Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    rgambs said:
    Going for a nice 5 hour rock climb next week.
    Wife is cold, no exercise besides life, so she did 200 squats yesterday evening to get "in shape" quick.
    She's going to fall into the toilet when she gets home after a half hour in the car lol
    :o

Just wait until she tries to get out of bed tomorrow morning. Oh my.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    Wife is cold, no exercise besides life, so she did 200 squats yesterday evening to get "in shape" quick.
    She's going to fall into the toilet when she gets home after a half hour in the car lol
    Where are you climbing, gambs? I really want to get some outdoor climbing in this summer. I love my climbing gym but I want the real thing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Where are you climbing, gambs? I really want to get some outdoor climbing in this summer. I love my climbing gym but I want the real thing. 
    https://www.nrocks.com

Non-technical climbing with all the exposure and none of the hassle.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    No running for me on Global Running Day; instead, I awoke with a crushing migraine, of the "do I need to call 911?" variety. That really sucked. :-(

Once the meds did their thing, I worked three walks and a light (thank you, trainer!) leg workout into what was left of my day. I knew my run would suck, so I didn't even try. But I was pleased to find that the just-strenuous-enough lift helped me get rid of the residual ickiness from the migraine.

I ran 8,5 on the treadmill this morning while listening to Comey's testimony.

I've convinced my husband to work with my trainer; a nice benefit, for me, is that they're both busy telling each other how hard I work, LOL. =) My next goal will be to get them to address me as "Beast Mode."   B)
    I hope you feel better, curmudgeoness!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I read somewhere that it's better to run more strides per minute than long strides. I tried the shorter stride today, and I felt like I worked more, but I felt lighter.

Have you tried shorter strides? What do you think?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Longer strides = faster, for me. I shorten my stride when going uphill.

On the other hand, I have seen some very fast older dudes (70+) with very short strides.

I think -- not sure, just thinking -- that turnover is the key; more than the length of your stride. I think that, ideally, as you build stamina and start wanting to get faster, covering more ground per step + more steps per minute = faster. If you watch elite marathoners, they have pretty long strides but rapid turnover.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    curmudgeoness said: BHI

On the other hand, I have seen some very fast older dudes (70+) with very short strides.

I think -- not sure, just thinking -- that turnover is the key; more than the length of your stride. I think that, ideally, as you build stamina and start wanting to get faster, covering more ground per step + more steps per minute = faster. If you watch elite marathoners, they have pretty long strides but rapid turnover.

I think you are right. It is about turnover.
    For most of my life exercise has caused me some anxiety. However, I've been so sad by news in the past couple weeks that I have used exercise to get into a better mood. Who knew?
    I also use exercise to help me deal with anxiety, stress, and sadness. When things are bad, nothing else helps as much as going climbing, though riding my bike is a close second. 
    Ms. Haiku said:

Apple turnover, I hope?
    oftenreading said:but
    Ms. Haiku said:

Apple turnover, I hope?
    Yes and yes!
    Ms. Haiku said:
    For most of my life exercise has caused me some anxiety. However, I've been so sad by news in the past couple weeks that I have used exercise to get into a better mood. Who knew?

Well, I am glad it is helping you! For me, exercise is about my mental health as much as it is about my physical health, and it has been that way for about 22 years. Before that, exercise was something I saw as a burden, something I "had to do." Now, I see it as an important part of taking care of myself  and clearing my head so I can think.

I'm actually angry at the moment. I'd been in a pretty bad mental state for the last week or so, so I made an extra effort to get to the beach for a run Tuesday afternoon. My head was just starting to clear and I could feel my anxiety ebbing, when some random asshole ran across the beach at me and tried to attack me. That never, ever happens! I am so angry that someone tried to ruin one of the nicest places on the planet with their behavior. So, from now on, I run with pepper spray. And I am considering adding martial arts classes to my already-packed exercise schedule.

Ms. Haiku said:m

Well, I am glad it is helping you! For me, exercise is about my mental health as much as it is about my physical health, and it has been that way for about 22 years. Before that, exercise was something I saw as a burden, something I "had to do." Now, I see it as an important part of taking care of myself  and clearing my head so I can think.

I'm actually angry at the moment. I'd been in a pretty bad mental state for the last week or so, so I made an extra effort to get to the beach for a run Tuesday afternoon. My head was just starting to clear and I could feel my anxiety ebbing, when some random asshole ran across the beach at me and tried to attack me. That never, ever happens! I am so angry that someone tried to ruin one of the nicest places on the planet with their behavior. So, from now on, I run with pepper spray. And I am considering adding martial arts classes to my already-packed exercise schedule.

That's awful! Asshole, is right!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Celebrating my one yr fitness anniversary this month! Its been mostly ups than downs thank goodness. Recently had my bike tuned up, new trail tires & have been hitting the MKT/Katy trail. Had an epic 20 mile ride last week, planning on going 2x this week a little longer, little further each time. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Celebrating my one yr fitness anniversary this month! Its been mostly ups than downs thank goodness. Recently had my bike tuned up, new trail tires & have been hitting the MKT/Katy trail. Had an epic 20 mile ride last week, planning on going 2x this week a little longer, little further each time. 
    Way to go, 2-feign! I do a long ride every Saturday and I look forward to it all week. As part of it I aim to get up to a local lake; a peaceful and beautiful reward after a lot of hill climbing. My cycle commuting is fun but it's the weekend recreational ride that I really love. 

