***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Great show last night. I've seen 2 shows at The Linc both sitting at the end of the stadium and thought they sounded good.  I've heard there are pockets on the sides of the stadium that don't sound good.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    pjpitt89 said:
    Saw them last night in Philly. We had floor GA tix for $70 each which was actually a good deal because sight lines were great from the floor, especially with the incredible production and stage set up. Lumineers were actually very good, U2 was as good as I've seen them before. Joshua Tree was fun to hear in sequence.

I was blown away by The Lumineers when I saw them in January...INCREDIBLE band with a GREAT live show!!

Starting to get excited for my U2 show in Cleveland one week from Saturday!!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjpitt89 said:
    Saw them last night in Philly. We had floor GA tix for $70 each which was actually a good deal because sight lines were great from the floor, especially with the incredible production and stage set up. Lumineers were actually very good, U2 was as good as I've seen them before. Joshua Tree was fun to hear in sequence.
    $70?  How did you manage to get that?  I saw some friends post video and pics from the show.  Looks like Mysterious Ways made it's tour debut?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    pjpitt89 said:
    $70?  How did you manage to get that?  I saw some friends post video and pics from the show.  Looks like Mysterious Ways made it's tour debut?
    GA floor tix were $70 for the public onsale, debated it when it went on sale but got a pair easily so figured it was worth it. And it was, they never disappoint, and yes, Mysterious Ways was played in a giant women's lib video/photo montage. The women in the crowd were in heaven, Bono nailed it
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    Yeah, the women's tribute video had been set to "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" up to that point. I saw that version in both Dallas last month and on Friday in Louisville. I can't decide whether I'm disappointed they didn't make the change one show sooner, so I could have seen it both ways; I think I like "Ultraviolet" better as a song (and have seen "Mysterious Ways" more times on past tours), but it would have been cool to be there for a tour song debut and to get both versions to compare.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    i think it works better with Ultraviolet. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Also, I hope they do this again in a few years with Achtung. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    i think it works better with Ultraviolet. 
    Me too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjpitt89 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    GA floor tix were $70 for the public onsale, debated it when it went on sale but got a pair easily so figured it was worth it. And it was, they never disappoint, and yes, Mysterious Ways was played in a giant women's lib video/photo montage. The women in the crowd were in heaven, Bono nailed it
    really?  that's a pretty good deal.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

I do, too, as I've always liked it even better than Joshua Tree, but I've been thinking about it for a few days, and I'm not sure how it would work without aping ZooTV too much. It seems like that 1992-1994 tour was the first one where there was a real "show identity," and it's so tied to the songs that I don't know how you separate them to reimagine it in the way they reimagined Joshua Tree from a straightforward 80s show to a video extravaganza like it is now.

But I'd be curious to see them try...

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    pjpitt89 said:
    U2 has been doing that for years (at least since the all that you can't leave behind tour).   They make ga floor tickets cheap, and charge a mint for the seats.   They're available through the bands fan club or on the public onsale.    They're a bit easier to get when they tour stadiums (opposed to when they tour arenas).
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I passed on this U2 tour, but if they did it for Achtung I'd be all over it.... my favourite U2 album by far.
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Spoony C said:

I do, too, as I've always liked it even better than Joshua Tree, but I've been thinking about it for a few days, and I'm not sure how it would work without aping ZooTV too much. It seems like that 1992-1994 tour was the first one where there was a real "show identity," and it's so tied to the songs that I don't know how you separate them to reimagine it in the way they reimagined Joshua Tree from a straightforward 80s show to a video extravaganza like it is now.

But I'd be curious to see them try...

I think between the band, Wim Williams and the rest of their team that they will figure out something pretty epic.
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Anyone else going to Phoenix? I snagged tix through the member presale this morning. Already caught one of the Pasadena shows back on May, but couldn't pass up a show two hours away, especially with Beck opening.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What time has u2 gone on?  My wife and I will be seeing them tomorrow night. ThAnks!
    mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    edited June 2017
    Have 2 face in section 133 for Wednesday Met Life
    Was able to score GA in a ticket drop today

Tickets for sale are NOT credit card entry and can be printed. Transfer
    from Ticketmaster 
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889

mcgruff10 said:
    What time has u2 gone on?  My wife and I will be seeing them tomorrow night. ThAnks!
    mike

Around 9pm

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Was thinking about booking a trip and seeing U2 in Europe in July. But saw that a ticket was like 5-600 dollars. Is that what they go for second hand? :O 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Very good show Sunday night in Foxboro.
    I thought all the songs on Joshua Tree sounded great.
    My complaints were "Miss Sarejevo" and ending with "The Little Things that you give away".
    Both of these sounded really out of place.
    Really to end a show with a song that no one knows seems pretty dumb to me.

• Bine75Bine75 Germany Posts: 77
    Was thinking about booking a trip and seeing U2 in Europe in July. But saw that a ticket was like 5-600 dollars. Is that what they go for second hand? :O 
    Yes unfortunately these are the prices for second hand. But I just got an email from Ticketmaster.de that there are some tickets available again for the Berlin show (prices from 46 Euro to 207 Euro)
    Very good show Sunday night in Foxboro.
    I thought all the songs on Joshua Tree sounded great.
    My complaints were "Miss Sarejevo" and ending with "The Little Things that you give away".
    Both of these sounded really out of place.
    Really to end a show with a song that no one knows seems pretty dumb to me.

I've seen the show twice (Dallas and Louisville), and I found "Miss Sarajevo" moving, if an oddly placed back-to-back downer with "Mothers of the Disappeared," but neither of my shows had "The Little Things..." at all, much less as closer. Dallas ended with "I Will Follow" (I think for the first time all tour) and Louisville ended with "Vertigo" (which had been added a couple of shows earlier. I overall liked the Louisville show better, but I thought "I Will Follow" was a better finale song, energy and crowd-pumping-up-wise.
    Great show last night!  We wandered into ga at 8:40 and were three away from the rail on adam's side.....a most excellent spot.
    A superb but short show imo.  Bad was the highlight for me, joshua tree sounded spectacular (sans red hill mining town) but miss sarajevo was just awful.  That song really stole the energy away from the crowd.  But the threesome of beautiful day, elevation and vertigo brought the excitement back to the venue.
    My wife and I left before one was played to avoid traffic.  

• mcgruff10 said:
    Great show last night!  We wandered into ga at 8:40 and were three away from the rail on adam's side.....a most excellent spot.
    A superb but short show imo.  Bad was the highlight for me, joshua tree sounded spectacular (sans red hill mining town) but miss sarajevo was just awful.  That song really stole the energy away from the crowd.  But the threesome of beautiful day, elevation and vertigo brought the excitement back to the venue.

Couldn't last the whole show, eh? Legs were probably tired and those three beer ya drank probably got the best of you.

Why did you say 'sans red hill mining town'? I loved that tune in Vancouver. And I didn't care for Miss Sarajevo either. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    mcgruff10 said:

Couldn't last the whole show, eh? Legs were probably tired and those three beer ya drank probably got the best of you.

Why did you say 'sans red hill mining town'? I loved that tune in Vancouver. And I didn't care for Miss Sarajevo either. 
    I really disliked the horns in red hill mining town.  To me it just didn't translate well live, but the rest of the album was stellar.

Del, traffic was a nightmare going to the show.  They had the god damn state fair in the parking lot of the stadium so it made parking and traffic unbearable.  Leaving two songs early probably saved me an hour and a half of driving.  And no beers last night!  Just some kick ass pizza for dinner.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I really disliked the horns in red hill mining town.  To me it just didn't translate well live, but the rest of the album was stellar.

Del, traffic was a nightmare going to the show.  They had the god damn state fair in the parking lot of the stadium so it made parking and traffic unbearable.  Leaving two songs early probably saved me an hour and a half of driving.  And no beers last night!  Just some kick ass pizza for dinner.
    Gawd I love pizza.

We have no place in town that serves up the deep dish deliciously cheesy pizza that I order with great frequency when I'm in Boston. I'm assuming New York has the same gooey goodness.

I can't tell a lie: I leave concerts early to avoid traffic as well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Del, New Jersey pizza is heavenly. We had this last night. 

No deep dish here, you fold the pizza and eat. Knives and forks are illegal to use. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Spoony C said:
    Yeah, the women's tribute video had been set to "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" up to that point. I saw that version in both Dallas last month and on Friday in Louisville. I can't decide whether I'm disappointed they didn't make the change one show sooner, so I could have seen it both ways; I think I like "Ultraviolet" better as a song (and have seen "Mysterious Ways" more times on past tours), but it would have been cool to be there for a tour song debut and to get both versions to compare.

Apparently the night of the Philly show was Edge and Morleigh's anniversary, and Mysterious Ways was a one off to celebrate that. (Morleigh was the belly dancer during Mysterious Ways on ZooTV tour that's how they met).
    They are back to Ultraviolet on a nightly basis now.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Spoony C said:

Apparently the night of the Philly show was Edge and Morleigh's anniversary, and Mysterious Ways was a one off to celebrate that. (Morleigh was the belly dancer during Mysterious Ways on ZooTV tour that's how they met).
    They are back to Ultraviolet on a nightly basis now.
    I am not a fan of untraviolet.  There s so many better songs out there.  
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i am a fan of ultra violet for sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUD4CQT33w4