Set List

Ed On Stage 08:44
Ed Off Stage 11:09

The Red Limo String Quartet are:
Sietse van Gorkom-violin
Camilla van der Kooij-violin
Rani Kumar-viola
Jonas Pap-Cello

{The venue is huge tent covering some kind of asphalt lot.  Seating is general admission so the crowd is at the barricade}

Intro Music: Tuolumne
(Huge response from audience when Ed comes out.  Instead of the first song on the set list Ed decides to play a sing-along.  The audience sings the front on their own with Ed joining in at the 2nd verse)
01. Better Man
02. Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)
03. Sometimes
04. Don't Be Shy-(Stevens)
05. I Am Mine
06. Off He Goes
(Glen Hansard comes onstage carrying a birthday cake. It is Ed’s daughter Olivia’s birthday.  Ed talks about the joy of being surrounded by beautiful women that love him and are loved by him and expresses mock dread that they are officially parents of a teenager.  He gets the audience to sing Happy Birthday to Olivia and has some people on the barricade help blow the candles out.  He then lobs the cake into the audience)
07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
08. Bad-(U2) {partial about 1:30)
09. Wishlist
10. Can’t Keep
11.  Soon Forget
    Quartet enters the stage
12. Sleeping By Myself with quartet
13. It Happened Today-(Buck, Mills, Stipe)-with quartet
    Quartet exits the stage
14. Far Behind
15. Drifting
16. Guaranteed
17. Rise (The internal mic on the mandolin fails so it is no longer going to the PA or monitors.  Ed stops singing but the audience carries on singing for him.  He likes that so much he repeats the chorus a few times with the audience.  After the song he uses a slingshot to launch guitar picks into the crowd)
18. Unthought Known
19. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
20. Porch
22. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour Waters) {Ed plays pump organ}
23. Should I Stay Or Should I Go?-(Headon, Jones, Simonon, Strummer) (played on a Gibson electric ukulele.)
24. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
    Quartet enters the stage
25. Come Back with quartet
26. Black with quartet-(Ed plays electric guitar and sings.  The audience enthusiastically participates)
27. Falling Slowly-(Hansard, Irglová) with Glen Hansard and the quartet {Glen sings lead and plays guitar.  Ed sings harmony except for the bridge where he sings the lead.  More enthusiastic singing by the audience. Glen and Ed are obviously thrilled with the audience.}
    Quartet exits the stage
28. Society-(Hannan) with Glen Hansard.  {Both play acoustic guitar.  Ed sings main vocal while Glen sings harmony.  Glen switches to lead vocal on verse 2}
29. The Auld Triangle-(Dicky Shannon) with Glen Hansard
30. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) with Glen Hansard
Encore Break
31. Hard Sun-(Peterson) with Glen Hansard and Red Limo String Quartet.  {Ed reveals he has a “People’s Republic of Cork” t-shirt}

Glen Onstage 7:30  (set list might be inaccurate)
Glen Hansard Set List
01. American Townland-(Interference)
02. Revelate
03. When Your Mind’s Made Up
04. Bird Of Sorrow
(Poem for Danny Sheehy)
05. McCormick’s Wall  (Glen interrupts song because of all the chatting going on)
06. Vigilante Man-(Guthrie)
07. Way Back

