Options

Live Nation secretly flies Eddie Vedder to Cannes Lions

Comments

• Options
    BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    JimmyV said:
    ryph raph said:

Live Nation merged with Ticketmaster in 2010.

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

This. A man who soon forgets?
    A man who is no more beholden in his fifties to the views he held in his twenties than you or I. I look at things differently now than I did then. Why shouldn't Ed?

My friend, you are mistaken in assuming that I, like you or presumably Ed, am not beholden in my fifties to the views I held in my twenties on core beliefs like the dangers of elitism and the power of money to corrupt.  There is something disturbing in watching Ed transition from the guy who fought MTV and Ticketmaster, who sang and campaigned for Ralph Nader in 2000, who gleefully performed Bushleaguer, who wrote songs illuminating child and sexual abuse, mental health crises, police brutality, and youth oppression, into the guy who sings Obama out of office, sits in the owner's box at World Series games, remains on the political sidelines while Bernie Sanders is leading the most promising progressive campaign for economic, social, racial justice in a generation, and flies by private jet to a hilltop in Cannes paid for by Live Nation to sing around the campfire for an elitist gathering of a couple hundred rich folks who could afford to pay 5,215 euro plus TVA for the "all-inclusive business class experience" ( and, for a little more dough, the opportunity to "enjoy the ultimate Cannes experience and book a yacht for the week.").  Ed is obviously enjoying his perks these days, and if he chooses that life, it is his to live, after all.  I'm just a little disillusioned and disappointed in his choices, that's all.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    JimmyV said:
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

A man who is no more beholden in his fifties to the views he held in his twenties than you or I. I look at things differently now than I did then. Why shouldn't Ed?

My friend, you are mistaken in assuming that I, like you or presumably Ed, am not beholden in my fifties to the views I held in my twenties on core beliefs like the dangers of elitism and the power of money to corrupt.  There is something disturbing in watching Ed transition from the guy who fought MTV and Ticketmaster, who sang and campaigned for Ralph Nader in 2000, who gleefully performed Bushleaguer, who wrote songs illuminating child and sexual abuse, mental health crises, police brutality, and youth oppression, into the guy who sings Obama out of office, sits in the owner's box at World Series games, remains on the political sidelines while Bernie Sanders is leading the most promising progressive campaign for economic, social, racial justice in a generation, and flies by private jet to a hilltop in Cannes paid for by Live Nation to sing around the campfire for an elitist gathering of a couple hundred rich folks who could afford to pay 5,215 euro plus TVA for the "all-inclusive business class experience" ( and, for a little more dough, the opportunity to "enjoy the ultimate Cannes experience and book a yacht for the week.").  Ed is obviously enjoying his perks these days, and if he chooses that life, it is his to live, after all.  I'm just a little disillusioned and disappointed in his choices, that's all.

I was typing up a response, but you pretty much hit all the parts I was struggling with about this as well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531

BrokenGlass - I get where you are coming from.  THey have definitely changed over the years.  Not in a bad way though, but their views have softened a little.   Perhaps we don't see all the charitable things these rich folks do and Ed does.  I don't know.  Anyway, the point of my post is that I've stopped collecting PJ stuff and wanting to frame every poster and wear PJ shirts all the time mainly because they have softened their positions so much.  I love the music still, and time certainly plays a factor, but I love a lot of bands and don't buy their t-shirts. I wore PJ shirts and collected their records and stickers but they had great music and were willing to stand up for music over profits.  I still think they are incredibly nice and generous people, but it isn't the old days.

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    JimmyV said:
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

good post
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited June 2017
    And this shouldn't turn into a bash Eddie thread.  If the worst thing he ever does was play a concert for friends than he is doing pretty darn good.  It is true though that there is a stark difference between 1992-2003 PJ and 2017 PJ. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    JimmyV said:
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

No, I'm not mistaken at all. Times change, circumstances change, people change, viewpoints change. Life is evolution. Ed's living his life. You are living yours. I'm living mine. I don't have the energy to be disillusioned by the choices other people make. Particularly ones I don't really know. I don't care in the least that Ed sang for Obama and sits in owner's boxes, nor is it my place to judge who he did and didn't support in the 2016 election. The Cannes show doesn't bother me at all.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    You can't fault the man for enjoying the fruits of his labor.  Just because he flies private and has wealthy friends doesn't mean he's an elitist.  He uses his celebrity as a platform to benefit a lot of good, charitable causes.  It just so happens that a lot of the people donating to those causes have money. So what?  All that said, there is something a little "off" about him getting flown around to do secret performances by Live Nation (especially knowing they merged with TM).  
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    He did what he loves to do by singing and he got paid for it. Good for him. 

