The Concept of God

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Consciousness is a very complicated subject and we don't have it figured out yet, but it isn't an all or none situation.
    There are many levels of consciousness, from the base instinct of a bug up to the complex empathy and abstract thoughts of humans and some other mammals.
    When you look at the distinctions in those levels of consciousness, it's easy to see that we are just animals, animals which operate at a high level of cognition.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm guessing there probably are other animals with consciousness- most likely among them being whales, dolphins and elephants. I'm also guessing they're thinking processes may be just as complex as ours only they choose to use their brains differently.  Maybe instead of putting down nearly endless reams of written words, whales have an oral history and philosophy the body of which makes our U.S. Library of Congress look like the school library in small rural town.  Paper would not do them much good.  Maybe instead of using their brains invent new ways to send text messages to their buddies they are content to contemplate how fascinating it is that echinoderms use a  madroporite  to filter water.

And what about cats and dogs?  Our store cat, Edward was on a bench today at chest level and when I said "hi" to him he put his paws up on my shoulder and gave me a hug.  That sure felt like a conscious act to me!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    I'm guessing there probably are other animals with consciousness- most likely among them being whales, dolphins and elephants. I'm also guessing they're thinking processes may be just as complex as ours only they choose to use their brains differently.  Maybe instead of putting down nearly endless reams of written words, whales have an oral history and philosophy the body of which makes our U.S. Library of Congress look like the school library in small rural town.  Paper would not do them much good.  Maybe instead of using their brains invent new ways to send text messages to their buddies they are content to contemplate how fascinating it is that echinoderms use a  madroporite  to filter water.

And what about cats and dogs?  Our store cat, Edward was on a bench today at chest level and when I said "hi" to him he put his paws up on my shoulder and gave me a hug.  That sure felt like a conscious act to me!

What would Edward have done if you said "Piss off", though? ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:

What would Edward have done if you said "Piss off", though? ;)
    Oh, but you have to know Edward!  Sweetest kitty on God's Green Earth (speaking of God)!  I could never say a harsh word to Good Kitty Edward!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rgambs said:
    Consciousness is a very complicated subject and we don't have it figured out yet, but it isn't an all or none situation.
    There are many levels of consciousness, from the base instinct of a bug up to the complex empathy and abstract thoughts of humans and some other mammals.
    When you look at the distinctions in those levels of consciousness, it's easy to see that we are just animals, animals which operate at a high level of cognition.

Yes. And I for one am happy that we can recognize consciousness. As for animals I am not sure yet.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited June 2017
    If there would only be animals on earth I think it would be like paradise. They create a balance. We humans are the leaders. We have great intelligence and can do so much good, but we are the ones failing. I believe we have a purpose here on earth bigger than just surviving.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    We aren't the only animals that wreck ecosystems and change the chemistry and climate on this planet.
    Most of the oxygen we breath was a waste product that was "polluted" into the environment by cyanobacteria (algae).  That by-production created an atmosphere that enabled aerobic organisms and eventually complicated critters like us.
    edited June 2017
    If humans would for some reason disappear, (not that I want that.) Would any other animal take over and dominate earth? I wonder...
    Interesting info about the Cyanobacterias Rgambs, I had no idea, you seem to be very educated. Thank you for sharing!
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2017
    ".                "
    Carnivore
    Hey, It's Sunday, enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/FlwQ3ApJgVo
    Powerful vocal cords. Wow.  She really lets her voice fly on this one.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Even if I'm wrong, I hope there's at least some sort of difference after death for those who are morally empty skin suits. Looking at you Trump cabinet! If nothing matters then this world should disappear.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    Even if I'm wrong, I hope there's at least some sort of difference after death for those who are morally empty skin suits. Looking at you Trump cabinet! If nothing matters then this world should disappear.
    Maybe this:  All thoughts emanate from our bodies as waves of energy (scientific fact).  Maybe the bad thoughts have a negative energy (wild ass-guess) and maybe that negative energy gets sucked into black holes (scientific wild-ass guess).  If so, then assuming evil people have more bad thoughts than good, most of their energy will be vacuumed up and placed in the Universe's dumpster while the good energy circulates joyously through the marvelous blue empyrean.

• amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Very interesting read, different points of view.  Thank you all, for your contribution.

Its a fact that some countries and their populations are never exposed to the idea of God as in Christianity, they have no idea.  Are they just out of luck being born in the "wrong" country, what does the Bible say about them and not believing in God.

amy

Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    Maybe this:  All thoughts emanate from our bodies as waves of energy (scientific fact).  Maybe the bad thoughts have a negative energy (wild ass-guess) and maybe that negative energy gets sucked into black holes (scientific wild-ass guess).  If so, then assuming evil people have more bad thoughts than good, most of their energy will be vacuumed up and placed in the Universe's dumpster while the good energy circulates joyously through the marvelous blue empyrean.
    You can have as many wild ass gusses as you want.  Until the pinball machine that you are playing says "GAME OVER"

edited June 2017
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    You can have as many wild ass gusses as you want.  Until the pinball machine that you are playing says "GAME OVER"

What if I'm the pinball wizard ;)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    amethgr8 said:
    Very interesting read, different points of view.  Thank you all, for your contribution.

Its a fact that some countries and their populations are never exposed to the idea of God as in Christianity, they have no idea.  Are they just out of luck being born in the "wrong" country, what does the Bible say about them and not believing in God.

amy

The Bible indicates we instinctively know of Him. That He is just. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLa said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

Funny thing is I instinctively have flighted all my life from the bible instead of fighting it due to arguments such as this.
    Foxy, you are slowly becoming troll status in this thread.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

Funny thing is I instinctively have flighted all my life from the bible instead of fighting it due to arguments such as this.
    MacLeod, there can be only one and you are it.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    FoxyRedLa said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

Ha!
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

"I'm still living the dream we had
    For me it's not over"
    -Neil Young.

FoxyRedLa said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

Sincerely held opinions expressed sincerely are not trolling, you know that.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    FoxyRedLa said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

Did you not like my answer? Want more words? I can elaborate. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited June 2017
    I instinctively flight from anything de regueur, trendy and cult-like and to my way of thinking, all fundamentalist religions are cult-like.  In fact, I sometimes wonder what the fine line is between a religion and a cult.  Maybe just something as subtle as delivery?

brianlux said:
    I instinctively flight from anything de regueur, trendy and cult-like and to my way of thinking, all fundamentalist religions are cult-like.  In fact, I sometimes wonder what the fine line is between a religion and a cult.  Maybe just something as subtle as delivery?
    I think this is very understandable.
    brianlux said:
    Number of adherents is the obvious difference, and number of leaders.  Once you have more than a handful of people leading the same mass delusion, you are a religion, while it's just one person leading a mass delusion, it's a cult.

Just watched a documentary on the Buddhafield cult that originated in Socal and moved to Austin, TX.
    It was called Holy Hell.  A pretty benign cult compared to some others, but cuckoo!

I challenge any believers who have felt that Holy Spirit to watch it and you will see how non-believers see you.  You will probably pass them off as lunatics, but if you are truly honest with yourself, you will see the deep running similarities to Christianity and the shared delusions of it's followers.
    No one is forced to share their thoughts and beliefs. 
    amethgr8 said:

amy

You ask a great question Amy.  If you come from a place where Christianity is not taught, no you are not out of luck.
    Many nasty self-proclaimed Christian preachers teach that if you don't believe in Jesus at the time of your death you go straight to hell. That my friends just is not biblical.  Hell has been mistaught and misrepresented as long as there have been twisted preachers.  Hell won't even exist until after the millennium.  And even then, it's not frying like a piece of bacon for all eternity.  That's wrong to.  
     Also there are many Christian churches that don't actually teach the truth.  In any  case if you have not had a fair opportunity to learn the truth or if you've been brought up in a way that bashes christians left and right to the point that you don't know what to believe.   There will be an opportunity.
    There is a 1000 year period called The Lord's Day, or Millennium.  During that time all who never got to hear the truth about our Father, or have been mislead will have a chance.  1000 years to make up their mind.  So to say that they don't get a fair chance would be an understatement.  If after that 1000 year period, if you still reject the Lord, you are done it's not going down the escalator to hell as you may have seen on some cartoons.  Blotted out is the correct term.  A state of nonexistence.  At the end of the millennium is when judgement day occurs.  It is Payday for those who choose to follow our Father.  It is bye bye for those who don't.
    The millennium starts the day Jesus Christ returns.  He is coming back but not as a baby and not to be crucified again. He is coming back as king of kings and Lord of lords.
     The great thing about this time
    (the millennium) period is that satin will be locked in an abiss where by his evil spirit won't even be able to roam around and interfere like he does now.  You know all the confusion, deseption pain and suffering is due to none other than satin.  (his day is coming you can be sure of. )
    Remember Jesus comes back at the 7th Trump not the 6th.
    Don't be deceved by satin.
    666 means sixth trump sixth seal and sixth vile hence satin's number.  Satin comes defacto at the 6th trump.
    Christ returns at the 7th trump.
    Trump (trumpet)-call to action.
    Seal- knowledge or lack thereof depending on what you know or don't know.
    Vile-where the rubber meets the road, (action)
    777 is Jesus number.
    This is when Christ returns.  It's gonna be an awesome day.  And it's not that far off.
    Seventh trump seventh seal and seventh vile. Chronologically a few things have to happen yet but things are moving right along.  I'd like to share with you a lot more but this forum might not be the place to do it.  My info comes from the Bible.
    Primarily for what I've mentioned above,
    Mark, Luke, Peter 1&2, (Ezekiel chapter 40 to the end of that book describes the Millennium age. There is more prophecy about the Millennium age in the Book of Ezekiel than even the Book of Revelation. Revelations where you get your chronological events pertaining to the trumpets Satan's return and Jesus return I know this was long but I was trying to answer your question as best I could.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    amethgr8 said:

amy

Yes.   Just like a child that is born to an atheist family....out of luck.  Consider a scenario where a child in an atheist family dies in childhood due to a horrible disease....they would have had no opportunity to learn about Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    RYME said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

You ask a great question Amy.  If you come from a place where Christianity is not taught, no you are not out of luck.
    Many nasty self-proclaimed Christian preachers teach that if you don't believe in Jesus at the time of your death you go straight to hell. That my friends just is not biblical.  Hell has been mistaught and misrepresented as long as there have been twisted preachers.  Hell won't even exist until after the millennium.  And even then, it's not frying like a piece of bacon for all eternity.  That's wrong to.  
     Also there are many Christian churches that don't actually teach the truth.  In any  case if you have not had a fair opportunity to learn the truth or if you've been brought up in a way that bashes christians left and right to the point that you don't know what to believe.   There will be an opportunity.
    There is a 1000 year period called The Lord's Day, or Millennium.  During that time all who never got to hear the truth about our Father, or have been mislead will have a chance.  1000 years to make up their mind.  So to say that they don't get a fair chance would be an understatement.  If after that 1000 year period, if you still reject the Lord, you are done it's not going down the escalator to hell as you may have seen on some cartoons.  Blotted out is the correct term.  A state of nonexistence.  At the end of the millennium is when judgement day occurs.  It is Payday for those who choose to follow our Father.  It is bye bye for those who don't.
    The millennium starts the day Jesus Christ returns.  He is coming back but not as a baby and not to be crucified again. He is coming back as king of kings and Lord of lords.
    (the millennium) period is that satin will be locked in an abiss where by his evil spirit won't even be able to roam around and interfere like he does now.  You know all the confusion, deseption pain and suffering is due to none other than satin.  (his day is coming you can be sure of. )
    666 means sixth trump sixth seal and sixth vile hence satin's number.  Satin comes defacto at the 6th trump.
    777 is Jesus number.
    This is when Christ returns.  It's gonna be an awesome day.  And it's not that far off.
    Seventh trump seventh seal and seventh vile. Chronologically a few things have to happen yet but things are moving right along.  I'd like to share with you a lot more but this forum might not be the place to do it.  My info comes from the Bible.
    Mark, Luke, Peter 1&2, (Ezekiel chapter 40 to the end of that book describes the Millennium age. There is more prophecy about the Millennium age in the Book of Ezekiel than even the Book of Revelation. Revelations where you get your chronological events pertaining to the trumpets Satan's return and Jesus return I know this was long but I was trying to answer your question as best I could.
    What evidence do you have that "it's not that far off"?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    RYME said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

777 is Jesus number.
    I am pretty sure that you have some Milton and Dante mixed in there.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    amethgr8 said:

amy

777 is Jesus number.
    I am pretty sure that you have some Milton and Dante mixed in there.
    I also wonder if Satan is as lustrous and shiny as Satin.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08