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Great night 
  • gazgaz Posts: 233
    Not in the same league as the Dublin show.... place was full of ignorant fuckers who wouldn't shut the fuck up when Eddie was trying to say something.....and it was pretty badly organised too. Disappointed to say the least.......
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
    gaz said:
    Not in the same league as the Dublin show.... place was full of ignorant fuckers who wouldn't shut the fuck up when Eddie was trying to say something.....and it was pretty badly organised too. Disappointed to say the least.......
    I was okay where I was dead-center about 15 rows back - except for Ed having a few technical difficulties and a few drunk girl ramming me in the back - I thought the show was awesome.  
  • jhill1jhill1 Posts: 1
    Been to ed solo shows since 08 all over and this was perhaps the best one.  Black was beyond anything you'd think would be possible at a pj or ed ved show.  Show never lost pace and was perfect.  Dublin was great but was a mess w the tool coming up to sing black and the concert just didn't have the same pace as this one.  It's all subjective but this killed.  Ga crowd and he totally killed it.  
  • FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    Had an amazing day  :) Queued up early and met some lovely people. Big shout out to all my German friends!!! From our perspective the organization was amazing. We were walked up to the barrier and all got to keep out places, no one got to pass us out. Being from Cork, I was so happy to get one of the signed posters. Ed was in great form, seemed much more together than Dublin. Great interaction and genuinely happy with the response he got. Show was way more concise than Dublin and was great not to have people fucking around all night around us. Black was a highlight, after the shambles in Dublin. Way too many highlights.... I was in Millstreet in 1996, so this was so special almost 21 years later.
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    jhill1 said:
    Been to ed solo shows since 08 all over and this was perhaps the best one.  Black was beyond anything you'd think would be possible at a pj or ed ved show.  Show never lost pace and was perfect.  Dublin was great but was a mess w the tool coming up to sing black and the concert just didn't have the same pace as this one.  It's all subjective but this killed.  Ga crowd and he totally killed it.  
    I agree
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Any given setlist on this tour > any other Ed solo setlist ever
    gaz said:
    I was okay where I was dead-center about 15 rows back - except for Ed having a few technical difficulties and a few drunk girl ramming me in the back - I thought the show was awesome.  
    Froggie said:
    Had an amazing day  :) Queued up early and met some lovely people. Big shout out to all my German friends!!! From our perspective the organization was amazing. We were walked up to the barrier and all got to keep out places, no one got to pass us out. Being from Cork, I was so happy to get one of the signed posters. Ed was in great form, seemed much more together than Dublin. Great interaction and genuinely happy with the response he got. Show was way more concise than Dublin and was great not to have people fucking around all night around us. Black was a highlight, after the shambles in Dublin. Way too many highlights.... I was in Millstreet in 1996, so this was so special almost 21 years later.
    I can understand why the experience must've been so much better for you lads....sounds like you both had decent spots..... Around the fringes though, the fuckin eejit quota went through the roof! There people there who literally didn't have a clue who was on the stage, never mind any of the songs and they all seemed to be 6ft+ . The reason I said I felt it was badly organised is because the seating sections seemed to be able to move freely onto the floor at will and this flooded the place even more than usual.....
    Apart from that, I don't want to be all negative....the set list was fuckin brilliant again, you can tell that he's really enjoying the tour now. Highlights for me:
    Glen:
    Vigilante Man (fucking righteous anger!)
    Way Back in the Way Back When...
    Eddie: 
    Black (strings add even more emotion to this)
    Bad
    Can't Keep
    Rise (especially after the Mandolin lost power!)
    I am Mine
    Off he Goes
    Soon Forget (with the always excellent Trump bashing!!)
    Maybe I shouldn't have posted so soon after the show last night, when I was still pretty annoyed over the wallys that I seemed to be surrounded by......looking back, the good definitely outweighed the bad.... How could it not? It was Eddie Vedder and Glen Hansard ffs!!!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    edited June 2017
    That was more than worth the 450 mile round-trip in the car. Cork you were beautiful! My first EV solo show, and I was about four rows back from the rail in the middle. The crowd around me were animated but sound. The crowd overall in the tent were loud, seemed to be a great atmosphere in there.

Glen Hansard is some man. I haven't seen him since he delivered a spiritual performance with Swell Season at Bonnaroo in 2008. He's just a great story-teller, and as much as Eddie is the man, Glen adds greatly to the show IMO. Glen stopped playing during the delicate 'McCormack's Wall' to ask the crowd further back to quieten down. Normally when an artist does this at a show, things get a bit awkward for a moment. Not with Glen though - "Lads, will ye shut up down there, I can't hear the rest of the people listening, cheers." - Class. Also, 'Falling Slowly' nearly lifted the tarp off the tent near the end of Eddie's set. The smile on Glen's face during it would do you the world of good.

Right, Eddie. He obviously woke up in Cork yesterday morning and thought "How do I just raise this show to 11 straight away tonight?" - 'Better Man', that's how. And obviously, it worked. Great sing-a-long, and then when Eddie joined us in the second verse, his voice was crystal clear. From a guitar POV, interesting to see him play a Fender Strat. With PJ, it's usually Fender Teles and Gibson Les Pauls and SGs that he tours. There was none of those in sight tonight, Strat all the way. I have to say it suits him, he rocked the shit out of it at many points, starting with the Better Man outro.

Overall it was a great mix of tunes. The only thing I wasn't gone on was 'It Happened Today', but I'm just being picky. I'd honestly listen to the man sing the items from a Chinese takeaway menu. I last heard him live on the PJ Euro Tour in 2014 and 3 years later his voice doesn't seem to be weakening. His energy doesn't seem to be dwindling...at all.

Few notes to give a feel of the evening...

-Can anyone tell me what is with the white coats?? I was just reminded of The Buggles looking at them so much tonight!

-Before Ed came out, his lady introduced him onstage...in one of those white coats. She didn't refer to herself as Mrs. Eddie Vedder in any way, so a lot of the crowd mightn't have known exactly who she was, but Jill made a humourous introduction and showed her Irish roots with a strong 'Irish' word and made great use of it.  :o=)I've since been corrected, that was apparently a member of Ed's crew. Still, great introduction and use of our best word!

-Ed made mention of the fact that he or PJ haven't visited Cork in 20 years. He talked about that venue in 1996, Millstreet, and the bales of hay that were scattered around the place when they got down there. As an Irish man, it blows my mind that they played in fucking Millstreet! It's just random, that's all. Lovely countryside, but among one of the last places you'd expect to see Pearl Jam in the mid 90s. Apparently it was a serious gig though.

-I'm pretty sure it was before 'Come Back', but it could have been before 'Black' either, Eddie dedicated the song to a friend who recently passed who means a lot to him and whom he misses. The evening had a joyous tone overall, but during 'Come Back' and 'Black' these were the more sombre moments. 'Black' with a string quartet is just something else. Those seven notes sang over and over by the crowd on the outro, those seven notes played over and over on the violins, Eddie chanting over it all, it was very powerful.

-Speaking of powerful - Ed sitting at the organ for Comfortably Numb was just that.

-During 'The Auld Triangle', some of the interaction between Ed, Glen and the crowd made for a great, final campfire sing-a-long on a night that featured many. They free-styled some of the final verses with good-time lyrics. Ed sang about visiting Ireland to see his friends Bono, Larry and The Edge. Not sure if he mentioned Adam though! Ed asked his guitar tech to bring him a pint during this song, and it got passed around all who were on-stage. Everyone presumed it was a pint of Guinness, and it could have been, but after everyone sipped it Glen said into the mic "It's Murphy's!" to a cheer from the crowd. Murphy's is like Pepsi to Guinness' Coke in Ireland, and is made in Cork, while Guinness is made in Dublin. You can order a Guinness in Cork no problem, but it's not overly the done thing. Nice touch from Glen for the Cork crowd.

Anyway, it was a perfect evening for me in the Marquee. When these gigs were first announced, there were some eyebrows raised at some of the prices. However, If Eddie had have sent around his Cubs hat for a whip-round after the gig last night, I would have emptied my pockets into it. It was worth every cent, every mile and every minute standing on the asphalt from 6.30pm until shortly after 11pm. I hope he returns soon, and after what are reportedly two strong Irish gigs (I wasn't in Dublin, but the reviews from it are serious) and a growing kinship with Glen, I think he or the band will be back soon.

Post edited by stankratz on
  • sebcitysebcity Ireland Posts: 35
    Sounds like a great night guys

About Black in Dublin....yeah the guy butchered it, I was actually upset. But it wasn't supposed to be played at all. So we got to see a bit of it played as it should be! Is that better than not seeing it at all? Not sure. 

EV Solo - Dublin 2017
    Berlin 2018
    EV Solo - Dublin 2019
    Imola 2020 
    Imola 2022
  • Eddie was fantastic. setlist was brilliant. Great opener, for a standing crowd. I try not to compare gigs so I'll leave Dublin stand on it's own. 
    Cork was fun. The crowd around me though - dear me. Perhaps in the standing section it was fine but in the seats it was a pain in the hole. It was as if people just went to an aul gig for the craic not really knowing who was playing. 
    I had to turn around and tell the people behind to stop talking. Two drunk aul lads and two young girls. and the people in front as well. Why pay 100e a ticket to chat obnoxiously loudly. The lads behind me abused me for about 3 minutes but then left, thankfully. It was disappointing for my wife and I but we chose to just focus on the music as much as possible and we did really enjoy ourselves. Well worth the 500km round trip.  Eddie seemed to enjoy himself which is great. It's been 7 years since PJ have been in Ireland - hopefully they'll visit again soon enough so we don't have to keep flying to England (although we'll probably do that too :))
  • emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    stankratz said:

-Before Ed came out, his lady introduced him onstage...in one of those white coats. She didn't refer to herself as Mrs. Eddie Vedder in any way, so a lot of the crowd mightn't have known exactly who she was, but Jill made a humourous introduction and showed her Irish roots with a strong 'Irish' word and made great use of it.  :o=) 

I'm sorry to ruin it for you but it wasn't Jill.

PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
    emjot said:
    stankratz said:

-Before Ed came out, his lady introduced him onstage...in one of those white coats. She didn't refer to herself as Mrs. Eddie Vedder in any way, so a lot of the crowd mightn't have known exactly who she was, but Jill made a humourous introduction and showed her Irish roots with a strong 'Irish' word and made great use of it.  :o=) 

Who was it?
    emjot said:
    stankratz said:

Ha Ha!!! Unless she teleported herself over from the Bonnaroo festival for the night!!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2017
    15 Pearl Jam songs plus RITFW?

He really needs to put out some new music... not a big fan of these solo shows becoming PJ greatest hits shows
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • my2hands said:
    15 Pearl Jam songs plus RITFW?

He really needs to put out some new music... not a big fan of these solo shows becoming PJ greatest hits shows
    Well don't go then. Eddie solo is a completely different beast to PJ. A superb Eddie setlist could make for a disappointing PJ setlist; it's why comparison is a killer. 
    Just enjoy it for what it is. And if you don't like it, don't go. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2017
    i've seen EV before... and loved it... not trying to be negative, just sharing an observation... I think he is feeling pressured playing slightly larger venues with no real new music so he is leaning heavy on the PJ catalog... I don't mind him playing PJ songs, maybe just not as many PJ live staples?
  • PB204344PB204344 Posts: 13
    emjot said:
    stankratz said:

Who was it?
    I'm pretty sure it was someone from the crew? In Dublin she said to "not use your mobile devices, unlike those C**ts in London". Bit harsh but was mostly observed after that...
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    PB204344 said:
    emjot said:
    stankratz said:

Who was it?
    I'm pretty sure it was someone from the crew? In Dublin she said to "not use your mobile devices, unlike those C**ts in London". Bit harsh but was mostly observed after that...
    She is the girlfriend of Simon the guitar tech
    Ed did say he'd be seeing Stone soon before playing Black, new album/tour? 
  • stankratzstankratz Posts: 183

emjot said:
    stankratz said:

Yep, that wasn't Eddie's lady. Apologies. Seems a few made that mistake near the front - Whoever that person was, it was a good introduction and her use of c*** was immaculate!
    Ridiculously misinformed piece of writing.....
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    I thought Cork was going to be a let down after Dublin.  Happy to be wrong.  If anyone has a large cork t-shirt let me know.  Sold out early.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Great show! Better than expected. It was like a festival crowd but on a small scale.

As for the complaints about the crowd- (I'm not Irish BTW)
    Yeah, there was a lot of moving around and some talking but hey, it's Ireland. If there's one thing I've learned after living here for 13 years is that the Irish don't follow rules closely. You can find that endearing or get pissed off by it. I figured it was going to be a bit chaotic with it being a big GA tent with only a limited seating on the sides. If Eddie wanted the show to be a quiet, intimate performance he wouldn't have chosen it as the venue. Crowd was bananas and he was clearly feeding off of it.

eddiec said:
    Great show! Better than expected. It was like a festival crowd but on a small scale.

As for the complaints about the crowd- (I'm not Irish BTW)
    Yeah, there was a lot of moving around and some talking but hey, it's Ireland. If there's one thing I've learned after living here for 13 years is that the Irish don't follow rules closely. You can find that endearing or get pissed off by it. I figured it was going to be a bit chaotic with it being a big GA tent with only a limited seating on the sides. If Eddie wanted the show to be a quiet, intimate performance he wouldn't have chosen it as the venue. Crowd was bananas and he was clearly feeding off of it.

Fair play to ye!!!!
  • emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    So how do you get your head around after a show LIKE THAT? 
    After meeting Ed again? And Glen, on top of that? 
    After queuing, meeting friends, making new ones, after the whole day, night, after this overall mindblowing experience?

How?  

PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *