Options

MERCHANDISING UPDATE FOR EDDIE SICILY SHOWS

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited July 2017 in The Porch
MERCHANDISING UPDATE FOR EDDIE SICILY SHOWS
NEWS JUNE 27 2017
Due to crowd control issues, local authorities shut down merchandise locations at Eddie Vedder’s show at Teatro Antico di Taormina last night. We understand that this was a major inconvenience to our fans. Please know that we did all that we could to remedy the situation in real time, but unfortunately we were unable to reach a resolution.

We’re appreciative of the fans’ patience and understanding that there are challenges when playing non-traditional but special venues.

We would like to extend our sincere apologizes and do our best to make this right.

Updated Merch Locations:
There is a new merchandise stand located outside of the venue for tonight’s show.

We encourage those of you who did not have the opportunity to purchase merchandise last night, or those who would like the opportunity to view and purchase merchandise without carrying it in the venue tonight to use this location.

Hours: The stand is open now until 8:00pm and again after the concert.

We will also have one stand inside of the venue that will be open from doors (7:00pm) until dark.
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Hope everyone was ok. Kudos to 10c for making it right.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    most people still got shut out, will this come back to 10c store

• Options
    one_stoneone_stone Posts: 291
    As I have heard and read lots of angry comments about the situation I'll try to summarize as objectively as possible:

Sicily I was like a mosh pit at the merch stand, the stand itself sometimes was close to collapsing...(probably due to the limited space available for the stand) plus the staff seemed to not be aware what they had in stock (shirt sizes) and partially were confused and slow / overwhelmed with the situation.

Sicily II was a very organized line but after the 10c announcement we were waiting for an hour in line for the open merch stand. The staff then suddenly said they won't sell more posters before 7pm. A few minutes later the stand was suddenly closed at 6:45pm (right before the eyes of some of us, who just reached the front of the line, which led to many angry faces). I think it was partially because the way to the hotel/venue was not free enough because next to us the separate queue for entry started forming. We were told to line up behind the other queue, but many left, because that would have ment waiting about another hour behind people that arrived later than us. When I came back later for entry into the venue, the stand was open again (what I didn't realize: they just moved security check up before the stand - so they made the same stand now the 'indoor' stand. We moved further inside and got our tickets invalidated only to find out there was no second stand inside. No way back out and reentry with the invalidated ticket. After the show we were among the first to get back out and the only shirts still available were XL. Summary: If you were endlessly patient or lucky enough to arrive at the right time you were able to get what you wanted. The above announcement was really well ment but at last added to more confusion. Still cudos for trying to handle it well (and at least partially succeeding) in such a difficult environment.. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Imagine a show without merch... 
    I wonder if we can...
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    edited June 2017
    DeLukin said:
    Hope everyone was ok. Kudos to 10c for making it right.
    I second this, crowd control was an absolute pain on the inside stand night 1. The team has been amazingly kind and patient nonetheless. 

Post edited by Tristelune on
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    Maybe this will lead to merch preorders.  It's beyond stupid that people have to wait in line for hours to get a poster or sticker.  This seems to be the only band where this is the case as well.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    my2hands said:
    I wonder if we can...
    Nothing to flip or buy for
    No pins or stickers, too
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Man the flippers have invaded Italy now. Those poor folks. 
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Make pre-show ticket packages available via fan club/ticketing agent that include merch or a voucher for merch for pickup at a pre-determined location at the show. It's not that difficult, and is already the norm for lots of concerts, conventions, etc.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    my2hands said:
    I wonder if we can...
    Nothing to flip or buy for
    No pins or stickers, too
    LOL

"Imagine all the people
     Enjoying the show in peace (without-worrying-about-their-poster)"
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    To be honest...I have traveled quite a bit in and around Italy...including Sicily.  This sounds like every line that I have ever been in while visiting Italy--hell, a lot of Europe.  Airports are a cluster-f, concert lines are crazy, waiting in line at a restaurant can drive you batty.  I really am against labeling any country with a tag, but it has been my experience in Italy that no one cares about lines, cutting, or barging past you to get what they want.  It always comes as a shock in my first few days there and then you get used to it.....
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    edited June 2017
    To be honest...I have traveled quite a bit in and around Italy...including Sicily.  This sounds like every line that I have ever been in while visiting Italy--hell, a lot of Europe.  Airports are a cluster-f, concert lines are crazy, waiting in line at a restaurant can drive you batty.  I really am against labeling any country with a tag, but it has been my experience in Italy that no one cares about lines, cutting, or barging past you to get what they want.  It always comes as a shock in my first few days there and then you get used to it.....
    Just said almost the exact same thing on a social media post. Every line I was in I was always jostling for position and sticking elbows out so people who were trying to inch ahead could not. Didn't matter what line it was bathroom line, cable car line, airport line, merch line, they were all the same. 

The problem with the merch situation is you have these workers who really do not seem like they give a shit at all. They just want to get their time put in and get out of there. Selling 10 posters to one person should never had happened. (I did meet one worker in Firenze who was actually really good). All you need to do is hire 5 workers. 2 on cash, 2 to grab the merch and one to walk the line to make sure it is in order and no one is cutting in on the sides. Make two single file lines. It's simple. If you have to hire someone that has security experience to watch the line then so be it. If someone is acting up or jumping ahead and causing a security concern throw them out. They are making a killing off of this merchandise it is time to put some money back into it to make it fair for the fans to get a chance at what they want. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    The staff at the merch stands were highly disorganised. First new guy there were three guys covering one side of the stand and one in covering the other side.  I was about two people back when I got in, the guy made three sales in the first 45 minutes I waited there.  With each order, he had to check all the stacks of shirts for the right sizes, he didn't know the prices of the items they were selling, couldn't remember which items he had picked out, had to recheck the sums 3 times and finally had problems using the card machine. This majorly contributed to the whole chaos.
    Second day was better organised, but the line moved just about as slowly as the day before. I was one of those at the front of the line when it was shut down.  Everyone gave different info: stall will be reopened at 7, stall will be moved inside and reopened when doors open, stall will close down until after the show... in any case we can't wait here, we need to join the back of the entry line. 
    All in all a frustrating experience.  Surely there must be better ways to organise this.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    And Americans yet a bad name... we at least know how to stand in a line lol
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    edited June 2017
    my2hands said:
    And Americans yet a bad name... we at least know how to stand in a line lol
    Make no mistake about it this was not just a Europe thing. Plenty of Americans in line as well contributing to the mess. One thing I did find odd though was when the show was over they still had shirts left. No smalls or mediums though lol. In North America they would have been the only ones left. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I can't imagine being in Sicily and wasting any more than five minutes in a merch line. I m in Sicily!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    I can't imagine being in Sicily and wasting any more than five minutes in a merch line. I m in Sicily!!!!
    I kicked myself for doing that in Austin so yes I can't imagine wasting my life like that in Sicily. 

Going to only 1 Pearl Jam show in the last fourteen years still means the vast majority of my PJ experiences do not involve merch
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    The merch line has become part of the concert experience for some....it is the thrill of the hunt.  Obviously some people would rather grab an overpriced beer and sit in their seats waiting for the show to begin (or sit in the parking lot--again drinking beer and hanging out with like minded fans).  While I am not a huge fan of the jostling for position in the merch line, I have to admit that I like the hunt...I have a couple of art portfolio books that are filled with concert posters ranging from Willie Nelson to Temple of the Dog and everything in between.  The other things (stickers, shirts, etc.) don't really float my boat, but I understand that there is a desire to have a tangible item as a memory placeholder for the event....While I am bummed out when I get shut out for a poster, I get over it by the time a settle down into my seat as the concert starts and I am holding an overpriced beer....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    there was merch for the show?i didnt even notice..
    sorry..gelato,canoli,pizza,vino,sex,bikini,beach,friends ,the view and Granita got my attention!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    mcgruff10 said:

Of course.  I would be tracing the steps of a younger Michael Corleone meeting Appolonia while away from New York waiting for the heat to die down.