NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,239
    So looks like Golden State won't be going to the White House
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,974
    NBA Champion Warriors!!! LeBron was incredible but they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. As a lifelong fan I'm still dumbfounded what the Warriors have become. This franchise was crap for almost two decades. Bad trades, bad draft picks and I didn't know if they could ever become a consistent playoff team, let alone the monster they have built. 

Also so for those who thought KD was joining some unstoppable team you're dead wrong. I still say they don't even make the Finals without him. As for the Finals they would have been fortunate to win 2 games without him, the Cavs were ferocious, maybe the best team LeBron has ever played on. The Warriors would have beaten the crap out of any of those Miami teams. Kyrie is playing at a higher level than even Dwayne Wade in his prime and that's saying something. Props to the Cavs for fighting to the end.
    Not sure how old you are but if you can remember Hardaway, Webber, Mullin, Marshall just to name a few of the old guard.

So I saw sloppy basketball from the Cavs.  I saw Isolation basketball from the cavs.  Missed shots and missed opportunities.  Cavs need to tighten up more.

Congrats to the Warriors.  They are amazing at driving a dagger in with the barrage of 3's that they make in bunches.  We have at least 2 more years of this I think before the team gets dismantled because of contracts.
    Tim Hardaway Mitch Richmond Chris Mullin --RUN TMC. They were mostly late 80's early 90's though. What a fun team to watch back then. Loved playing as them in NBA Live 94. Miss those days.

Run TMC was the team I first followed as a kid. My dad had season tickets during that time period. What an exciting team they were, I still remember them upsetting the Spurs in 91. Trading Richmond for Billy Owens was an awful trade. Then of course they got Webber and then that blew up in their face when he couldn't get along with Neillie. The Sprewell years, trying to build around Antwan Jamison and Larry Hughes. Drafting Curry changed everything though and here we are today.
    I grew up going to those games and watching Run TMC. Can't forget Christ Gatling in that group. Les Jepsen, the token Iowa white boy and so many others. Still in shock the Warriors have become what they are. This should give hope to the other franchises that it could be their turn at some point also.  
    Great draft picks is key.  How's that working for the 76'ers and Charlotte?
    Pretty good for the Sixers actually. Check back with them next year.
    You're joking right?  We both watched the same NBA season?
  • Options
    NBA Champion Warriors!!! LeBron was incredible but they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. As a lifelong fan I'm still dumbfounded what the Warriors have become. This franchise was crap for almost two decades. Bad trades, bad draft picks and I didn't know if they could ever become a consistent playoff team, let alone the monster they have built. 

Also so for those who thought KD was joining some unstoppable team you're dead wrong. I still say they don't even make the Finals without him. As for the Finals they would have been fortunate to win 2 games without him, the Cavs were ferocious, maybe the best team LeBron has ever played on. The Warriors would have beaten the crap out of any of those Miami teams. Kyrie is playing at a higher level than even Dwayne Wade in his prime and that's saying something. Props to the Cavs for fighting to the end.
    Not sure how old you are but if you can remember Hardaway, Webber, Mullin, Marshall just to name a few of the old guard.

So I saw sloppy basketball from the Cavs.  I saw Isolation basketball from the cavs.  Missed shots and missed opportunities.  Cavs need to tighten up more.

Congrats to the Warriors.  They are amazing at driving a dagger in with the barrage of 3's that they make in bunches.  We have at least 2 more years of this I think before the team gets dismantled because of contracts.
    Tim Hardaway Mitch Richmond Chris Mullin --RUN TMC. They were mostly late 80's early 90's though. What a fun team to watch back then. Loved playing as them in NBA Live 94. Miss those days.

Run TMC was the team I first followed as a kid. My dad had season tickets during that time period. What an exciting team they were, I still remember them upsetting the Spurs in 91. Trading Richmond for Billy Owens was an awful trade. Then of course they got Webber and then that blew up in their face when he couldn't get along with Neillie. The Sprewell years, trying to build around Antwan Jamison and Larry Hughes. Drafting Curry changed everything though and here we are today.
    I grew up going to those games and watching Run TMC. Can't forget Christ Gatling in that group. Les Jepsen, the token Iowa white boy and so many others. Still in shock the Warriors have become what they are. This should give hope to the other franchises that it could be their turn at some point also.  
    Oh you were thinking they would be good immediately? They're set up pretty damn good going forward
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    So much smoke being blown right now. It'll be Fultz, Ball and Jackson.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Oh you were thinking they would be good immediately? They're set up pretty damn good going forward
    They have prospects which in the NBA does not amount to much. I get what they are doing but there is still high potential this is never ending as one guy busts after another. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

They have prospects which in the NBA does not amount to much. I get what they are doing but there is still high potential this is never ending as one guy busts after another. 
    He said was implying that the Sixers have not drafted well which was funny to me. The only pick I have not liked is Okafor. They've been unlucky with health but next year we'll finally see Simmons and Embiid on the floor together, along with Saric who is a rookie of the year finalist. Yeah, too early to tell what will happen but they've put themselves in a very position moving forward with another high lottery pick this year and more cap space than anyone in the league. Same cannot be said for his Knicks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

He said was implying that the Sixers have not drafted well which was funny to me. The only pick I have not liked is Okafor. They've been unlucky with health but next year we'll finally see Simmons and Embiid on the floor together, along with Saric who is a rookie of the year finalist. Yeah, too early to tell what will happen but they've put themselves in a very position moving forward with another high lottery pick this year and more cap space than anyone in the league. Same cannot be said for his Knicks. 
    They are in a very nice position. But a position that could end up not being what they hoped for by any means. Embiid can't stay on the court. Dude could be a stud if he can stay healthy. Too early to tell on Okafor but the off the court issues are troublesome. Simmons could be the difference maker and the guy that gets them over the hump but we have yet to see him. As of now though there is only hope and not much on the court to show for all the tanking. At some point you need to start winning and making progress towards being a good team. While Saric is a good player he is not going to be the guy that gets you over the hump.   
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191

They are in a very nice position. But a position that could end up not being what they hoped for by any means. Embiid can't stay on the court. Dude could be a stud if he can stay healthy. Too early to tell on Okafor but the off the court issues are troublesome. Simmons could be the difference maker and the guy that gets them over the hump but we have yet to see him. As of now though there is only hope and not much on the court to show for all the tanking. At some point you need to start winning and making progress towards being a good team. While Saric is a good player he is not going to be the guy that gets you over the hump.   
    the Juggler tried to argue in the Sixers thread that Embiid was healthy last season despite only playing 31 games...in 2 years so there is a bit of delusion there.

one giant concern i have with the Sixers makeup is their last 3 top picks have been 2 centers and a point forward who can't shoot in an era where the game is clearly perimeter oriented.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    I think Fox will be the surprise in years to come.  That kid is sooooo athletic.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    JK_Livin said:
    I think Fox will be the surprise in years to come.  That kid is sooooo athletic.
    Not sure it will be a surprise about Fox, considering he's gonna be a Top 8 Draft pick. I know i like him a lot, even though he went to KenCrooky>LOL!

I agree with JK, unless ther is a trade?
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    I like Fox as well.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Agreed that they are in a nice position. And that's the point. They're in a nice position right now because they have drafted well, except for Okafor. Not sure how closely you've followed the team, but last season was going to be the year they started to try and win but got unlucky with Simmons hurting himself at the end of training camp. And even with Embiid being healthy for half the season, they still won 18 more games than they did. Now you add Simmons, this year's pick and whatever else they do, and you'll see some more steps in the right direction this year. 

Minus a 5 year stretch with Allen Iverson, they're set up better than they have been at any point for most of the last 3 decades. Of course, it's too early to tell if this will all work, but they've done a great job of tearing down and rebuilding. The wins/losses record has got to start reflecting that moreso next season (again, it would have last year but they were unlucky with Ben). It's a good time to be a fan of this team.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Agreed that they are in a nice position. And that's the point. They're in a nice position right now because they have drafted well, except for Okafor. Not sure how closely you've followed the team, but last season was going to be the year they started to try and win but got unlucky with Simmons hurting himself at the end of training camp. And even with Embiid being healthy for half the season, they still won 18 more games than they did. Now you add Simmons, this year's pick and whatever else they do, and you'll see some more steps in the right direction this year. 

Minus a 5 year stretch with Allen Iverson, they're set up better than they have been at any point for most of the last 3 decades. Of course, it's too early to tell if this will all work, but they've done a great job of tearing down and rebuilding. The wins/losses record has got to start reflecting that moreso next season (again, it would have last year but they were unlucky with Ben). It's a good time to be a fan of this team.
    The Sixers are like the Knicks.  They are a badly run organization.

You can get lucky with drafting but if you can't develop them(see Porzingas and every other pick) then the picks you made will go for naught.

I'm excited to see what the lakers and the Celtics do on their rebuild.  The Spurs always draft well too.

The last 3 teams I mentioned all have something in common...
  • Options

You can get lucky with drafting but if you can't develop them(see Porzingas and every other pick) then the picks you made will go for naught.

I'm excited to see what the lakers and the Celtics do on their rebuild.  The Spurs always draft well too.

Sorry....you lost me when you compared the Sixers to the Knicks. You serious?

The Knicks are a classic example of short term thinking. That's why they're always loaded up with bad contracts. The Sixers have been playing the long game since Hinkie came aboard and have accumulated a ton of assets and a ton of cap space and appear ready to pounce.

What the hell do the Knicks have?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^
    You see why it was important to accumulate those assets over the last few years now?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Sorry....you lost me when you compared the Sixers to the Knicks. You serious?

The Knicks are a classic example of short term thinking. That's why they're always loaded up with bad contracts. The Sixers have been playing the long game since Hinkie came aboard and have accumulated a ton of assets and a ton of cap space and appear ready to pounce.

What the hell do the Knicks have?

They are both badly run organizations.  That was my comparison.

To be fair with the Knicks since Jackson got there he has been dumping contracts.  But I can't figure for the life of me why he decided to pick up Rose and Noah.  I was hoping Noah had a little left in the tank, but no.

Oh and the Knicks have MSG.  That is the ONLY thing they have going for them, lol.

George wants to go to the Lakers.  No shock here.  I mentioned this after they got ousted from the playoffs.  I'm hoping that the Lakers don't do something dumb like trade their #3 for him.  Wait another year and he will walk over.

I'm wondering about John Wall next.  I would think that he would want out also?

Lastly, Ainge traded the #1 to the 76ers.  THEY have assets.

With the Buss brother gone and Jeanie and Magic running things in LA maybe they will finally do some good with their DP's. That organization really went to shit when John took over.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pretty sure the Sixers are not poorly run, fella. You're thinking of the Sixers from a decade ago when Ed Snider owned the team. 

The Sixers acquired number one because THEY had the assets to do it. Now they are loaded with young talent whose ceilings are through the roof. All they need now is time to jell, health, and some veterans sprinkled in. 

Sixers have been playing the long game and are set up nicely to take advantage of the East when Lebron finally goes away. That's not something a poorly run organization has the foresight to do. 

Best of luck to your Knicks. 

Also--I would be scared to death of Magic running my team if I were a Lakers fan. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Pacers better shop PG13 around and try to get something out of him.  No sense just letting him walk with nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    Pretty sure the Sixers are not poorly run, fella. You're thinking of the Sixers from a decade ago when Ed Snider owned the team. 

The Sixers acquired number one because THEY had the assets to do it. Now they are loaded with young talent whose ceilings are through the roof. All they need now is time to jell, health, and some veterans sprinkled in. 

Sixers have been playing the long game and are set up nicely to take advantage of the East when Lebron finally goes away. That's not something a poorly run organization has the foresight to do. 

Also--I would be scared to death of Magic running my team if I were a Lakers fan. 
    76ers got a ranking of 22/30 for management so I can only imagine what they were like 10 years ago so what you guys have now must seem like heaven.  The only good things I read about the 76ers is on the "process" thread in here.  Also If Embiid does really become as good as people hope I will be the first to say I was wrong.

Knicks are 30th right where they should be.  Oh and I'm not a Knicks fan just a basketball fan in general.  I have enjoyed watching the train wreck though!

Magic Johnson is not the same person he was when he tried his hand at coaching and a talk show.  Since those disasters he's done investing and business deals that were very profitable.  He does have a good basketball mind and they can only do better considering the draft picks that they have made the last few years...  Bring West back and this team would have some positivity but he's with the Clippers.

Heyward to the Celtics?  He would have a nice team in future coming there.

I'm still liking Fox as the better long term player in this draft too.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

76ers got a ranking of 22/30 for management so I can only imagine what they were like 10 years ago so what you guys have now must seem like heaven.  The only good things I read about the 76ers is on the "process" thread in here.  Also If Embiid does really become as good as people hope I will be the first to say I was wrong.

Knicks are 30th right where they should be.  Oh and I'm not a Knicks fan just a basketball fan in general.  I have enjoyed watching the train wreck though!

Magic Johnson is not the same person he was when he tried his hand at coaching and a talk show.  Since those disasters he's done investing and business deals that were very profitable.  He does have a good basketball mind and they can only do better considering the draft picks that they have made the last few years...  Bring West back and this team would have some positivity but he's with the Clippers.

I'm not sure how official your rankings (here's one from December that has the Sixers ranked 8thhttp://basketball.realgm.com/article/244424/2016-Year-End-NBA-Team-Portfolio-Rankings) are but one can only assume they are going to fly up the charts after this weekend. Sixers are in a very good position right now in the East. And if this place is the only area you are seeing good things being said about the Sixers right now, google.com is a pretty good search engine. Lots of positive reviews of this trade and the process in general, now that it's come to it's fruition.

Go look at the dumb things Magic has said on twitter over the last few years to get an idea of what kind of front office person he's going to be...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,485
    Hope Danny Ainge's tricks will work..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

I'm not sure how official your rankings (here's one from December that has the Sixers ranked 8thhttp://basketball.realgm.com/article/244424/2016-Year-End-NBA-Team-Portfolio-Rankings) are but one can only assume they are going to fly up the charts after this weekend. Sixers are in a very good position right now in the East. And if this place is the only area you are seeing good things being said about the Sixers right now, google.com is a pretty good search engine. Lots of positive reviews of this trade and the process in general, now that it's come to it's fruition.

Go look at the dumb things Magic has said on twitter over the last few years to get an idea of what kind of front office person he's going to be...
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19031533/gm-president-ratings-1-30

The only way they fly up the charts is if they actually win.  That's still a few years away so we are on the 6th year of the "process" right now?  After 10 years and it doesn't work what's next?

I really hope it does work but things don't look well.

I'm curious if all the good reporting on the Sixers that you are reading is local?  Here in NY the local reporting is delusional about the sports teams.  I've listened about how good the Knicks were going to be and I told everyone they are nuts...

Magic says dumb things, yes.  He also has a very high Bball IQ so he gets a pass on a handful of dumb things.

• Options

The only way they fly up the charts is if they actually win.  That's still a few years away so we are on the 6th year of the "process" right now?  After 10 years and it doesn't work what's next?

I'm curious if all the good reporting on the Sixers that you are reading is local?  Here in NY the local reporting is delusional about the sports teams.  I've listened about how good the Knicks were going to be and I told everyone they are nuts...

Magic says dumb things, yes.  He also has a very high Bball IQ so he gets a pass on a handful of dumb things.

It hasn't been 6 years. 
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

It hasn't been 6 years. 
    Sorry, 5 years.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

It hasn't been 6 years. 
    Sorry, 5 years.
    This is the beginning of year 5. More light at the end of this tunnel then with the Larry Hughes, Spencer Hawes, Thaddeous Young's, Evan Turners and Iguodala being your best player. 
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    JK_Livin said:

It hasn't been 6 years. 
    Sorry, 5 years.
    This is the beginning of year 5. More light at the end of this tunnel then with the Larry Hughes, Spencer Hawes, Thaddeous Young's, Evan Turners and Iguodala being your best player. 
    Like I said, I'd love to see it work but odds are it won't.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

10 years? Ummm...it's been 4. This kind of shows how little you've been paying attention, but anyway.....And they were a few games out of the playoffs last year when Embiid got hurt and Simmons missed the whole year. If you can make an argument that they were in a better situation 10 years ago then they are now, I'm all ears. Have at it. 

Why do you think things don't look well? You've said this before but have not elaborated why you feel this way or why you felt they are a poorly run organization. You just referenced their record, but they've been trying to win yet. They have a lot of young talent with ceilings through the roof and more cap space than anyone in the league. You're saying this is a bad thing, right?

Local? Ha....no. The local papers covering the team are useless. Via google.com, here's 4 quick articles you may want to look at:

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/17/trade-grades-draft-sixers-celtics-no-1-pick-markelle-fultz-joel-embiid-picks 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/18/15822416/sixers-trade-celtics-sam-hinkie-markelle-fultz-nba-draft 

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-who-won-boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-trade-b3fe116a7ed9 

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/16/markelle-fultz-would-be-a-perfect-acquisition-for-the-sixers/

Magic Johnson was one of the best players in the history of the game. In no way, shape, or form does that make him a good front office person. As an example, let's bring this back to your Knicks. How did Isiah Thomas work out for them? 

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/02/21/the-best-magic-johnson-tweets-twitter-lakers-president/#!gallery-inline-embed-1857160-1857182-4

Michael Carter Williams is the next Jason Kidd - Magic Johnson.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Pacers better shop PG13 around and try to get something out of him.  No sense just letting him walk with nothing to show for it.
    PG said it was all about winning ... yet he just made it clear he is going to sign with a dumpster fire in sunny LA next year.  Pacers have no leverage now.  If they can't get anything, I say sit him on the bench the entire season.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    My take on the Sixers...if you don't make the playoffs in the east, even with important pieces missing, it's hard to say you're on the way up. Unless one of those missing pieces is a Lebron/Durant type talent, it's not gonna make a difference.