Options

Where’s the global outcry for victims of Boko Haram attacks?

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I don't think it's necessarily about what intimidates people so much as what interests them more. That part of the world is pretty much out of sight/out of mind. The media is part of the blame. The rest is just us. We kind of live in our own bubble in the west. Safe and sound, working and shopping. I'm as bad as anyone.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,689
    I don't think it's necessarily about what intimidates people so much as what interests them more. That part of the world is pretty much out of sight/out of mind. The media is part of the blame. The rest is just us. We kind of live in our own bubble in the west. Safe and sound, working and shopping. I'm as bad as anyone.

Interesting, Trophy Man, and I mostly agree. We certainly do live in a bubble. However, the safe and sound part of it may be an illusion, an illusion that has worked well for some time.

I think we should give ourselves some credit here though on AMT. In my life anyway, there is no other setting where I see more people at least trying to get a grasp on current events/state-of-the-world stuff. I've previously worked at and attended variously colleges and in those environments, these topics were discussed frequently but not so much elsewhere. Maybe to a degree at the bookstore but even there a lot of people who come in are more interested in gossip, vampire romance and movie tie-ins than current events. I'd say we're outside the norm here that way.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    brianlux wrote: »

Interesting, Trophy Man, and I mostly agree. We certainly do live in a bubble. However, the safe and sound part of it may be an illusion, an illusion that has worked well for some time.

I think we should give ourselves some credit here though on AMT. In my life anyway, there is no other setting where I see more people at least trying to get a grasp on current events/state-of-the-world stuff. I've previously worked at and attended variously colleges and in those environments, these topics were discussed frequently but not so much elsewhere. Maybe to a degree at the bookstore but even there a lot of people who come in are more interested in gossip, vampire romance and movie tie-ins than current events. I'd say we're outside the norm here that way.

In a good way!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited January 2015
    Human nature controls the news with some propaganda thrown in. Has nothing to do with exposing or informing. Media is interested in one thing, market share, which is then sold to corporations to increase sales. There are niche news channels that slant news to get to certain demographic which changes content but always driven to maximize market share. And yes living in our bubble is known by news and marketers and used to maintain or increase market share. Always about the $$$$. And fuck Wolf Blitzer.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820

just speaking from experience, when I first became a posting member here, I lurked on AMT but never posted. When I saw the banter back and forth between seasoned vets of the train, I didn't want to say anything until I felt I knew enough about the topic to dive in. and even when I did in the beginning, occasionally I get attacked for being the "newbie who knew nothing". I'd say it is this forum (and possibly coincidentally my age as well) is responsible for my interest in world events/affairs.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    paulonious wrote: »

just speaking from experience, when I first became a posting member here, I lurked on AMT but never posted. When I saw the banter back and forth between seasoned vets of the train, I didn't want to say anything until I felt I knew enough about the topic to dive in. and even when I did in the beginning, occasionally I get attacked for being the "newbie who knew nothing". I'd say it is this forum (and possibly coincidentally my age as well) is responsible for my interest in world events/affairs.

It sure is a good place to see what others who follow current events are thinking and a good way to examine our own thoughts. Another thing I like about AMT is it sort of works to consolidate news and current events. I'll frequently run across an item here that someone addresses that I might have missed otherwise. That's very cool.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Paulonious:
    just speaking from experience, when I first became a posting member here, I lurked on AMT but never posted. When I saw the banter back and forth between seasoned vets of the train, I didn't want to say anything until I felt I knew enough about the topic to dive in. and even when I did in the beginning, occasionally I get attacked for being the "newbie who knew nothing". I'd say it is this forum (and possibly coincidentally my age as well) is responsible for my interest in world events/affairs.""

Hahaha I dove right in headfirst a year and a half ago. I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers before I settled in and settled down. Even now though after some thousand of posts (almost exclusively on AMT, the rest of the boards have no life, and the actual Pearl Jam talk is tepid at best) I still like to try and ruffle some feathers now and then, keeps us on our toes. I admire the words of RWE:
    "Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day."
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs wrote: »
    Paulonious:
    just speaking from experience, when I first became a posting member here, I lurked on AMT but never posted. When I saw the banter back and forth between seasoned vets of the train, I didn't want to say anything until I felt I knew enough about the topic to dive in. and even when I did in the beginning, occasionally I get attacked for being the "newbie who knew nothing". I'd say it is this forum (and possibly coincidentally my age as well) is responsible for my interest in world events/affairs.""

