NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I really like the strategy of taking away Seth.  Someone said it last night... KD is going to get 34 whether you double him or not.  So hold Seth to 15 and hope Klay has more bad shooting nights... which happen a lot.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    this thread is like skip bayless on repeat (assuming I listened to that blow hard, which I don't).  

lebron is the best nba player ever.  period.  

anyone ripping him for losing to the best team ever (again), is just plain stupid.  the dude is the best.  ever

73-9.  Owned.  Let's get a new best player so we can beat lebron.  What a joke durant is -- go cry to your mom KD.  Softie.  Especially after you had golden state down 3-1 last year (why doesn't ANYONE remember this???) -- (or the fact that Lebron KILLED KD in the finals last time they played?????)

Fans are dumb.  Lebron is the best ever.  Just look at the numbers dummies
    edited June 2017
    jordan played 9 hall of famers in the finals in his career.  The nba in the 90s was hot garbage.  jordan lost to nick fucking anderson.  haha

lebron has already played 26 hall of famers (and this doesn't even include the guys like kevin durant/KDs mom, who arent even eligible yet), in the finals

Post edited by The Fixer on
    the 2017 golden state warriors are the best nba team ever.  they are going to roll the cavs in game 5.  this isn't because lebron 'isn't good enough to be jordan'.  it's because jordan never saw anything like the teams lebron has faced.  and lebron doesn't have anywhere near the help that jordan had with the bulls.  

it's ridiculous that lebron took golden state to six games in 2015 (without love or irving, who were both injured) -- delavadova outplayed curry in that finals.

it's ridiculous that lebron beat golden state after GST had the BEST RECORD IN NBA HISTORY.  Then Lebron became the only team to come back from a 3-1 finals deficit (winning two games on the road - including game 7 where he made the most iconic NBA finals play ever).

now it's ridiculous that lebron is being scrutinized for losing to the greatest team ever - who added one of the two best players in the league.  It's amazing the cavs won a game.  Look at who he's playing with.  Kyrie is hot and cold.  Kevin Love sucks.  And the rest of the roster is 30 years old plus!!!  The Cavs suck.  Lebron is a monster

I'm a sixers fan Trusting the Process.  Sam Hinkie set things up so that the Sixers would get good right as Lebron started to fade.  Lebron may have had his best season ever statistically, but the end is near.  I just wish people would stop hating and enjoy the greatest we've ever seen (and prob will ever see).  As Ferris Bueller said....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbR7axof1wk
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    ^
    So....you like Lebron James?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I remember my first beer.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited June 2017
    Jordan could run fucking circles around Lebron.  Every team in the Finals in the 90s could kick the Heat's or Cav's ass.  Without two clutch 3's from Allen & Irving, Lebron is staring down a 1-7 Finals record.  Best ever my ass.  Play in a time where there's fucking defense.  The NBA hot garbage in the 90s?  Give me a break.  It's a complete fucking joke now.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Jordan could run fucking circles around Lebron.  Every team in the Finals in the 90s could kick the Heat's or Cav's ass.  Without two clutch 3's from Allen & Irving, Lebron is staring down a 1-7 Finals record.  Best ever my ass.  Play in a time where there's fucking defense.  The NBA hot garbage in the 90s?  Give me a break.  It's a complete fucking joke now.
    Todays teams would rain 3's on the old Bulls team.  It wouldn't even be close.  Bulls were good but todays game is sooooo much different now.

Cavs win again tonight.
    I'll take Kerr's word for it that they'd sweep the floor with today's (his) Warriors.

If I were a betting man - and I'm not - I'd probably take Cavs tonight.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Todays teams would rain 3's on the old Bulls team.  It wouldn't even be close.  Bulls were good but todays game is sooooo much different now.

