Of Potato heads and Polaroids

Comments

• scurtis said:
    A cool book. Here's mine:

Love the little note you got on yours Del.
    Yah me too! Thanks.

When I first ordered it, I thought everyone was going to get one of mikes 20,000 (non favourite) polaroids- making each purchase pretty cool.

That's obviously not the case, but the little individual touches Mike has put on the generic Polaroid print is a nice touch.

All that aside and repeating myself... a cool book.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    scurtis said:
    A cool book. Here's mine:

Love the little note you got on yours Del.
    Yah me too! Thanks.

When I first ordered it, I thought everyone was going to get one of mikes 20,000 (non favourite) polaroids- making each purchase pretty cool.

That's obviously not the case, but the little individual touches Mike has put on the generic Polaroid print is a nice touch.

All that aside and repeating myself... a cool book.
    Yeah I think most of us thought that when ordering.  Oh well.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
    edited June 2017
    PP193448 said:
    demetrios said:
    Of Potato Heads and Polaroids - Autographed Copies!

Mike just stopped by and signed a few copies of his new book. We will randomly ship these copies to those who purchase the book over the next couple weeks.

Randomly? D'oh! 
    Yeah.  So forget about the people that preordered the book.  So now the rest of thiose that order now, after the drop get a chance at signed book.  That kinda sucks!!  

Exactly my thoughts when I read the newsletter.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Oh jeez. Must we complain about everything?  Enter the damn contest if you want a chance at the signed book. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited June 2017
    Oh jeez. Must we complain about everything?  Enter the damn contest if you want a chance at the signed book. 
    Oh, jeez.  Must you complain about people making comments.  I entered the damn contest.  Just like a slap in the face to those who actually preordered to find out that if I would have waited I could have possibly got a random signed copy.  And I actually ordered a signed copy elsewhere.  Just a comment. Move on.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    Jesus
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Alright, finally bought it. Went with 10C instead of Amazon in hopes of getting the auto :)
    PS, I think there are still copies through the landcamers.com that are signed last time I checked, but $75 is too rich for me.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    Got one just now. Thanks Mike and Ten Club.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Deluxe edition arrived here in Canada with a custom charge of $25.25? What the hell?!? :/ 
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    demetrios said:
    Deluxe edition arrived here in Canada with a custom charge of $25.25? What the hell?!? :/ 
    wow it arrived in canada already!!!!!!!!!musta been pony express !
    sucks to get hit by the random duty charge D...
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    It's like Russian Roulette,

Technically our laws state that anything over $20 needs to charge applicable tax when crossing the border (GST+PST or HST depending what province you live in).   Canada Post charges $15 (sometimes 9.95?) as the fee for ascertaining how much tax to charge.   That's most likely how to get to the math on the fee.

The thing is, is that it costs customs more to ascertain those fee's than that actually make charging the $15.  As such they usually let most things under $100 slide.  Once you get over $100 it's harder to get things to slide.    Technically anything over $20 can have tax assessed on it.  It just that so much goes under the radar we're used to most things not being charged.

At least 10c didn't send at across the border with a courier, it would of been way worse :)
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    a5pj said:
    pretty sweet, again kicking myself because I didn't preorder.
    If anyone has a deluxe version they want to trade I have a bunch of 2000 and 2003 bootlegs for you :) And you can keep the signed Polaroid. 
    @a5pj if you're still looking for a deluxe version, I'd be willing to trade mine for bootlegs.
    edited June 2017
    billyruff said:
    demetrios said:
    wow it arrived in canada already!!!!!!!!!musta been pony express !
    sucks to get hit by the random duty charge D...
    Totally sucks. On the custom forum the description reads ...  Clothing / habits .. Value for duty $102.02. GST/HST $15.30. Handling costs $9.95 = $25.25 CDN. Argh.

It is a beautiful book. After reading & seeing videos of folks opening the Deluxe Edition and the Polaroid falling out so easy I took much care opening it up but still, the print was dented on the bottom left side. Not sure why they couldn't put the Polaroid photo inside the case or inside the book.

Post edited by demetrios on
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    bflynn1 said:
    a5pj said:
    pretty sweet, again kicking myself because I didn't preorder.
    If anyone has a deluxe version they want to trade I have a bunch of 2000 and 2003 bootlegs for you :) And you can keep the signed Polaroid. 
    @a5pj if you're still looking for a deluxe version, I'd be willing to trade mine for bootlegs.
    pmed
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
     Got the book in Ireland! No import charges...makes a change :)
    http://blog.polaroid.com/blog/post/polaroid-unfaded-of-potato-heads-and-polaroids

Polaroid Unfaded: Of Potato Heads and Polaroids

By Mike McCready Jun 7, 2017

Why Polaroids? I have always liked the immediacy and tangibility of Polaroid pictures. In this world of moment-to-moment media distractions, Polaroids can be an anchor to another time, when life was simpler and moved a little slower...