And curmudgeoness, that is terrible! I'm sorry you're in the situation where you feel like some asshole has made it so that you have to carry pepper spray. That's got to be a nuisance while running. 
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, and it was where I've always felt safest (clothing-optional beach, the regulars stay on their best behavior and take good care of their community and their stretch of sand); as I remarked afterwards, the thing about naked guys is, you don't have to worry about what they have in their pockets.

The pepper spray is not inconvenient to carry: it's lightweight, fits easily into the palm of your hand and comes with a strap.

Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    It does look nice and small. And on the clothing optional beach you have more than one choice of target for your spray, I guess. 
    Celebrating my one yr fitness anniversarythis month! Its been mostly ups than downs thank goodness. Recently had my bike tuned up, new trail tires & have been hitting the MKT/Katy trail. Had an epic 20 mile ride last week, planning on going 2x this week a little longer, little further each time. 
    Congratulations!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

Great ride today! Pushed to 28 miles then hit the gym for biceps & back lift. The cardio before the weights worked out well. Have been doing cardio after weights. Might change that up. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    It does look nice and small. And on the clothing optional beach you have more than one choice of target for your spray, I guess. 

Nah, the naked dudes aren't the problem. They're very chill and very well-behaved. =)

Great ride today! Pushed to 28 miles then hit the gym for biceps & back lift. The cardio before the weights worked out well. Have been doing cardio after weights. Might change that up. 
    That does look like a nice ride.

I was curious, so I looked to see what the conventional wisdom is about doing strength or cardio first. The answer seems to depend on what your goals and priorities are. I think of myself as a runner, so I run before (showering and) heading to the gym to lift.
    Not exactly the same, but I find my climbing goes well if I cycle first. I think I just get warmed up. 
    I did 20 miles with Simon on my back over the course of the camping trip, 12 miles/8hours on one day.  
    Not sure I could do more, he rides so high in the pack it's impossible to transfer enough of the weight off my shoulders.
    It was a great week, 30 miles total, 4 of them climbing and traversing exposed rock face on a 1,000 ft Via Ferrata climb.  
    rgambs said:
    I did 20 miles with Simon on my back over the course of the camping trip, 12 miles/8hours on one day.  
    Not sure I could do more, he rides so high in the pack it's impossible to transfer enough of the weight off my shoulders.
    It was a great week, 30 miles total, 4 of them climbing and traversing exposed rock face on a 1,000 ft Via Ferrata climb.  
    So, where was Simon when you were climbing? I know you said it wasn't technical, but he wasn't in the back pack, was he? 
    rgambs said:
    So, where was Simon when you were climbing? I know you said it wasn't technical, but he wasn't in the back pack, was he? 
    No, we left him at camp with my dad.
    I was more nervous about leaving him behind in a region with zero cell service than I was about the climb lol
    Next time we go down we are going to climb Seneca Rocks and get our first technical ascent in the bag.
    I had my first self-defense/ jiu-jitsu lesson this week. :-)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :lol:

Ok folks. Today was the day. The day I ordered T25. Now I'm pissed I think I got taken on the shipping cuz I was busy and not paying attention. :angry:. I'm done acting like food is my problem. I want to be in better shape for my kids. Not looking to be a model looking to have energy to keep up with and have the time of my life with my kids.

I've always been chubby. I've always been the slow one - physically. I'm done with the dating scene I'm done with the college scene. I'm now looking at my future which is all about my family. 

I feel motivated. I know it'll be tough. I'm going to start out treating this program like a 30 day challenge and go from there.

I've read great reviews. And realize those that took this seriously were ready to make a change! I sincerely hope I am too.

Over a year ago when I joined this thread I set a goal of 20 lbs. Year and a half later I have lost 5 lbs and kept it off. Eek! Time to push. 

I'm going to set my goal at 20. I'd like to set 3 months to accomplish said goal.

Now shipping is 3-6 days and it's the holiday so maybe I'll see it in a few weeks.

Wish me luck!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    Good luck! And be patient with and kind to yourself. :-)
  • IndecorousSacrosanctIndecorousSacrosanct Plaid Nomad Posts: 3
    Great thread. Walking/hiking is my exercise. 
    FoxyRedLa said:
    :lol:

Ok folks. Today was the day. The day I ordered T25. Now I'm pissed I think I got taken on the shipping cuz I was busy and not paying attention. :angry:. I'm done acting like food is my problem. I want to be in better shape for my kids. Not looking to be a model looking to have energy to keep up with and have the time of my life with my kids.

I've always been chubby. I've always been the slow one - physically. I'm done with the dating scene I'm done with the college scene. I'm now looking at my future which is all about my family. 

I feel motivated. I know it'll be tough. I'm going to start out treating this program like a 30 day challenge and go from there.

I've read great reviews. And realize those that took this seriously were ready to make a change! I sincerely hope I am too.

Over a year ago when I joined this thread I set a goal of 20 lbs. Year and a half later I have lost 5 lbs and kept it off. Eek! Time to push. 

I'm going to set my goal at 20. I'd like to set 3 months to accomplish said goal.

Now shipping is 3-6 days and it's the holiday so maybe I'll see it in a few weeks.

Wish me luck!
    Good luck!