Hahaha I dove right in headfirst a year and a half ago. I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers before I settled in and settled down. Even now though after some thousand of posts (almost exclusively on AMT, the rest of the boards have no life, and the actual Pearl Jam talk is tepid at best) I still like to try and ruffle some feathers now and then, keeps us on our toes. I admire the words of RWE:
    "Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day."

Emerson... nice!

Keep ruffling our feathers, rgambs. It's good for us!

• Options
    I am a big Emerson and Thoreau guy, they lived at the place where philosophy and poetry meet. John Muir beat them both at their own game, while living a wilderness life to boot. The passage in one of Muir's books where Emerson comes to the Sierra to meet him is one of my favorites, and is very telling. Emerson is famous and coddled and he allows his entourage to talk him out of climbing or cowboy camping, and Muir never gets a moment alone with him in the Wilds, though Emerson appears to long for a sense of the adventure that was John Muir's life.

The world would be a better place if more people read transcendental literature.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Paulonious:

I remember you posting this quote before, @rgambs, and was left feeling kind of puzzled and unsatisfied about it. To me, it seems to be saying that deeply held convictions and beliefs can be changed almost on a whim and you can argue any position you feel like at the time. Maybe you could fill me in on what you understand it to mean.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Here is the context: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

To me the whole of the quote is a statement on being open to new ideas and remaining elastic mentally. It is a statement, in hard words, on always challenging assumptions and discarding preconceived notions. The transcendentalists were notorious for rambling and approaching ideas from multiple perspectives simultaneously. It makes Walden a tough read for many, and Emerson incomprehensible to some. I'd imagine with the name oftenreading you know what I'm talking about. I don't read anything in it to mean changing on a whim for the sheer sake of change, particularly of deep convictions, but maybe that is exactly what he meant.
    When I pull it out of context I think it makes a nice statement on political correctness and today's irritating habit of avoiding taking a strong stance for fear of backlash or offending those with which you disagree.
  • Options
    With entire networks devoted to news 24/7 you'd think they would report on a wide variety of topics...nope, the same 5 stories (at best) reported to death for 5 hours each
    rr165892 wrote: »
    brianlux wrote: »

In a good way!

These guys aren't that bad. Give them some slack. Look at the kind gesture they just did, geesh, so quick to judge.
    http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL6N0V400320150125
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2015
    Here is the context: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

To me the whole of the quote is a statement on being open to new ideas and remaining elastic mentally. It is a statement, in hard words, on always challenging assumptions and discarding preconceived notions. The transcendentalists were notorious for rambling and approaching ideas from multiple perspectives simultaneously. It makes Walden a tough read for many, and Emerson incomprehensible to some. I'd imagine with the name oftenreading you know what I'm talking about. I don't read anything in it to mean changing on a whim for the sheer sake of change, particularly of deep convictions, but maybe that is exactly what he meant.
    When I pull it out of context I think it makes a nice statement on political correctness and today's irritating habit of avoiding taking a strong stance for fear of backlash or offending those with which you disagree.

Thanks for this. I'll think more on it.

Edit - I meant also to say that the expanded quote helps. I have no doubt I'm misunderstanding him ;) , as it seems he intended.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Slippery bastards Emerson and Thoreau!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    You people are to smart on these here inter webs.Agree with the convo or not it's always a joy to learn something.thx kids
  • Options
    This is just a copy and paste from a newspaper. What are peoples thoughts - does this have merit or not.

"At the Yaounde meeting, U.S. Ambassador Michael S. Hoza said the United States would help in the fight against Boko Haram, though he did not provide details.

Relations between Washington and Nigeria have been strained because the United States has refused to sell Nigeria helicopter gunships and other military weaponry that U.S. law prohibits from being sold to countries whose militaries are accused of gross human rights abuses. The Nigerian military is accused of killing thousands of civilians under state of emergency powers that were declared to curb Boko Haram’s rebellion."
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    this is what harmegedon is for to wipe out the multitudes of those sick people
  • Options
    JWPearl wrote: »
    this is what harmegedon is for to wipe out the multitudes of those sick people

"harmegeddon": hegemony + armageddon. A clever word there, JWP!

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I cannot imagine. Cannot imagine anything they're going through. Running, hiding, starving, having to look their kids in the eye and say "I have no food to feed you go beg for some".

https://newrepublic.com/article/143019/one-meal-day-lake-chad-vanishes-seven-million-people-starvation
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I cannot imagine. Cannot imagine anything they're going through. Running, hiding, starving, having to look their kids in the eye and say "I have no food to feed you go beg for some".

https://newrepublic.com/article/143019/one-meal-day-lake-chad-vanishes-seven-million-people-starvation
    Same here.  I've been through some hard times but this makes my past hard times look like a picnic.  Very sad.