Small Business and Minimum Wage

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    fife said:
    another question, if there was no minimum wage would a company hire more people or just keep the profit?
    If they paid $1 per hour would anyone work for them?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited June 2017
    A min wage only handicaps the worker.

No min wage means the market sets the price.

McDonalds has employees working for min wage, whatever it is ($10 for sake of this discussion).
     McDonalds is fulfilling their obligation to the wage rate set by government.  People are willing to work for that because they know that someone will take the job and McDonalds won't pay more for the same reason.

If no min wage existed McDonalds would be forced to pay what the market will bear.  If everyone stuck together for $12 then you'd get $12.  

I would still prefer to eliminate the income tax instead of raising the min wage.  Govt wants min wage raised because it would mean more revenue for govt through more taxes taken.  I prefer a person keep what they earn.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    edited June 2017
    unsung said:

McDonalds has employees working for min wage, whatever it is ($10 for sake of this discussion).
     McDonalds is fulfilling their obligation to the wage rate set by government.  People are willing to work for that because they know that someone will take the job and McDonalds won't pay more for the same reason.

If no min wage existed McDonalds would be forced to pay what the market will bear.  If everyone stuck together for $12 then you'd get $12.  

I would still prefer to eliminate the income tax instead of raising the min wage.  Govt wants min wage raised because it would mean more revenue for govt through more taxes taken.  I prefer a person keep what they earn.
    Ridiculous.  Plenty of places pay above minimum wage due to demand.  That's not a handicap to the worker.

The minimum wage prevents businesses from taking advantage of workers.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:

the market setting the price also means the job goes to the lowest bidder, which is why we have minimum wages in the first place. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

This is operating under the demonstrably false (and laughable) premise that the market has magical powers.

Why did starvation wages dominate before minimum wages were introduced?  Why didn't the magical market set reasonable prices??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

I'm surprised you're a union guy.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    fife said:
    brianlux said:
    fife said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I stand by what I've said earlier.  There needs to be some flexibility in wages, not a one size fits all.  Working full-time for a corporation?  Yes, a living wage is appropriate.  High school kid working part-time at your local used book store to make some extra cash for those summer camping trips?  You don't need a higher minimum wage and we can't afford to give it to you so we grow old working longer hours and, sorry, you get fewer.

Think outside that puny box, America.
    100%. depends on the business, their net worth, etc, etc. 
    True, and that seems to vary a lot.  We're seeing small businesses in our twon either struggle or do great.  The independent restaurants in town are the ones doing great.  Sadly, independent bookstore's values have plummeted. I'm not sure you can give one away these days.  :lol:
    I think book stores in general values has gone down with the advent of ereaders and less people reading. this is the reason why when you go to places like Chapters or Indigo (do they have indigo in the usa?) who have moved strickly from selling books to have other things just as house wear in their stores
    I'm not aware of any Indigo stores in the U.S. but there may be.

E-readers and fewer people reading are part of the reason bookstores are struggling but so are slave shops like Amazon and the fact that anyone with a computer and a closet can now become a "book seller" (albeit, too often run by people who know little about literature).  Add to that the fact that more and more people want everything quickly and easily. 

Still, there are those who love to browse, who enjoy the feel smell and tactile sense of a good book and who appreciate the interaction and sense of a community  that browsing in a neighborhood bookstore affords.  If we survive, we may become a last relic of nostalgia or hold the same quaint curiosity young people have for vinyl records. Or we may be the last dinosaurs of our ilk.
    I hope you are not a relic, still go to bookstores about 1 or 2 times a week.  have a good relationship with a bookstore in Toronto who orders books for me that are hard to find. 

here is a question for people, if you knew a store that was giving their employees a living wage, would you be more partial to shop there or no even if it meant that their price was abit more expensive?  
    Yes, I would be more inclined to shop there, assuming of course that the store is a good one and has items I want to buy. For bookstores in particular, price isn't one of the factors I consider. I look for things like selection, a layout that makes for pleasurable browsing, helpful staff, and a comfortable space. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    And sorry, Brian, but I order on Amazon if I'm sending a book as a gift. Much easier than going to the store, then wrapping it, then going to the post office. But otherwise I much prefer independent bookstores. 
    jeffbr said:
    fife said:
    unsung said:
    Well, if you believe that government should set pricing and wages for private companies then we obviously have different models.

Can you please still explain why you are against a minimum wage?  and yes I do believe that the government should set wages for private companies. 

Are you really proposing that the government (who is really doing a stellar job with the healthcare industry), be put in charge of determining all wages and prices in the private sector? What could possibly go wrong? Luckily we don't have any influence peddling going on in D.C., so I'm sure they'd do a fair and objective job (in secret, behind closed doors, providing their biggest donors with the highest wages and prices).

Sorry, but that would be one of the nuttier things I could imagine we'd want to do here. Our government is run by a bunch of incompetent boobs. I would never cede that sort of power and responsibility to such an inept bunch of crooks.

Set the minimum, I'm assuming; not things like wage bands for different positions. 
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Why?  I just said I support the group to be able to stick together to determine the working wage.  That is exactly what a union is.

Association would exist without government involvement.
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:

This is operating under the demonstrably false (and laughable) premise that the market has magical powers.

Why did starvation wages dominate before minimum wages were introduced?  Why didn't the magical market set reasonable prices??
    The market set a price.  People still chose to work at that price.
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:

As desperate people will do, and some businesses will take advantage of that. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:

Show me anywhere where this actually occurs.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    You have people willing to work for a wage, yet insist that they should not.

Would you prefer they be on welfare, or starve?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    unsung said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Why?  I just said I support the group to be able to stick together to determine the working wage.  That is exactly what a union is.

Association would exist without government involvement.

You need to read up on the Wobblies and how and why they came into existence. "If everyone stuck together" assumes you wouldn't have intimidation and threats of death from big business, like that's never happened before.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    unsung said:

I would prefer a universal basic income, which is neither
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited June 2017
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Close the borders, end all other welfare first Zuck.  

Why do you want to remove all incentive for people to achieve?

Why not just end the income tax and let people keep what they earn?
    Post edited by unsung on
    Govt can't handle funding social security, now you want to expand that to all ages.
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Strangely, and mysteriously, many people achieve in the US, and some people are even in favour of social programs that help others for whom circumstances such as poor health prevent them from attaining that same high level of achievement. I wonder how on earth they do that if there is no incentive?
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

But we get a good look at why there has never been a functional libertarian government. "Close the borders" and "end income tax" - both very workable solutions.
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

But we get a good look at why there has never been a functional libertarian government. "Close the borders" and "end income tax" - both very workable solutions.
    Yeah, because paying everyone to sit at home on their ass and get paid for it and then get fat so they need more expensive healthcare makes so much sense. 

Let's keep open borders with unlimited refugees and throw them in the mix too.

You people are batshit insane.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Yeah, because paying everyone to sit at home on their ass and get paid for it and then get fat so they need more expensive healthcare makes so much sense. 

THEM!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    And sorry, Brian, but I order on Amazon if I'm sending a book as a gift. Much easier than going to the store, then wrapping it, then going to the post office. But otherwise I much prefer independent bookstores. 
    I may bash away at Amazon but I don't berate anyone personally for buying on-line.  I sell some books on line (but just the obscure one's that are unlikely to sell in a brick and mortar).  But might I suggest some sites that more often (but not always) feature better experienced independent sellers?  If so, I would recommend  biblio.com (very cool independent site- my 1st pick where I sell and often my first pick where to buy if it's not in ours or any other stores in our area), AbeBooks.com (but be careful, the cheaper copies of most books there are sold by the same unreliable warehouse sellers on places like Amazon), and Alibris Books.  Any of these will send to the address you choose.  Also take not of seller ratings and how well the describe the book and condition.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

unsung said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Huh. And yet many countries with reasonable and humane practices work quite well, and the number of countries where your suggested practices work well is ...... zero. 
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    jeffbr said:
    fife said:
    unsung said:
    Well, if you believe that government should set pricing and wages for private companies then we obviously have different models.

Can you please still explain why you are against a minimum wage?  and yes I do believe that the government should set wages for private companies. 

Are you really proposing that the government (who is really doing a stellar job with the healthcare industry), be put in charge of determining all wages and prices in the private sector? What could possibly go wrong? Luckily we don't have any influence peddling going on in D.C., so I'm sure they'd do a fair and objective job (in secret, behind closed doors, providing their biggest donors with the highest wages and prices).

Sorry, but that would be one of the nuttier things I could imagine we'd want to do here. Our government is run by a bunch of incompetent boobs. I would never cede that sort of power and responsibility to such an inept bunch of crooks.

sorry should have been more precise.  I do believe that the government should set a basic minimum wage for all compaies to follow.  I didnt say anything about prices.  consumer determine what the price should be by not shopping at a store if it is too expensive.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

Wow, talk about batshit.

Was there a vein popping and foam at the corners of your mouth when you posted this?  
    You are lost in a libertarian fantasy that is so divorced from reality that you think you are the only sane person.
    Good luck with that!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Your reality consists of paying people to do nothing and actually believing that the money won't run out.
    As usual, reality is more complex than libertarians understand it to be.