Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Best of the Weakest, SEMI-FINALS

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited June 2017 in The Porch
Semi-Finals
I have compiled the 'WEAKEST" of each album, according to prior voting from the forum.
I have listed the 10 songs that had the most votes in Round 1 for their albums.

I have listed the songs - album - and number of votes cast against in their round 1.
Deep - Ten - 43 Votes
Glorified G - VS. - 32 Votes
Stupid Mop - Vitalogy - 69 Votes - Eliminated Round 1
I'm Open - No Code - 59 Votes
Red Dot - Yield - 76 Votes - Eliminated Round 1
Evacuation - Binaural - 63 Votes - Eliminated Round 3
Arc - Riot Act - 32 Votes - Eliminated Round 3
Big Wave - Pearl Jam - 36 Votes
Johnny Guitar - Backspacer - 67 Votes - Eliminated Round 2
Sleeping By Myself - Lightning Bolt - 52 Votes - Eliminated Round 2

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to the final round. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Round 4 poll will close on Wednesday, 6/21 at 3:00pm cst

Poll--The Weakest Link: Best of the Weakest, SEMI-FINALS 117 votes

Deep
4%
washedinblack91PA JammerHesCalledDyerangry_skullSarava 5 votes
Glorified G
5%
dimitrispearljamAbe FromanPJForceofNaturewhoanelly15rgambsnortherndragonPJNB 7 votes
I'm Open
40%
jeffbrAndySlashBEnglish017bootlegger10pjpitt89tunodamailogan5iveRoelandNamihrd2imgndudemanIndifference71tbergsJimmyVjoberschlakeRP112579giventofly69KC138045aicbonesIM160456 47 votes
Big Wave
49%
CantKeepmedownledveddermanmcgruff10my_waveNewJPagereleaseNYDr. Delight2-feign-reluctanceHebejebesachtrivForce Of NatureSpiritual_ChaosNoloadpearljimryph raphlolobuggmfc2006dannycutzjniko 58 votes

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    Glorified G
    she doesnt like the view for the win!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    I'm Open
    I appreciate I'm Open for what it is. Experimental, a change of pace, and the weakest on this list.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Big Wave
    Not a fan of the studio version of I'm Open but it's quite nice (and short) live.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Deep
    I'm just glad Big Wave made it this far.  Glorified G for the win, now!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Big Wave
    It's a "goner" this round for sure!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited June 2017
    Big Wave
    I don't like I'm Open at all, but Big Wave is more grating.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    Big Wave
    "You don't really know Pearl Jams music? Well have I got a song for you. It's called Big wave"! Said no one ever.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Big Wave
    "You don't really know Pearl Jams music? Well have I got a song for you. It's called Big wave"! Said no one ever.

Haha!  Well said. 
  • Options
    pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    I'm Open
    fourth time is a charm
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Big Wave
    Pretty much a forgone conclusion as to which two will be the finalists, but I might as well see the voting right through. I'm Open is at least atmospheric, though i have always felt that Ed rushes through it with some odd phrasing in parts. Still better than Big Wave, though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    Big Wave

nice one!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Big Wave
    deep kicked some serious ass at fenway 2!
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Deep
    didn't know what to pick between big wave and i'm open so i picked deep. doesn't matter, glorified g needs to win! (sorry deep, love you!)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Big Wave
    didn't know what to pick between big wave and i'm open so i picked deep. doesn't matter, glorified g needs to win! (sorry deep, love you!)

That's the weirdest non-logic we've encountered here yet. Congrats!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Big Wave

That's the weirdest non-logic we've encountered here yet. Congrats!
    It's a strategy that sets a tone for the epic final. Gets people to rethink/overthink/second guess their pick.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Glorified G
    Is Glorified G really going to give Deep a challenge?
    That's crazy!  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Big Wave
    rgambs said:
    Is Glorified G really going to give Deep a challenge?
    That's crazy!  
    I predict the ratio will be 2 votes to 1 in favour of Deep. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Big Wave
    That fucking solo in Glorified G. Ed's scream. Slays. Big Wave is a kiddie pool. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    I'm Open
    That fucking solo in Glorified G. Ed's scream. Slays. Big Wave is a kiddie pool. 
    Abso-fuckin-lutely.  It is the total package.  Great, catchy guitar riff; classic Ed scream; angry message; melodic, memorable guitar solo.  Fits perfectly on Vs.  I don't see how you could say otherwise. 

