Banning phones and cameras at shows

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    Just ban stupid people.  Phones don't ruin shows... people ruin shows. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Keep your phone in your pocket ffs
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,307
    BAN THE PHOTOS/VIDEOS at shows. THose of us who went to concerts long before cells were able to deal just fine. Banning is rough but the artists need to take a strong stand to discourage the need to video every freaking song.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    RS65573 said:
    I think people are paying and should be able to do wtf they want. 

I dont usually look look at my phone. But you can't convince me your doing it for the audience. Your doing it to control your material.  
    I'm more on this thought process.  Plus as a parent with one who is still a toddler I WILL glance at my phone every twenty minutes or so for texts/missed calls wherever I go. I'm not one to record a show tho.  Takes me out of it. 
    As a parent with a toddler I'm always going to need to check my phone. Yes, concerts have been happening since long before cell phones but times have changed and they're essential now. Can you imagine if phones had been banned at the Ariana Grande show in Manchester?

I remember we had to hand in our phones at the PJ show at The Astoria in 2006. That's the only time I can remember such a strict 'no phones' policy being enforced. I agree with trying to limit the amount of photos or videos being taken (I admit to having taken a lot of photos and videos at shows in the past, but I always tried to be respectful of those around me) but banning phones outright is just not feasible these days.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    on2legs said:
    Just ban stupid people.  Phones don't ruin shows... people ruin shows. 

www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    How many of us were able to enjoy the RRHOF ceremony as it happened because of cellphones and Periscope? How about Wrigley? Fenway? The Ten show in Philadelphia?

Banning cellphones isn't the answer. Being more respectful of those around you while worrying less about what other people are doing is. IMO.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,307
    JimmyV said:
    How many of us were able to enjoy the RRHOF ceremony as it happened because of cellphones and Periscope? How about Wrigley? Fenway? The Ten show in Philadelphia?

Banning cellphones isn't the answer. Being more respectful of those around you while worrying less about what other people are doing is. IMO.
    So how do you tell people to be respectful when everyone wants to stick their phones high up in the air? It doesn't mean BAN the phones, but there has to be a call out from the artists on stage about proper behavior. I love it when the artists shame people in the front who are filming.  I wonder how many folks watch all the videos they take anyway....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I do love those BTN videos...  but I hate having a bunch of glowing screens in my peripheral.  :i_dunno:
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    If you want to see a show live, pay money to go see it live. Or buy the bootleg after the show happens. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Yep. Gotta be honest.  I would never record a show or even take a pic. But i love those periscopes.  

• scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    riley540 said:
    i saw Tool a few days ago and they had a strict no phone or camera policy and it honestly made the entire experience way better! I wish more artists would do this. Makes the show more feel more alive not having to look through a sea of screens. 

What do you think? Should phones be banned at shows? 
    After I saw Tool I thought the exact same thing.  I've always made a personal decision to not live my life, or an event like a concert through a camera (phone).

But it sure was nice to watch the show without having to see the show through a thousand other phones held up in the air to record.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    blah blah blah
    i wish there were more great/amazing fan taken videos on utube then there are already
    shitty cell phones that take shitty videos should be banned. quality cameras with amazing sound/video should not be
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JimmyV said:

So how do you tell people to be respectful when everyone wants to stick their phones high up in the air? It doesn't mean BAN the phones, but there has to be a call out from the artists on stage about proper behavior. I love it when the artists shame people in the front who are filming.  I wonder how many folks watch all the videos they take anyway....
    It's a fair point. I do think people who are that obnoxious about their phones will be that obnoxious in other ways, though. Banning phones won't change that.

I'm all for practicing proper etiquette. Keeping your hand low, turning down the brightness of your screen, etc.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

It's a fair point. I do think people who are that obnoxious about their phones will be that obnoxious in other ways, though. Banning phones won't change that.

I'm all for practicing proper etiquette. Keeping your hand low, turning down the brightness of your screen, etc.

Screen brightness, YES!!  Honestly the video and picture taking wouldn't bother me near as much if people didn't act like they were in direct sunlight.  Turn that shit down!!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

At a minimum there should be an announcement at the start of the show.  Similar to what you see when you go to the movies.

If you make people aware most will do the right thing.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Banning phones/video/pics would not prevent fan videos or periscopes... the pro's among us who know what they are doing would still do their thing 

And frankly, periscope sucks... 

Phones and children are annoying at concerts... leave the kids at home and the phone in your pocket. Social media will still be there when you walk out
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    If people shot with courtesy (low brightness, no flash, minimal shots, don't hold above eye level, etc) then I think it'd be less a problem. Blurry video and people zooming in to a pixelated shot is just a waste and blocks other people's views... then again most people guilty of that are also drunk and would find other ways of annoying us without a phone I'm sure.

So don't ban phones, ban jerks with phones.
    :)

• pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    tschav said:
    If people shot with courtesy (low brightness, no flash, minimal shots, don't hold above eye level, etc) then I think it'd be less a problem. Blurry video and people zooming in to a pixelated shot is just a waste and blocks other people's views... then again most people guilty of that are also drunk and would find other ways of annoying us without a phone I'm sure.

So don't ban phones, ban jerks with phones.
    :)

if only there were jerk detectors at the entrance alongside the metal ones
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    RS65573 said:
    I think people are paying and should be able to do wtf they want. 

I dont usually look look at my phone. But you can't convince me your doing it for the audience. Your doing it to control your material.  
    this. who cares if people are using their phone if they use it in a way that doesn't bother you? if its in your face all the time then that's just a courtesy issue not a cell phone issue.

at fenway 2 there was a couple in front of me talking the whole time and i couldn't even hear the music. they didn't have cell phones out, they were just rude. there's no way to ban assholes at a show. if you have a phone be considerate, if theyre unobtrusive who cares? there's millions of ways to be an asshole at a show that has nothing to do with cell phones.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,808
    I say ban the phones.  Fenway 2 some dude was filming Eds every friggin step he took on stage.  He was holding the phone over his head it actually was blocking our view at times.  Just to loud to get his attention.  Guy next to me wanted to grab his phone and throw it over the green monster.  :anguished:
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    It's been said before but it's not a cell phone problem.  It's a common courtesy problem.  People need to be respectful of the audience around them, just like a movie theater.  I personally like to take a FEW photos and short videos during a show but I'm always mindful of my surroundings.  Don't ban the phones.  Ban people acting like morons (impossible to do). 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Dad's that haven't been out without their kids for 6 months, that attempt to drink like they can put them away like they did in the 90's, but can't handle more than 3 beers until they're hammered, are a much worse issue at shows than someone taking a picture.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    "What?? You're at a PJ show?? Fb live, or it didn't happen"

"Oh my gosh! Look at all the hearts and comments I'm getting on the screen I'm holding above my big dumb head the whole fucking show to validate my experience and fuck-up everybody else's view. I'm now super famous amongst PJ fans. I'm a hero"

I always knew that one day I will find a use for the madd coin-snapping skillz I acquired in middle school. double d. madd skills 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Most cell phone videos suck anyway so why bother?  I'd rather have one or two good shows or compilations by a band on quality DVD.  For example: Pearl Jam, "Touring Band", "Live at the Garden", "Immagine in Cornice", Dinosaur Jr, "Live in the Middle East", "Bug at 9:30 Club" or Neil Young and Crazy Horse, "Rust Never Sleeps Live", "Complex Sessions", "Weld", "Year of the Horse". 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    From The Arcade Fire  email for their upcoming Brooklyn show....

PHONE-FREE VIEWING EXPERIENCE:

No cellphones, cameras or recording devices will be allowed at this show. Upon arrival, all phones and smart watches will be secured in Yondr pouches that will be unlocked at the end of the show. Guests maintain possession of their phones throughout the night, and if needed, may access their phones at designated Yondr unlocking stations in the lobby.

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    that doesn't make arcade fire a good band. just saying
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    In Taormina they were going up and down the aisle with flashlights shining them on people that had cell phones up mid row. Talk about distracting.   
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    From The Arcade Fire  email for their upcoming Brooklyn show....

PHONE-FREE VIEWING EXPERIENCE:

No cellphones, cameras or recording devices will be allowed at this show. Upon arrival, all phones and smart watches will be secured in Yondr pouches that will be unlocked at the end of the show. Guests maintain possession of their phones throughout the night, and if needed, may access their phones at designated Yondr unlocking stations in the lobby.

I'm down with that, Bentley.

But did you see their steamy stinky pile of bullshit regarding "dress codes"?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I try to live by the rule of if everyone else did it, would it bother me?
    I'd never take video because I want to punch people when they hold their phone up in front of me to record them playing my favorite song (or any song).
    however, if they hold their phone up for 3-4 seconds to take a quick picture or two I'm fine with that (I don't think flash is ever needed from the audience).
    Im guilty of snapping 1-2 pictures when I have great seats, then putting my phone away.  If I have crappy seats I'll take a pic of the marquis to text some friends who didn't go and leave it in my pocket the whole show.
    i was about 7-8 people deep in the pit at Weigley 2013 and the only picture I took was of the scoreboard before they even took the stage.

o yeah, and of Matt's drum cases during the weather delay. The tunnel they shoved us into had all of his cases for his kit with his name and Pearl Jam painted on it. I posted those pics on FB saying I got to hang out with the band. That was the moment I realized I had dumb friends when they beleieve me and didn't even ask why I was posing for pictures with the gear instead of the band.