not the object if this is what these guys are putting out, haha.
    Ok so I was with you guys, gave it a listen and thought, "Ouch, this really sucks."  But upon listen number six or so... I'm kinda digging it.  I really enjoyed Living with War and it reminds me of that.  Yes the simplicity of those lyrics is cringe-worthy, but I can get behind a healthy dose of empowering positivity, and am a sucker for that charging electric guitar/quiet orchestral back n' forth.  Heh, probably won't be going back to this song months from now, but today it's floating my boat.  Just glad we have Neil in the world, still doing his thing.
    adusick said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

That was bad. 

Ok so I was with you guys, gave it a listen and thought, "Ouch, this really sucks."  But upon listen number six or so... I'm kinda digging it.  I really enjoyed Living with War and it reminds me of that.  Yes the simplicity of those lyrics is cringe-worthy, but I can get behind a healthy dose of empowering positivity, and am a sucker for that charging electric guitar/quiet orchestral back n' forth.  Heh, probably won't be going back to this song months from now, but today it's floating my boat.  Just glad we have Neil in the world, still doing his thing.
    Amen to that!

(Tim Rogers)
    How much difference is it to the audio mix of his first solo record - original release to the remix he did for the second(?) printing?

(his first solo record is secretly his most magic record)
    goldrush said:
    adusick said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

That was bad. 

Amen to that!
    X 3 !!

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    adusick said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

That was bad. 

Amen to that!
    X 3 !!
    Yeah, x 4. Neil's da bomb. I couldn't care less if he just throws shit out to see what sticks. It's actually part of his charm now, even when the thing he threw out sucks, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Just noticed that Neil's website has been taken down. The homepage is now just the Children of Destiny video with links to buy it, and a link to his Store. Hopefully that means a revamp building up to a new round of Archives releases... 
    I can't remember the last time I actually got any Neil news from his website. The 'NY Times' and 'Living With War' pages hadn't been updated in years.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Just noticed that Neil's website has been taken down. The homepage is now just the Children of Destiny video with links to buy it, and a link to his Store. Hopefully that means a revamp building up to a new round of Archives releases... 
    I can't remember the last time I actually got any Neil news from his website. The 'NY Times' and 'Living With War' pages hadn't been updated in years.
    Which is a bummer!  I enjoyed reading the NY Times!  I hope the old guy is doing OK!

• Feel sad no one commented on Grey Riders when I posted it :/

Anyways, 

What songs by Neil Young do you think are the most underrated or forgotten?
    edited August 2017
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    Which is a bummer!  I enjoyed reading the NY Times!  I hope the old guy is doing OK!
    I think he's just winding down some of his work so he can spend more time with Darryl Hannah. He probably understands that he's scored big time with her, lol.
    Seriously though, everyone keeps expressing concern for Neil, but he seems perfectly fine. He's simply easing up on the work, which is normal for his age, especially after a divorce plus a new relationship plus his music shenanigans. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • So is the album releasing on the 4th?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Don't think so.
    edited August 2017
    Feel sad no one commented on Grey Riders when I posted it :/

Anyways, 

Honest answer- doesn't do it for me.  Like most of his work with International Harvesters, well done, just not on my list of Neil favorites.  But that's not a put down.  I never disparage any of Young's work. 

I think every Neil fan must have some songs they like that seem "underrated" to their ears.  I can understand why some like one thing while someone else doesn't-- we all hear differently (which is why I don't believe in the term "bad" music). 

So one of my lost favorites is "Goin' Home for the "Are You Passionate" LP.  Here's the Horse doing it live (this live version blows me away!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJzDh9nOTg

Post edited by brianlux on

• brianlux said:

Anyways, 

Honest answer- doesn't do it for me.  Like most of his work with International Harvesters, well done, just not on my list of Neil favorites.  But that's not a put down.  I never disparage any of Young's work. 

I think every Neil fan must have some songs they like that seem "underrated" to their ears.  I can understand why some like one thing while someone else doesn't-- we all hear differently (which is why I don't believe in the term "bad" music). 

So one of my lost favorites is "Goin' Home for the "Are You Passionate" LP.  Here's the Horse doing it live (this live version blows me away!):

Are You Passionate is a really strong album. My first show was his Sweden show at The Globe Arena in 2001. Black Crowes opening.
    Fifth song was Going Home :)

https://youtu.be/g6BnZyflNVE?t=25m44s

brianlux said:

Anyways, 

Are You Passionate is a really strong album. My first show was his Sweden show at The Globe Arena in 2001. Black Crowes opening.
    Fifth song was Going Home :)

https://youtu.be/g6BnZyflNVE?t=25m44s

Nice!  :plus_one:

• Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Just saw Neil's Facebook page update. The previously unreleased 1976 album Hitchhiker is now available for pre order. 
    Chris1401 said:
    Just saw Neil's Facebook page update. The previously unreleased 1976 album Hitchhiker is now available for pre order. 
    Sweet! There was a feeling for a while that he may have pulled it from release (again). 
    So happy to see there's an official date for it now. :)

(Tim Rogers)