Relinquishing control and letting things happen organically has led to some of the best Polaroid photos in my collection. On the flip side, having a preconceived notion of how a shot should look and spending a lot of time setting it up has led to disappointment... Much like life as a whole—if I just let go, it often works out better for me.

There was a point to taking the photos of cell phones over Jimmy Fallon and Questlove's eyes...

Jimmy Fallon took a picture of his eye with his cell phone and blew it up so he had this big eye. He then put it over his real eye giving this weird, almost creepy image. So I took a Polaroid photo of Jimmy doing that. Questlove also did it and I got the same photo of him. Polaroid photos can fade over time, so it's hard to see it clearly now, but it was a really cool optical illusion of sorts. Was a spur of the moment photo opportunity. I used the older stock Polaroid film with these, and they've since fixed the process to the fading doesn't happen as much as it used to. 

I took these photos when I was on the Jimmy Fallon show jamming with The Roots a few years ago. I'm excited to go back on the show on June 6th to talk about my new book Of Potato Heads and Polaroids. It's always fun. All those guys are great musicians and I love improvising and trying to keep up with them!

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Got my copy in Oz today =)=)
    Very cool book!!!
    My photo has "pry to" written across the top of it.

Glad I splurged on the deluxe version...

'95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    demetrios said:
    http://blog.polaroid.com/blog/post/polaroid-unfaded-of-potato-heads-and-polaroids

Polaroid Unfaded: Of Potato Heads and Polaroids

By Mike McCready Jun 7, 2017

Why Polaroids? I have always liked the immediacy and tangibility of Polaroid pictures. In this world of moment-to-moment media distractions, Polaroids can be an anchor to another time, when life was simpler and moved a little slower...

Relinquishing control and letting things happen organically has led to some of the best Polaroid photos in my collection. On the flip side, having a preconceived notion of how a shot should look and spending a lot of time setting it up has led to disappointment... Much like life as a whole—if I just let go, it often works out better for me.

There was a point to taking the photos of cell phones over Jimmy Fallon and Questlove's eyes...

Jimmy Fallon took a picture of his eye with his cell phone and blew it up so he had this big eye. He then put it over his real eye giving this weird, almost creepy image. So I took a Polaroid photo of Jimmy doing that. Questlove also did it and I got the same photo of him. Polaroid photos can fade over time, so it's hard to see it clearly now, but it was a really cool optical illusion of sorts. Was a spur of the moment photo opportunity. I used the older stock Polaroid film with these, and they've since fixed the process to the fading doesn't happen as much as it used to. 

I took these photos when I was on the Jimmy Fallon show jamming with The Roots a few years ago. I'm excited to go back on the show on June 6th to talk about my new book Of Potato Heads and Polaroids. It's always fun. All those guys are great musicians and I love improvising and trying to keep up with them!

McCready w/ The Roots would be a mind blowing side project! 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    edited June 2017
    Received a signed copy from Strand Books today. Big signature across the top of the inside title page. Very cool. 
  • Not sure what this one's about........

• Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    Travelar said:
    Received a signed copy from Strand Books today. Big signature across the top of the inside title page. Very cool. 
    did you get a shipping email from them?  I had ordered one and haven't heard a thing about it since the order confirmation email they sent last month.
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    edited June 2017
    Travelar said:
    did you get a shipping email from them?  I had ordered one and haven't heard a thing about it since the order confirmation email they sent last month.

I got a shipping notification on the 9th. If it helps, I ordered on May 15th. I know that the verbiage on the sale page was that they would sell what was signed and left over. I don't know if Mike signed enough copies based on orders or if it was truly just what they had leftover. I can imagine that folks who ordered later may not get one, but I hope that isn't the case. 

Good luck! 
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    Travelar said:
    Travelar said:

I got a shipping notification on the 9th. If it helps, I ordered on May 15th. I know that the verbiage on the sale page was that they would sell what was signed and left over. I don't know if Mike signed enough copies based on orders or if it was truly just what they had leftover. I can imagine that folks who ordered later may not get one, but I hope that isn't the case. 

Good luck! 
    I do remember seeing that part, I guess I was hoping they wouldn't oversell.  thanks for the info!
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    Just got a customs notification for £22.37. Dang! =)
    Got mine today.

nice little customs charge....

what a great book though.  Looking forward to spinning a record and flipping through it, tonight I see Tool though!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Received my signed copy from Elliott Bay Book Company!
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    Got it ! thanks Mike, its a beauty!

• Well worth the wait. Thanks Mike!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2017

Well worth the wait. Thanks Mike!
    anyway you'd want to trade your autograph for mine? The autograph I have is signed and says "live and let live".   Long road is my absolute favorite pj song.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Thanks mcgruff but I'll be keeping this! Long Road was my very first live PJ song played at Wembley Arena on June 18th, the same date my grandfather passed away. It's a mega special song and it feels a bit like fate that I ended up getting this one.