Which Political Party Is Violent?

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

The shooting at a GOP baseball practice in DC to me by an apparent Democratic supporter does not make that party more violent the other. Some may say the Democratic Party is based on some violent acts due to riots and civil disobedience at protest marches. The way I see it, it's both parties....it's the blind followers of ANY political party are prone to political violence. LOVE to hear any relevant thoughts on the violence between our major political parties.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hi, g.

Hate is hate...

I think it's more about fucked up people than the party - if any - with which they're affiliated.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The pendulum swings.  Elections are now decided by the crazy fringe to tip the balance.  Can't just blame a party.  The Stupids have come out of nest on both sides.  Most people just have to shake our heads and shrug our shoulders so we don't get Twitter and Facebook death threats from making a sane and objectionable comment.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The far right and far left are both crazy imo. I m hoping sometime in the near future both sides sit down and try to actually make this country better. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I don't know about violence, but the left is definitely more anti-free speech. Just ask any conservative that tries to speak on a college campus.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Left is more destructive.  
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I've seen first hand conservatives getting plowed over trying to get into to see someone speak by the far left antifa group. Based on experience I'd say left is more violent 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I don't know about violence, but the left is definitely more anti-free speech. Just ask any conservative that tries to speak on a college campus.
    Both liberals and conservatives try to disinvite speakers whose opinions they disagree with, and apparently conservatives succeed in the disinvitations somewhat more often 

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.dailycaller.com/2015/11/22/freedom-of-speech-more-unwelcome-among-liberal-students-faculty/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    unsung said:
    Evidence?
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    unsung said:
    Evidence?
    Berkeley a few months back. 100s of thousands in damage 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Neither major party is violent.   Some unhinged people who go too far the rabbit hole may turn violent
    riley540 said:
    unsung said:
    Evidence?
    Berkeley a few months back. 100s of thousands in damage 
    One incident is not evidence for a blanket statement like that 
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:
    Evidence?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    The question isn't as important as the confirmation bias in people's answers. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    hedonist said:
    Hi, g.

Hate is hate...

I think it's more about fucked up people than the party - if any - with which they're affiliated.
    IMHO: Best answer so far.

MayDay10 said:
    Neither major party is violent.   Some unhinged people who go too far the rabbit hole may turn violent

IMHO: Tied for best answer.

The question isn't as important as the confirmation bias in people's answers. 
    IMHO: Best use of critical thinking.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    One party is lead by a man who encourages violence at his rallies and has even offered to pay the aggressor's medical bills. 

Sadly, this is not made up. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Well the most recent politician to get charged with assaulting a journalist was a Republican.
    What other aggression has there been by the parties recently?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Assholes are violent it doesn't matter which side they stand for ! It's funny but I don't remember asshole Nugent saying anything against the shooter of Gifford ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Evidence?
    A number doesn't reach the standard for evidence 

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    it is not the party. it is the ideology and the ever shrinking attention span of the american citizen. any time you have jingos and a 140 character limit to try to explain complex situations, your message is going to get lost. people will get angry, and that is where the violence comes from.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    it is not the party. it is the ideology and the ever shrinking attention span of the american citizen. any time you have jingos and a 140 character limit to try to explain complex situations, your message is going to get lost. people will get angry, and that is where the violence comes from.
    I'm not sure anger is the only trigger for violence.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Yes I saw this question pop up elsewhere on another music site and the OP was strictly blaming one party due to this criminal act. Violence is violence and hate is hate, one has to be particularly deranged to allow one's political views lead you to violence such as this crime.

I saw something on CBS Late Night that would interesting to try. In little league baseball all the way up through college after games the players all shake hands in congratulations for the game played. Just as they did after the game eventually played by both parties. Why not continue those congratulations after every session of Congress. One doesn't have to change your point of view just a simple reaching out open handed thanking the other side for just being here to rule on a bill etc.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    g under p said:
    Yes I saw this question pop up elsewhere on another music site and the OP was strictly blaming one party due to this criminal act. Violence is violence and hate is hate, one has to be particularly deranged to allow one's political views lead you to violence such as this crime.

I saw something on CBS Late Night that would interesting to try. In little league baseball all the way up through college after games the players all shake hands in congratulations for the game played. Just as they did after the game eventually played by both parties. Why not continue those congratulations after every session of Congress. One doesn't have to change your point of view just a simple reaching out open handed thanking the other side for just being here to rule on a bill etc.

Peace
    That would be hard to do because people are so split on issues but on the other hand, if there was to be this kind of cooperative spirit, maybe people wouldn't be so split on the issues.  I think most people want the same basic things- peace, a healthy planet, and to be able to have a good time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Speaking of kids sports. Have you seen a team where the coach is rude, disrespectful, and has no sportsmanship? All the kids follow their lead and usually are equally rude. Same with the players families. So a good question is which party leader is rude, antagonisitic, encourages violence, and fabricated enemies and creates division? 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    As has been said, it's about the person, not their party or belief. This would be no different than asking which religion is more violent. A person committing a violent act isn't a representation of any group, unless at the core, that organization encourages and promotes violence.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Speaking of kids sports. Have you seen a team where the coach is rude, disrespectful, and has no sportsmanship? All the kids follow their lead and usually are equally rude. Same with the players families. So a good question is which party leader is rude, antagonisitic, encourages violence, and fabricated enemies and creates division? 
    I've coached against those idiots many times in the last several years in youth lacrosse. Yelling at refs, parents, kids, getting kicked out, it's pretty common sadly enough.  One thing I can say though is rarely are the kids at fault and rarely do they act like the coach at all.  More often than not, in fact, the kids are awesome and behave really well even though the coach is completely out of control.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    tbergs said:
    As has been said, it's about the person, not their party or belief. This would be no different than asking which religion is more violent. A person committing a violent act isn't a representation of any group, unless at the core, that organization encourages and promotes violence.
    There can be a definate influence from the group leader. The idea that everyone acts completely independent is a myth of our culture.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    There can be a definate influence from the group leader. The idea that everyone acts completely independent is a myth of our culture.  
    I'd still argue that an unrighteous leader is only tapping in to what the core of those fringes truly believes. You make a good point though, Nazi Germany doesn't happen without a leader able to promote a message of intolerance at such a convincing level. At that point it becomes only those of true personal character and values who may be exempt from influence. For the most part people are easily influenced because they want to fit in and as long as it doesn't disrupt their life. If hate and violence can some how be given justification, then the masses will go along with it. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    The far right and far left are both crazy imo. I m hoping sometime in the near future both sides sit down and try to actually make this country better. 

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Red States Have Higher Crime Rates Than Blue States
    http://editions.lib.umn.edu/smartpolitics/2009/09/16/red-states-have-higher-crime-r/

Looks like we have a winner!!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    CM189191 said:
    Red States Have Higher Crime Rates Than Blue States
    http://editions.lib.umn.edu/smartpolitics/2009/09/16/red-states-have-higher-crime-r/

Looks like we have a winner!!
    Clearly more guns are the answer.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©