I won't have a problem with any of his rich guy activities until the moment he plays shows but does not care about the performace or music he is performing. If he is just doing it for the money and does not enjoy his time on stage, that is when it will be annoying. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

No, I'm not mistaken at all. Times change, circumstances change, people change, viewpoints change. Life is evolution. Ed's living his life. You are living yours. I'm living mine. I don't have the energy to be disillusioned by the choices other people make. Particularly ones I don't really know. I don't care in the least that Ed sang for Obama and sits in owner's boxes, nor is it my place to judge who he did and didn't support in the 2016 election. The Cannes show doesn't bother me at all.

As I said, it's his life to live as he sees fit.  My point, however, is this:  Let's try a thought experiment.  Would 1995 Ed have accepted a private flight to Cannes sponsored by Live Nation to sing at a mansion for a group of 1%-ers?  If not, why not?  And if not, are the reasons for not doing it in 1995 any less valid than choosing not to do it in 2017?  Some things never change, but people do.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

As I said, it's his life to live as he sees fit.  My point, however, is this:  Let's try a thought experiment.  Would 1995 Ed have accepted a private flight to Cannes sponsored by Live Nation to sing at a mansion for a group of 1%-ers?  If not, why not?  And if not, are the reasons for not doing it in 1995 any less valid than choosing not to do it in 2017?  Some things never change, but people do.
    Sure, but there are plenty of things that 1995 JimmyV wouldn't have done that the 2017 version would, and there are plenty of things the 2017 version of myself wouldn't do that the 1995 version would have. I don't know you BrokenGlass but I'm willing to bet the same can be said of you.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I don't care what anyone says. I still think live nation and ticket master run a crooked business and dont have the fans best interest in their thoughts at all. I hope the rest of the band stays firm on that. Fuck Ticketmaster. 
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

I agree. I'm in my mid 40's, and most certainly do not see the world quite the same as I did in my 20's - although with after everything I've experienced in life since that time, I would argue that I am even more passionate about my beliefs and relationships with other people, and certainly more humble about my place in the world. Even though I'm probably the most financially well off as I've ever been, I'm more conservative in how I spend my money, the activities I engage in, and still relate more to people with far less than I have than I aspire to be like those who have more. I still love this band and the music they make, will continue to buy their albums and see a show when I can, and maybe still buy their merch from time to time - but it's apparent that I do not relate to them quite the same way as I did 20 years ago. I think it might have been the $40 dog collars where my crazy "fandom" started to subside slightly...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    riley540 said:
    I don't care what anyone says. I still think live nation and ticket master run a crooked business and dont have the fans best interest in their thoughts at all. I hope the rest of the band stays firm on that. Fuck Ticketmaster. 
    Few business do have the fans/customers best interests in mind. They are a money making machine, but unless we as consumers give them a reason to change, they're not going to. The system is firmly in place and not much can be done about it if we as a whole don't be the change we want to see.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:
    Few business do have the fans/customers best interests in mind. They are a money making machine, but unless we as consumers give them a reason to change, they're not going to. The system is firmly in place and not much can be done about it if we as a whole don't be the change we want to see.
    The only thing that bugs me is how they allow bots and big companies like stub hub get tickets before fans so they can be sold at way higher prices. They deny this happens but insiders say it does. That's why stub hub has thousands for sale before the public sale. Ticketmaster is entitled to profit, prices are not out of reach, they just work with second hand markets to screw us for more money. Ed should have punched that guy in the mouth instead of getting on his dirty plane. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    edited June 2017
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:
    The only thing that bugs me is how they allow bots and big companies like stub hub get tickets before fans so they can be sold at way higher prices. They deny this happens but insiders say it does. That's why stub hub has thousands for sale before the public sale. Ticketmaster is entitled to profit, prices are not out of reach, they just work with second hand markets to screw us for more money. Ed should have punched that guy in the mouth instead of getting on his dirty plane. 
    Stubhub makes money on transaction fees.  Stubhub =/ Ticket Broker.   They're like an ebay or amazon market place for people selling tickets.   They don't sell anything themselves.  It's anyone from professional brokers, to do it yourself brokers, to fans with extra tickets selling on their.

I know it's a minor detail but sometimes I think it's worth pointing out that Stubhub aren't ticketbrokers.  

I do agree it sucks though, that Promoters sell tickets directly to brokers, and never see the light of the public onsale.   I'm not actually sure it's TM/Live Nation that benefits from the direct sale of tickets from brokers.   From what I read it's the promoters who do that.  In order to meet the amount they promised the band (and still turn a profit) they have to sell some tickets over face value, so that's why they do it.    Ticketmaster still collects the ticket fees, but I'm not sure tm/livenation get a cut of the ticket price themselves.

The thing that really bugs me though is Ticketmaster's attempt to be their own stubhub.  Allowing anyone to resell their tickets.   The fee's TM is charging to do it, are almost double that of what stubhub charges.  It's insane!  People need to jack their prices up by 30% just to break even.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    It's brutal that we're competing with fucking robots for tickets.  It's just the way it is now.  These brokers have bots snatching them up and then straight to stubhub. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    They removed the "former" from the article. I sent a very brief email to them about needing a correction, and, surprisingly, I received a personalized reply to thank me and let me know the correction's been made... Maybe their paper sucks because all their energy is being expended on personalized customer service, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Maybe he just supports what the Cannes Lions festival is highlighting more than he hates/hated ticketmaster and didn't really mind them (Live Nation) footing the bill for flying him out there?  Ed's met a lot of people and many times I think it's as simple as a friend asks him to help support a cause and if he can (and thinks it's a worthy cause) he does.  Nothing disturbing or "sell out" about it.  Just a basically good dude, helping when he can and where he can. Personally, I don't see such a stark difference in him.  Since Chris Cornell's passing, I've revisited a lot of the old music and artists that I connected with in my younger years and, while I never lost my love of Pearl Jam and Eddie in particular, I wasn't as staunch a follower as I once was, and I did catch up on some things I missed along the way.  I've reread and rewatched countless interviews and live shows starting with their first shows up until Ed's recent shows for this current tour in the past few weeks and listened to him address various issues, tell stories, get political, chastise unruly/amped up audience members, etc. right down the timeline. I've binge watched nearly every available video on the net. He seems to be the same guy he always was at heart.  People don't get frozen in time and never change. He'd have burned himself out long ago if he'd remained the same and never grown, as intense as he could be back then. I find him to be one of the most genuine kind human beings out there.  I'm just thankful that he's still around. 
     Kansas City, Kansas (December 04, 1991)
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

Pearl Jam merged with Ticketmaster in 1998. 
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 923
    People complain with buying tickets from Livenation & Ticketmaster
    People complain trying to buy tickets though 10C website

Somtimes I think people would prefer Pearl Jam/EV perform without an audince
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,871
     :s soon forget
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Looks around.  Yep still respect the hell out of the guy.  As an artist and a person.  Next
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    RiotZact said:
    ryph raph said:

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

Pearl Jam merged with Ticketmaster in 1998. 

Yup, the 'battle' was over long ago.

• Options

lol.  Can't please everyone.  What I also find humorous is the amount of vitriol that gets spewed about PJ/Eddie regarding ticketmaster.  I mean, they tried at least.  Which is more than you can say for a lot of the artists back when they waged the war in the first place.  If more had stood with them, then maybe the outcome would have been different.  Instead, the ones that actually tried to stand up against ticketmaster get vilified for "selling out" when they lost an unwinnable fight standing virtually alone. 
     Kansas City, Kansas (December 04, 1991)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

lol.  Can't please everyone.  What I also find humorous is the amount of vitriol that gets spewed about PJ/Eddie regarding ticketmaster.  I mean, they tried at least.  Which is more than you can say for a lot of the artists back when they waged the war in the first place.  If more had stood with them, then maybe the outcome would have been different.  Instead, the ones that actually tried to stand up against ticketmaster get vilified for "selling out" when they lost an unwinnable fight standing virtually alone. 
    I don't get that either. PJ admitted complete and utter defeat 2 decades ago, and they kneeled down in front of them and swore allegiance. I am not clear on why people still think that the TM thing has any meaning for the band, since the two have been showering together for the band's entire career, minus a few years, lol. Yeah, at least they tried, and I do admire them for that. The reason they failed is because nobody else was brave enough to join the fight.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2017
    Ed in April 2017 - Climate change is real and it's caused by humans

Ed in June 2017 - Takes a Private Jet to perform for a small group of wealthy people. This after flying back and forth from Europe to NYC for a 30 minute performance

This is exactly why "hollywood liberals" are not taken seriously and get mocked
  • Options
    I don't know why you posted a hummus ad after your comment my2hands, lol. But anyway, I do agree with what you said. There is definitely some extremely obvious hypocrisy going on there, and I don't think it does any good to ignore that, for the sake of the cause. Of course, everyone is a hypocrite one way or the other, and most are huge hypocrites in many ways ... it sure is more obvious when you act against comments you make in the public eye though! If you're going to go public like that, you have to be a lot more careful with your actions if you want people to believe you're sincere.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    It was supposed to be a video of Infallible... but it nly posted the hummus add lol
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    riley540 said:
    Is ed too cool for the rest of the band now, or something :/

I'm just as confused about this. 

How in the world does anyone print that Eddie Vedder was the lead singer of Pearl Jam?
    Have you never noticed there's a dichotomy in the world.  There's those of us that are die hard pearl jam fans and know everything that's going on.   Then there's the rest of the world, where when you tell them your going to a PJ concert, and their response is "they're still together?".

lol.  were in a pearl jam bubble posting on the message board and groups on facebook.   The rest of the world isn't in that bubble :(   I'm happy they aren't.  It's already hard enough to get tickets.
This discussion has been closed.