Cavs win again tonight.
    Hard to compare because it's a much different game today with the amount of 3-pointers but that being said I think the Bulls teams with Rodman could do a great job defending this Warriors team.  both Rodman and Pippen could defend Durant at times. Both Pippen and Jordan could defend Curry. how about Rodman on Green, Pippen on Durant, Jordan on Curry and Kukoc on Thompson.  that's a pretty good defensive match-ups there And who would be guarding Jordan and Pippen for the Warriors?
    pjhawks said:

Cavs win again tonight.
    Hard to compare because it's a much different game today with the amount of 3-pointers but that being said I think the Bulls teams with Rodman could do a great job defending this Warriors team.  both Rodman and Pippen could defend Durant at times. Both Pippen and Jordan could defend Curry. how about Rodman on Green, Pippen on Durant, Jordan on Curry and Kukoc on Thompson.  that's a pretty good defensive match-ups there And who would be guarding Jordan and Pippen for the Warriors?
    Rodman would win that battle because he would get inside Greens head, lol!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Rodman vs Green would result in 28 technicals and 14 ejections in a 7 game series.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 612
    edited June 2017
    Comparing eras of NBA basketball is pointless. The game is VERY different, in a lot of ways for the better. In my eyes there have been 3 unique eras of basketball in my lifetime. I can argue for all of them being the best...

1980-1993 - The Bird, Magic, Jordan era. The game eventually became very physical during the end of this era. Some of the greatest teams ever obviously reside here, The 83 Sixers, 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers. Western conference was a joke, much like the current Eastern conference. Lakers ruled the conference without threat until the Blazers came on to the scene.

1994-2010 - Physical play, the Bulls second 3Peat and the birth of pure isolation basketball. League was not great during the Bulls last run. League expanded in 96, talent was thin. Shooting was atrocious, they even moved in the 3 point line which didn't help. Neither the Jazz or Bulls even scored 100 points in any game during the 98 Finals, Jazz scored 54 points in an entire game. Spurs and Lakers dominated from 99-10. Winning 9 combined titles playing less than free flowing basketball. The Pistons vs Spurs 05 Finals was one of the most grotesque example of how unwatchable the game had become. 78-75 scores were not good for the league. Kobe, MCGrady, Vince, Iverson and so on were pure iso players and it hurt the quality of basketball. The Sacramento Kings were one of the few teams that actually passed the basketball.

2011-current - Birth of "Super Teams", fast pace play and 3 point shooting improves at a huge rate. Post play all but dies. Suns deserve a lot of credit in what they did between 2006-2010 for increasing pace and creating a more watchable NBA. LeBron, KD, Curry, Leonard, Davis, Irving etc are all supremely skilled players. Like we've never seen, shooting range, quickness, finishing ability. 

My my favorite era was the late 80's early 90's but the game is more watchable now because of the shooting and lack of tackle basketball. I'd like to see them stop calling ridiculous flagrant fouls but I also don't want us going back to what basketball was in say 1994 when breaking 100 points was a big deal and 3point shooting was awful. A hybrid with the return of post play, a little more physical play and current shooting would be the ultimate version of NBA basketball. Maybe we'll get there.

I've been somewhat critical of LeBron but only for his lack of clutch plays over the years. Place him in 1987 and he'd probably average 40-15-12. He's Magic with 3 times the athletiscm and a body like Karl Malone. 

Post edited by lastexit78 on
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
    Comparing eras of NBA basketball is pointless. The game is VERY different, in a lot of ways for the better. In my eyes there have been 3 unique eras of basketball in my lifetime. I can argue for all of them being the best...

1980-1993 - The Bird, Magic, Jordan era. The game eventually became very physical during the end of this era. Some of the greatest teams ever obviously reside here, The 83 Sixers, 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers. Western conference was a joke, much like the current Eastern conference. Lakers ruled the conference without threat until the Blazers came on to the scene.

1994-2010 - Physical play, the Bulls second 3Peat and the birth of pure isolation basketball. League was not great during the Bulls last run. League expanded in 96, talent was thin. Shooting was atrocious, they even moved in the 3 point line which didn't help. Neither the Jazz or Bulls even scored 100 points in any game during the 98 Finals, Jazz scored 54 points in an entire game. Spurs and Lakers dominated from 99-10. Winning 9 combined titles playing less than free flowing basketball. The Pistons vs Spurs 05 Finals was one of the most grotesque example of how unwatchable the game had become. 78-75 scores were not good for the league. Kobe, MCGrady, Vince, Iverson and so on were pure iso players and it hurt the quality of basketball. The Sacramento Kings were one of the few teams that actually passed the basketball.

2011-current - Birth of "Super Teams", fast pace play and 3 point shooting improves at a huge rate. Post play all but dies. Suns deserve a lot of credit in what they did between 2006-2010 for increasing pace and creating a more watchable NBA. LeBron, KD, Curry, Leonard, Davis, Irving etc are all supremely skilled players. Like we've never seen, shooting range, quickness, finishing ability. 

My my favorite era was the late 80's early 90's but the game is more watchable now because of the shooting and lack of tackle basketball. I'd like to see them stop calling ridiculous flagrant fouls but I also don't want us going back to what basketball was in say 1994 when breaking 100 points was a big deal and 3point shooting was awful. A hybrid with the return of post play, a little more physical play and current shooting would be the ultimate version of NBA basketball. Maybe we'll get there.

I've been somewhat critical of LeBron but only for his lack of clutch plays over the years. Place him in 1987 and he'd probably average 40-15-12. He's Magic with 3 times the athletiscm and a body like Karl Malone. 

that's a really good summation. Agree it's hard to compare eras. the game was different for Jordan than it is for Lebron. that late 90s to a few years ago really turned me off on the NBA. It was unwatchable. I don't think dominant post play is coming back any time soon. Guys today aren't taught post play at a young age and the value of a 3-pointer is too great to throw the ball in the post a lot.

and i know this is probably a bit irrational  but one thing i dislike about watching the NBA is the non-stop music during the play.  If in an NBA finals game in the 4th quarter you gotta play music during the play to get your fans into it there is something wrong.  Do I really need the piped in Defense music and chant on every possession? let the fans themselves create the atmosphere not some pumped in techno pre-recorded bullshit. and i mean during the play. at stoppages like the NHL does i can at least tolerate it, although I think it's kind of ridiculous they have to play it at louder than concert level between stoppages of play. but i digress.

as for saying Lebron would dominate from the 80s well every era that is true of the previous.  Size and athleticism has improved at every era.  Put Shaq back when Wilt played and he would have averaged 50 points a game too.
    pjhawks said:

that's a really good summation. Agree it's hard to compare eras. the game was different for Jordan than it is for Lebron. that late 90s to a few years ago really turned me off on the NBA. It was unwatchable. I don't think dominant post play is coming back any time soon. Guys today aren't taught post play at a young age and the value of a 3-pointer is too great to throw the ball in the post a lot.

and i know this is probably a bit irrational  but one thing i dislike about watching the NBA is the non-stop music during the play.  If in an NBA finals game in the 4th quarter you gotta play music during the play to get your fans into it there is something wrong.  Do I really need the piped in Defense music and chant on every possession? let the fans themselves create the atmosphere not some pumped in techno pre-recorded bullshit. and i mean during the play. at stoppages like the NHL does i can at least tolerate it, although I think it's kind of ridiculous they have to play it at louder than concert level between stoppages of play. but i digress.

as for saying Lebron would dominate from the 80s well every era that is true of the previous.  Size and athleticism has improved at every era.  Put Shaq back when Wilt played and he would have averaged 50 points a game too.
    Right, it's the same argument for the people who say Jim Brown wouldn't have been that good today because other backs, LB's are bigger.  Well if he had professional training, conditioning and nutrition, he would be Lebron James in pads.  You can only compare players within an era for a host of reasons that have been detailed.  
    Yet ironically, I'll say this.  Cleveland has a painful sports history.. too painful.  But I can argue with great passion that we have the greatest NFL player ever (Jim Brown), NFL coach (Paul Brown) and NBA player (LBJ).  We don't have much, but that's not bad.  
    pjhawks said:

They tried no music and Dreymond Green complained about it, lol.

It was at a Knicks/Warriors game.
    NBA Champion Warriors!!! LeBron was incredible but they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. As a lifelong fan I'm still dumbfounded what the Warriors have become. This franchise was crap for almost two decades. Bad trades, bad draft picks and I didn't know if they could ever become a consistent playoff team, let alone the monster they have built. 

Also so for those who thought KD was joining some unstoppable team you're dead wrong. I still say they don't even make the Finals without him. As for the Finals they would have been fortunate to win 2 games without him, the Cavs were ferocious, maybe the best team LeBron has ever played on. The Warriors would have beaten the crap out of any of those Miami teams. Kyrie is playing at a higher level than even Dwayne Wade in his prime and that's saying something. Props to the Cavs for fighting to the end.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Congrats to the new champions!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    NBA Champion Warriors!!! LeBron was incredible but they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. As a lifelong fan I'm still dumbfounded what the Warriors have become. This franchise was crap for almost two decades. Bad trades, bad draft picks and I didn't know if they could ever become a consistent playoff team, let alone the monster they have built. 

Also so for those who thought KD was joining some unstoppable team you're dead wrong. I still say they don't even make the Finals without him. As for the Finals they would have been fortunate to win 2 games without him, the Cavs were ferocious, maybe the best team LeBron has ever played on. The Warriors would have beaten the crap out of any of those Miami teams. Kyrie is playing at a higher level than even Dwayne Wade in his prime and that's saying something. Props to the Cavs for fighting to the end.
    Not sure how old you are but if you can remember Hardaway, Webber, Mullin, Marshall just to name a few of the old guard.

So I saw sloppy basketball from the Cavs.  I saw Isolation basketball from the cavs.  Missed shots and missed opportunities.  Cavs need to tighten up more.

Congrats to the Warriors.  They are amazing at driving a dagger in with the barrage of 3's that they make in bunches.  We have at least 2 more years of this I think before the team gets dismantled because of contracts.
    Beat it Bron. Love seeing him lose.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited June 2017

Not sure how old you are but if you can remember Hardaway, Webber, Mullin, Marshall just to name a few of the old guard.

So I saw sloppy basketball from the Cavs.  I saw Isolation basketball from the cavs.  Missed shots and missed opportunities.  Cavs need to tighten up more.

Congrats to the Warriors.  They are amazing at driving a dagger in with the barrage of 3's that they make in bunches.  We have at least 2 more years of this I think before the team gets dismantled because of contracts.
    Tim Hardaway Mitch Richmond Chris Mullin --RUN TMC. They were mostly late 80's early 90's though. What a fun team to watch back then. Loved playing as them in NBA Live 94. Miss those days.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

Tim Hardaway Mitch Richmond Chris Mullin --RUN TMC. They were mostly late 80's early 90's though. What a fun team to watch back then. Loved playing as them in NBA Live 94. Miss those days.

Run TMC was the team I first followed as a kid. My dad had season tickets during that time period. What an exciting team they were, I still remember them upsetting the Spurs in 91. Trading Richmond for Billy Owens was an awful trade. Then of course they got Webber and then that blew up in their face when he couldn't get along with Neillie. The Sprewell years, trying to build around Antwan Jamison and Larry Hughes. Drafting Curry changed everything though and here we are today.
    It's now officially baseball season... sigh.. Go Tribe.  

Run TMC was the team I first followed as a kid. My dad had season tickets during that time period. What an exciting team they were, I still remember them upsetting the Spurs in 91. Trading Richmond for Billy Owens was an awful trade. Then of course they got Webber and then that blew up in their face when he couldn't get along with Neillie. The Sprewell years, trying to build around Antwan Jamison and Larry Hughes. Drafting Curry changed everything though and here we are today.
    I completely forgot about Sprewell!  
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

I grew up going to those games and watching Run TMC. Can't forget Christ Gatling in that group. Les Jepsen, the token Iowa white boy and so many others. Still in shock the Warriors have become what they are. This should give hope to the other franchises that it could be their turn at some point also.  
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

I grew up going to those games and watching Run TMC. Can't forget Christ Gatling in that group. Les Jepsen, the token Iowa white boy and so many others. Still in shock the Warriors have become what they are. This should give hope to the other franchises that it could be their turn at some point also.  
    Great draft picks is key.  How's that working for the 76'ers and Charlotte?

Pretty good for the Sixers actually. Check back with them next year.
    chinese-happy.jpg

Pretty good for the Sixers actually. Check back with them next year.
    greatest 26 games under .500 team of all time  :relieved:
    The Pacers are the last of my favorite professional sports teams to never win a Championship in my lifetime.  I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.