Cork mat or acrylic platter, what say ye?

2»

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I bought a cheap kit from the local record store. Vinyl Styl I think. It has a bottle of cleaning fluid and a brush. Seems to work well. 

There are people who use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You just set the stylus down on the pad and pick it up again. Simple as that. I've heard that they work but haven't tried it myself. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Onzow Zerodust
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    DewieCox said:
    Onzow Zerodust

+1

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    dudeman said:
    I bought a cheap kit from the local record store. Vinyl Styl I think. It has a bottle of cleaning fluid and a brush. Seems to work well. 

There are people who use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You just set the stylus down on the pad and pick it up again. Simple as that. I've heard that they work but haven't tried it myself. 
    I have an LP #9 Stylus Cleaner from Record Research Lab.  I've never been able to fully decipher the confusing instruction sheet though.  For all I know, I've been using it improperly all this time.  I just put some of the fluid on the brush and pull the brush one way, back to fron, a few times.  They say something about decanting some of the fluid to clean contaminants off the bottle brush.  Very confusing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I made a mat today using a Wilson Jones static dissipative table mat. We'll see how well that works. 
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

I have an LP #9 Stylus Cleaner from Record Research Lab.  I've never been able to fully decipher the confusing instruction sheet though.  For all I know, I've been using it improperly all this time.  I just put some of the fluid on the brush and pull the brush one way, back to fron, a few times.  They say something about decanting some of the fluid to clean contaminants off the bottle brush.  Very confusing.
    Do they mean for you to dump some of the fluid on the brush as a means of cleaning it? Seems logical. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

I have an LP #9 Stylus Cleaner from Record Research Lab.  I've never been able to fully decipher the confusing instruction sheet though.  For all I know, I've been using it improperly all this time.  I just put some of the fluid on the brush and pull the brush one way, back to fron, a few times.  They say something about decanting some of the fluid to clean contaminants off the bottle brush. 
    Very confusing.
    You are doing it correctly, Brian.  And you don't even have to use the fluid every time.  Just pulling the dry stylus brush before every session will help greatly, then use the fluid once a week or every few days, depending on how often you play.

I have never heard of decanting the fluid.  That sounds overboard to me.  Like something wealthy, self-proclaimed audiophile types with too much money in their bank accounts and time on their hands would say to convince themselves they are doing it better than us peons.

This is the kit I use.  Exact same as the LP9 kit, just branded by Sleeve City and 2/3 of the price.  There's a short video in the description which should end any confusion.
    http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-sc5-stylus-cleaner-p/sc-5.htm

As suggested by dudeman, the Magic Eraser trick works, too.  Just cut like a 1/4" sliver off the end of one.  Don't wet it.  Set it down on your platter, then drop & lift your stylus onto it a couple times.