The Pizza Thread

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    There will always be a place for frozen pizza in a pizza discussion. It will never be the best pizza. It likely may never even be good pizza. But, at 2:30am when you stumble in from the bar and it's that or Dominoes, frozen pizza has its moment. I usually keep a Digiorno or a Frescetta in the freezer for just such an occasion.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    F Me, you know it! - and with my fellow LA Woman :)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    my favorite pizza in my old home town, worthington, ohio. I love the nearly burnt pepperoni. I have been known to eat there twice a day when I visit.

Where is that, Rob?  Next time I'm in Columbus I'm gonna have to head up the Olentangy and try it out.

a place called villa nova....high street on the south edge of worthington. great food!

F'me....squares, not strips....makes it easy to say "maybe just one more piece." :smiley:
    $12.50 for a large.  Affordable!
    Looked through the Yelp and the pepp does look delicious time after time.

The Hawaiian is a crime against fucking pizza humanity however.  (Every version of that pizza is, ugggh.)

I don't know what the hell that thing is - a sandwich without a bun?

With that said, I LOVE a good Hawai'ian style pizza.  But whatever that is, it certainly isn't one.
    Wobbie said:

a place called villa nova....high street on the south edge of worthington. great food!

F'me....squares, not strips....makes it easy to say "maybe just one more piece." :smiley:
    Awesome, thanks!  I'll give it a shot next time I'm out that way.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yum, pizza! 
    Just give me a slice that doesn't wilt and flop more than a napkin and I'm a happy camper.
    Any toppings, all toppings, plain old pep and cheese.
    Chicago style, thin crust, pan crust, brick oven, buffalo, barbeque, Alfredo, Philly, Hawaiian, taco, PB&J
    Yes please.

NY style.... I'll eat it, I mean, by technicality it is pizza, but give me something substantial please.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I usually have a frozen pizza or two in the icebox for those late night moments.  Home from the bar, up all night playing video games, etc.  Those cardboard lords come in clutch at times like that.  The supermarket chain we have in this area usually has their store brand frozen pizzas on sale 2/$7 or 3/$10 and honestly they are the best ones I've found in the frozen section.  Thin or self-rising crusts, don't skimp on toppings, and actually have decent toppings/styles to pick from.

Had a crab pizza last night at my Thursday night spot.  Real lump crab meat, onions, Old Bay white sauce, mozzarella & cream cheese blend.  Shit was the bomb!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    This thread went to shit real quick... Uhg...

I can tell whom isn't accustomed to eating good pizza...  PB&J on a pie?  Dear lord man. 
    Pizza story!

So my GF and I were in Baton Rouge and she said "I want pizza".  Living in NY this is an easy task.  Being in Louisiana not so much.

So we go out to a "pizza place" not a parlor or restaurant.  We order a pizza.  We make it through a 1/2 a slice each and put it down and leave thoroughly dissatisfied.  The paper plates they were served on would have tasted better sans a little red pepper and grated cheese.  We left to go eat Cajun instead.

New rule when we travel:  Under no circumstances will we order pizza outside of NY ever again unless it's Chicago, they made an interesting pie called a deep dish.  Good sauce, lots of cheese, awful crust but good.  Never ordered pizza again on any of our trips.  There is something to be said about NY pizza.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    Yum, pizza! 
    Just give me a slice that doesn't wilt and flop more than a napkin and I'm a happy camper.
    Chicago style, thin crust, pan crust, brick oven, buffalo, barbeque, Alfredo, Philly, Hawaiian, taco, PB&J
    Yes please.

NY style.... I'll eat it, I mean, by technicality it is pizza, but give me something substantial please.

You, my friend, are wrong. Deep dish is trash. Basically a dessert pie with tomato sauce.

Gimme a greasy slice on a paper plate any day of the week

I know I said Philly pizza is trash, but I had a couple slices of this yesterday and it is banging

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I usually have a frozen pizza or two in the icebox for those late night moments.  Home from the bar, up all night playing video games, etc.  Those cardboard lords come in clutch at times like that.  The supermarket chain we have in this area usually has their store brand frozen pizzas on sale 2/$7 or 3/$10 and honestly they are the best ones I've found in the frozen section.  Thin or self-rising crusts, don't skimp on toppings, and actually have decent toppings/styles to pick from.

Had a crab pizza last night at my Thursday night spot.  Real lump crab meat, onions, Old Bay white sauce, mozzarella & cream cheese blend.  Shit was the bomb!
    Sounds good but this is the most Maryland thing ever written
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Glad I am not the only asshole that burns frozen pizza at 3 AM, hammered off my ass.

Cliffy that looks good...and if it is good pizza that paper plate will have a stain on it. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Sounds good but this is the most Maryland thing ever written
    :smiley:
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Pizza story!

So my GF and I were in Baton Rouge and she said "I want pizza".  Living in NY this is an easy task.  Being in Louisiana not so much.

So we go out to a "pizza place" not a parlor or restaurant.  We order a pizza.  We make it through a 1/2 a slice each and put it down and leave thoroughly dissatisfied.  The paper plates they were served on would have tasted better sans a little red pepper and grated cheese.  We left to go eat Cajun instead.

