The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited June 2017
    Fuck do I know? Day is +7
    Crazy.  And funny to see Rory in that fescue all day after his comments the other day.  Guys that played this morning obviously had a huge advantage.  It rained a ton yesterday so course was nice and soft and wasn't very windy yet.  
    Yeah, a tad ironic. Just brutal. Top 5 players in the world could miss the cut? Some fun players towards the top still though. 

hadwin can score, huh?

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Crazy.  And funny to see Rory in that fescue all day after his comments the other day.  Guys that played this morning obviously had a huge advantage.  It rained a ton yesterday so course was nice and soft and wasn't very windy yet.  
    Yeah, a tad ironic. Just brutal. Top 5 players in the world could miss the cut? Some fun players towards the top still though. 

hadwin can score, huh?

Crazy how much the top guys are struggling.  I'm guessing at least 1 of them is going to make a big move today.

edited June 2017

hadwin can score, huh?

Crazy how much the top guys are struggling.  I'm guessing at least 1 of them is going to make a big move today.

Yeah, I think one of them gets back in the mix.  Always random names up top at the US Open early.  Some random winners too, but a lot of them fall off.

This Si Woo Kim kid is gonna be good.

How has Paul Casey only won once and in 2009?  Some brass ones bouncing back today.

Impressive from this Xander kid.  Edit: was gonna add that he is going to quickly fall off as these greens become faster and the pins more difficult and then he blows one 15 feet by.

Gonna be an interesting afternoon.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

hadwin can score, huh?

Yeah, I think one of them gets back in the mix.  Always random names up top at the US Open early.  Some random winners too, but a lot of them fall off.

How has Paul Casey only won once and in 2009?  Some brass ones bouncing back today.

Impressive from this Xander kid.  Edit: was gonna add that he is going to quickly fall off as these greens become faster and the pins more difficult and then he blows one 15 feet by.

That Paul Casey stat is blowing my mind.  Only 1 win???  That's crazy.  I would have guessed he had at least 6-7 wins.  But he does have 13 wins on the Euro Tour.  Still surprising that only 1 on the PGA Tour.

DJ and Spieth off to a nice start in the afternoon here....not much wind right now so definitely opportunity for guys to go low.  Can't believe how badly Day played...almost in dead last.  US Open's are brutal.

hadwin can score, huh?

That Paul Casey stat is blowing my mind.  Only 1 win???  That's crazy.  I would have guessed he had at least 6-7 wins.  But he does have 13 wins on the Euro Tour.  Still surprising that only 1 on the PGA Tour.

DJ and Spieth off to a nice start in the afternoon here....not much wind right now so definitely opportunity for guys to go low.  Can't believe how badly Day played...almost in dead last.  US Open's are brutal.
    Crazy, right? So hard to believe.

Interesting leaderboard. I want koepka or fowler. I could get down with juggs boy too.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

MAT

SU

YA

MA

Or Fowler....

Either way, your Juggler will be happy and a little bit richer.

So many guys have a shot. This is going to be a fun weekend. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah or Justin Thomas. That's my guy. Didn't see this front 9 coming
    This tournament got fun in a hurry

fucking Justin Thomas 
    Be as good as you look!
    That fucking shot!
    It's the pants. What a fucking round. 
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    And Tin Cup's 62 still stands!
    norm said:
    And Tin Cup's 62 still stands!
    If only he made that other eagle putt....62 on a 72...
    What a round from Thomas.  That 2nd shot on 18 was unreal.

What a miserable old fuck he is.  He's still salty that Fox has the US Open rights.  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Hey may be a miserable old guy but that doesn't mean he is wrong.  Just speaks his mind.

What a miserable old fuck he is.  He's still salty that Fox has the US Open rights.  

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    These Links style courses are not very exciting to watch.  I know this course isn't links but it has the same look.  Give me some trees and water hazards to add some differentiation.   The Players is in my opinion a great tourney to watch as there are so many distinct holes.  Same with the Masters.   I know we are familiar with those courses as we see them every year.  

Isn't he right, though? Everyone has been ripping the course for how easy it is....

I was hoping Ricky and Thomas would've been matched up together. Either way, this has all the makings of a great final Sunday
    chinese-happy.jpg

Isn't he right, though? Everyone has been ripping the course for how easy it is....

I was hoping Ricky and Thomas would've been matched up together. Either way, this has all the makings of a great final Sunday
    Idk. Maybe partly. For one the course is a par 72, so naturally the scores are going to be lower in relation to par. It ate some of the best players in the world up and the weather has been perfect for the players. No real wind and rain overnight on multiple occasions. Think this would play a bit differently if th course were faster and there was more wind.

i like a tough Us open test as much as anyone, I just don't see the big deal. 

Idk. Maybe partly. For one the course is a par 72, so naturally the scores are going to be lower in relation to par. It ate some of the best players in the world up and the weather has been perfect for the players. No real wind and rain overnight on multiple occasions. Think this would play a bit differently if th course were faster and there was more wind.

Yeah, I don't understand the obsession with golf fans wanting the US Open to be impossible to post low scores.  This course isn't the crazy tough, but like you said the conditions have been ideal for low scores.  I mean, are people really mad that JT hit a 3 wood 300 fucking yards to within 5 feet and eagled 18???  No course is going to stop shots like that.  Looks like it's pretty windy there today, so maybe people will get their wish of some high scores.

Yeah, I don't understand the obsession with golf fans wanting the US Open to be impossible to post low scores.  This course isn't the crazy tough, but like you said the conditions have been ideal for low scores.  I mean, are people really mad that JT hit a 3 wood 300 fucking yards to within 5 feet and eagled 18???  No course is going to stop shots like that.  Looks like it's pretty windy there today, so maybe people will get their wish of some high scores.
    Right! People are mad that that perfect 300 yard 3 wood didn't run off the green. Fuck that. That was a perfect shot and should be rewarded accordingly, not run off the back.

Definitely looks like a tough one out there today 
    Fuck Justin Thomas

Lets go Rickie!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I could do without the prop plane noise. I know it's FOX, but you'd think they might have the technology to mute the moise from above.

it's gonna be a good afternoon.

and, yes norm, I blame tiger for the blimp crash. fuck that guy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I was just gonna say I've enjoyed Fox's coverage this week. 

The plane noise is bugging you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    espn > fox :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I could do without the prop plane noise. I know it's FOX, but you'd think they might have the technology to mute the moise from above.

it's gonna be a good afternoon.

and, yes norm, I blame tiger for the blimp crash. fuck that guy.
    Lol, I think Joe Buck was just talking about you
    I think this is gonna end tomorrow 

Want one of the Americans not name Harman
    Not sure how I feel about Azinger's shtick