What's your top 5 favorite movies??

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    4. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, Steven Spielberg)
    Oh, no you didn't!
    I did! I believe that to be the true title. :)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    dankind said:
    ed243421 said:
    Mine:

the shawshank redemption
    the blues brothers
    the big lebowski
    caddyshack
    blazing saddles

to watch with the kids:

elf
    up
    wall-e
    school of rock
    kicking and screaming 
    Blazing Saddles.  Nice inclusion!
    Give the @ed243421 a harrumph!
    "I didn't get a harrumph from you!"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, no you didn't!

You fucking youngsters. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, no you didn't!

You fucking youngsters. 
    Not that young, this is the first movie I ever saw in the theatre! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    In order (but it got really really tough after the first 2... I figure there are at least 20 other movies that I could easily switch into the last 3 spots, many of which others have already listed):

1. Last Night (1998, Don McKellar)
    2. Goodbye, Lenin! (2003, Wolfgang Becker)
    3. Schindler's List (1993, Steven Spielberg)
    5. There Will Be Blood (2007, Paul Thomas Anderson)
    A woman after my own heart!
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    In order (but it got really really tough after the first 2... I figure there are at least 20 other movies that I could easily switch into the last 3 spots, many of which others have already listed):

Isn't it so good!?! And not only is Daniel Day-Lewis just spectacular in it, but Paul Dano blows me away too. They are both so awesome in everything they do.
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, no you didn't!

You fucking youngsters. 
    When it was simply called Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I know it's a smaller thing than Greedo shooting first, Darth Vader moaning like lovelorn moose before giving the Emperor the shaft, and the government agents no longer armed to the teeth against E.T., but the rebranding of this film still pisses me off.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, no you didn't!

You fucking youngsters. 

I know it's a smaller thing than Greedo shooting first, Darth Vader moaning like lovelorn moose before giving the Emperor the shaft, and the government agents no longer armed to the teeth against E.T., but the rebranding of this film still pisses me off.
    :rofl:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Isn't it so good!?! And not only is Daniel Day-Lewis just spectacular in it, but Paul Dano blows me away too. They are both so awesome in everything they do.
    Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely incredible in everything he does.  And I agree about Paul Dano. This film put him on my radar.  The dichotomy of their characters is so well-played by both actors.  It's one of those cases where you, after seeing the film, you just know that had either character been cast differently the movie probably wouldn't be as effective.  I've still yet to see The Ballad of Jack and Rose, which the two played in a couple years prior.
    Was sad to hear Day-Lewis announce his retirement from acting yesterday, but at the same time he is leaving behind a remarkable body of work.  I'd be hard-pressed to name a better, more dedicated actor of this generation.  I read that during the filming of Lincoln, he stayed in character throughout the entire production - even off-set on his own time - just so he could perfect the role.

Also, if you haven't seen "Super There Will Be Blood," check it out on Youtube for a good laugh!
    edited June 2017
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, no you didn't!

You fucking youngsters. 

Lol, well, it doesn't bug me. I prefer the Indiana Jones title... Helps that my last name is Jones perhaps?? I never thought of that before, lol. Ooohhhh, that E.T. thing really pisses me off though!!!! That was the second movie I ever saw in the theatre. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    1. Donnie Darko
    2. American Beauty
    3. Lost Highway
    4. The Labyrinth 
    5. The Cable Guy
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247

Micheyb21 said:
    In no particular order

1 - The Crow
    2 - Shawshank
    3 - Independence Day
    4 - Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels
    5 - Lord of the Rings - Two Towers if i had to pick one
    I love The Crow too! Such an amazing soundtrack!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Not sure if they're my top 5, but they're movies I can watch over and over. 

1. A Beautiful Life (must be in Italian with English subtitles, not the English version...loses its rhythm and poetry somehow). 
    2. Shawshank Redemption
    3. Dogma
    4. Anything with Robin Williams...love the man, may he RIP. 
    5. This one's old and obscure...The Joy Luck Club. I love dramas that span multiple generations and show different cultures and historical periods. 

At Christmastime, the must watch movies are A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life (original black and white version). And sometimes Sound of Music (mostly watching obedient children in awe, lol)

Since Rogue brought up Christmas, here are my top 5 Christmas movies.

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    3. Die Hard  (Die Hard IS a Christmas movie, dammit!)
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh I love The Joy Luck Club.  The book was even better.  The film though - damn.  It's relatable in many ways, plus just so beautiful and well-made.

Years ago, my mom gave me a little clip from Reader's Digest (yes, she still reads it! - large type version now) about Amy Tan, the author.  How she was speaking about the book, her mother in the audience, stone-faced.  After the speech, Amy asked her if she liked what she read.  Her mom said, "All I could do was look at you and say, that's my daughter."  I've kept that little piece of paper with me, in my wallet, for more than 25 years.

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins

Top 5 X-Mas Movies:

5) Scrooged
    4)  A Christmas Story
    2)  Lethal Weapon (if you are taking Die Hard, I am taking "All Dressed Up and No One to Blow" Die Hard as a X-Mas movie)
    2)  Bad Santa
    1)  Elf

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins

Top 5 X-Mas Movies:

5) Scrooged
    4)  A Christmas Story
    2)  Lethal Weapon (if you are taking Die Hard, I am taking "All Dressed Up and No One to Blow" Die Hard as a X-Mas movie)
    2)  Bad Santa
    1)  Elf

Riggs, if you think I'm gonna eat the world's lousiest Christmas turkey by myself, you're crazy!

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins

Top 5 X-Mas Movies:

5) Scrooged
    4)  A Christmas Story
    2)  Bad Santa
    1)  Elf

Riggs, if you think I'm gonna eat the world's lousiest Christmas turkey by myself, you're crazy!

Well I got news for you, Rog, I'm not crazy.

Love that movie.

Riggs would for sure refer to it as X-Mas.

Roger:  God hates me, that's what it is.
    Martin:  Hate him back, it works for me.

Course, we know in real life that Mel loves God.  (He just hates Jews, and anyone else who is not WASPy like himself.)
    edited June 2017

1. A Beautiful Life (must be in Italian with English subtitles, not the English version...loses its rhythm and poetry somehow). 
    2. Shawshank Redemption
    3. Dogma
    5. This one's old and obscure...The Joy Luck Club. I love dramas that span multiple generations and show different cultures and historical periods. 

At Christmastime, the must watch movies are A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life (original black and white version). And sometimes Sound of Music (mostly watching obedient children in awe, lol)

There is an English version of a Beautiful Life?? What do you mean, like just dubbed over, or an actual different movie with English-speaking actors? edit: now that I think about it, you must mean the latter... I have honestly never seen any movie with English language dubbing before. I know dubbing is more popular for other languages, but I thought it was always just English subtitles and no English dubbing, like just a cultural thing that English speakers don't do.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins

Top 5 X-Mas Movies:

5) Scrooged
    4)  A Christmas Story
    2)  Bad Santa
    1)  Elf

My best friend's brother and my dad are in Elf. :)
    edited June 2017

2. Shawshank Redemption
    3. Dogma

Ah, The Sound of Music, the only time I've ever rooted for Nazis.

Unless you mean Life Is Beautiful, that one actually makes me root for the Nazis, too. Sentimental pap, that one is.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    PJ_Soul said:

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins

Top 5 X-Mas Movies:

5) Scrooged
    4)  A Christmas Story
    2)  Bad Santa
    1)  Elf

https://youtu.be/PHEx7obg-yA

PJ_Soul said:

5. Home Alone
    4. The Family Man
    2. Bad Santa
    1. Gremlins

Top 5 X-Mas Movies:

5) Scrooged
    4)  A Christmas Story
    2)  Bad Santa
    1)  Elf

https://youtu.be/PHEx7obg-yA

I've never seen Elf.

My five favorite Christmas movies have gotta be (in no particular order)

The Ref
    Bad Santa
    Lethal Weapon
    Die Hard
    Gremlins

Honorable mentions

Black Christmas
    Scrooged
    A Christmas Story
    Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Krampus

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

2. Shawshank Redemption
    3. Dogma

Ah, The Sound of Music, the only time I've ever rooted for Nazis.

Unless you mean Life Is Beautiful, that one actually makes me root for the Nazis, too. Sentimental pap, that one is.
    Oh Dan, you're awful! :lol:

PJ_Soul said:

2. Shawshank Redemption
    3. Dogma

There is an English version of a Beautiful Life?? What do you mean, like just dubbed over, or an actual different movie with English-speaking actors? edit: now that I think about it, you must mean the latter... I have honestly never seen any movie with English language dubbing before. I know dubbing is more popular for other languages, but I thought it was always just English subtitles and no English dubbing, like just a cultural thing that English speakers don't do.
    It's dubbed over, if I remember correctly, and rather annoying for me to watch. Not only does it look odd when the words you hear don't jive with the actors' movements, but it really loses something. Italian just sounds so much more romantic. 
    hedonist said:
    Oh I love The Joy Luck Club.  The book was even better.  The film though - damn.  It's relatable in many ways, plus just so beautiful and well-made.

Years ago, my mom gave me a little clip from Reader's Digest (yes, she still reads it! - large type version now) about Amy Tan, the author.  How she was speaking about the book, her mother in the audience, stone-faced.  After the speech, Amy asked her if she liked what she read.  Her mom said, "All I could do was look at you and say, that's my daughter."  I've kept that little piece of paper with me, in my wallet, for more than 25 years.
    I still can't tell if her mother was giving her a compliment or slamming her. Much like my mother. :lol:
    i read the book too and loved it. 
    Also used to read Reader's Digest. Small world. :)
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    Hard to pick just five.. let's say

Mulholland drive
    Stalker
    Easy rider
    Point break
    Dead poets society
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2017
    Yeah this is tough. 

1 - The Shawshank Redemption
    2 - Groundhog Day
    3 - The Big Lebowski
    4 - Pulp Fiction
    5 - Ex Machina

After number 1 the other four are pretty much interchangeable in my order of preference.

PJ_Soul said:

2. Shawshank Redemption
    3. Dogma

It's dubbed over, if I remember correctly, and rather annoying for me to watch. Not only does it look odd when the words you hear don't jive with the actors' movements, but it really loses something. Italian just sounds so much more romantic. 
    Yeah, absolitely. Weirdly, I just happened to stumble upon the first English dubbed show I ever saw the night after I posted this (this series called 3%... great premise, not too well executed). It sucked much more than it should have because if the dubbing. The vocal expression of the voiceover was crap.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    rocky 1-5
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13