Stone should do a solo tour.

WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
I searched but didn't see a thread. If this has been discussed plenty(I'm sure it has), I apologise. The search function here had me all over the place.

Looking through the Ed setlists has me wondering why Mr. Gossard doesn't do more solo stuff. He has stated that he writes probably more than anyone else in the band. It's time for him to unleash some of that sweetness on the world. I would pay some real cash to go to a few of his shows. I absolutely dig his solo stuff and even his interesting takes on a few covers. 

Who's with me?

Comments

• RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    I was thinking the same thing only the other day! He was the first to release a solo album donks ago, so I think a gig or two wouldn't hurt it's long overdue!
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'd be happy with another Brad tour...
    I haven't seen Brad since 2010.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    derbydave said:
    That would be excellent too. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    derbydave said:
    I'd love to see them!

And I think Stone solo is an excellent idea.  How else am I ever gonna get Ace of Spades live now that Lemmy is gone?
  • After Pearl Jam finishes a tour w/ their new album, yes.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    After Pearl Jam finishes a tour w/ their new album, yes.
    So in 2 years?
  • kramer73 said:
    So in 2 years?

Sounds good to me.  Pearl Jam needs to stop being watered down by fan requests.  Concentrate on Pearl Jam , release and album and tour. 
    Then Stone can tour if he wishes.

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    derbydave said:
    I'd love to see them!

And I think Stone solo is an excellent idea.  How else am I ever gonna get Ace of Spades live now that Lemmy is gone?
    Funny that he plays it sitting down. 

https://youtu.be/jJvQdz2ANhg
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    kramer73 said:
    So in 2 years?

Sounds good to me.  Pearl Jam needs to stop being watered down by fan requests.  Concentrate on Pearl Jam , release and album and tour. 

Fan requests have prevented them from recording anything the past 4 years? 

They don't concentrate on Pearl Jam because they don't want to. When they do we'll get more shows in large venues and festivals...possibly new music
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    NewJPage said:
    kramer73 said:
    So in 2 years?

They don't concentrate on Pearl Jam because they don't want to. When they do we'll get more shows in large venues and festivals...possibly new music
    And maybe they don't need to, if they have other positive outlets.

As to the fan requests mentioned above.....watered down?  How?  Really, the fuck.  It's not even close.  One of the kindnesses of these gentlemen that cement my respect for them, and among the many that blew me away (and which seem were played out of genuine compassion and love vs. a sense of obligation or cow-towing to...who?), Joshua.  They made this beautiful little boy (and his parents, and us on-lookers/listeners) over the fucking moon.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Stone Gossard is my favorite songwriter of all-time. He's also the person in the band I'd most like to have a conversation with. But with that being said, I just cannot get into his singing voice, it completely ruins any chance I have of enjoy his solo stuff to a high degree. 

So with that in mind my dream tour would be just Stone and Ed, playing all songs that Stone wrote, Ed never touches a guitar. Basically just like at that event they did last week when they played Daughter.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    yep
    danny d
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    Would love to hear songs off Moonlander live. Especially Battle Cry. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    My hope is that Stone would do a Pearl Jam tour first.

That said, I believe he did do a brief solo/side project (not Brad) tour back in 2008. I remember something where the show was powered in part by audience members on stationary bicycles. I wasn't able to attend but I remember him playing Boston and planting trees somewhere in town.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    I saw him play a solo show in a small bar near Seattle in 2004and he was fantastic. I would absolutely go see him solo again! He did play a couple of PJ songs that he had written.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2017
    With Eddie staring to sneak in Pearl Jam songs he hasn't written into his setlists, Stone needs to take them back (and do some Eddie songs). Solo tour with Stone doing Black, Porch and Guaranteed. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Washed said:
    I saw him play a solo show in a small bar near Seattle in 2004and he was fantastic. I would absolutely go see him solo again! He did play a couple of PJ songs that he had written.
    Curious, which ones did he do? Would be really cool hear his versions of them. 

Love Jeff Aments NAIS demo.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Yo I'd go.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    JimmyV said:

That said, I believe he did do a brief solo/side project (not Brad) tour back in 2008. I remember something where the show was powered in part by audience members on stationary bicycles. I wasn't able to attend but I remember him playing Boston and planting trees somewhere in town.
    I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet that everyone here is wishing PJ would tour more. I was just wondering why Stone doesn't do more side stuff when he writes so much. Seems silly to write all that music and leave it on a shelf. I agree with the person above that he is the best songwriter in the band, but I happen to like his singing as well. It isn't groundbreaking, but it suits what he does. 

