Banning phones and cameras at shows

riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
i saw Tool a few days ago and they had a strict no phone or camera policy and it honestly made the entire experience way better! I wish more artists would do this. Makes the show more feel more alive not having to look through a sea of screens. 

What do you think? Should phones be banned at shows? 

Comments

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    I think people are paying and should be able to do wtf they want. 

I dont usually look look at my phone. But you can't convince me your doing it for the audience. Your doing it to control your material.  
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    riley540 said:
    i saw Tool a few days ago and they had a strict no phone or camera policy and it honestly made the entire experience way better! I wish more artists would do this. Makes the show more feel more alive not having to look through a sea of screens. 

What do you think? Should phones be banned at shows? 
    I think general inconsiderateness should be banned at shows.

The phone thing is a sore spot for me, at it ruined a much-awaited show of a much-loved band.

Snap a shot or something and then put that shit away.  PLEASE!

Golden goddamn rule.

Hoping to see Tool here in a few months!  Hope you dug it (moreso sans phones).
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I've never been bothered by cameras at shows. I have been bothered by security dive-bombing into the seats to tell someone in front of me who I didn't know was filming to put their phone away. That sucked.

Also, I love YouTube videos.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    If I consider my home town live venue, 2/3 years ago, it was a nightmare at almost all shows, I am quite small and all I could see was arms, phones and even go-pros...
    Right know, people seems to have understood that filming a whole show is ruining your experience and others experience because the use of phone is slowly diminishing.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • CJ23113CJ23113 Long Island Posts: 187
    Ban them enjoy the show!!!!! That's what your there for not to watch the show through the phone. Was at a show the other night this guy in front of me didn't take his eyes off his phone recording the whole show.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2017
    RS65573 said:
    I think people are paying and should be able to do wtf they want. 

I dont usually look look at my phone. But you can't convince me your doing it for the audience. Your doing it to control your material.  
    I'm more on this thought process.  Plus as a parent with one who is still a toddler I WILL glance at my phone every twenty minutes or so for texts/missed calls wherever I go. I'm not one to record a show tho.  Takes me out of it. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I'm all for banning that shit 100%.  ACL tapings for pbs here are all phone free and it makes the experience so much better.  If you can't stay off your phone for 3 hours you shouldn't be at a concert, go to your job instead.

it will never happen, the world has changed I know, but the best concert years were all before phone cameras existed.  People gave a shit about each other and the music, not themselves and their videos.

aaaaaaaannnnddddddddd rant over.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm thrilled to see so many "no cell phone" votes here!  That's encouraging!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Ban the phones! Ban the phones! 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Once with Jack White. he made a point to say no phones and be "in the moment". And they are forbidden in the Blue Room at TMR.
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    Saw Tool too and I liked the fact they did that. No one (around me anyway) was going up and down the sections making sure no one had their phone out and for the most part everyone obeyed and there wasn't a screen in my face. I was a show a few weeks ago, I had to ask a guy to either move behind me or stop filming because I couldn't see and he actually stopped. Just go to the back if you're going to watch through your phone. 
  • bbisonbbison Posts: 215
    I was at one show (forget the artist) where the policy was do what you wish for 3 songs then put them away. That worked well.
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Yes, it's the best policy. Nobody is distracted and everyone is totally in the moment. The less zombies around the better.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Worked great at EV in Berlin. 

People still sneaked in a photo or too, but it wasn't intrusive like at a PJ show.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    yes ban that shit....there were two fucking idiots in front of me at the RHCP show a month or so ago that were BOTH recording the ENTIRE FUCKING SHOW.  We kept wishing their batteries would run out at some point.  The guy kept turning the camera around and making stupid faces at it...the video would be absolutely worthless to watch because he was moving around so much.

Didn't ruin our show but it was irritating as hell to have those screens in my face the ENTIRE SHOW.  

I remember being told by security to put my phone down during the 2010 tour for PJ.  They didn't mind pictures but if you held up your phone too long they assumed you were taking video and would tell you to put it down.  At a minimum they should do that.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    I don't mind someone that takes a picture or two, but the people who are taking the shitty videos that they're probably never going to watch again really get on my nerves.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Looks like I'm in the tiniest of minorities. I don't like the idea of a ban because it is just one more rule for over zealous security guards to enforce. I've seen that go badly in the past. Security, not cell phones, was the true distraction at Eddie's 2012 solo shows in Clearwater, FL.

Be respectful of those around you. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. And respect goes both ways. If the person in front of you is blocking your view with a camera, that's one thing. But if the guy next to you is recording from a low angle with the brightness of his screen turned down, that's something else. Live and let live.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
     Other Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle ban the use of phones and cameras. They are very clear in emails that go out to ticket purchasers. If you bring your phone they give you one of those lock bags ( http://overyondr.com/) to put them in. The whole process works very well and makes the shows that much better.

• wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I hate when people have them out recoding a whole show, a song or two throughout the concert I don't mind. But now there's periscope and Facebook live, which I'm sure a lot of us were watching on last years tour. It's sort of a catch 22, annoyed when it happens when you're at the show but then appreciate when someone does and your able to experience the show live when you're not. 
    NYPJ
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Ban video taping and photos!!! I hate that shit.  I m not a fan of watching shows on YouTube.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    I watch the odd video on youtube, so I do benefit a little from it, but not enough that I'm on the other side of the argument.

I've heard about the seal-able bag technology where your cell phone gets sealed into a special bag when you enter the venue, and unseals when you leave.  I thought that was pretty cool technology as people retain possession of their phone, they simply can't use it.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I'm OK with photos, not with video.  No iPads under any circumstances.  I would be OK with a no phones policy.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited June 2017
    Same as above, I have kids and need my phone.
    But I cant stand the people that feel the need to record everything. Put the phone down and enjoy the show!
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2017
    Get_Right said:
    Same as above, I have kids and need my phone.
    But I cant stand the people that feel the need to record everything. Put the phone down and enjoy the show!

Yes x100.   I realize parents went to shows for decades without phones but it's my means of communication when I'm gone.  Too paranoid without it.  I never film shows ever so I'm probably in the minority.  
  • RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    I'm all for banning that shit 100%.  ACL tapings for pbs here are all phone free and it makes the experience so much better.  If you can't stay off your phone for 3 hours you shouldn't be at a concert, go to your job instead.

it will never happen, the world has changed I know, but the best concert years were all before phone cameras existed.  People gave a shit about each other and the music, not themselves and their videos.

aaaaaaaannnnddddddddd rant over.
    So sad. That Yondr thing is cool and sure there will be more ideas to come to hopefully rid this fad.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that phones be confiscated at the door...just discouraged from taking pics and videos during the show
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that phones be confiscated at the door...just discouraged from taking pics and videos during the show
    Exactly
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Yes!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I knew we had a topic like this earlier.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/210051

I would say no to banning them.  I don't mind it as much.  I do it (not as much as some people though).  It does get annoying if that is all they do throughout the whole show though.  Kinda cool to see videos from about 10 years ago of just about any shows where no one was doing it at all. 

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    With PJ I especially don't understand the need to video the whole thing (if any). The bootleg will be available after anyways now 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016