I consider Glorified G a classic PJ song.  Not in the Alive, Black, Jeremy, Daughter, Porch, RVM echelon but fitting in perfectly with the solid A-/B+ group like Go, Animal, Not For You, Last Exit, Garden, Dissident, Why Go.   It wasn't an official radio single but was strong enough to get airplay on its own merits.  

All Ten and VS songs just kick ass.
  • Options
    Big Wave
    Abso-fuckin-lutely.  It is the total package.  Great, catchy guitar riff; classic Ed scream; angry message; melodic, memorable guitar solo.  Fits perfectly on Vs.  I don't see how you could say otherwise. 

I consider Glorified G a classic PJ song.  Not in the Alive, Black, Jeremy, Daughter, Porch, RVM echelon but fitting in perfectly with the solid A-/B+ group like Go, Animal, Not For You, Last Exit, Garden, Dissident, Why Go.   It wasn't an official radio single but was strong enough to get airplay on its own merits.  

I don't hate it. I just don't think it's anywhere near as good as Deep.
  • Options
    Big Wave

Yes, all Ten and Vs songs are indeed solid but I'd but the majority of those songs you listed (Go, Animal, NFY, Last Exit,...) as "Grade A" ones while Glorified G gets maybe a B-...kind of like Rats and WMA.

Admittedly, I'd probably put either Deep or Oceans at the bottom of the Ten pile (although I'm starting to understand why some of you are sick of Even Flow) but I'd still give them at WORST a B+.
  • Options
    Glorified G

It doesn't fit the album at all, sonically.  It's almost campy, and while I enjoy the message and the song itself, I feel like it's the most misplaced song on an album since The Beatles opened Rubber Soul with Drive My Car.
    It sounds like something that was written for the Backspacer sessions in it's tone.

Great song, just not as great as Alone, Wash, Brother, Hold On, Hard To Imagine, Yellow Ledbetter, or Footsteps, SOLAT and Breath, which are all better songs and better fits for the album, IMSO.
    To me, it's crazy that they had an entire album's worth of songs that didn't make it that were stronger fits for the album, if not better songs to boot.
    I wonder if it was put there deliberately to create a tension in the flow, or if somebody just really dug it and insisted on it's inclusion.
  • Options
    Glorified G
    I've always wanted to burn a copy of Vs with Alone in Glorified G's spot and revel in it's Best Album Ever status in that form.
  • Options
    Big Wave
    rgambs said:
    I've always wanted to burn a copy of Vs with Alone in Glorified G's spot and revel in it's Best Album Ever status in that form.
    that's some good thinking right there!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    I'm Open
    rgambs said:

It doesn't fit the album at all, sonically.  It's almost campy, and while I enjoy the message and the song itself, I feel like it's the most misplaced song on an album since The Beatles opened Rubber Soul with Drive My Car.
    It sounds like something that was written for the Backspacer sessions in it's tone.

Great song, just not as great as Alone, Wash, Brother, Hold On, Hard To Imagine, Yellow Ledbetter, or Footsteps, SOLAT and Breath, which are all better songs and better fits for the album, IMSO.
    To me, it's crazy that they had an entire album's worth of songs that didn't make it that were stronger fits for the album, if not better songs to boot.
    I wonder if it was put there deliberately to create a tension in the flow, or if somebody just really dug it and insisted on it's inclusion.
    Interesting.  I don't think it is the greatest song ever or anything, but I have never thought it was out of place. 
  • Options
    Big Wave
    rgambs said:

Interesting.  I don't think it is the greatest song ever or anything, but I have never thought it was out of place. 
    The nine songs that were listed are indeed incredible (for the most part) but I guess after almost 24 years, I've just accepted that Glorified G is part of Vs. I can't help but expect to hear it after Daughter ends.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Glorified G
    rgambs said:
    This would be awesome!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Glorified G
    Looks like I'll have to keep voting GG until Deep wins. May have to subscribe to the modified VS playlist and swap it for Hold On. I like the idea of Glorified being included as a change of pace, but for me, both WMA and Rats do that really well already. GG just doesn't fit for me.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Big Wave
    We all knew who would be in the finals...now who wins?
  • Options
    Big Wave
    Deep for the win!
This discussion has been closed.