More Stone please!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JimmyV said:

I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet that everyone here is wishing PJ would tour more. I was just wondering why Stone doesn't do more side stuff when he writes so much. Seems silly to write all that music and leave it on a shelf. I agree with the person above that he is the best songwriter in the band, but I happen to like his singing as well. It isn't groundbreaking, but it suits what he does. 

More Stone please!
    Agreed on all counts.

I wasn't trying to poop on your thread. I just never miss a chance to advocate for a full Pearl Jam tour. =)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

More Stone please!
    Agreed on all counts.

I wasn't trying to poop on your thread. I just never miss a chance to advocate for a full Pearl Jam tour. =)
    I didn't take it that way. I just figured if Ed, Mike and Jeff are always doing their thing why not Stone? I loved Bayleaf and Moonlander. I like Brad a lot too, but they seem far and few between as well.

While I'm at it, Matt always makes interesting stuff too. I know there are plenty of people who disagree, but I dig his songwriting. Pretty much anything these guys put out I can get behind. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RiotZact said:
    Stone Gossard is my favorite songwriter of all-time. He's also the person in the band I'd most like to have a conversation with. But with that being said, I just cannot get into his singing voice, it completely ruins any chance I have of enjoy his solo stuff to a high degree. 

So with that in mind my dream tour would be just Stone and Ed, playing all songs that Stone wrote, Ed never touches a guitar. Basically just like at that event they did last week when they played Daughter.
    we are soul mates, you and me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:
    NewJPage said:
    kramer73 said:
    So in 2 years?

As to the fan requests mentioned above.....watered down?  How?  Really, the fuck.  It's not even close.  One of the kindnesses of these gentlemen that cement my respect for them, and among the many that blew me away (and which seem were played out of genuine compassion and love vs. a sense of obligation or cow-towing to...who?), Joshua.  They made this beautiful little boy (and his parents, and us on-lookers/listeners) over the fucking moon.
    THIS
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Play Cleveland !
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Well @WhatYouTaughtMe, I'll have you know, a few times a week when I interview the band in my truck on my ride to work my first question to Stone is ALWAYS if he will ever solo!!!

:rofl:

No joke. If I ever meet the man, THE MAN, if my brain can even form words, I will ask him if he'll ever solo. My second question is will he ever play Bayleaf live at a PJ gig. And then I would thank him for GIVIN ME NO LIP in Chicago :rock_on: and then I would thank him for fighting for In Hiding and then ........

I could go on :smiley:

I've said it many times before and will continue to never give up hope I'll hear Bayleaf live! Perferably in MI but I'll take any where near the Great Lakes region or Toronto!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Well @WhatYouTaughtMe, I'll have you know, a few times a week when I interview the band in my truck on my ride to work my first question to Stone is ALWAYS if he will ever solo!!!

:rofl:

No joke. If I ever meet the man, THE MAN, if my brain can even form words, I will ask him if he'll ever solo. My second question is will he ever play Bayleaf live at a PJ gig. And then I would thank him for GIVIN ME NO LIP in Chicago :rock_on: and then I would thank him for fighting for In Hiding and then ........

I could go on :smiley:

I've said it many times before and will continue to never give up hope I'll hear Bayleaf live! Perferably in MI but I'll take any where near the Great Lakes region or Toronto!
    https://youtu.be/l9DH2ajUb5c
  • I have to be honest.  I bought the Moonlander vinyl from the shop awhile back. I was excited to spin it but as time passed I am wondering if the only reason I own it is because I thought at the time it would sound like Pearl Jam.  
    So I double down on my thought that Pearl Jam is getting watered down.

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    RiotZact said:

we are soul mates, you and me. 
     ;) 

Just realized that I never really addresssed the point of this thread though, I would be game for a Stone solo tour, it would be really interesting to see how he would do it, even if I'm not the biggest fan of his voice.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

One of the greatest things about the TOTD tour last fall was seeing these musicians outside of the constraints of playing as Pearl Jam. As dynamic, awesome and exciting as PJ is live, it was refreshing to see them stretch their musical legs and explore new material in a live setting. The TOTD songs were amazing in and of themselves, but the cover songs really blew the lid off the place, that was a really special show.

Before seeing this thread, I would have loved to see Stone play a solo tour for the reason I just mentioned.

Now after reading this thread, I also want him to do it just to see people pout over not getting what they want.     

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    hedonist said:
    NewJPage said:
    kramer73 said:
    So in 2 years?

Wtf? Is he referring to Josh?? If he is I won't question how low PJfan will go.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.