New rule when we travel:  Under no circumstances will we order pizza outside of NY ever again unless it's Chicago, they made an interesting pie called a deep dish.  Good sauce, lots of cheese, awful crust but good.  Never ordered pizza again on any of our trips.  There is something to be said about NY pizza.
    New Jersey is just as good bud!

peanut butter on pizza?! Wtf. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    This thread went to shit real quick... Uhg...

I can tell whom isn't accustomed to eating good pizza...  PB&J on a pie?  Dear lord man. 
    You don't like PB&J? 

Obviously it doesn't really count as a pizza. 
    edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    Yum, pizza! 
    Yes please.

You, my friend, are wrong. Deep dish is trash. Basically a dessert pie with tomato sauce.

I know I said Philly pizza is trash, but I had a couple slices of this yesterday and it is banging

Thin and crispy is awesome.
    Thick and chewy is great.

Thin and chewy?  Nope, not getting the appeal.  Even with the best sauce and cheese, a limp and floppy crust without any biteability isn't appealing to those off the east cost who aren't pizza-indoctrinated!
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Yum, pizza! 
    Yes please.

Thin and chewy?  Nope, not getting the appeal.  Even with the best sauce and cheese, a limp and floppy crust without any biteability isn't appealing to those off the east cost who aren't pizza-indoctrinated!
    Ask for it "well done".  I don't like it when the place is busy and they pull the pies out too early.  soggy/chewy isn't good.
    Another pizza story!

I moved to Cali when I was 17.  My brother, sister and I wanted a pizza so we called the local establishment aptly named "The Pizza Factory" with the slogan of  "we toss em' they're awesome"...

We have eaten at this place before and realized the only way it was palatable is to load up the toppings.  So, I call up.

"Pizza factory, we toss em they're awesome, how may I help you?"

"Hi, I'd like to order a large pie" 

"I'm sorry sir we don't make those." 

"You don't make those?  What don't you make?"

"Pies sir.  You asked for a large pie.  We don't make those."

" You've never heard of a pizza called a pie before?"

"no sir"

"OK, I'd like to order a large "pizza"...

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    :lol:

I was going to make kicking chicken tonight but now have pizza on the fucking brain.  May have to do that.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    rgambs said:
    Yum, pizza! 
    Yes please.

Lorenzo's?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Yum, pizza! 
    Yes please.

Ask for it "well done".  I don't like it when the place is busy and they pull the pies out too early.  soggy/chewy isn't good.
    Next time, I will.
    Perhaps I should not give up on NY pizza yet.

Glad I am not the only asshole that burns frozen pizza at 3 AM, hammered off my ass.

Cliffy that looks good...and if it is good pizza that paper plate will have a stain on it
    :whistle:
    I had a PB+J pizza in Ft Collins at a marijuana themed sandwich shop and it was chronic.
    Not infused with cannabis, not a sloppy preservative mess, just an excellent soft dough with warm homemade peanut butter and homemade blueberry jelly.
    If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I prefer the thin crust NY style.  

Not sure why people are snobs on deep crust.  You can't just state that deep dish is cow manure if you claim to be a pizza lover.  That is insane and deifies pizza and taste bud logic.  It is cheesy goodness that will shorten your life 3.5 years faster then NY style.  But it is pizza 

edited June 2017
    I like some crunch to my crust, yet at the same time don't want to feel I'm eating sauce and cheese on Melba Toast.

(bet none of you young'uns know what that is =) )

Wolfgang Puck had THE best frozen pizza by the way.

As to deep-dishing it (and I pray this isn't an Urban Dic term) - I will gladly take the cheese but what's supporting it better be well-qualified.

*edit - I caved and checked UD.  Deep-dishing is a term alright.  Please do not look it up.  Seriously.
    Post edited by hedonist on
    Hahahahahaha.
    I have a new term in the bag if vulgarity.  Deep Dishing It.

Plate stains are excellent ;)

I feel that some deep dish might be ok but Lou's blew me up.  To hell with that stuff.  If I ordered it again I could just save time and throw it straight into the toilet.
    Ordered three pies.  One margarita, one pepp, one cheese.  Lots of freezer food.  
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    I do not recall the name of the place, but the absolute best pizza I have ever eaten was in Piazza Dante in Verona, Italy.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    There is a new-ish place nearby that I must try. Pizza looks delizioso!

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    my favorite pizza in my old home town, worthington, ohio. I love the nearly burnt pepperoni. I have been known to eat there twice a day when I visit.

Where is that, Rob?  Next time I'm in Columbus I'm gonna have to head up the Olentangy and try it out.

I like to make my own pizza. It has the perfect thin and crispy crust, and whatever toppings I please. When I've had however many pieces I can fit in, I always cut one last, thin slice - the "micro slice" I call it. The pizza version of the wafer thin mint.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I have a pizza story too. Once, when i was a teenager, I made pizzas with pepperoni. I was hungry and couldn't resist cutting a piece and taking a bite as soon as they came out of the oven. A chunk of cheese and pepperoni slid over the crust as I took a bite and flopped down as I pulled the crust away, hitting my face. I ended up with a circular, pepperoni-sized burn on my chin. 

Eventually it healed. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf