Options

ISO Mellon collie LP

KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
This might be a long shot here, but I'm looking for one of the two original pressings of this (numbered or unnumbered). Not really sure what the value of these are these days though. The ebay prices are all over the place and I'm leery of fakes. Anyone got any info to help me out?

As always, thanks in advance for the insight! 

Comments

• Options
    Let's start with this as a jumping off point: Is it worth more or less than a colored PJ20?
  • Options
    Check this out? It'll give you a median price to expect for the release you're looking for. 

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=mellon+collie+and+the+infinite+sadness&format_exact=Vinyl&type=all&layout=med

Depending on on the specific version your looking for looks like $70 - $375 
    here for the music...
  • Options
    That's helpful, thanks. Not nearly as expensive as I thought.

Does anyone have any insights on the quality difference between the first/second pressings and the official reissue?
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Out of interest, why would you want to pay more for one of the earlier presses than purchase the widely available 4 LP Box? I recently bought it, and in my humble opinion, it sounds fantastic.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    There i nothing wrong with the reissue..it sounds very good and I have one of the first editions with some of the "problems" which are blown out of proportion.
    If I recall, there is a very small section of "1979" that doesnt sound great but not near enough for me to have exchanged it over.
    Grab the reissue, its a beautiful set.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    mwplum said:
    Out of interest, why would you want to pay more for one of the earlier presses than purchase the widely available 4 LP Box? I recently bought it, and in my humble opinion, it sounds fantastic.
    That's actually a great question that I can't really answer. I guess I'm kind of a purist when it comes to vinyl and have always preferred original pressings over reissues. It's the collector in me, I guess. I'm sold on the reissue of this one though. Thanks for the guidance everybody!
  • Options
    superfuzz30superfuzz30 Posts: 368
    edited June 2017
    Good luck. I just got my OG press of this in November. Sounds incredible. Much better than the 1st press of the reissue(cant speaked for the 2nd press and I've never heard it). Reissue isnt bad but man...

Also worth noting that the OG press has a totally different song order and gives such a different experience that I REALLY like.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185

Original pressing is superb. Like the poster above mentioned, it has a totally different song sequence that gives the record a whole different vibe. Also has two unreleased (at that time) songs. I have both pressings and I agree that the repress/reissue is fine. They did a great job re-mastering it for vinyl.

The OG is gonna set up back at least $300 to $500 for a real one. There are so many fakes out there so be very careful.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    There i nothing wrong with the reissue..it sounds very good and I have one of the first editions with some of the "problems" which are blown out of proportion.
    If I recall, there is a very small section of "1979" that doesnt sound great but not near enough for me to have exchanged it over.
    I felt like I need to chime in here. I don't think anything was blown out of proportion in regards to the first pressing of the reissue. There were several problems with Inner Grove Distortion on that release. Zero being the worst of it (It gets all fuzzed out by the tracks end, but its noticeable from the start). If your table doesn't pick it up, thats awesome. Some tables are better at plowing through any IGD. But it was a very real problem that many had problems with (read Steve Hoffman forums, or vinyl collective). It affected to varying degrees the last track on each side. But it wasn't blown out of proportion it was most definitely real and very noticeable for many. 

The current pressing is a new cut and it sounds fabulous. I have the original, and the second pressing of the reissue, both sound great, But Id go with the cheaper one (the reissue). Its a nicer package. 
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    I felt like I need to chime in here. I don't think anything was blown out of proportion in regards to the first pressing of the reissue. There were several problems with Inner Grove Distortion on that release. Zero being the worst of it (It gets all fuzzed out by the tracks end, but its noticeable from the start). If your table doesn't pick it up, thats awesome. Some tables are better at plowing through any IGD. But it was a very real problem that many had problems with (read Steve Hoffman forums, or vinyl collective). It affected to varying degrees the last track on each side. But it wasn't blown out of proportion it was most definitely real and very noticeable for many. 

The current pressing is a new cut and it sounds fabulous. I have the original, and the second pressing of the reissue, both sound great, But Id go with the cheaper one (the reissue). Its a nicer package. 

I, too, remember hearing some really bad things about the first pressing.

I don't remember any problems with my copy but I am def going back and checking it tonight.

I have a different TT now than I did in 2012.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Yeah, I have an OG Technics MKII with high end stylus. I heard very minimal noise on Zero, but yes, there was some present. Just wasnt a big enough deal to me to go thru a return process. Was very pleased with it overall.
    I say it was blown out of proportion because many times on those forums, I have read that one in particular at the time, I feel people exaggerate in a group setting, especially in dealing with the fragile nature of vinyl playback/subjective audio opinions. Saying that, Of course I believe there were issues.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    fanofzsfanofzs NYC Posts: 507

+1.  A couple of years ago, I experienced this as well.  I even tried a replacement but same "Zero" distortion.  I was really surprised.  I have never heard distortion like this on a "new" record.  I returned both box sets to Amazon.  Ended up purchasing the high quality digital version on Pono...fantastic!